Ron Paul: Obama’s Reelection Is a Bad Sign for America

Transcript

Interviewer: Congressman, first off, did you like what you were hearing from Boehner and the Republican leadership on the fiscal cliff?

Ron Paul: Well, there were a couple of things in there that I could say sounded good, but the problem is, there’s no credibility. When I’m going around the country, people that I talk to generally don’t believe anything they hear, they just don’t trust them. Somebody said, “Oh yea, we want to work together, that’s fine. Oh yes, we won’t raise taxes”, they don’t believe that. It just goes on and on and they’re just looking for the truth. And they say, “Well, all we need is a little compromise”. Well, nobody expects that, because they don’t admit the truth, and the truth is that we’re broke. And how do we compromise? The only way we can compromise is by coming clean on what you’re going to cut. But instead, they’re trying to find out how they’re going to agree on what they’re going to protect. So I don’t think I’ve heard the answer. They talk about this fiscal cliff, but I actually, in my mind, work with the assumption that we’re already over the cliff, we’re just wondering how we’re going to land.

Interviewer: Really? So you’re working on the assumption that we are not going to get this solved?

Ron Paul: No, it’s unsolvable, because you have to cut spending. And the conservative candidate for president said we should increase the spending by 2 trillion dollars for the military, and have more drones.

Interviewer: And that was one of the reasons I know, Congressman, why you did not go ahead and endorse Governor Romney.

Ron Paul: We don’t need another war, we are broke.

Interviewer: Well, Congressman, the matter is that this is a minority opinion, what you’re espousing is a minority opinion right now, because most believe and hope that the two sides will come together with some sort of deal. Is there any circumstance under which you believe the GOP and the Republicans would accept any type of tax increases?

Ron Paul: Yes, I do, but they’re not in Washington, they’re outside of Washington, and I talk about it all the time. And the few people I could work with, like Dennis Kucinich and others, have coalitions, we agree to come together, say, on the militarism. Why do we need to spend more than everybody else put together? So you bring coalitions together that are progressives and libertarians and conservatives, and say, “Yes, we have to cut across the board”. But right now they talk about this compromise on the preservation of certain programs. But you have to get together and bring people together of different viewpoints, and I don’t call that compromise because I don’t think anybody should sacrifice their principles. But there’s no reason in the world why you can’t get progressives and libertarians to agree on some of these cuts on the spending we don’t need.

Interviewer: Well, Congressman, there’s your view on this, and what you’re saying is that you need some more credibility in order to agree to any type of deal here on the fiscal cliff. And people have talked about how there are these Ron Paul Republicans, and some of them have gained ground in the House, for instance, in Kentucky, in Michigan, and even in Texas with Senator-elect Ted Cruz. What would they need to see, including you, in order to come together and agree and approve on some sort of deal?

Ron Paul: Well, as long as they move in the direction of less government.

Interviewer: What does ‘less government’ mean exactly, tell me about that?

Ron Paul: Well, maybe taking their oath of office seriously, looking at Article 1 Section 8, and swearing to uphold the constitution and only do those things that are authorized by the constitution. Well, that’s long gone, we’re so far gone, we’re over the cliff. We can’t get enough people in Congress over the next 5 to 10 years who will do the wise things, so we have to prepare for – if we already haven’t fallen off it – the fiscal cliff. It’s like what’s going on in Greece, everyday you hear of a solution and things pop up. But they’re in debt, they spend too much money, and then the people go out in the street and they demonstrate. Just think, Romney was hit because he was opposed. The one issue he was correct on was when he opposed the bailouts, and the people in the Mid-West voted against him and said, “Oh, we have to be taken care of”. So that vote was sort of like what we were laughing at. And in Greece there are almost 80,000 people out there and they don’t want anything cut, they won’t compromise. Well, it’s the people that are that way, and that’s why our revolution is significant. We’re trying to change people’s minds, and that’s why changing the minds of the young people is so important. Rather than saying that it’s Washington’s …

Interviewer: But, Congressman, I don’t think people want to see us coming off the fiscal cliff, though?

