Ron Paul: Democracy ≠ Freedom

by Ron Paul

As we enter the fall political season, we will hear a great deal of rhetoric from both major political parties and their many candidates for office. It’s important for us to remember, however, that words can be made meaningless by misuse or overuse. And when we as citizens allow politicians to obscure the truth by distorting words, we diminish ourselves and our nation.

For example, we’ve all heard politicians use the words “democracy” and “freedom” countless times. They are used interchangeably in modern political discourse, yet their true meanings are very different. They have become what George Orwell termed “meaningless words”. Words like “freedom,” “democracy,” and “justice,” Orwell explained, have been abused for so l?ong that their original meanings have been eviscerated. In Orwell’s view, such words were “often used in a consciously dishonest way.”

Without precise meanings behind words, politicians and elites can obscure reality and condition people to reflexively associate certain words with positive or negative perceptions. In other words, unpleasant facts can be hidden behind purposely meaningless language. As just one example, Americans have been conditioned to accept the word “democracy” as a synonym for freedom. Thus we are conditioned to believe that democracy is always and everywhere benevolent.

The problem is that democracy is not freedom. Democracy is simply majoritarianism, which is inherently incompatible with freedom. While our Constitution certainly features certain democratic mechanisms, it also features inherently undemocratic mechanisms like the First Amendment and the Electoral College. American is a constitutional republic, not a democracy. Yet we’ve been bombarded with the meaningless word “democracy” for so long that few Americans understand the difference.

If we intend to use the word freedom in an honest way, we should have the simple integrity to give it real meaning: Freedom is living without government coercion. So when a politician talks about freedom or liberty–regardless of the issue being discussed– ask yourself whether he is advocating more government force or less.

The words “liberal” and “conservative” have also been abused. “Liberalism,” which once stood for civil, political, and economic liberties, has become a synonym for omnipotent coercive government. Liberalism has been redefined to mean liberation from material wants, always via a large and benevolent government that exists to create equality on earth.

“Conservatism,” meanwhile, once meant respect for tradition and distrust of active government. But in recent decades conservatism has been redefined as support for big-government grandiosity via military adventurism, corporatism, and inflationary monetary policy. The modern political right has redefined conservatism into support for an all-powerful central state, provided that the state furthers supposedly conservative goals.

Orwell certainly was right about the use of meaningless words in politics. Our task, therefore, is to reclaim our language and reclaim our liberties. If we hope to remain free, we must cut through the fog and attach concrete meanings to the words politicians use to deceive us.

1. What do you think about using the meta description on web pages?
    Someone told me Matt Cutts said to stop using them a few months ago
    as they are no use anymore
    Added this to FB wall, very useful

2. The dark side of democracy is mob rule, and in mob rule, freedom is just an illusion.

3. Also I would research who the Libertarians are and their back grounds. I have not researched only Paul as of yet, but I have heard from reliable sources that whilst the surface message is very palatable, the undercurrent of their agenda is to be able to discriminate against whom they want with no government interference, that is also why they are on the Right in your country. Libertarians globally are usually left and non-racist, not so in the U.S, which is cause for concern.

4. Hahaha we are? you are a good man. I respect that. But the way our election turns out may actually have more of an effect than you think it would. But i guess time will tell, and i actually support Gary Johnson (Libertarian). What every happens in these up coming months may change the world forever. I just hope it's for the better. See ya later, hopefully.
    -AfricanAbraham

5. Ok Abe ill take your word for it, but if you want to find out if he is or not research for yourself. Im actually not a U.S. citizen and have no stake in how your election turns out. My beef is against racism, no matter where it is. and I dont care who does it. I would start googling Ron Paul and his racist ties past and present. Research his donors and those infamous letters. But don't do any of that, if your just going to do it to justify your opinion. You Americans r notorious for that

6. Wow, that's terrible but sorry to say that is not me. Also I never said anything racist and I can promise you I didn't make this account for these situations (if so I would have commented on a WHOLE lot more videos). Neo-Nazi? what leads you to that conclusion? The fact he wants smaller government, or more liberty for all American people? Has he ever stated that he is in fact a "neo-nazi?" Or is it propaganda trying slander the one good man in politics so the masses stay ignorant? Think about it

7. Im not Anti-Paul but I am Anti-racist,

8. Really Mate? do you know how many racist in England and America put a black guy and name on their moniker and run around saying the most racist shite and then retreating back to "wait it cant be racist Im black". Look mate if you wanna believe some unapologetic neo-nazi because "he doesnt seem to put his racism in any of his ideas" I have a bridge to sell you, it crosses the Thames and is a little old but Ill sell it to you real cheap. If you call right now.

9. Well you don't have to believe I'm black, if you don't want to. (i mean why would i name myself AFRICANAbraham but whatever). And obviously you don't know his background of when he was doctor. (i suggest you look that up, your choice though). And believe me I despise racism. Seriously? It's so ignorant to be racist. But in the case of fixing America, he doesn't seem to put his "racism" in any of his ideas.

10. If you have a point to prove that Slavery was not the issue of the civil war, I have yet to see it. I will be polite and save my retort for when you provide a suitable response.

11. LOL BLoke If I had a pound for every white guy jumped up and said their black online, in defense of some wack racist, i'd be a billionaire. Second, you dont think he was racist because he was a doctor? Now that is fuck all the lamest ever excuse I heard for someone not being racist. Why does every racist online think that being "Black" would all of the sudden make their racism non racist.

12. One thing that I have seen time and time again after watching Ron Paul Videos and reading the comments, is the extent of hypocrisy spewed by those calling Ron Paul and his supporters Racist. In fact, in almost every instance, the person attacking Mr Paul or his supporters posts the most HATE filled reponses of all. Many sound quite rascist and ANTI WHITE. The only time I see someone attacking any races outright here on these videos, it's these hateful hypocritical anti-Ron Paul people.