Ron Paul: The Trouble with FEMA

Transcript

Neil Cavuto: Look, they might ultimately do a good job, but we thought it was a little early to do the back-slapping when a lot of their constituents were doing the finger-raising. On the phone with us now is Texas Congressman, Ron Paul. Congressman, I had your colleague from Pennsylvania saying, “Give FEMA another 14 million dollars right now even if you have to go into debt to pay for it”. What say you?

Ron Paul: I think that’s a bad idea. When is it going to stop, where is the limit? And, evidently, there are no limits, they’re already 18 million dollars in debt, and they’ll spend another 14 million dollars for a program that causes people to do dumb things. I mean, this is why people build on the beaches and on the coasts, because the market doesn’t provide insurance for them, but the government does. So people who don’t get to build nice houses on the beach, have to pay for the rebuilding of it. It’s a terrible program, and I’ve had this position for a long time, and I get many, many times more calls complaining about FEMA than I ever get complaining about my position on FEMA. So it’s never hurt me politically and the people aren’t even with this. But I have to say, though, that when the trouble hits, we have this program and I try to make these things work, but, quite frankly, they can’t work. They’re just going to help drive us into bankruptcy and all this will have to end.

Neil Cavuto: You know, – I know you risk it, and I admire you for that – you always look cruel when you say no to FEMA because you know a thing or two about FEMA’s track record. And, even now, I’m worried for people on the scene and folks in Stanton Island, New York beleaguered borough over there where they keep saying, “Help is on the way, help is on the way”. FEMA’s there, but water bottles aren’t there, basic creature comforts aren’t there, the basic supplies they needed were delayed. And if it weren’t for private funding efforts and the likes of Wal-Mart getting involved, as much as that retailer did after Katrina, there would be no help there. But now we’re getting word, Congressman, from FEMA administrator, Craig Fugate, that, “More than 210 million dollars has been approved for individuals to assist with housing and other disaster related needs”. The problem with that money seems to be that it’s not immediately dispersed, you can approve it, but it doesn’t mean it gets into the hands of those affected right away, it could be weeks or month, right?

Ron Paul: Yes, and that’s when their congressman will be called and that’s when we will get our calls and people would beg and plead. They’d been told that they paid their flood insurance, so they ask when are they going to get the relief. And it’s very, very difficult, it’s bureaucratic, it’s very, very slow, it’s very inefficient. And, you know, when the private companies have insurance, I think they do get the checks to the people much, much quicker. But FEMA is an obstacle, it gets in the way of local authority. For the first 200 years of our history, the federal government was never involved in natural disasters. And after Katrina, you think the people and the government and the politicians would wake up and say, “Maybe this isn’t the best way to do things”. But no, it continues in the same way, we never change our way. And none of this is going to end until we declare our bankruptcy and admit that we don’t have any money. And the congressman that casually said “14 billion dollars is no big deal”, well, where does he think it comes from, it comes from poor people. Because, if you borrow it, they’re indebted; if you don’t borrow it and you print it, they get the inflation, or you get the business cycle and they end up without their jobs. And they think it’s for free? They have to wake up and see that everything costs something, every time the government spends money, it is a cost and a tax and it comes back and, unfortunately, it hits the middle class more than anybody else, especially the low/middle income class who try to survive. They suffer the most with all these programs, even with this pretence that they’re going to take care of us forever.

Neil Cavuto: Well, you know, you always look cruel if you oppose it, but then you just say the track-record is such … it’s like these telephones and everything they do. You know their heart’s always in the right place, but if Haiti got a fraction of the money that was pledged to it after the earthquakes and disasters, it would look like Atlantis right now.

Ron Paul: That’s right. And it’s the same thing over and over again.

Ron Paul: Yes, yes, we got to think through this, folks, we got to think through this. Ron Paul, always a pleasure, sir, thank you.

1. ROFL. Counter-trolled.

2. Blow me.

3. Suck a bag of mutilated donkey dicks, weirdo.

4. Thumbs up if your watching this rather than the crap on T.V. right now!!

5. Did dat.

6. just write in Ron Paul no matter what

7. I*m sure that with your IQ far below average, that you may feel that.

8. Hard work isn't just physical labor Bill Maher is very ignorant with that statement, but I do understand his point.

9. Hard work isn't just physical labor Bill Maher is very ignorant with that statement, but I do understand his point.

10. To quote Bill Maher: "If hard work equaled success, this country would be run by a bunch of Mexicans with leaf blowers." There are truly few people in America that I would legitimately call moochers. But there are a shit ton of people who have the deck stacked against them.

11. Check out IAMHEWHOAM - his channel that is, IF you would like to see the work of what appears to be a semi-professional Tr0ll! At least you do seem to admit it.
    But bashing on Ron Paul supporters without any discourse of substance, evidence, reference, or class can get out of hand...fast.
    You write well and seem to have a brain, therefore heed my advice:
    Make your insults more humorous and less personal, and choose your targets better as there are more worthy candidates of your wrath!

12. Are you an alcoholic? Are you on dope? Did you take an overdose of Stupid Pills?
    When you fell out of Dumbass Tree, you hit every branch on the way down!

13. You're just a lonely fuckin' misfit weirdo nerd.

14. Fuckin' Paultardddddddddddddddddddddddddddddddddddddddddddddddddddddddddddddddddddddddddddddddddddddddddddddddddddd!

15. I don't care if they do or not , the main point with voting for Ron Paul is that I will not compromise my principles or integrity to vote for Obama or Romney .

16. Ron Paul is not regarded as a threat anymore, and now Cavuto can afford to be nice to recover their lost credibility. It is the same trick they pull on us all the time, every time. MSM totally control the election process - totally.

17. but the United States has enough money to kill people. ...

18. I can't believe I actually went to vote, waited in line, and was about to vote and decided to walk out! Some may think I wasted my vote but I will not vote for the King, Mittons or Johnson! I realized I had to do what Congressman Paul would do and that is to vote NO!

19. "Muh Free Stuff" This is a phrase used by socialists, facists, corporatists, communists, neo conservatives, and other thieves who wish to forcibly extract money from others. It signifies a person's inability to understand basic economics and liberty.

20. Ron Paul 2016!