Ron Paul: Secession Is an American Principle

Ron Paul: This weekend I got a couple of calls from the media asking me questions about Rick Perry, our governor here in Texas and the statements he made about possible secession. Now, he didn’t call for secession, but he was restating a principle that was long held and at least in the original time of our country, and that is that there was a right to secession.

Actually, after the Civil War, nobody believes there is a so-called right to secession, but it is a very legitimate issue to debate because all of the states that came into the Union before the Civil War believed they have a right to secede and New England in the early part of the 19th century actually considered it, and nobody questioned them about whether they had the right to do it or not.

Since the Civil War, it’s been sort of a dead issue, but he brought it up. It stirred the media and believe me, it really stirred some of the liberal media where they started really screaming about what is going on here. “This is un-American”, I heard one individual say, “This is treasonous to even talk about it.”

Well, they don’t know their history very well because if they think about it, it’s an American tradition. It’s very American to talk about secession. That’s how we came into being. Thirteen colonies seceded from the British and established a new country, so secession is very much an American principle.

What about all the strong endorsements we have given over the past decade or two of those republics that seceded from the Soviet system? We were delighted with this. We never said, “Oh no. Secession is treasonous”.

No. Secession is a good principle. Just think of the benefits that would have come over these last 230-some years if the principle of secession had existed. That means the federal government would always have been restrained, not to overburden the states with too much federalism, too many federal rules and regulations.

But since that was all wiped out with the Civil War, the federal government has grown by leaps and bounds and we have suffered the consequences, and we need to reconsider this. It’s not un-American to think about the possibility of secession. This is something that’s voluntary. We came together voluntarily. A free society means you can dissolve it voluntarily. That was the whole issue was about.

Just remember one of the reasons that Wilson drove us in unnecessarily into World War I. He talked about what we have to give, have every country in the world the benefit of self-determination, a good principle. Of course, I don’t think he really believed that. But self-determination is a good principle. It’s a very American principle, so to me it’s a shame that we can’t discuss this.

You know, it’s interesting that so many of us have been taught for so many years, and as long as I can remember from the first grade on up taking the pledge of allegiance that we have a republic that’s “indivisible” and we have been preached that and preached it. So therefore, there is no contest, no question since the Civil War that we have even the thought that this could happen.

But you know what a lot of people don’t talk about and they really don’t even know about is who wrote the pledge to the flag. The pledge to the flag came from, for instance, Bellamy, an avowed Socialist who wanted to put into concrete in the pledge this principle of being indivisible, and he did it, you know, for the celebration ironically 400 years of the celebration of the landing of Christopher Columbus, so it was in 1892.

I mean, the pledge of allegiance has not been here, you know, all our history. So I think it’s worth of discussion. I think people should discuss this because right now, the American people are sick and tired of it all and I think the time will come when people will consider it much more seriously is when the federal government can no longer deliver. That time will come when the dollar collapses.

No matter what they do and how many promises they have and how many bailouts they have, they can’t do it if the money doesn’t work. So then, the independence of the states will come back and it doesn’t mean that you’ll be un-American to even contemplate what might have to be done once the dollar crashes.

While this video was originally recorded on 4/19/2009, Ron Paul spokeswoman Rachel Mills confirmed earlier today (11/13/2012) that Ron Paul “feels the same now” about secession as he did in this video.

1,310 Comments:

1. Dr. Paul IDK what to make of China building an arsenal they show some ships but who is to say they don’t have more built that we have no way of tracking? Sure we all have nuclear protection but I am not so sure that is enough to hold back an enemy that has more smokers than we have people.

2. Imagine how much better everyone would be feeling right now if he was elected…

3. If he would have asked me to write him in I would have but he did not. Gary Johnson asked for my vote and he got it. I am so full of R&D fascists governments.

4. You showed your hand as the bigoted troglodyte that you and so many other Ron Paul supporters are. Who said anything about Keynesianism. Americans have the American School of Political Economy and its antithesis is Ron Paul. The Corporate Empire of Globalism has always been opposed to strong independent states with active protective economic policy. BTW watch your fucking mouth calling me a cunt you ignorant piece of shit.

5. Fuck yes. I love Ron Paul. I love him so much.

Long live the Republic of Maine.

6. No the Jews will not allow Texas to separate.

7. The “Presidential Proclamation” of August 1866 by Pres. Andrew Johnson, between Texas and the US says, “no State, of its own will, has a right or power to go out of or separate itself from, or be separated from the American Union..”

8. Ron Paul started a revolution among young people that will far outlive him. Historians will someday conclude that everybody who opposed “his ideas,” which are the same ideas that forefathers had, was crazy.

9. Heh, yea the number is bugged. And I think you meant to say “likes”

10. watch?v=oIkhgagvrjI tells you why the view count doesn’t match up with likes..

11. I never said I enjoyed the status quo, dipshit.

No, it’s my type of thinking that has progressed our society, you’ve got it backwards.

12. It always does, doesn’t it?

13. What a goal to look foward to.

14. I always said when it geta down too it it will be a battle between the federal government and the states !

We need to do something because the Bankers ROTHSCHILD and the ROCKEFELLER merged in may to increase their wealth for battle !

We just found out that Prescott BUSH used to hang out with the Rothschild , and so did W Bush he went to the JUDAIC CHURCH , Rothschild are Jewish and they changed their name as well to Rothschild.

W BUSH opend the gates with 9 / 11 – and let the Zionists in.

15. Fed govt has gone crazy with wars, banking mess/bailouts, lobbying etc.

Altho I don’t like the sound of it, secession is one solution. But it will make sense only if there is an alternate currency (not debt based) and a banking system free of fractional reserve, if election reforms tackle lobbying/revolving-doors and basically if states follow the constitution properly

16. I don’t know how you could of TOLERATED these morons in congress for 30 years Dr.Paul, let alone work in that hostile environment, I bet your actually in your 30’s but the constant dull thud of ignorant complacent inanimate sheep aged you and two times the rate. Nonetheless your message is truly rasputant.

17. What a great man. His words flow like a bubbling brook up to the heart then they settle over your mind like a refreshing breeze. We love you Mr. Paul !!!

18. The thing is, it’s just not him. I’m all for Ron Paul but a lot of reasonable friends (who i think are reasonable) think he is crazy because he challenges they believe is right, when a lot of those things are actually misleading.