Where is Ron Paul?

RonPaul.com is the largest Ron Paul fansite on the Internet. We receive hundreds of emails each week from all over the world. These messages give us a good sense of the currents of opinion and sentiment prevailing among fellow Ron Paul supporters.

In recent weeks we increasingly gained the impression that many supporters were feeling a bit out of the loop. They want to know… “What is Ron Paul up to?” – “Is he still running for President?” – “Has he endorsed anyone?”

We don’t claim to have any specific inside information, but we do feel that Ron Paul supporters deserve to know what’s going on. That’s why we decided to analyze some of Ron Paul‘s recent speeches and interviews. Our findings are presented below.

First, a few quick facts:

Ron Paul is no longer actively running or campaigning for President.

He ended his campaign on August 28 with a one hour speech at the University of Florida Sun Dome.

Ron Paul: During the campaign, I got a lot of advice. Can you believe that, a lot of advice? Sometimes from strangers, sometimes from our enemies, sometimes from my family as well.

(“During the campaign” refers to the past and obviously implied that the campaign was now over.)

Ron Paul is an official write in candidate in several states, but that’s entirely due to his supporters’ efforts. Ron Paul did not discourage these efforts but he stated very clearly that he is not actively participating.

Ron Paul: I get a lot of questions on that, a lot of phone calls and emails, and people sometimes want me to sign something, to fully endorse it as a legal matter. But I haven’t signed anything, so I neither encourage it nor discourage it, because of the frustration, because in some places they won’t count the votes. But if people feel totally exasperated and still want the satisfaction of doing something, there shouldn’t be anything wrong with it. But I don’t ever want to lead people to deception like, “Oh yea, if we have this write in campaign and all of a sudden major things will happen”. And that’s not true. If there is a write in campaign, those individuals that are doing it, the most important thing is to hold their feet to the fire and make them count them. But they don’t [count them]. Politics is not always a very clean business. That’s why it’s a lot easier to deal with philosophy than it is with politics. Politics is a tool but it’s not necessarily an end. The end is changing the philosophy. So if these campaigns one way or the other can get attention to serve the issues then I think it’s worthwhile.

Ron Paul has not endorsed anyone and he did not reveal who he will be voting for, or if he is going to be voting at all.

Ron Paul: I haven’t decided yet, at least I have decided not to announce it, so I’m going to sort of sit tight for a little bit longer. […] I haven’t announced support for Romney, that means it’s very unlikely, and I don’t think anybody thinks I’m going to vote for Obama. It’s back to that frustration level of not seeing a dramatic choice in the way the system works.

Ron Paul said a few nice words about Libertarian candidate Gary Johnson, but they do not amount to an endorsement.

Ron Paul: I think [Gary Johnson] is wonderful and I think he’s doing a good job, and people should look at him, and every individual should make up their own mind.

Ron Paul recently stated that Romney might be better on taxes and Obama might be better on foreign policy. But none of that can be construed as an endorsement.

Ron Paul: Would Romney be better for America than Obama? I think not necessarily, no. (Applause) Is that a gentle no? (Laughter) And the reason I say a little bit is, maybe in some areas he might be a little better, and maybe in other areas Obama might be a little bit better. The odds of us expanding war and getting in more trouble is worse with Romney. When it comes to maybe hitting you with a higher tax, you’re a little bit better off with Romney.

What Should Ron Paul Supporters Do Now?

With Ron Paul out of the race, what is the best course of action? Write in Ron Paul to express our principles? Support Gary Johnson to build the Libertarian party? Vote for Romney to get rid of Obama?

Why Romney Doesn’t Need the Liberty Movement

Mitt Romney’s political career is a testament to the fact that he would say and do anything to get elected. If he believed that gaining some of the votes of the 5+ million Ron Paul supporters in this country would have been worth the effort of reaching out to Ron Paul and the liberty movement, Romney would not have hesitated to have done so.

But hesitate he did. And not just that… he went on to viciously and repeatedly spit in the collective faces of Ron Paul and his supporters.