Ron Paul: Well, yes, I think there are plenty of us, and probably most of your audience would like to see us come to our senses. But, if you look at the numbers, and if you look at the way pure democracy works, pure democracy is dangerous: the majority dictates against the minority. So, right now, the majority are receiving the check. And that’s why people were sort of surprised that in these conditions this President would get re-elected. But that is a bad sign, in that there are more on the receiving end, people don’t want anything cut, they want all the bailouts to come, they want the Fed to keep printing the money, and they believe … see, they don’t believe that we’re gone off the cliff or that we’re close to going off the cliff. They think that we can patch it over, that we can somehow come up with some magical solution. But we can’t have a budgetary solution if you don’t change what the role of government should be. As long as you think we have to police the world and run this welfare state, all we’re going to argue about is who’s going to get the loot, who gets the money.

Interviewer: I know you decided not to run [for Congress] again because you were focused on your presidential campaign, but is that why you quit Congress?

Ron Paul: No, I just think people had enough of me. I don’t have much confidence in the political system, and never did. My goal has always been to change people’s minds. As long as people demand more government, they’re going to get it. So government reflects the people, and that’s why I am excited about going to the college campuses and I’ll continue to do that, that’s where I am able to get a lot of support. and they say, “I agree with you, we don’t need more government, we want more freedom, we want to be able to keep our own money, we want sound money. And if we had sound money, we wouldn’t have deficits, because you can’t print money.

1. RON PAUL FOR THE WORLD!!

2. The fact that 80% of americans are christians doesn't give your majority vote argument any credibility. And mitt is a garbage politician too. And what does gay marriage have to do with this argument?

3. that would be a 4th chance, mind you...

4. Obama was mentored by a man named Frank Marshall Davis, a Communist journalist. Obama also said in a recording in 1998 that he believed in Redistribution. So, there is your evidence.

5. goodluck embarrising yourself on the next comments cutie

6. Not all republican are the same as far as the right wing goes, Ron Paul had one thing going for him in which no other candidate did, he wasn't afraid to tell the truth and face it head on (he didn't get enough news coverage for it).Others beat around the bush and told us what we wanted to hear. I support any person who looks to better our country, instead of someone like Mitt who just talks about what Obama has and hasn't done, yet provides no information as to how he will tackle our problems.

7. Ron paul wasn't fake like Mitt, he wasn't a multi millionare with alterior motives involved with multiple third party interests, you can pm me if you'd like to get shit on further mate

8. He was Jewish as in he was descended from Judah. He spoke Aramaic, yes, but that's not an ethnicity. And what you're saying is in Islam. That's fantastic, and I'm glad you have some form of faith, but I'm not Muslim.

9. You would have voted for Paul but support Obamca care? Ans is brazen enough to call me a tard? Hilarious. And i understood all that you said, this don't make you any less stupid. Now stop embarrasing yourself.

10. Pretty sure you're not even from this country, nor do you know that basing your view is just an opinion, in of which our country, not only the public majority, but the electoral college will side with. have a nice day hater - p.s. i support gay marriage in of which mitt didn't.

11. For Ron Paul we live, for Ron Paul we die.

12. Jesus was aramaic, an ethnicity living with arabs and jewish people. In Islam you must believe in all the prophets of Allah since abraham, believe in the 4 holy books of Allah is crucial too: the Torah given to Moses (also the jewish book), the Psalsms given to David, the Gospel revealed to Jesus and finally the Quran given to the last prophet Muhammad. Read a book before stating "facts" like evidences without no proof. take care may allah forgive you

13. Not voting is just the dumbest thing you can do if you care at all. Write-in Ron Paul, vote for Gary Johnson, Virgil Goode, Rocky Anderson or anyone. Not voting is not a protest, it's just silence.

14. It's more like a sixth chance isn't it? It seems to me that the american people do not deserve Ron Paul.

15. You wasted your time voting for a garbage politician. And you are calling me dumb??

16. your stupid...RON PAUL tells the true... i bet the goverment suport ur ass n thats why all u lazy ass mother phoker voteted for obama...then why dose the military people donate more money to RON PAUL that any other people ha .. answer me that stupid

17. also ur an idiot, what i ment was I would have voted for ron paul over Obama, but with mitt as the candidate i voted for Obama, as I support gay marriage, obama care, etc. thanks tardlet

18. how was my choice to vote for a lesser of two evils stupid? please explain and enlighten me dan

19. You said "ide rather chose the lesser evil", so don't pass responsability for your stupid choice onto others.

20. *4th chance, but I agree we need him.