Where is Ron Paul?

RonPaul.com is the largest Ron Paul fansite on the Internet. We receive hundreds of emails each week from all over the world. These messages give us a good sense of the currents of opinion and sentiment prevailing among fellow Ron Paul supporters.

In recent weeks we increasingly gained the impression that many supporters were feeling a bit out of the loop. They want to know… “What is Ron Paul up to?” – “Is he still running for President?” – “Has he endorsed anyone?”

We don’t claim to have any specific inside information, but we do feel that Ron Paul supporters deserve to know what’s going on. That’s why we decided to analyze some of Ron Paul‘s recent speeches and interviews. Our findings are presented below.

First, a few quick facts:

Ron Paul is no longer actively running or campaigning for President.

He ended his campaign on August 28 with a one hour speech at the University of Florida Sun Dome.

Ron Paul: During the campaign, I got a lot of advice. Can you believe that, a lot of advice? Sometimes from strangers, sometimes from our enemies, sometimes from my family as well.

(“During the campaign” refers to the past and obviously implied that the campaign was now over.)

Ron Paul is an official write in candidate in several states, but that’s entirely due to his supporters’ efforts. Ron Paul did not discourage these efforts but he stated very clearly that he is not actively participating.

Ron Paul: I get a lot of questions on that, a lot of phone calls and emails, and people sometimes want me to sign something, to fully endorse it as a legal matter. But I haven’t signed anything, so I neither encourage it nor discourage it, because of the frustration, because in some places they won’t count the votes. But if people feel totally exasperated and still want the satisfaction of doing something, there shouldn’t be anything wrong with it. But I don’t ever want to lead people to deception like, “Oh yea, if we have this write in campaign and all of a sudden major things will happen”. And that’s not true. If there is a write in campaign, those individuals that are doing it, the most important thing is to hold their feet to the fire and make them count them. But they don’t [count them]. Politics is not always a very clean business. That’s why it’s a lot easier to deal with philosophy than it is with politics. Politics is a tool but it’s not necessarily an end. The end is changing the philosophy. So if these campaigns one way or the other can get attention to serve the issues then I think it’s worthwhile.

Ron Paul has not endorsed anyone and he did not reveal who he will be voting for, or if he is going to be voting at all.

Ron Paul: I haven’t decided yet, at least I have decided not to announce it, so I’m going to sort of sit tight for a little bit longer. […] I haven’t announced support for Romney, that means it’s very unlikely, and I don’t think anybody thinks I’m going to vote for Obama. It’s back to that frustration level of not seeing a dramatic choice in the way the system works.

Ron Paul said a few nice words about Libertarian candidate Gary Johnson, but they do not amount to an endorsement.

Ron Paul: I think [Gary Johnson] is wonderful and I think he’s doing a good job, and people should look at him, and every individual should make up their own mind.

Ron Paul recently stated that Romney might be better on taxes and Obama might be better on foreign policy. But none of that can be construed as an endorsement.

Ron Paul: Would Romney be better for America than Obama? I think not necessarily, no. (Applause) Is that a gentle no? (Laughter) And the reason I say a little bit is, maybe in some areas he might be a little better, and maybe in other areas Obama might be a little bit better. The odds of us expanding war and getting in more trouble is worse with Romney. When it comes to maybe hitting you with a higher tax, you’re a little bit better off with Romney.

What Should Ron Paul Supporters Do Now?

With Ron Paul out of the race, what is the best course of action? Write in Ron Paul to express our principles? Support Gary Johnson to build the Libertarian party? Vote for Romney to get rid of Obama?

Why Romney Doesn’t Need the Liberty Movement

Mitt Romney’s political career is a testament to the fact that he would say and do anything to get elected. If he believed that gaining some of the votes of the 5+ million Ron Paul supporters in this country would have been worth the effort of reaching out to Ron Paul and the liberty movement, Romney would not have hesitated to have done so.

But hesitate he did. And not just that… he went on to viciously and repeatedly spit in the collective faces of Ron Paul and his supporters.

Does Romney believe that the morally bankrupt rallying cry “But we have to defeat Obama!” will be sufficient for the liberty movement to hold its nose and vote for Mitt?