Does Romney believe that the morally bankrupt rallying cry “But we have to defeat Obama!” will be sufficient for the liberty movement to hold its nose and vote for Mitt?

Romney is an intelligent and calculating man, so he must know that this will work only with a small percentage of the movement.

This leaves only one possible conclusion:

Romney already knows that he is going to win, and that he can do so without the liberty movement’s support.

Rand Paul basically said the same thing just a couple of days ago:

Rand Paul: My prediction, and of course I could be wrong, but my prediction is that this is going to be 1980. This is going to be an election that was projected to be very close, we have all these battleground states, but in the end Romney is going to pull away and he’s going to win by a bigger percentage than anyone predicts, because I think the polling is modeling on 2008 and not really factoring in an enormous wave of Election 2010, and I think that we’re still headed in that same direction.

If Rand’s assessment is correct and if Romney has victory in the bag, then there is no reason for Ron Paul supporters to vote for Romney just to get Obama out of office.

2012 Is Lost – But the Future Belongs to Us

More than 20,000 Ron Paul supporters have already pledged to cast a principled vote for Ron Paul even in the face of electoral defeat. That’s commendable and wonderful. Others are supporting Gary Johnson to help strengthen the largest third party. A few will still be voting for Romney because they hate Obama or believe that Romney is the lesser of two evils. And some Ron Paul supporters are even strategically rooting for Obama, saying that the inevitable backlash against a second term would lay the groundwork for a Ron Paul comeback in 2016.

For those of us who have been hoping for a Ron Paul Independent run this year, or at least for clear directions on who we should vote for… well, none of that is forthcoming. Ron Paul simply says, “You can do what you want… but just do it.” And that’s what liberty is all about.

America Isn’t Ready for President Ron Paul… Yet.

It’s up to us to prepare America for Ron Paul‘s ideas so that we can prevail in 2016 and beyond. We have to wake up our friends, families, neighbors, and even random strangers, by educating them about liberty. We can still use the open and uncensored Internet to spread the message, but who knows for how long? This is a race against time, and every day counts. Will you too do your part?

Ron Paul: Although I see so much good progress, I see also danger on the horizon and it makes it even more crucial that we’re successful in what we’re trying to do. Fortunately, we still have a little bit time, but that time may run out quickly. It may run out in a month, it may run out in a year, it may run out in five years. So the more time we have to persuade more people to our side. I do not work on the assumption that all of a sudden we’re going to have a new Congress and we’re going to start repealing. I’ve never believed that for a minute. But, that doesn’t mean that things can’t change. Things are going to break down, and then there’s going to be opportunities, and the best thing that can probably happen is when government totally loses its credibility and their money doesn’t work and everybody goes on their own and people become independent and there will be de-facto nullification and we’ll just flat out ignore the Feds. And that is a possibility, but the real danger is they will cling to power, because that is all that they know, is clinging to the power and using that power to suppress the people.

• Josiah

Ron paul has played all of his supporters including me. He consistently claims that this country is going to collapse and foolishly ran on a rigged two party system that played him like a fool and is passively still in the same party, and never thought after he had all the momentum ever in his life to run third party where he was polled to actually win and in other polls make a huge impact where he could of least debated obama and romney made them look like fools and had a percentage of the vote that would allow federal funding for third party candidates. And still hasn’t endorsed Gary johnson that has 95 percent of the same policies he has and actually asked him to endorse him in 08! What is going on? I thinking a collapse is what is expected whoever gets the next term.

• Commador

Ron Paul, I am sure you know by now the United Nations and The Banking Cartel have overthrown this Government thru the TSA and Homeland Security.
    If you can leave the Country do so now. If you are going to remain, get ready for a fight, they are coming for our guns and then us!

Highly rated. What do you think? Thumb up 10 Thumb down 0

• Janet

I think Ron Paul is right where we need him. Remember his revolution consisted of changing the “rulers” in the Senate and Congress. The Presidential office – by law – is the President’s back-up, his power house. We need more conservatives and less liberals in both houses. He has far more power there than he would as a President with a Liberal leaning Senate and Congress. As for the other two candidates, I think the one who believes in God will be more willing to let God direct him than a Godless one.

