7,790 responses to “Ron Paul’s Farewell Address to Congress”

1. nirbija

Make up of the heart fundamentally enables thievery!
    & said thieving tendencies will be acted out without regulations & negative consequences for thievery
    The wealth-addicts get their political prostitutes in Congress to remove regulation, & thus make their thievery ‘legal’ & without necessary negative consequences
    Under reagan, this led to Savings & Loan Thievery
    Under reagan II with bush, AGAIN we have Housing & Financial thievery, which Ron Paul is eager to perpetuate with his anti-regulation

2. Zippyzah

we’re all screwed

3. MrGrevy

It’s not the education system that made them great. If anything, it was probably an obstacle for them to overcome. You lack of reasoning and irrational presumption borders on delusion. Great inventors, innovators, etc. are born with raw talent. It’s not infused in inner city hell holes or country bumpkin schools.

4. DaxtonLord

Been there, done that, and yet I still have not heard an actual logical argument, let alone “the point”. Just an endless tirade of tedious and tiresome insults.

5. MrGrevy

You’re missing the point. Sure, you’ve read “basic historical texts” but you don’t seem to have an ability to synthesize and logically analyze what you’ve read. Keep trying. Maybe try some college courses.

6. tigerphoenix5

We (as a nation) have become atrophied. We don’t even have the attention span to absorb pertinent evidence that enables us to make an educated decision. If I post this to FB very few people will have the patience to sit through 48 minutes of Ron Paul’s most important speech to date. Thank you Ron Paul for attempting to educate and warn us!

7. SpadesNeil

Did you happen to take any economic courses throughout your education history? Because it is my understanding that what you are saying is absolutely a fantasy that has never been successful in history. Feel free to attempt to prove me wrong should you have the ability to provide evidence. I am open-minded, but not a puppet who will obey whoever can pull my strings.

8. Brightnessofsurprise

In the short term, though, you’re right, during a transition, prices would be higher. This is because K-12 education is kept artificially low. Tax breaks could help lower-income children however as a transitionary measure until competition and technology advancement drives the price down. It would be a much more affordable and streamlined system.

9. SpadesNeil

Tell me then when and where in history this has been true and successful.

10. Brightnessofsurprise

Abolishing it immediately would be VERY BAD. Making incremental changes would be the way to do it, just like what is happening now with vouchers and charter schools.

Tuition goes up in higher education because it is subsidized, and thus, there is no incentive to cut costs. When many people are given subsidies, the costs are shifted to the people who pay full tuition. Competition always drives prices down. “Free” alternatives narrow and cartel markets because small, private firms can’t compete.

11. millicentbistander

The only person who was worth supporting in the 2012 election. Love you Ron.

12. SpadesNeil

So we should abolish public education as Ron Paul has said? You’re not making sense. You went to a good Public School but you’re saying we abolish it entirely because some schools are lousy.

I’m not rejecting the notion that private education is better. It is. However, unlike Ron Paul’s fantasy world, prices won’t go down because they’re competing. They’ll go up because there’s no longer a free alternative. Don’t believe me? Look at American colleges.

13. DaxtonLord

You know so little, and articulate it ever so fluently. You have not made a single comment that has not been either an ad hominem attack, a straw man argument, or total non sequitur, careening, unashamedly, from one unmitigated logical disaster to the next. Yes, I have “read the dictionary”, and clearly, unlike yourself, basic historical texts. Try it sometime; you might actually learn something, and be able to engage in political discussion beyond pre-scripted and superficial talking points.

14. Brightnessofsurprise

HAHA. No war-strewn country, dictatorship, or theocracy has a decent shot at providing people a decent education.

I am not against organized education. I argue that public education is not necessary. Education requires a certain level of quality to be useful. I am not arguing that all public schools are bad. I went to a good public school. What I am arguing, is that they are inherently economically inefficient and provide aggregately lower-quality education than a more private system can.

15. hosebeatings

I couldn’t agree more. The man is nuttier than squirrel turds. Good riddance.

16. turbofritz2

The quest is not over with Ron Pauls ending his political project.
    Now Ron Paul will hopefully travel around the world and have lessons and speak.

Even after Ron Paul is gone his legacy speaks for themselfs – His is legend thow not a saviour but a inspiration to lead on with the fight for liberty and AGAINST the state.

Ron Paul is no saviour – but a great insperation – We will continue his work.

17. isaac rogers

Good riddance

18. Herbertsnow

Yeah, Why didn’t America vote for the nutty old man?

19. safetychoice

To think that this great voice will no longer be heard on the House floor. It is the end of an era and the beginning, I am afraid, of a long nightmare. Thank you, Ron Paul. We will not forget. Ave atque vale.

20. SpadesNeil

Okay, here’s my advice to you then. I want you to look to anywhere in the Middle East and tell me how well they do without funding public education. What do you see there?

