Ron Paul: Price Fixing is Anti-Market and Anti-Freedom

Transcript

Jeffrey Chiesa: New Jersey has a tough price-gouging law, and we have it so that we ensure that profiteers will not take unfair advantage of people at their most vulnerable times: those who have been displaced from their homes due to a major disaster, those who have limited resources, and those who desperately seek out fuel, shelter, and the basic necessities for them and their families.

News Anchor: After a distinguished career in Congress, spanning more than 30 years, Ron Paul has decided to hang up his legislative spurs and return to Texas. But, as you might have expected, the feisty Dr. Paul is not going quietly, and the Congressman joins us right now from the Russell Rotunda in Washington. Congressman, we’re delighted to have you with us, I want to talk about price-gouging and gas prices and things I know you have on your mind in the wake of Hurricane Sandy. Before I do, I would be remiss if I didn’t ask you about the scandal being called ‘Benghazi Gate’ by many. Do you think, first of all, that there really is a scandal there, or do you think that this will sort itself out?

Ron Paul: Well, it may sort itself out, but I think the real scandal is how we get ourselves involved in messes like this and how we get our people in danger spots. Here, we first helped some people who didn’t like their dictator, and we get permission from NATO to go in there and bomb their country and put somebody in charge. And then it looks like they might well have turned against our people and killed our ambassador. And I think we get ourselves into these messes that we shouldn’t.

News Anchor: Are you disappointed in General Petraeus?

Ron Paul: I’m more disappointed in our policies that allow us to get into these predicaments, and people die over it, that’s what bothers me the most.

News Anchor: President Obama is visiting New York on Friday, touring the damage from Hurricane Sandy. One of the things all the elected officials were very keen on, was the exploitation of the victims by the businesses or unscrupulous hustlers. You had an interesting take, though, on price-gouging when it comes to the gasoline prices, something that virtually everyone considers abhorrent. But you had a different take, what is your take on price-gouging?

Ron Paul: My first gripe is that it’s automatically granted as gouging. Well, under certain circumstances, prices go up, and prices go up for certain reasons. To prevent prices from going up, that’s called price fixing, and this has been around for about 2000 years, it was known in the Roman Empire. And one thing that happens if you don’t allow prices to go up and send out the information to increase the supply, is you get shortages, and when you get shortages, you get rationing. And look at what happened? It makes no sense at all, it’s so anti-market and anti-freedom, and it ruins things and delays the inevitable, and that’s why we’re still struggling to solve the problem of shortages. The market works, and the most important time to have a market, is in periods of crisis and when there are shortages, and then the market will adjust for it. But, people, out of emotion, say, “Oh, you can’t have it, he’s charging too much, he’s gouging people”. No, he’s trying to alleviate the problems, and if the prices go up, all of a sudden, supply is increased automatically.

News Anchor: Even if it’s $10/gallon or $20/gallon?

Ron Paul: Sure, the higher they go, the faster they come in, but it would only be for a day, because people would have the supplies go up. But once you freeze it below the market, the shortages expand and the problems are not solved. But, no, the market will dictate who’s going to pay $20/gallon. And if people are going to pay $20/gallon, somebody is going to come in and somebody is going to automatically have a truck full of cans of gasoline and they’re going to sell them, and all of a sudden prices would go down. But it would only take about 24 or 48 hours to have the supply increased, as long as you get the government out of the way and allow the trucks to move.

News Anchor: So, is that why you’re leaving: the inability of Congress to solve our problems?

Ron Paul: Oh, no, that isn’t it. I think they’ve had enough of me up here in Congress.

News Anchor: At least we’ll still have your son to kick around.

Ron Paul: Yea, there you go. But treat him nicely.

News Anchor: Is he going to run for President?

Ron Paul: Oh, I don’t know, I never had that discussion with him, but time will tell.

News Anchor: Alright, so nice to talk to, Congressman Ron Paul, always engaging, always so thoughtful, I appreciate it.

Ron Paul: Thank you very much.

News Anchor: We certainly wish him well in his retirement, that’s it for us tonight.

1. I am from NZ am since I heard Dr. Paul speak I have never heard anyone make so much sense since if only there were more people of his character.

2. JUST A SANDY... AND YOU FUCKERS ARE BROKE? HAHAHAHA

3. A FUCKING ASSFUCK FAT IDIOT USA CITISEN?

4. A FUCKING ASSFUCK FAT IDIOT USA CITISEN?

5. WHY? DO EWERYONE ON FOX NEWS LOOK LIKE A RAG DOLL???

6. WHY? DO EWERYONE ON FOX NEWS LOOK LIKE A RAG DOLL???

7. Ron Paul? More like Ron POOP!!!

8. Dr.Paul I cannot get enough of you. What are you talking about by saying "I think people had enough of me"? I never ever get enough of your wits and wisdom! I started following you since I was ninteen years of age. It has been eleven years now. When I enlisted in the Navy, I never stopped for a day talking about your accomplishments and your great persona. I swear by it that one day the entire division named the Ron Paul of the Navy because I almost imitated the way you talk! I'm so proud of you

9. Affordable Care Act SEC. 1555. FREEDOM NOT TO PARTICIPATE IN FEDERAL HEALTH INSURANCE PROGRAMS
    No individual, company, business ... health insurance coverage shall be required to participate in any Federal health insurance program created under this Act (or any amendments made by this Act), or in any Federal health insurance program expanded by this Act (or any such amendments), and there shall be no
    penalty or fine imposed upon any such issuer for choosing not to participate in such programs

10. Affordable Care Act SEC. 1555. FREEDOM NOT TO PARTICIPATE IN FEDERAL HEALTH INSURANCE PROGRAMS

11. I love you ron paul. i just love you. lol

12. Geraldo is a fool. Ron is a genius. Almost a waste of time to watch them in discussion.

13. IS THIS WHERE THE CAPSLOCK IS? And why didn't you ignore me huh? lol the facts do get your attention huh? lol alright, o'k, shut up! lol Your so funny letters in caps are just letters in CAPS to me i put no meaning to them only to the point being made. thank you for your time i am so glad you did not ignore me :-) vote Ron Paul 2016

14. Another title of this video could be "the moustache talks to the eyebrows" :)

15. He's also pretty old. And this time around he didn't run for his congressional seat at the same time as he ran for president, something people working on his campaign didn't like during the 2008 effort.

In any event, he has earned a rest, which, btw, he is not taking on the taxpayer dime.

16. "I find myself more and more relying for a solution of our problems on the invisible hand which I tried to eject from economic thinking twenty years ago." J M Keynes near end of his life. That's a pretty strong self criticism I would say.

17. "They've had enough of me in congress", yet it isn't enough.

18. Every word out of Dr. Paul's mouth is just dripping with common sense. I literally cannot fathom or understand the people who dismiss him. Utterly mind boggling.

19. Sign this petition to invite Ron Paul to the White House for a policy meeting:

bit.ly\petitions.whitehouse.go­v/petition/invite-ron-paul-whi­te-house-policy-meeting/jdzNhZ­Xx

20. Ron Paul also admitted we have past the point of no return (economically). That is probably why he is retiring. Are we now in the preparation phase? I think we are looking at death by 1000 paper cuts (A slow bleed out collapse).