Ron Paul: Secession Is an American Principle

Ron Paul: This weekend I got a couple of calls from the media asking me questions about Rick Perry, our governor here in Texas and the statements he made about possible secession. Now, he didn’t call for secession, but he was restating a principle that was long held and at least in the original time of our country, and that is that there was a right to secession.

Actually, after the Civil War, nobody believes there is a so-called right to secession, but it is a very legitimate issue to debate because all of the states that came into the Union before the Civil War believed they have a right to secede and New England in the early part of the 19th century actually considered it, and nobody questioned them about whether they had the right to do it or not.

Since the Civil War, it’s been sort of a dead issue, but he brought it up. It stirred the media and believe me, it really stirred some of the liberal media where they started really screaming about what is going on here. “This is un-American”, I heard one individual say, “This is treasonous to even talk about it.”

Well, they don’t know their history very well because if they think about it, it’s an American tradition. It’s very American to talk about secession. That’s how we came into being. Thirteen colonies seceded from the British and established a new country, so secession is very much an American principle.

What about all the strong endorsements we have given over the past decade or two of those republics that seceded from the Soviet system? We were delighted with this. We never said, “Oh no. Secession is treasonous”.

No. Secession is a good principle. Just think of the benefits that would have come over these last 230-some years if the principle of secession had existed. That means the federal government would always have been restrained, not to overburden the states with too much federalism, too many federal rules and regulations.

But since that was all wiped out with the Civil War, the federal government has grown by leaps and bounds and we have suffered the consequences, and we need to reconsider this. It’s not un-American to think about the possibility of secession. This is something that’s voluntary. We came together voluntarily. A free society means you can dissolve it voluntarily. That was the whole issue was about.

Just remember one of the reasons that Wilson drove us in unnecessarily into World War I. He talked about what we have to give, have every country in the world the benefit of self-determination, a good principle. Of course, I don’t think he really believed that. But self-determination is a good principle. It’s a very American principle, so to me it’s a shame that we can’t discuss this.

You know, it’s interesting that so many of us have been taught for so many years, and as long as I can remember from the first grade on up taking the pledge of allegiance that we have a republic that’s “indivisible” and we have been preached that and preached it. So therefore, there is no contest, no question since the Civil War that we have even the thought that this could happen.

But you know what a lot of people don’t talk about and they really don’t even know about is who wrote the pledge to the flag. The pledge to the flag came from, for instance, Bellamy, an avowed Socialist who wanted to put into concrete in the pledge this principle of being indivisible, and he did it, you know, for the celebration ironically 400 years of the celebration of the landing of Christopher Columbus, so it was in 1892.

I mean, the pledge of allegiance has not been here, you know, all our history. So I think it’s worth of discussion. I think people should discuss this because right now, the American people are sick and tired of it all and I think the time will come when people will consider it much more seriously is when the federal government can no longer deliver. That time will come when the dollar collapses.

No matter what they do and how many promises they have and how many bailouts they have, they can’t do it if the money doesn’t work. So then, the independence of the states will come back and it doesn’t mean that you’ll be un-American to even contemplate what might have to be done once the dollar crashes.

While this video was originally recorded on 4/19/2009, Ron Paul spokeswoman Rachel Mills confirmed earlier today (11/13/2012) that Ron Paul “feels the same now” about secession as he did in this video.

1,310 Comments:

1. I’d say that these individualists will certainly be allowed to secede as individuals. They can move to another country, maybe even create artificial islands in the ocean and set up their own individual countries. Might be difficult to organize, though: Can you imagine this sign: “Individualists, UNITE!” LOL

2. I’d say that these individualists will certainly be allowed to secede as individuals. They can move to another country, maybe even create artificial islands in the ocean and set up their own individual countries. Might be difficult to organize, though: Can you imagine this sign: “Individualists, UNITE!” LOL

3. Maybe it will be: “Boys will be boys.”

4. Maybe it will be: “Boys will be boys.”

5. All these individuals can easily secede. They can become expats and live in other countries. It’s been done for many years. Just don’t mess with the rest of us, (majority) who live in the US and want it to do well.

6. All these individuals can easily secede. They can become expats and live in other countries. It’s been done for many years. Just don’t mess with the rest of us, (majority) who live in the US and want it to do well.

7. Hmmm, and here we thought voting was part of our right of determination. Silly us, we thought voting was patriotic.

8. Hmmm, and here we thought voting was part of our right of determination. Silly us, we thought voting was patriotic.

9. He still has his following, as is easy to see by the remarks on YT. I guess he likes the feeling of power he gets. And maybe some best seller books. Physician, heal thyself, I say.

10. He still has his following, as is easy to see by the remarks on YT. I guess he likes the feeling of power he gets. And maybe some best seller books. Physician, heal thyself, I say.

11. Okay, alien, aka, ad hominem. Go be a kid and laugh to your heart’s content. Some of us have families and want to be able to proceed without picking apart what the majority of the voters would like to see. If the banksters have destroyed the world economy with credit default swaps and other foolish results of deregulation, so be it. Go and laugh, right along with Satan, if that’s what you want. You guys couldn’t steal the election this time, so live with it instead of picking it apart.

12. Texas must secede with Ron Paul as governor.

13. i really want to see the White House response, what kind of response do you think it will be?

14. How Patriotic..SCREW DEMOCRACY SCREW “We the People”

Ron Paul now talks about Secession after the Electoral College [a constitutional body] vote against his GOP leader..Mitt Romney.

I smell sour grapes, snake oil and treason.

15. Just read “Liberty Defined” by the man himself. ENLIGHTENING is the best way to describe it.

16. Same thing here dude. This bodryn guy doesn’t want to answer me about how we can print more money (Keynesianism) and maintain a gold standard of $35/oz. He say’s the “pump-priming” method works well during FDR who “maintained gold standard”.

LOL. FDR kicked the gold standard in 1933 right? And the Bretton Woods agreement came in and put back the gold standard. Then in 1971 Nixon took it off again. The actual quantitative easing had already begun during FDR’s time.

Right?

17. “People like you scare the h___ out of us who have served our country.”
    Look sir, this ain’t about Vietnam or whatever war you have served in. And I’m not getting started about the legitimacy of those as well.

But If you cannot explain to me how does Keynesianism go hand in hand with the gold standard, it means you don’t really know what it is. Print money and maintain $35/oz? A kid would laugh at that….

We’ll leave it at that, okay?

18. You assume I have no life, and say I am the one who thinks negatively?

You still haven’t addressed my original question about the relevance of the Gold Standard and Bretton Woods. If you keep responding to me, I’m going to keep asking you about it until you actually give me an answer.

19. Ad hominem is not a person. lol.

And I have no idea what the hell you’re talking about.

You haven’t explain to me how Keynesianism (the printing of money) can go together with the gold standard. How does one print money, and keep it pegged to gold at the same time? Common sense dictates if you print more money, its value in relation to gold is reduced. LOL. Tell me why inflation is so high and the 401k is worthless. ANSWER THE DAMN QUESTION, instead of giving me the alien bullshit.

20. NO, but other people will! Why is that so hard for libertarians to understand? Not everyone thinks like them, you have people out there who WILL experiment because of its increased availability. These arent drugs like alcohol and mj, these are drugs that affect you for hours on end and are addicive from the first hit. Drunk driving is already a big enough problem, the fact that would anybody want to increase the chance of intoxicated drivers on the road is beyond me.