Ron Paul: Down with Deadly Drones, Both Foreign and Domestic

by Ron Paul

Last week I joined several of my colleagues in sending a letter to President Obama requesting clarification of his criteria for the lethal use of drones overseas. Administration officials assure us that a “high degree of confidence” is required that the person targeted by a drone is a terrorist. However, press reports have suggested that mere “patterns of behavior” and other vague criteria are actually being used to decide who to target in a drone strike. I am concerned that an already troublingly low threshold for execution on foreign soil may be even lower than we imagined.

The use of drones overseas may have become so convenient, operated as they are from a great distance, that far more “collateral damage” has become acceptable. Collateral damage is a polite way of saying killing innocent civilians. Is the ease of drone use a slippery slope to disregard for justice, and if so what might that mean for us as they become more widely used on American soil against American citizens?

This dramatic increase in the use of drones and the lowered threshold for their use to kill foreigners has tremendous implications for our national security. At home, some claim the use of drones reduces risk to American service members. But this can be true only in the most shortsighted sense. Internationally the expanded use of drones is wildly unpopular and in fact creates more enemies than it eliminates.

Earlier this month a former top terrorism official at the CIA warned that President Barack Obama’s expanded use of drones may actually be creating terrorist “safe havens.” Robert Grenier, who headed the CIA’s counter-terrorism center from 2004 to 2006, told a British newspaper that, “[the drone program] needs to be targeted much more finely. We have been seduced by them and the unintended consequences of our actions are going to outweigh the intended consequences.”

After a drone strike in Yemen last month once again killed more civilians than suspected al-Qaeda members, a Yemeni lawyer sent a message to President Obama stating “Dear Obama, when a U.S. drone missile kills a child in Yemen, the father will go to war with you, guaranteed. Nothing to do with Al Qaeda.” These are the unseen victims of the president’s expanded use of drones, but we should pay attention and we should ask ourselves how we would feel if the tables were turned and a foreign power was killing innocent American children from thousands of miles away. Would we not feel the same?

The expanded use of drones overseas has been matched with the expanded use of drones in the United States, which should alarm every American who values the Constitution and its protections against government interference in our private lives. Recently, the governor of Virginia welcomed the expanded use of drones in his state because they “make law enforcement more productive.” I find that attitude chilling and am sure I am not alone.

Do we want to live in a country where our government constantly flies aircraft overhead to make sure we are not doing anything it disapproves of? Already the Environmental Protection Agency uses drone surveillance to spy on farmers and ranchers to see if they are in compliance with regulations. Local law enforcement agencies are eyeing drone use with great anticipation. Do we really want to live under the watchful eye of “Big Brother”? It is terrifying enough to see how drones are being misused abroad. We must curtail the government’s ability use drones right away lest the massacres in Yemen and Pakistan turn out to be crude training exercises for what the administration has in mind on our own soil.

1. Sue Republican thugs for all they are worth- arrest and prosecute them. Teach Republican leaders a lesson in ethics and principles because they don't have any.
    Democrats are worse- they assassinate people- like Hillary Clinton's deceased campaign leaders.

2. Sue Republican thugs for all they are worth- arrest and prosecute them. Teach Republican leaders a lesson in ethics and principles because they don't have any.

3. French Canadian

Hey people! This post is about DRONES, not about RAND.

You better start worrying about these drones, because they will soon fly in your skies all over your country.

Only Ron Paul would stop this insanity.
    So concentrate on getting him the nomination in Tampa.

If he loses, you will have two choices: Write his name on the ballot, or vote Gary Jonhson.

4. AMEN!!!!

5. REMEMBER-THERE ARE MANY PEOPLE ON HERE TRYING TO STIR UP ANTAGONISM AND DIVISION....I encourage every Ron Paul supporter to wait until TAMPA and see what happens before you jump ship. Remember that this is only a small test compared to what other people around the world have had to overcome to get liberty. No one knows all the facts, and until we do, refrain for making judgments on emotion and not on reason. Put your energy into doing whatever you can to get Ron Paul nominated and helping our delegates and people who have filed these lawsuits. Then you can say you did your best and then go from there what you will do in November. I have not given up, and I don't think anyone else should either. The blame game doesn't create any positive changes. We have to stay together for the people that are still fighting for our freedoms. There is a lot at stake here with all this internal turmoil. Remember what Ron Paul has said time and time again=IT'S UP TO US. I don't know how many times he encouraged all of us to collect the evidence for election and voter fraud. I encourage everyone to get involved in November and act as observers and collect information. It was the best thing we did in our primary to make sure everything was above board in our county.

6. Ron Paul & Rand Paul are traitors to the cause of liberty & the Constitution. What a shame that we have been duped by these slicksters. Selling out those who absolutely believed in them. Just another politician doing what they know how to do best. LIE & MANIPULATE

7. I see a couple of folks here saying they will write Paul in. Wouldn't a better vote be cast for Gary Johnson Libertarian?

Don't waist a vote writing someone in. We have a valid 3rd party candidate that we need to promote with the same level of enthusiasm that we have given Paul.

