Ron Paul: No Second Thoughts about Leaving Congress

Transcript

Alan Colmes: I’m Alan Colmes, and I’m always delighted to have with us on the program Congressman Ron Paul. Dr. Paul is leaving Congress after this term, he served during the late 1970s and early 1980s and returned in 1997 to represent the 14th congressional district in Texas. In 1988 he was the Libertarian Party candidate for President, he’s also the author of several books, including The Challenge to Liberty, The Case for Gold, and The Republic. By the way, you’ve done some great cookbooks, too.

Ron Paul: Oh, yea, my wife did those and we kid a lot about that. I always ask, “Why do you want to do such a silly thing as a cookbook”, but then it turns out that she probably got more votes for me than I got for myself.

Alan Colmes: Are you disappointed with the results of this election?

Ron Paul: Well, not in any way, it is probably exactly what I expected. I remember a couple of days before the election I was asked to predict the outcome, and I said the status quo is going to win. So, from my viewpoint, where I want less war and better protection of civil liberties and free markets, we still have the status quo, we still have the deficits, and they’re going to argue for a while longer. So, I guess I wouldn’t say it’s a disappointment. It’s disappointing, I guess, if we don’t ever shift gears, but it wasn’t unexpected.

Alan Colmes: You didn’t think it would make a difference if it if it was Obama or Romney?

Ron Paul: No, not really.

Alan Colmes: Did you vote for Garry Johnson?

Ron Paul: I’m not telling.

Alan Colmes: You haven’t answered that question yet.

Ron Paul: No, I haven’t answered it, and it’s a little bit late now.

Alan Colmes: What do we do about the fiscal cliff, can we avoid it? And I know you’ve said it’s already happened, but what’s the path that should now be taken by the Congress and by the President?

Ron Paul: I think if you’re in a deficit crisis and a debt problem, that you have to cut back on the spending. If you or I got into serious trouble, we would have to say that if we were ethical, we’d want to pay off our debt. And what we would do is we would get two jobs and we would cut back the spending and get out of the mess we’re in. Governments are different, they never do that, they always just keep borrowing more and printing more and making the problems that much worse. So I would get out of it by cutting back. But during the campaign, I emphasized some priorities, and my idea would be to get people to agree on the overseas spending, because our debt, in the last ten years, probably went up over 4 trillion dollars just from the militarism and the wars. And that’s going to be ongoing when you think of all the men who have come back and are suffering and all the seriously wounded; and I think we can save a lot of money. We don’t have to go immediately after the entitlement system or Child Healthcare. Of course, as a libertarian, I don’t think those are good ideas, I think they usually end up the way they are today: they cost too much and services get rationed and people are worse off. And this was the message that I gave and it was well received on the campuses. The young people are inheriting this mess, they know the wars are useless and they know the spending doesn’t make any sense, and they were very open to my views on the Federal Reserve System, too.

Alan Colmes: So it seems, in your view, perhaps, that if we went off the fiscal cliff, that wouldn’t be such a bad idea if no deal were made, right?

Ron Paul: Well, it’s going to be bad if it doesn’t wake us up. If it wakes us up, it’s good. It’s good that the Soviet Union went off the cliff, and they had to retrench, and they went back home and they quit invading these countries. So I think when it’s admitted in the world sense that the United States is broke and they can’t afford it and they’re tired of loaning us money, we’re going to have to come home because we won’t be able to afford it, because I think then they’ll say, “We better take care of the people here at home rather than fighting these senseless wars”. And I think this is one of the things that actually hurt Romney, he wanted to spend 2 trillion dollars more on the military. And I always think that the candidate that sounds like he’s better for peace, wins the election. And even though Obama actually softened his stand, yet his policies aren’t very peaceful.

Alan Colmes: Yes, he had the surge in Afghanistan and he went into Libya, that’s where I differ from the President, and that’s where your messages resonates so much with me in terms of troops. And you’ve talked so often about all these military bases we have based on the geo-politics of World War II around the world, and how many dollars could we save there

Ron Paul: Yes, and also, as soon as you get this war attitude and you end up with carelessness about civil liberties. Now we have a President that can kill and assassinate American citizens and put them in prison without a trial.

Alan Colmes: Anybody can be declared an ‘enemy combatant’. And how about the Defense Authorization Act where the homeland is declared a ‘battlefield’ or smt.