And honestly do you think whatever cleverness I may have is going to be relevant in the slightest to the real world? How many inventors or wealthy men have become such without even a basic education? A few. Very few. Most of them? They have an education brought to them by the United States Education System.

21. Brightnessofsurprise

Haha. My accepting the view that publicly mandated education is unnecessary does not entail that I must also accept the view that poor people should not be “allowed to be smart.” Furthermore, being taught by public education does not entail that one will become “smart.” If I have a right to a government mandated education, that means I have a right to someone else’s tax dollars to pay for it, and a right to my teacher’s time and attention. Declaring a non-falsifiable claim as “absurd” is absurd.

22. SpadesNeil

So what you’re saying is poor people aren’t allowed to be smart because they’re poor and cannot afford education? It’s not a “right”? Our forefathers would beg to differ.

If you think that charity will put people through school that’s even more absurd. Clearly you and I have a very different idea on what this country was founded on.

23. Lrdvltr

America’s biggest mistake was not electing this man president. Everything he’s been preaching will come true and one day, people will realize what they’ve missed.

24. Brightnessofsurprise

Just because the right knowledge is required for a civil society doesn’t mean that a central power should take money from people by force in order to pay for it. That presumes that any other form/method of education is less efficient. Promoting a virtuous, moral culture is required too, but would you argue that we should be forced to pay to convince people to be more virtuous? Granted, since it is the case that the money is already taken, I would rather they spend it on something like education.

25. RuerlKhan

Had it been possible to do so, efficiently, then I would do so. But thats me personally. What I also know is that many are simply not caring about their fellow people, many are simply too selfish for that. So thats where we need the goverment.

Is it ideal? No. Do I wish that we could do this without the goverment? Hell yes. But do I think its realistic to do so? No, humans have through history, repeately, shown themselves to be selfish. So we cannot.

With that, i’m off for tonight. g’night :)

26. UniversalPotentate

This fool isn’t writing Congressmen or donating to anyone’s campaign. That’s why I’m thinking this individual’s a troll, not a contributing citizen.
    Don’t worry. The lobbies which involve rational thought on civil liberties have grown stronger than the extremist ones. Now if we could only do that for the business lobbies ((sigh))

27. sillynanny44

the point of you paying into that is to get money yourself. that is the intention. it’s not like you’re selfless or anything. I said “without using the govt”. Don’t pay for it through taxes, pay them voluntarily. the problem w/ the govt is that some people are forced to pay more into it than they receive.

28. changefly

Ron Paul is one of the greatest patriots our nation has seen since JFK.

29. RuerlKhan

Furthermore, private insurance on this field tend to be a lot -better- than anything the goverment can give me, so I am better off with that. What the goverment should do is the following:
    1) Set rules for what cannot be omitted from a healthcare plan.
    2) Set by law that everyone should have one.
    3) Pay for said healthcare by reimbursing the money spent by the buisness owners on the subject.

Small buisness should not be forced to do it on their own, thats just daft.

30. RuerlKhan

I can, and I do. Its a part of my ensurance. But if a poor guy down the street, without insurance (because he can’t afford it) needs medical care then when he arrives at the emergency room he’s still being treated, like everyone else.
    That bill then goes to the goverment, and then I pay for his medical care over my taxes.

If he had universal medical care, mandated by the goverment, then said bill would be lower, and so would my tax for this subject.

31. patriotsoldier76

History will show the simple greatness of this man and his platform. America, like Europe will have to choke on it’s own ignorance and possibly be completely lost before it wakes up.

32. sillynanny44

why can’t you people pay for their healthcare yourselves w/o using the government?

33. RuerlKhan

Let me answer by citing the constitutions preamble:

We the People of the United States, in Order to form a more perfect Union, establish Justice, insure domestic Tranquility, provide for the common defence, promote the general Welfare, and secure the Blessings of Liberty to ourselves and our Posterity, do ordain and establish this Constitution for the United States of America.

Note the wellfare part? Or the others? Education is a mandatory requirement to make these things work.

34. Brightnessofsurprise

I’m going to respond in a more digestible/non-ignorant way.

Schools are subsidized by the government. You are absolutely right. That doesn’t mean it’s “free” or is something you ought to die for. The argument that you somehow have a “right” to be educated is absurd. By definition, rights to property and services entail that you have a right to part someone else’s life. Since high-speed transportation gives us more opportunity, should people have a right to transportation?

35. RuerlKhan

Unfortunately, it is. The united states (not america, america is a continent that also includes Canada), this has to do with that the federal goverment essentially does’nt work. In order to implement a working system they need to have a working goverment. And they don’t. Its that simple.

Their goverment is too big, too bloated, too much beurocracy and spend too much to gain too little. Percentile wise they spend more on healthcare than most, but gain less. This is inefficiency of the goverment.