• http://www.metrolyrics.com/abolish-governmentsilent-majority-lyrics-tsol.html John

Abolish government, it’s nothing to me
    Forget about god, He’s not here to see
    We live by a system a perfect mold
    People perfect people who are poor and old

Lives were spent on the ladder of success
    Working for nothing in this, in this worthless mess
    Presidents a name, presidents a label
    Highest man on the government table

America, land of the free
    Free to the power of the people in uniform.

• http://www.youtube.com/lrclintonsfm L.R.Clinton

After reading this article, I’m inclined to agree that the global elite banksters has made their pick. I think Romney, who was snuck into the Bilderberg meeting, during the primary campain, knows he’s going to win. I’m sick of the CFR controlled media making this left/right paradigm so prevelent making the sheeple think they have a choice and making everyone believe the race is so close. If they chose Romney, and I think they did, then Romney will win without the help of any Ron Paul supporter. With that, I recommend either the write-in where applicable or vote for Gary Johnson. Again, the Republican convention made it very clear what the establishment thinks about the freedom movement. The freedom movement is not something they want. They like this controlled enviroment better! They win no matter which goes in office because both candidates belong to them. The global elites fight amongst themselves, they are divided themselves but their sides will accept either or and I think they are ready for Romney. Its better than having the masses too awake and ready to do something about this tyranny and being exposed. That’s my take on this. Best regards, whatever you do.

Highly rated. What do you think? Thumb up 22 Thumb down 0

• Scottie Sharpe

Geo – or they threatened Rand’s life, or career. I think they told Ron “do not endorse anyone” and he is heeding that threat.

• Avelina Pousa

Hidden due to low comment rating. Click here to see.

Poorly rated. What do you think? Thumb up 1 Thumb down 37

• Bob in Boston

That’s BS – it’s been shown that Gary Johnson draws equally from Democrats and Republicans. The important thing this election is NOT to get Obama out, it’s to get the two-party monopoly out.
      Romney is just as bad (or worse) for the country as Obama, so voting for Romney is hurting our children’s future. Getting as many votes as possible for a third party opens up the possibility of actually changing the course of the country – voting for Obama or Romney means more of the same. You have a responsibility to vote for the best candidate, not the one that people tell you can win.

Highly rated. What do you think? Thumb up 34 Thumb down 2

• PHenry

Amen. I am so tired of ignorant fools telling people they have to vote for more of the same when they are too stupid to realize they are voting for more of the same.
        “You are an imbecile and you’re trying to tell ME what to do? REALLY?”

That’s what I feel like screaming at the top of my lungs sometimes.
        I vote my principles and no one currently in the race comes close to matching up with what I need in a candidate. Since write-ins are not allowed in my state, I will stay home and watch the People get what they deserve.

Highly rated. What do you think? Thumb up 14 Thumb down 2

• http://Youtube John Clark

So as not to throw my vote away I’m voting for Gary Johnson. That is only 1 real freedom left to me. It was a shame what they did to Mr. Paul. Am not proud of America and where we are headed. Don’t know why people can’t see disasters looming before us.

Highly rated. What do you think? Thumb up 40 Thumb down 2

• http://soundofthestate.com mikemolaro

bummer. a ron paul fan, but totally let down he hasn’t made his decisions clear. Is he done? will he run again? why he stopped campaigning? why he hasn’t endorsed gary johnson? It seems as if he’s finished and said there woldn’t be another run, but this article seems to give a false hope about 2016. It’s stupid and ridiculous I have to piece these together from a collection of offhanded comments instead of Paul just coming out and clearing everything up himself.

Highly rated. What do you think? Thumb up 15 Thumb down 0

• PHenry

He hasn’t endorsed Gary Johnson because GJ has problems with his ‘walk’ matching his ‘talk.’

