“Ron Paul Is Real” — Rep. John J. Duncan, Jr.

Transcript

John J Duncan, Jr.: Mr. Speaker, I rise today to pay tribute to my friend, Ron Paul. I have now served in Congress for 24 years, the last 16 of which I have served with Congressman Paul. During all of that time, I have never once seen him waver or stray from the commitment to liberty and freedom and his promise to uphold and defend our constitution. I can assure that no one runs for office wanting to make people mad. In fact, many of the other people who run for office have a stronger desire to be liked than most people. Thus, I feel certain that at times it has been hurtful to Congressman Paul to be the only member out of 435 to vote ‘No’ on some popular bill or some seemingly harmless resolution. Yet, on many occasions, he has been the only ‘No’ vote on some issues. Yet, because of his courage and sincerity and steadfast belief in free-enterprise, private property and individual freedom, he has earned the respect and admiration of almost everyone with whom he has served on both sides of the aisle.

When there was tremendous pressure, especially on the Republican side to vote to go to war in Iraq, only 6 Republicans voted ‘No’. Three of those were very liberal Republicans, and 3 were very conservative. The three conservative ‘No’ votes came from John Hostettler of Indiana, Congressman Paul, and myself. It is probably accurate to say that during the 16 years Congressman Paul and I have served together, no two members have voted more alike than we have. Most of that time, we have arrived at our decisions separately and independently, but we also have discussed many votes over the years and I attended most of the meetings of the Liberty Caucus that Congressman Paul has hosted in his office with a wide variety of speakers. One national magazine about 4 years ago gave just 3 members 100% ratings on the freedom-index: Congressman Paul, Congressman Jeff Flake of Arizona, and myself. Last year, I was very surprised when the national tax payers union ranked me as the most fiscally conservative member on all 338 spending votes, but the only reason that Congressman Paul was not first was because he missed many votes during his run for the White House.

There have been articles and comments and questions about who would be the next Ron Paul in Congress. But really no one can replace Ron Paul or fill his shoes or be the next Ron Paul. He has achieved a fame and a following and a position of influence that is almost miraculous, considering his unique independence. He is such a kind, humble, almost bashful person, that I know he’s been amazed by the numbers that have turned out to support him, and especially the following he has among young people. After all, there’s nothing cool or hip about him, but several million college students and 20-somethings love the name. I think his appeal lies on his principle stands on the issues, the concern young people have for their future and where this country is headed, and the fact that Congressman Paul is real, there’s nothing fake about him. He believes what he says and says what he believes, and then sticks by it even when it is not ‘politically correct’. Financial columnist, Charles Goyette, probably summed up Congressman Paul’s time in office best in a column a few days ago. He wrote, “Politics has ways of bending lesser men and molding even the well-intentioned to become servants of the state. The tools are many: Congressional leadership bribes and bestows its favors, from plum committee assignments to nicer Capitol offices. The parties reward the lockstep-marchers, too. For those who stay in step, there are endorsements and campaign funds. Meanwhile, for those who march to a different drummer …” well, “… and then there’s the simple social pressure to which men whose eyes are not focused on a polestar of principle soon succumb. The description you’ve heard of Washington, that you have to go along to get along, is all too true.” Mr. Goyette concluded by writing, “Ron Paul never succumbed. He never sold out for a better assignment, a nice office, lobbyist largesse, or shallow conviviality”.

Finally, Mr. Speaker, I think words written in the 1930 Novel called ‘The Lion’s Den’ fit Congressman Ron Paul. The words describe a fictional congressman named Zimmer. The author, Janet Fairbank, wrote, “No matter how the espousal of a lost cause might hurt his prestige in the House, Zimmer had never hesitated to identify himself with it if it seemed to him to be right. He knew only two ways, the right one and the wrong. And if he sometimes made a mistake, it was never one of honor. He voted as he believed he should, and although sometimes his voice was raised alone on one side of the question, it was never stilled”.

1. How about you emigrate? There are plenty of places where there are like minded people like yourself.

"I have the right to be in the US partnership, sorry it doesn't suit you."
    Then you have to pay the bills and suffer whatever hardships are imposed under whoever takes leadership of that partnership. Enjoy that dream. How is the corporate overlords and banking cartel rule feel thus far?
    You think the use of drones are going to be limited to foreign soils?

