Ron Paul: Why I Didn’t Run as an Independent

Transcript

Interviewer: Ron Paul is packing up his Washington condo this week, preparing to sell it and move back to Texas for good. Paul is retiring from Congress, and last week he gave a farewell address from the House floor, repeating the small-government sermon he first shouted in obscurity, and then injected into the national debate. With his time in Washington DC coming to a close, I sat down with Paul for a kind of ‘exit interview’.

Question: You’ve been here on-and-off since 1976, what would you say the three most damaging special interests are in Washington?

Ron Paul: You know, I see so many, and they’re all the same.

Interviewer: I know, but you much have some that really bother you.

Ron Paul: I think the military-industrial complex is very bad.

Interviewer: That was No.1.

Ron Paul: I don’t know if they should be in order.

Interviewer: Okay, don’t give them in order.

Ron Paul: Another one would be the banking system: how the Federal Reserve works and how it helps big banks. The interest that I would like to see, and that I worked on, was to try to get those people who just want their freedom to take care of themselves, and that’s the one that’s the least influential. Up here, it’s the people who want stuff and who get the benefits by just lobbying for those things that they want.

Interviewer: Another thing you mentioned in your farewell speech is your belief that we need to build coalitions, not necessarily reach compromises. And I wonder if you think your beliefs could be a 51% coalition in your lifetime, or in what timeframe?

Ron Paul: I think if I talk to a crowd of people, no matter which crowd, and say, “Do you believe in the free enterprise system, that people should be able to work and have their earning?” they say, “Yea, I believe that”. And if I asked, “Do you believe that your privacy should be protected, that the government shouldn’t be in your bedroom, that they shouldn’t be spying on you?” people would agree. And, most of the time when I asked, “Do you think we should be the policeman of the world?” they say, “No”. But when it comes to the particulars, they don’t stick with it, and they say, “Yes, but go too far, you want too much freedom”.

Interviewer: Well, this is another thing you touched on in that speech, you said this idea of liberty is popular, has been popular, so why doesn’t it win. It’s kind of a question that you didn’t fully answer in that speech, why do you think it doesn’t win?

Ron Paul: Not a lot of people talk about it, and I did try to explain it in the speech, in that, the concern about freedom was lost because freedom creates so much prosperity, that people get complacent. Then they become materialistic, and all they can deal with is redistribution and they find that with the government, you can make more money by getting a contract from the government than by being a genius and being productive. You know, when I first came here in 1976, I think I was under the impression that if you talk about welfare, you’re talking about those people who won’t work and get food stamps. But I have a very different opinion now. That exists, and it’s not healthy, but that’s minor compared to the food stamps the wealthy get. The wealthy get the contracts and the special deals, and that’s where I think the biggest trouble is.

Interviewer: That’s a way of speaking that most Republicans don’t usually engage in. Your son, the senator from Kentucky, Rand Paul, said recently that the Republican Party is in danger of becoming a dinosaur.

Ron Paul: Yea, but I think the whole government and the Democratic Party and the Republican Party are all dinosaurs.

Interviewer: What’s the future of the Republican Party, though?

Ron Paul: Well, the same as the Democratic Party. The principles are dinosaurs. The parties are going to linger because they’re locked in by law. You know, we’re not allowed to compete, the laws are biased against us from competing. And if you go third-party, you can’t get in the debates and you can’t get on ballots.

Interviewer: You talk about the grip of that two-party system, did you seriously consider running as an independent for President in 2012?

Ron Paul: No.

Interviewer: You didn’t consider it because it’s not practical?

Ron Paul: Not practical, absolutely not practical. Because this would have been a good year to have an alternative, and you can’t get much of a showing either on the Libertarian side or the Green side.

Interviewer: So then, how do we get out of this system, what do us see as the answer to this, or do we just keep bumping along with the way things are? You can’t believe that, that would make you too sad.