Isn't it MORE important to get our message of sound money and peace out to the public? Gary needs YOUR support to hit 15% to get on the national debates. Currently stands at 9%. With 70% of the population having NEVER heard of him. I talked about him over the weekend with various family members who asked me if I was going to support Romney now that "it's over". I can see that there is a lot of work to do here folks, but we need to promote the cause and increase awareness. Not wallow in a pity pool over Ron Paul's campaign -all but over.

FWIW- I still proudly sport my Ron Paul bumper sticker that I was also asked about at family gatherings over the weekend.

8. Ron Paul needs to change party affiliation TODAY and run 3rd party!!!!!

9. I love ron paul and I am one of his biggest supporters. The problem is that people in this world tend to latch onto ideas and not let them go because things change or the truth comes to light. You have to be willing to question what you see and even doubt your beliefs if you start to see things go down a different road. I know there is nothing that will ever make me vote for obama or romney. It would take a miricle but everything comming out of their mouth is a kiss butt lie and empty promises.

As much as I love ron paul, I do question Rands decision and I question the motives and this situation surrounding it. I am determined not to be blindly led down a path that we are seemingly always led down. I see ron paul telling everyone that he basically knows he wont win anything in this election and I see a man who has nothing at all bad to say about his biggest competition, who further more, used his powers in the media to step on ron pauls neck. This man never once questioned why there were no mentions of Ron Paul ever in the media even after he lost to him. The funny thing is, I dint really hear Ron Paul bring it up either. I would think he would be furious about this! Did Rand Paul ever bring up how they were trying to silence his father on tv? How did we see it and not them? Secrets secrets and more secrets as to how and why this or that blah blah blah. As if you could not see that rand was going to do what he did. To pretend like Ron Paul would not aprove of his decision is pretending the tooth fairy exists. Guys as much as I hate to say it...this was planned for longer than you think. I know you guys love Ron Paul but sometimes you just have to let that idea go and go down another path. We are not idiots and we shouldnt be led like this. We are talking about a candidate who spoke for so long on change and only to have his son go with the complete opposite candidate and we should accept that and get behind that campaign? ROMNEY AND RON PAUL ARE BUDDYS AND THEIR WIVES BAKE COOKIES TOGETHER GUYS! SNAP OUT OF IT!!!! This is over, we in the end were duped! It wont be long before the Paul campaign will be asking romney to cover costs racked up for campaigning. I will be voting for the libertarian candidate because that would be making more of a statement then writing in ron pauls name and throwing my vote away. I will still listen and agree with what Ron Paul has to say about how things should be, but I absolutly wont be voting for him after this. If he really cared about us our support for him, dont you think he would be a little more aggresive in his campaign? Maybe speak up about injustices done onto him a little more? Maybe tell the people "hey stick with me, I will never get behind romney" "we are going to see this to the end" "Romney is the worst thing that can happen to this country and has absolutly zero chance of beating obama" Maybe even getting the college students more fired up, hell I dont know. Im out of this one and it was a hard decision but I wont be led anymore.

10. get real. Of course ron paul knew about rands decision. Thats why you never herd ron paul mutter one bad thing about romney this entire campaign. At least not near the level of what he said about santorum.

11. your so cute ...you dumb little hack ... keep trying to spread your hype ... it's so fun watching you squeal knowing it's NOT working hahahhaa loser !!

12. you poor little hack ... really working over time are ya ..

13. hahaha ..it just burns you ... that the world loves and supports Dr. Paul
    get lost you stupid hack ... you have LOST !!

14. Oh and 168 of Romney's "bound" delegates are suing the RNC and 7 state GOPs in order to vote for Ron Paul. They are also suing for voter fraud, intimidation, and countless other voter's rights violations. They filed it today with the 9th circuit court. This is some big news!!!

15. you little whiner ... give it up ... you have lost with all your hype ..now get lost you hack !

16. get lost you stupid hack !

17. shut up you stupid hack ... and get lost !

18. YouTube will never stop our revolution. We shall overcome.

19. Dear Ron Paul, First of all what is wrong with your son to dessert you? Has he been brainwashed by big government? Romney is a war monger. Just what we don't need. Why would he support him?
    I also am mad about the senators and congressman having the DOJ go after Roger Clemens, what a waste of money. Who cares if he lied to congress, Congress always lies to us.
    I wish you would really create a stir and ask for a new 911 investigation with a grand jury with suboena rights . You must know that these buildings had to have explosives planted in them to fall the way they did. Why does congress refuse to do an investigation into this matter. I have ;ost my respect for our leaders because of the cover-up of this matter. What are you hiding? Please respond? Thank you James Minnema a devoted follower

20. this is so true!
    drones actually create more enemies than they eliminate!
    millions of Pakistanis, Yemenis, and Afghani citizens hate US GOVERNEMNT and their drone policies! and funny thing is they also hate taliban and other groups.
    BUT when they lose their children due to drone strikes, they start supporting taliban and co.