Ron Paul: Yes, and the military can arrest people. But this is why I see that there is too much bipartisanship, both parties endorse this system. If people are honest with themselves, the foreign policy didn’t change from Bush on to Obama, civil liberties were abused by bush, and they’re abused by Obama. About spending, the conservatives have a reputation for cutting, but they never cut. As a matter of fact, they took a position that deficits don’t matter, that was supply-siders. I think deficits do matter, even though in the short run people think they can keep borrowing. But governments eventually get into trouble, and if an individual gets into trouble, the banks quit giving them any more loans and they have to quit. But governments only quit when they ruin the money, and we’re very capable of doing that.

Alan Colmes: We’re talking with Dr. Ron Paul, you obviously still have a lot to say, and you’ve had a very consistent message for a long time now. Any second thoughts about leaving Congress at the end of this term?

Ron Paul: No, matter of fact I’m sort of looking forward to a little bit different schedule, I’ll get to do things that I have been doing and hopefully I can get back to college campuses. I think that’s where the action is, you can’t have revolutionary changes without young people endorsing it, and I believe they are very open to some of the many things that I’ve talked about.

Alan Colmes: But you obviously want to still be part of the political discussion, you want to be part of the dialogue that’s going on.

Ron Paul: Yea, at least on policy. I have a foundation, and the foundation is going to concentrate on foreign policy. I had dinner last night with Dennis Kucinich, and we’re good friends and we’ll be working together trying to show that somebody who’s calls himself a progressive and libertarians can get together (Republican and Democratic) and agree on some of these things.

Alan Colmes: Some of us talk about the Kucinich-Paul ticket 4 years ago, right?

Ron Paul: Yea, some people said that, but I think it’s not likely to happen. But we can still work together since we’ll both be out of Congress.

Alan Colmes: I’ve also been fortunate enough to have your son, Rand, on the program a few times. And is he now carrying the torch of your message going forward, and can you talk about him running as a candidate in 2016?

Ron Paul: Well, we haven’t talked about that, but I hope he basically sticks to the principles of Liberty, and I believe he will, but it has to be more than Ron Paul and Rand Paul. I mean, if this is significant, you have to have literally thousands of people involved and you have to have an intellectual change, and that’s what I’m interested in more than the politics. And that’s probably why I never became a chairman of a major committee, because I was sort of bored with that. But, hopefully, a few people got to thinking about monetary policy and foreign policy.

Alan Colmes: Let me ask you about the secession movement, and you’re belief is that it’s patriotic. In fact, and it’s called for in our founding documents that states that we certainly have the right to speak up. But are you surprised by the number of people who have signed petitions on the White House website since the election?

Ron Paul: Yes, a little bit, it just seemed like that popped out of nowhere, but many of us have believed that if people read the history honestly, it was sort of understood. But the numbers of people signing up sort of surprised me. But those people who tried to paint us as a little bit off the wall by saying , “Yes, the principle of secession should be there, we should be able to leave”, wonder what they would say about if Greece wanted to leave the European Union, do we say that the European Union ought to invade Greece and destroy them and kill them all because they’re leaving?

Alan Colmes: Do you have empathy or sympathy, at least, for those who want to secede?

Ron Paul: Oh yea, I think the principle is a very good principle. But one thing where I get hesitant about it – because I don’t take the position that Texas should secede, I’m not going to believe that – is because you have to look at what the states are doing. Maybe the state officials are going to abuse the system just like the federal government, so you have to know what you’re substituting it for. So, for me, it’s more important to understand free market principles and why we don’t need these wars and why we should have a government that protects civil liberties. And, you know, the states can be very abusive, too.

Alan Colmes: I only have a moment left, let me take a quick call here for Ron Paul. Rob in San Jose, go ahead quickly.

Rob: Hi, first of all I would just like to say that I so wish that Dr. Paul would have been the nominee. Actually I wish he would have been the third party nominee, which leads me to my question: what can we do to get a viable third party in this country, because the two parties are just …

Alan Colmes: Okay, we only have about 30 seconds left, but let’s try to get an answer, go ahead, Ron.

Ron Paul: Yes, that would be nice, and I’ve worked in that area and have tried to change the rules, but it’s not going to happen in the near future because the Republicans and the Democrats write all the rules. Guess who runs the debates, it’s the Republican and Democratic Parties. So it’s very biased, you can’t get on the ballots and you don’t get recognized by the media.