Romney is an intelligent and calculating man, so he must know that this will work only with a small percentage of the movement.

This leaves only one possible conclusion:

Romney already knows that he is going to win, and that he can do so without the liberty movement’s support.

Rand Paul basically said the same thing just a couple of days ago:

Rand Paul: My prediction, and of course I could be wrong, but my prediction is that this is going to be 1980. This is going to be an election that was projected to be very close, we have all these battleground states, but in the end Romney is going to pull away and he’s going to win by a bigger percentage than anyone predicts, because I think the polling is modeling on 2008 and not really factoring in an enormous wave of Election 2010, and I think that we’re still headed in that same direction.

If Rand’s assessment is correct and if Romney has victory in the bag, then there is no reason for Ron Paul supporters to vote for Romney just to get Obama out of office.

2012 Is Lost – But the Future Belongs to Us

More than 20,000 Ron Paul supporters have already pledged to cast a principled vote for Ron Paul even in the face of electoral defeat. That’s commendable and wonderful. Others are supporting Gary Johnson to help strengthen the largest third party. A few will still be voting for Romney because they hate Obama or believe that Romney is the lesser of two evils. And some Ron Paul supporters are even strategically rooting for Obama, saying that the inevitable backlash against a second term would lay the groundwork for a Ron Paul comeback in 2016.

For those of us who have been hoping for a Ron Paul Independent run this year, or at least for clear directions on who we should vote for… well, none of that is forthcoming. Ron Paul simply says, “You can do what you want… but just do it.” And that’s what liberty is all about.

America Isn’t Ready for President Ron Paul… Yet.

It’s up to us to prepare America for Ron Paul‘s ideas so that we can prevail in 2016 and beyond. We have to wake up our friends, families, neighbors, and even random strangers, by educating them about liberty. We can still use the open and uncensored Internet to spread the message, but who knows for how long? This is a race against time, and every day counts. Will you too do your part?

Ron Paul: Although I see so much good progress, I see also danger on the horizon and it makes it even more crucial that we’re successful in what we’re trying to do. Fortunately, we still have a little bit time, but that time may run out quickly. It may run out in a month, it may run out in a year, it may run out in five years. So the more time we have to persuade more people to our side. I do not work on the assumption that all of a sudden we’re going to have a new Congress and we’re going to start repealing. I’ve never believed that for a minute. But, that doesn’t mean that things can’t change. Things are going to break down, and then there’s going to be opportunities, and the best thing that can probably happen is when government totally loses its credibility and their money doesn’t work and everybody goes on their own and people become independent and there will be de-facto nullification and we’ll just flat out ignore the Feds. And that is a possibility, but the real danger is they will cling to power, because that is all that they know, is clinging to the power and using that power to suppress the people.

• J M Damon

Consider that “Lesser Evil” is a very dangerous game.
    Given the deceptive nature of evil, the greater evil will appear the lesser…

• Brother Chuck

Dang, that’s good!

• https://www.facebook.com/pages/Thinking-Outside-The-Box/330603263682894?ref=hl Mark Phillips

Great comments Cal Robbins.

I have to echo my disappointment that Ron gave up so easily rather then run independently and I personally do not see Rand holding his fathers values so remaining silent on what I perceive as a don’t rock the boat so Rand gets a shot ideology also doesn’t sit well. (Try not to flame it is my perception and opinion)

Also Rand as I see it plays more of the political game and has a vested interest in being the Republican candidate rather than his outspoken and truth over friends philosophy of his dad and I doubt I would even entertain the notion of voting for him especially under a corrupted republican banner.

That said I agree with Cal in many ways and have also posted on many forums to reflect on our teaching and apply those values to a candidate that best frames my desires and beliefs as a person. Gary is a formidable force and a good candidate however we had some fundamental differences so my early paper only ballot was cast for Dr Jill Stein.

I as Cal encourage everyone to do some soul searching, watch the 3rd party debates over again and lastly watch the last debate between Gary and Jill this upcoming Nov 5th if you haven’t already made up your mind.

I don’t consider Romney or Obama the lesser of two evils, simply the definition of pure evil. So if you feel the same follow your heart, reflect on your teachings and moral compass and vote according to that.

