Ron Paul: The Trouble with FEMA

Transcript

Neil Cavuto: Look, they might ultimately do a good job, but we thought it was a little early to do the back-slapping when a lot of their constituents were doing the finger-raising. On the phone with us now is Texas Congressman, Ron Paul. Congressman, I had your colleague from Pennsylvania saying, “Give FEMA another 14 million dollars right now even if you have to go into debt to pay for it”. What say you?

Ron Paul: I think that’s a bad idea. When is it going to stop, where is the limit? And, evidently, there are no limits, they’re already 18 million dollars in debt, and they’ll spend another 14 million dollars for a program that causes people to do dumb things. I mean, this is why people build on the beaches and on the coasts, because the market doesn’t provide insurance for them, but the government does. So people who don’t get to build nice houses on the beach, have to pay for the rebuilding of it. It’s a terrible program, and I’ve had this position for a long time, and I get many, many times more calls complaining about FEMA than I ever get complaining about my position on FEMA. So it’s never hurt me politically and the people aren’t even with this. But I have to say, though, that when the trouble hits, we have this program and I try to make these things work, but, quite frankly, they can’t work. They’re just going to help drive us into bankruptcy and all this will have to end.

Neil Cavuto: You know, – I know you risk it, and I admire you for that – you always look cruel when you say no to FEMA because you know a thing or two about FEMA’s track record. And, even now, I’m worried for people on the scene and folks in Stanton Island, New York beleaguered borough over there where they keep saying, “Help is on the way, help is on the way”. FEMA’s there, but water bottles aren’t there, basic creature comforts aren’t there, the basic supplies they needed were delayed. And if it weren’t for private funding efforts and the likes of Wal-Mart getting involved, as much as that retailer did after Katrina, there would be no help there. But now we’re getting word, Congressman, from FEMA administrator, Craig Fugate, that, “More than 210 million dollars has been approved for individuals to assist with housing and other disaster related needs”. The problem with that money seems to be that it’s not immediately dispersed, you can approve it, but it doesn’t mean it gets into the hands of those affected right away, it could be weeks or month, right?

Ron Paul: Yes, and that’s when their congressman will be called and that’s when we will get our calls and people would beg and plead. They’d been told that they paid their flood insurance, so they ask when are they going to get the relief. And it’s very, very difficult, it’s bureaucratic, it’s very, very slow, it’s very inefficient. And, you know, when the private companies have insurance, I think they do get the checks to the people much, much quicker. But FEMA is an obstacle, it gets in the way of local authority. For the first 200 years of our history, the federal government was never involved in natural disasters. And after Katrina, you think the people and the government and the politicians would wake up and say, “Maybe this isn’t the best way to do things”. But no, it continues in the same way, we never change our way. And none of this is going to end until we declare our bankruptcy and admit that we don’t have any money. And the congressman that casually said “14 billion dollars is no big deal”, well, where does he think it comes from, it comes from poor people. Because, if you borrow it, they’re indebted; if you don’t borrow it and you print it, they get the inflation, or you get the business cycle and they end up without their jobs. And they think it’s for free? They have to wake up and see that everything costs something, every time the government spends money, it is a cost and a tax and it comes back and, unfortunately, it hits the middle class more than anybody else, especially the low/middle income class who try to survive. They suffer the most with all these programs, even with this pretence that they’re going to take care of us forever.

Neil Cavuto: Well, you know, you always look cruel if you oppose it, but then you just say the track-record is such … it’s like these telephones and everything they do. You know their heart’s always in the right place, but if Haiti got a fraction of the money that was pledged to it after the earthquakes and disasters, it would look like Atlantis right now.

Ron Paul: That’s right. And it’s the same thing over and over again.

Ron Paul: Yes, yes, we got to think through this, folks, we got to think through this. Ron Paul, always a pleasure, sir, thank you.

1. gary johnson 2012
    ron paul 2016

2. Write in Ron Paul.

3. write in Ron Paul and Andrew Napolitano

4. ...n further, I hate commenting on these things cuz I'm sick to my stomach of it...pease,out.

5. Nobody 2016! End the state!

6. does this guy wanna hear himself talk or is he interviewing someone, let paul talk

7. ur right, it really pisses me off the way they done Paul, that's why I refuse to participate in they're phony elections...local n national, it's all corupt...I'm just done, so done with ALL thier lies....they can never win us back either...EVER.

8. Ron Paul for ever. He has my vote

9. Ron Paul 2016! Human Growth Hormone for the win!

10. I personally see another Mass tragedy with those residents of Staten Island,and other areas hit by SANDY,because the Project FEMA is Nothing but a MONEY PIT,were poor people develop sense of HOPE but then see it smashed in their faces through PEOPLE MANIPULATION by indiscriminate Private Sources Working for the FEDERAL RESERVE..the people should Get rid of the FED RESERVE a Private Entity owned by the ROTHSCHILDS..and its Branch to FEMA a Vulture.Predator The People must Unite and HELP OTHER

11. With insurance silly. Get your head out of your ass and listen to what he says. I shouldn't have to pay to rebuild your house just cause you built it somewhere so risky, no insurance would cover you.

12. for anyone reading this can you please give me advice? i vote in a few hours and is till can't decide whether to write in ron paul or vote for gary johnson. any words of wisdoms? this is my first time voting and i don't want to screw it up

13. Funny how the media isn't going after Obama for this like it did for Bush during Katrina. Love FEMA of hate it, they are not doing their job.

14. This is king~Fisher,the Track record FEMA has is substantialy NADA,..heres why in the case of Katrina,the permanent Housing trailer units used for thousands of displaced New Orleans people became Death Houses,they Had Deadly Toxins in them could kill its occupants,and on Another case ,Coffins stacked 8 boxes high were being stored in a nearby wooded Lot for Mass casualties, in Fema camps..Ask yourselves Why...THINK..They werent BOY SCOUT CAMPS,people were talking Insurections,Revolutions.THINK

15. he didn't say people shouldn't live on the beach.he says tax payers shouldn't have to pay someone to rebuild homes on beaches and other vulnerable places.

16. Too much fluoride in the water...

17. If Ron Paul had endorsed Gary Johnson a while back when I had gotten my ballot (we got them a while ago in WA state) I would have voted for him -but I didn't I voted for Ron Paul.

18. IF YOU CONTINUE TO PAY YOUR TAXES TO THIS ILLEGITIMATE GOVERNMENT THAN YOU DESERVE WHATEVER TYRANNY YOU GET!!

19. we've had 2 big chances to elect RON PAUL,yet the sheeple of this crumbling nation,continue to buy the bullshit,from the other puppets,im goddamn fed up with the entire damn system,I was 16 in 1992,when my hometown Guy Ross Perot ran 3rd party.yet Americans seemed to enjoy swallowing Clintons Bullshit. PEROT like Paul is a damn good man. We dont value good ppl in this country or world.Yall wanna know what PEROT is up 2 now, he's trying 2 save our local College.that speaks volumes.

20. You missed the point of the message