Alan Colmes: And that was Gary Johnson’s frustration, I’m sure.

Ron Paul: Yea, we go over and send kids overseas and get killed trying to promote democracy, and there are a lot of shortcomings here in this country, that’s my argument, we ought to clean up our mess.

Alan Colmes: Dr. Paul, I appreciate having you on, thank you so much for being with us tonight.

1. So sad he wasn't elected President. The United States had a chance to do something great for humanity and failed. Ron Paul honestly represented the greatest chance of true freedom the world has ever seen.

2. Don't worry Ron, We all know you don't want to say it.

We all know it was Gary Johnson who got your vote.

3. Ron's farewell speech was filled with the depth that can only come from a true understanding of the relationship between government power and personal liberty. The content will ultimately proved profound and prophetic, therefore, we created a special document to memorialize the content. Download it at www.iVoteAmerica.com and transmit it to others. God bless you, Ron!

4. French Canadian and Surfisher.
    Care to respond to this article that someone posted in reaction to Ben Swann's Realty Checks on the Middle East? http://chelm.freeyellow.com/libertarianproblem.html

• Robin,

Oupst... sorry I've posted my comment on the wrong "reply button". So here it is again:

Robin,

Long article! The guy is half right and half wrong.

RIGHT in the sense, that this is really what it looks like. I noticed on this blog that a lot of people are hardcore antisemites, and it is deplorable. It gives the impression that Ron Paul and his followers are all antsemites. Wich of course is not true. I am one good example of that, I don’t have an ounce of antisemetism in my bones.

WRONG in the sense that proven facts (like the Gulf of Tonkin incident) are not hatred directed against the Jews, but the reality. I personnaly will always point out the wrongdoing based on facts, whether it comes from the Jews, Russians, Americans , Chineeses, Arabs, North Koreans or any other. And I will also point out and praise the good things that these nations have done. I believe this is the only “fair play” attitude to stand for. This is why I appreciate so much Alex Jones who has that fair attitude.

CONCLUSION:

FIRST: This guy doesn’t seems to know much about the NWO. Doesn’t seems to know how the Federal Reserve works either. This guy should listen to Alex Jones for a reality check. It would blow his mind. The globalists and banksters comes from all part of the world and from all nation, although the Rockefellers and Rotchilds played a major role in all that mess, but alone, without the consent of multiple people, races and nations, they wouldn’t have gone anywhere…. but it seems that the people only remember these two names. and blames all Jews for these two families. Especially Americans.

SECOND: I think any person who blames another country or nation for their misery is missing the point. The first thing to do is to look to see if we are not guilty of this situation.

I tend to think like Elmer Davis who said this about America:

“This nation will remain the land of the free only so long as it is the home of the brave”.

5. He is destroying the reputation of the liberty movement. That's the thing. We don't want Ronald Reagan. Ronald Reagan was a neo-conservative who ran huge deficits and increased the size and scope of the federal government, despite what the GOP and conservatives would lead you to believe. Every time Rand mentions him, especially in an admirable way, it makes real liberty lovers like myself cringe.

6. When the guy asked Dr Paul what he was going to do now, he mentioned doing more work on his foundation. What is this foundation he's talking about? FREE? Or something else?

• Robin,

Long article! The guy is half right and half wrong.

RIGHT in the sense, that this is really what it looks like. I noticed on this blog that a lot of people are hardcore antisemites, and it is deplorable. It gives the impression that Ron Paul and his followers are all antsemites. Wich of course is not true. I am one good example of that, I don't have an ounce of antisemetism in my bones.

WRONG in the sense that proven facts (like the Gulf of Tonkin incident) are not hatred directed against the Jews, but the reality. I personnaly will always point out the wrongdoing based on facts, whether it comes from the Jews, Russians, Americans , Chineeses, Arabs, North Koreans or any other. And I will also point out and praise the good things that these nations have done. I believe this is the only "fair play" attitude to stand for. This is why I appreciate so much Alex Jones who has that fair attitude.

CONCLUSION:

FIRST: This guy doesn't seems to know much about the NWO. Doesn't seems to know how the Federal Reserve works either. This guy should listen to Alex Jones for a reality check. It would blow his mind. The globalists and banksters comes from all part of the world and from all nation, although the Rockefellers and Rotchilds played a major role in all that mess, but alone, without the consent of multiple people, races and nations, they wouldn't have gone anywhere.... but it seems that the people only remember these two names. and blames all Jews for these two families. Especially Americans.