It would have been glorious to see (or to see) Ron step up and actually endorse a person of vision, wisdom and dedicated to the truth. (Telling it like it is such as he has done) but again I am disappointed that he has not so far done this.

In my opinion this is a epic battle for a moral conscience, American solvency, Liberties and Freedom and I thought him to be more of a soldier of good and was sad to see his so easily retreat and put down his sword.

Good luck Ron in whatever you do next.

Jill Stein & Cheri Honkala (Green Party 2012)
    Two ladies with a track record of fighting tirelessly (without surrendering) for working class America and the poor for 20+ years

• Scott R

FWIW I’d vote for Jill Stein over Romney, but I’ll still take Gary Johnson over Stein. Stein is over the top when it comes to the education system. Can we really afford to give everyone a “free” 4 year degree when the country is bankrupt? I think not.

• Christine Davis

Well I guess I wasted my vote then.. I’m an absentee ballot voter, and I wrote in Ron Paul.. hmmmm. Bummer.

• Brother Chuck

You didn’t waste it Christine.. Gary Johnson is as phoney as a three dollar bill.

• Brother Chuck

That’s why Paul turned down his offer to be his (Gary J’s) vice. ’cause he is a phoney and Paul knows it!

• French Canadian

Everybody is fed up with the two party system.
    Everybody is fed up of voting for le lesser of two evils.

So why are people hesitating to vote for Gary Johnson? That blows my mind. I will never understand this hesitation. Do you want change or not! If you do, vote Gary Johnson.

I left you a reply on your previous post.

Highly rated. What do you think? Thumb up 15 Thumb down 1

• emelio

I’m voting for Gary Johnson. I’ll not waste my vote for someone who is not on the ballot .Please do the same.

Highly rated. What do you think? Thumb up 12 Thumb down 2

• Dickie Shortes

I`m really upset that Ron Paul did not fight the republican party when the state delegate voting screwed him around. I`m also upset that he has not endorsed Gary Johnson. He is letting people write his name in when it will do no good.
    We need as many votes for the Libertarian party so it will be stronger in four more years. Don`t waste a vote for Paul as it won`t even be counted. Gary Johnson is our only choice and I truly think he is a good choice.
    Ron endorsed Chuck Baldwin four years ago and he could easily endorse Gary today.

Highly rated. What do you think? Thumb up 16 Thumb down 5

• a

However, Gary Johnson is wrong on some key issues, such as abortion, which I think is why Ron Paul does not endorse him.

• Scott R

I believe that Gary Johnson is closer on abortion to Ron Paul then Obama or Romney.

Obama- supports pro choice and funds abortions with tax payer dollars.

Romney- had Romneycare which most likely had portions in which should not been paid for with state funds. He’s also flip flopped on this as he was actually pro-choice before.

Gary Johnson would NEVER fund abortion with tax payer dollars, despite being pro choice himself. A true patriot that understands that a right to have a choice should work for BOTH sides. The taxpayer does not have a choice right now with Obama or Romney’s plan. Get it?

• Ralph Hornsby

I sure hope Rand is wrong about a Romney win. After all the blatant cheating and mistreatment of Ron Paul supporters by the Romney campaign during the primaries and conventions, I hope Romney loses big time. He sickens me more than George W. Bush. Four years instead of a possible eight years is the way I see it. Obama and Romney aren’t really much different.

Highly rated. What do you think? Thumb up 18 Thumb down 0

• Cal Robbins

My fellow Liberty loving Americans, some of you still don’t get it. This Liberty movement or even the principle of Liberty isn’t about Ron Paul. He would be the first one to tell you that it isn’t about him. It is about you. It is about your hopes wishes and dreams you have for yourself and those you care about around you. Ron Paul is just a man (or woman) just like you. The only difference is that he stood up for his principles and voiced and voted on those principles. He has set an example for the rest of us to follow. Not him per say, but His principles of Liberty, the Constitution, sound money, fiscal responsibility. But just as Ron Paul is just an individual man, you are an INDIVIDUAL as well. You must form your own ideals, find your own principles and act on those for yourself. We have as a guide many great things from our history as Mankind to draw from. History from the Bible, from the teachings of Christ. From the history of great philosophers, from ancient civilizations, what worked and what didn’t. From the writings of our Founding Fathers. Washington, Adams, Jefferson, Franklin, Henry, Paine.. etc. Even more recent men such as Ghandi, Dr. MLK, yes even Reagan. Dr. Paul is just on more man in the history of mankind to lead the charge for Liberty. But it is up to each one of us to learn what Liberty means and carry that torch so that others might see the light. So learn to truly love Liberty, study our history as mankind. Study the Declaration of Independence, and the Constitution. Take to heart the words “consent of the governed…” “… Bestow the blessings of liberty to ourselves and our posterity…”Be true to yourself and to those around you. After all, Liberty, is truly up to us.