• robin

French Canadian,
    We were just talking about Mormonism, which my husband knows quite a lot about. Most Americans don’t know what they believe and many Christians I talk to believe as long as Mitt believes in GOD than it’s better than Obama who is either an atheist or a Muslim(get both points of view). A couple of comments off topic here. First, what I have realized this election cycle posting information for friends and family that goes against their belief systems on both sides of the spectrum is that my conservative friends/family members do not delete my posts that do not fit their belief systems, that are not “politically correct”, but my liberal friends do who don’t want their friends to see them. The original definition of liberal means open and broad-minded, but I’m finding that they are less so than conservatives that I know. When it comes to free speech, they only believe in this if what you say agrees with their stand on the issues. Last, the Liberty campaign called me yesterday to ask for my support by contacting my representatives about some very important issues right now, and of course also said we need your money. My question for John Tate is where did the 3 million go that they had at the end of the campaign????I will not give anymore money. Instead, I will continue to do what I’ve always done, and contact my representatives myself and encourage others to do the same. I will also continue to share information and my point of view with others.

• PHenry

Allah is God, ‘they’ are the same deity. Not that I would vote for Obama, even with a gun pointed at my head, but the stupidity in America is astounding to me sometimes.

• Mike Sheftall

Hidden due to low comment rating. Click here to see.

Poorly rated. What do you think? Thumb up 4 Thumb down 41

• Lawrence P. Ekdahl

I know that Ron is positive about the future. But I fear we have no more time. The die is cast and we will probably have a dictatorship and very soon unless America repents and God steps in to stop it.

Hotly debated. What do you think? Thumb up 13 Thumb down 8

• http://deartis.me Kris

Why don’t we just write in our preferred candidate? I wouldn’t call this throwing away a vote if I truly believe we have a chance! Let a final push go Vital!

Ron Paul Prevails!

Highly rated. What do you think? Thumb up 11 Thumb down 0

• Jack

I would like to know Ron Paul’s stance as to what he would have done, as President, in the aftermath of the devastation that has been left by Hurricane Sandy?

• geo.

My first thought,after hearing Rand Paul announced his fathers` withdrawal,I realized the fact that Mr Pauls` life had been threatened by someone affiliated within our very own government.
    History has uncovered this fact that this type of [ underground ruling] “behavior”[murder] has been around since before Julius Ceasar.
    Follow the carbon foot prints.

Highly rated. What do you think? Thumb up 30 Thumb down 0

• Alan F Smith

The World needs you Ron Paul, what a shame the cheaters kept you away from being endorsed as your Policies were for real change and so popular with the People Worldwide,
    Go Ron Paul, keep in the Public View as we all need to hear you keep whoever wins honest,

• Joseph Quilantang

For the record, I’m voting for Gary Johnson so my registered vote gets counted. I’m sure Ron Paul’s voting for GJ too but won’t admit it because it would ruin Rand’s run in 2016. Don’t get me wrong, I still rock my Ron Paul bumper sticker, window cover and apparel all the time but Ron Paul’s not on the ballot and most to all counties don’t count write-ins. I won’t vote for Romney because he constantly changes his views. Plus the main stream media and the RNC screwed Ron Paul so it’s on them if Obama gets re-elected. Those who say, “Anyone but Obama/Romney!” are just red and blue sheep’s.

Ron Paul based Gary Johnson voter 2012
    Ex-Obama Supporter

Highly rated. What do you think? Thumb up 17 Thumb down 0

• http://www.youtube.com/profile?user=HàTuấnAnh Hà Tuấn Anh

Hey, did you hear about “BoxObama” (just search on Google for it …)? On that website you can actually engage in an amusing boxing browser game plus gain an iPad. I like that it is totally free. Control President Obama and box Mitt Romney or vice versa. Many have played right now, you might want to become a part of the fun also.

• http://www.youtube.com/profile?user=Klaus-DieterHinck Klaus-Dieter Hinck

Great – thx to Ron Paul than !!!!

• http://www.youtube.com/profile?user=dedencyde dedencyde

i agree. I cant think of a good argument for why he hasnt. the best i can think of is that he just wants us to think for ourselves. If Johnson would espouse a little more Austrian economics theory in his policy regarding the economy then Ron would endorse. Id bet money hes voting for Johnson.