I tend to think like Elmer Davis who said this about America:

"This nation will remain the land of the free only so long as it is the home of the brave".

7. We're not arguing whether I know how to spell obvoiusly or obviously, obviously.
    You claim:
    Obama's reelection is evidence that Johnson took more votes from Romney than Obama.
    This is not necessarily true. You then criticize my typing error - a common tactic used by people who cannot support their claims with facts.
    Do you have any real evidence that confirms what you suggest?

8. I agree with what you're saying on sanctions and yes, taxation is oppression, but I think Rand Paul knows how to play the game. The future of the party is the liberty movement.

9. The Principle of TRUTH.

10. How is that disappointing? Ron Paul's presidential bid was clearly at an end. Rand had said long before (two years I think?) that he would endorse the Republican candidate. I do understand how Rand's endorsement can be understood as a betrayal of his principles. Indeed, I still have some misgivings about it. Actions speak louder than words though, no?

11. How is that disappointing? Ron Paul's presidential bid was clearly at an end. Rand had said long before (two years I think?) that he would endorse the Republican candidate. I do understand how Rand's endorsement can be understood as a betrayal of his principles. Indeed, I still have some misgivings about it. Actions speak louder than words though, no?

12. Look. The bottom line is that he is putting politics before issues. When he voted for sanctions on Iran, he voted for denying food and healthcare to innocent people. Rand Paul has shown his true colors and parted with Ron Paul on a number of issues. Remember his opinion Ground Zero mosque? Remember the Muslim-baiting attack ads he ran? Remember when he admonished the TSA for not profiling Muslims? Remember when he flip flopped on Gitmo? He has sided with the neocons, and it's morally repugnant.

13. Look. The bottom line is that he is putting politics before issues. When he voted for sanctions on Iran, he voted for denying food and healthcare to innocent people. Rand Paul has shown his true colors and parted with Ron Paul on a number of issues. Remember his opinion Ground Zero mosque? Remember the Muslim-baiting attack ads he ran? Remember when he admonished the TSA for not profiling Muslims? Remember when he flip flopped on Gitmo? He has sided with the neocons, and it's morally repugnant.

14. While I tend to agree with Ron on sanctions, I don't think to it's fair write off Rand simply because he sees sanctions differently than his father. If you haven't, I would encourage you to listen to his explanation of his vote. As for raising taxes....I don't know where you get that idea. He might be the only senator who is refusing to move on taxes in the debate around "the fiscal cliff". How far do you think a bill like "End the income tax" would get? Why didn't Ron introduce bills like that?

15. While I tend to agree with Ron on sanctions, I don't think to it's fair write off Rand simply because he sees sanctions differently than his father. If you haven't, I would encourage you to listen to his explanation of his vote. As for raising taxes....I don't know where you get that idea. He might be the only senator who is refusing to move on taxes in the debate around "the fiscal cliff". How far do you think a bill like "End the income tax" would get? Why didn't Ron introduce bills like that?

16. Actually, Rand introduced an amendment to amend the language in the 2012 NDAA relating to indefinite military detention. He threatened to filibuster if it didn't get a vote. In the end, he signed onto the Feinstein and Lee amendment. It's not as good as Rand's amendment, but it IS a bit of progress on restoring the 6th amendment. And I would argue that Rand and Ron have a bit more in common than the same last name and "a few similar policies".

17. Actually, Rand introduced an amendment to amend the language in the 2012 NDAA relating to indefinite military detention. He threatened to filibuster if it didn't get a vote. In the end, he signed onto the Feinstein and Lee amendment. It's not as good as Rand's amendment, but it IS a bit of progress on restoring the 6th amendment. And I would argue that Rand and Ron have a bit more in common than the same last name and "a few similar policies".

18. the closing of the loopholes is to be fair...the rich can get their accts to find loopholes and legally cheat the system....the system is corrupt....so he is for closing the loopholes, but has never stated that the rich should have to pay MORE taxes...he's all for lower taxes, but for everyone.... regarding santions he explained he would rather do something than do nothing, while I disagree, he's not always going to be perfect...but he later changed his mind and spoke against the sanction bill

19. Haha, i think hipsters were voting for ron paul rather than obama.

20. And you're *obviously* not an English major