Highly rated. What do you think? Thumb up 38 Thumb down 0

• Michael S. Tunstall

I am voting for Ron Paul!

Highly rated. What do you think? Thumb up 14 Thumb down 2

• DCWhatthe

The power-at-all-costs is the issue that bothers me, also. This past campaign is a perfect example of an enormous grassroots collaboration, following all the rules and realistically expecting to finally bear the fruits of these efforts – and instead, watching the rules get changed in midstream.

What happens when OTHER parties start getting involved in fixing this broken system? Will they get the attention they demand, or do they also get persecuted and marginalized and stereotyped as troublemakers?

It’s hard to tell what will happen. But I have settled long ago, on the acceptance that technology, not politics, is our only hope.

• robin

If you value your privacy and civil rights, than take the time today to contact your senators since the house passed the reinstatement of the FISA Agreement in September of this year and will be up for a vote in the senate. This gives our government another five years the right to spy on Americans without just case. (internet, phone, etc)

• French Canadian

You are so right. The spying must stop. Do people really want to live like this? Look at the dammages it does:

No-Fly List Strands Prepper in Hawaii

Wade Hicks (the prepper) in studio with Alex, talks about is experience with the spying system. This is a GREAT interview that everyone should watch.

• Khurram Farooquie

The excitement that was Ron Paul is slowly fizzling away and it’s a sad sad thing. I believe if a person is going to run for President, he/she should at least understand tht win or lose their conviction is a 4-5 year commitment. Ron Paul ignited something unique and his not coming out and endorsing someone has left many people disillusioned. Be it because he doesn’t want to ruin Rand’s career or cause he is tired, of everything Ron Paul has done right not endorsing a candidate especially someone like Gary Johnson is where he has fallen short.

• DaveMan50

change their philosophy with love, with good example, with understanding and kindness. And when that fails, kick their asses. Spair the rod, spoil the child.

• TheB

I love the farce you are putting on . You listed things Dr Paul’s supporters can do and had the nerve to include voting for Romney, as if liberty would be served by simply ousting Obama. Remember, Dr. Paul did not endorse either one, but said that Obama might be better on foreign policy while the election dominatrixter would be better on taxes. He also said that the republican party was NOT HIS PARTY! So you all need to get over your republican sway and vote your conscience. Also, when you made that list, if you include an option to vote for Romney, than you also should have included the option to vote for Obama, to keep Romney OUT of the white house. Get a grip on reality. This is SUPPOSED TO BE a Ron Paul fansite, not a Republican site. Again, after the convention, Dr Paul said that it is NOT HIS PARTY!

• Pittgurl

Geo, you have it completely right – but I’m sure everyone, including Ron Paul, saw that coming. It has always been that way and will always will. That’s how the powers that be stay in power. There are some very, very bad things on the horizon. It’s sad. If you believe in Ron Paul, then you have to believe that he went as far as he was “allowed”.

• John Lord

I too was saddened by how the corrupt two-party system treated Dr. Paul. I believe that he is the only person principled enough to take office as President and begin to unravel what socialist interests have done to this country. I was also hoping that he would endorse one of the candidates still in the race. I made my decision soley based on my interepretation of the evil that President Obama has carried through his presidency that was started by his predecessors. I do not believe that there is a polictical solution at this point. I have not seen any debate or discussion on what needs to take place in this country in order to begin to reverse the ill-effects of the past 100 years coming from anyone accept Ron Paul. I pray that more people begin to awaken and that it is not too late for all of us.