2. We can name call too you Democrip! You Rebloodican! whatever You know Ron Paul is the man!

3. We can name call too you Democrip! You Rebloodican! whatever You know Ron Paul is the man!

4. LIBERTY!

5. LIBERTY!

6. I'm not. I believe anyone that doesn't want to pay to be in my road construction partnership shouldn't have to pay and they should be allowed to emmitgrate somewhere that there is no social infrastructure. Maybe you can find somewhere in Africa or Asia. good luck. I have the right to be in the US partnership, sorry it doesn't suit you.

7. Obama DID sign the NDAA. So we can be imprisoned and target for assassination via executive order.

8. Obama is a NICE GUY.

Why wouldn't anybody vote for Obama? Honestly. He's black and he seems like a great dude. I voted for him specifically for this reason.

9. He is a republican party, you if you think is found the light now?! This is why we call the Ron Paul movement freedumb and losertarians.

10. "No, I like paying for them"
    Good then you can buy them off private providers too. That way you get the roads you pay for, and everyone gets to pay or not pay as per their desire.

No need to force others to pay for what you like.

11. I am curious, what was your turning point. What finally made you realize that our foreign policy was flawed?

12. Good video, nuff said.

13. What a fantastic endorsement of Ron Paul

14. Its good to know that a congressman from my home state is on the same page as Ron Paul.

15. Ron Paul, freed of the encumbrance of running for office, IS NOW DEVOTING HIS TIME to Educate the People (and especially the young generation that will be our Future in a few years) that the Rights of the Individual, the US Citizen, are NEVER to be transgressed upon by any Unconstitutional "Laws, Rules and Regulations" that may be enacted by ANYONE in Office!

That Wars the White House starts without Congressional approval are not only Unconstitutional, but have bankrupted us! That our Money is funny paper printed by a Private, Never Audited, organization called the Federal Reserve Board, that is NOT part of the US Treasury Department (the only LAWFUL AGENCY ALLOWED BY THE US CONSTITUTION TO ISSUE VALID US Dollars)!

And the list of our Citizens sufferings goes on!
    ------------------------------------------------------------------

Ron Paul will now have a greater impact in saving America then ever before! Expect great things from this Greatest American in the months to follow --- and in the next few years --- expect that HIS Liberty Movement will Finally END the Tyranny that the Centralized Federal Government has tried to impose on We, the People!

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    In this latest interview (11-30-2012), Ron Paul logically dissects the problems of our nation --- and gives apodictic solutions to the Intentional Mess the Criminals that have taken Control of the US Government have plunged us into!

Must watch 10 minutes video --- spread it like Wildfire!

16. I watched your video on how Paulites piss you off. I see you have your plate after your trolling comment. In my experience with those who admire Ron Paul, none are new to politics. I can't speak for your experience with Paulites, but my passion for politics was not absent before I heard of Paul and it wont end after he's gone. Grouping people with such wide sweeping assumptions is.... frustrating. I appreciate your civility in discussions though, it is a rarity in my experience.

17. I misinterpreted your history comment. I agree we should be informed by the mistakes of history. Back to my original comment, you make the same assumption that billions make without blinking an eye. You assume that if government doesn't provide it (education, medical research funding, transportation systems, defining commodities) then it wont happen. Whenever a communal system with forced participation (government) tries, the result is worse than if it had been left to individuals. more inc

18. So you assume without the Dept. of Education, 20% of the population today would be illiterate and there would be few colleges? You see the silliness there?

19. it takes almost no time to look up literacy rates since the department of education formed... it's simple to look up the history of the land grant colleges, crucial in our engineering excellence for decades... and still.

20. What kind of a silly response it that? Why don't you show me how much better the education system in the United States has gotten since the creation of the Dept. of Education? Wouldn't that make more sense? No one is calling for an end to public education, states and counties have every right to do such if they choose. The federal government, on the other hand, should not be involved at all. I'd like you to show me where it helps, as most of us can see it doesn't.