Ron Paul: No, you go to the campuses, you rally the young people, and you stir up a whole generation of people. Ideas do have consequences, and that’s where the good news is, because the campuses are alive and well with these views and they know the system is bankrupt. And there is this illusion that you can spend endlessly and print endlessly, and there will always be credit out there. And so far so good, but credit can end quickly, the dollar can crash quickly, and a new system will have to be developed.

Interviewer: One last thing, where do you pride yourself?

Ron Paul: Nothing in particular, other than the fact that the people say, “One thing we can say about you is that you are very consistent”, and they say this in a very nice way.

Interviewer: And you’ve changed the discussion in this country, you must be proud of that.

Ron Paul: Yea, that would be nice, time will tell. But what I always get a charge out of is when they’re so nice and they say, “This is good, you’re very consistent”, they must say to themselves, “But I’m always inconsistent”, and that’s wonderful. And they run the show, I never ran anything, I was just bubbling along here when it came to legislation. So the people who, in a way, admit they’re inconsistent, get to run the Legislative System.

Interviewer: Thank you so much for your time, we really appreciate it.

Ron Paul: You’re welcome.

1. Ron Paul reminds me of a chihuahua.

2. Funny how my drugged out mind can blow yours into the dirt. Let's see you do what I can right now. Let's see what you can do next to me with this guitar here...or piano, keyboards, ukulele, drums etc. Oh, not a music fan? I built 5 single family homes as the solo engineer in 8 months. Eat that shit fool. I'll kick your ass in golf, fishing, babes, you name it! You're such a foolish idiot. Go drink your fluoride so it further calcifies your pineal gland.

3. What kinda pathetic comment is that?...and ur user name..wtf? How can you be so selfish and evil to want people living near you banished from your sight and want them to commit suicide? They usually don't even bother anyone and are commonly still good, functioning individuals who contribute a lot of good things to society and our economy. The beetles were idiots? Well I guess it takes one to know one. haha.

4. He looks like he's about to cry. I think he knows we're fucked, and he's sad because he tried so hard to stop it, because he really cared.

I feel like I'm on the Titanic, staring at The Iceberg, knowing I can't steer it, stop, and have to go along with it. We are so fucked. I feel so terrible that this man is not President.

5. I disagree with you.

6. If someone physically hurts someone else then they should be held responsible... If no one is hurt or property damaged then there should be no crime... No victim no crime

7. If we took a real vote today he would win. The election was a complete fraud as even whole states that went for Ron Paul were simply not counted. :

8. the bong has nothing to do with anything. Grow up idiot.

9. Nice prediction or was it a premonition? Either way I like it!

10. Nobody is being hurt or killed because of it. You already live in a world with pot heads all around you. Just think about alcohol....it's extremely obvious that it is WAY more dangerous...yet it's still legal, and not just for sick people. Sometimes people are drunk when they kill somebody, but they didn't kill somebody because they were drunk, it's because of the careless activity they were involved with..etc. There are more deaths from pharma pills than illegal drugs n e ways.

11. I am guessing the anti drug people commenting on here never drink alcohol, caffeinated drinks, use tobacco, prescription drugs, over the counter drugs, sugar or any other "drugs"... You all are hypocrites and are no better than any radical deciding what's best way to run a strangers life... You are the problem

12. We are all dinosaurs.

13. I am proud as hell of you Dr. Paul.

14. I agree with you

15. Yes these people suck that do drugs and waNT them legal. weed isnt so bad but it should ONLY be available to sick people. I dont want to live in a world full of drug heads or pot heads. I dont want to die when one runs over me and kills me. Or worse the damn pot head kills a kid. Yea right its your business to put that in your body but they are overlooking the Innocent people being hurt or killed because of it.

16. the soil is full of salt.

17. but the weeds of corruption have drained all the water and the nutrients from the soil.

18. the interviewer is pathetic.

19. There you go again. Step away from the bong! If you do not step away from the bong you are not ever likely to regain sanity. Why would a practicing addict like yourself not want neighbors who engage in the same vices? You drug addled trolls never cease to amaze me in your ability to attribute your own failures to others.

20. how didnt this man become president i just dont get it