• EmmaPeel

to nearly quote someone above…

I am still a Ron Paul believer but voted for Romney because O must be defeated. I know Ron Paul has his principles but this country is being destroyed by Os agenda of a socialist goverment. We need Ron Paul to step up and endorse Romney.

At nearly every election, i have voted my highest hopes. my highest hope was dashed this time. the second highest hope is that of the Republican party — NOT romney. gary johnson is NOT a ron paul by a long shot. no one can even try to fill the great man’s shoes.

g-d bless you ron paul. we need a man who has been man enough to wear a uniform to lead us. not romney and not obama by any twist of the imagination. to cast a vote other than republican is to cast one for o. please vote and vote wisely.

• http://omanuel.wordpress.com/ Oliver K. Manuel

As explained here, self-centered geo-centrism is the root of our problem.

The powerful force [1] at the core of the Sun that extends out extends ~ 120 AU beyond Earth [2], and it will NOT be defeated by

The powerless force [3] of wannabe world tyrants headquartered in the United Nations.

– Oliver K. Manuel
      Former NASA Principal
      Investigator for Apollo

[1] Oliver K. Manuel, “Neutron repulsion,” The Apeiron Journal 19, 123-150 (2012) http://tinyurl.com/7t5ojrn

[2] Ron Cowen, “Voyager’s long goodbye NASA probes find surprises at the edge of the Solar System,” Nature 289 , 20-21 (5 Sept 2012)

[3] The United Nations, “Core Agenda 21″ http://www.un.org/esa/dsd/agenda21/

• http://www.frederickliberty.org Darren

Ron Paul has returned as the chairman of Campaign for Liberty. Join (or start) a local branch, and dive into local politics. You can have a LOT more influence over the direction of local government than you can federal. Also, once you get established, and gain some experience, you can coordinate with other C4L groups to support issues at state and national levels. It is already working in several counties across the country.

• Jeff

I believe that we need to do what is best for the country. Get rid of BOTH EVILS! If we get together there’s enough of us to end the rule of the banker backed DUOPOLY! Writing in Ron Paul is going to NOT BE COUNTED! Gary Johnson may not be perfect, but he is by far the best choice to get rid of BOTH EVILS! THERE IS NO LESSER! Romney WILL NOT END ABORTION! No matter what he says! “He will say or do ANYTHING to get elected”! He is NOT THE LESSER OF TWO EVILS! So DON’T WRITE IN! DON’T SIT OUT! End the STRANGLEHOLD the BANKERS & the MAINSTREAM MEDIA have on our country! VOTE FOR GARY JOHNSON! WE HAVE A CHANCE IF WE ACT TOGETHER! SPREAD THIS ALL OVER THE INTERNET!

Highly rated. What do you think? Thumb up 15 Thumb down 0

• Alejandro Quinteiro

Nice array of diverse comments which is how it should be. I don’t agree with everyone here but I agree they have a voice and they are entitled to an opinion. The more independent we are, the more the Liberty movement makes sense or empowers us. The Liberty movement is a movement comprised of free thinking liberty minded people. The Dems and Reps are comprised of people motivated by self preservation or an imagined sense of entitlement and both have either an expressed or unexpressed resentment for true change. The laws of economics will soon bear themselves to these pseudo liberals and conservatives. Free money for the needy, based on Marxist economic principles, as well as, free money for the banks, based on the Keynesian principles are ideas about to go bust. What Ron Paul is doing is the most important movement of all, because it is changing the principles or philosophy from lies to truth. Truth that we can all live with and make a better game with. Ron as usual is way ahead of the curve. I totally agree with him, politics are dirty. I put a foot in it this year and saw the backstabbing first hand. But by changing the philosophy we change the politics our way. Remember those South Carolinian’s booing Dr. Paul when he said, we should use the Golden Rule in our foreign policy during the debate in South Carolina? Was the Golden Rule booed or was anything Dr. Paul stands for booed?! Are those who booed Dr. Paul, Christians? How prevalent is the nonsense? Can you seriously consider yourself civilized, if you boo the Golden Rule or a man that promotes it? When will we have a better world? The answer is the day that 51% understand and abide by the Golden Rule! Don’t change their vote, change their philosophy with love, with good example, with understanding and kindness. And if we do only this and persevere no matter what, our numbers will grow and we will change the world!