Ron Paul’s New Year’s Message to Congress: Follow the Constitution

by Ron Paul

As I prepare to retire from Congress I’d like to suggest a few New Year’s resolutions for my colleagues to consider. For the sake of liberty, peace and prosperity I certainly hope more members of Congress consider the strict libertarian-constitutional approach to government in 2013.

In just a few days, Congress will solemnly swear to support and defend the Constitution of the United States against all enemies, foreign and domestic. They should read Article 1 Section 8 and the Bill of Rights before taking such a serious oath. Most legislation violates key provisions of the Constitution in very basic ways, and if members can’t bring themselves to say “no” in the face of pressure from the special interests, they have broken trust with their constituents and violated their oath. Congress does not exist to serve the special interests. It exists to protect the rule of law.

I also urge my colleagues to end unconstitutional wars overseas. Stop the drone strikes. Stop the covert activities and the meddling in the internal affairs of other nations. Strive to observe good faith and justice towards all nations, as George Washington admonished. We are only making more enemies, wasting lives and bankrupting ourselves with the neoconservative interventionist mindset that endorses preemptive war that now dominates both parties.

All foreign aid should end, which is blatantly unconstitutional. While it may be a relatively small part of our federal budget, for many countries it is a large part of theirs and it creates perverse incentives for both our friends and enemies. There is no way members of Congress can know or understand the political, economic, legal and social realities in the many nations to which they send taxpayers’ dollars.

Congress needs to stop accumulating more debt. U.S. debt monetized by the Federal Reserve is the true threat to our national security. Revisiting the parameters of Article 1 Section 8 would be a good start.

Congress should resolve to respect personal liberty and free markets. Learn more about the free market and how it regulates commerce and produces greater prosperity ever than any legislation or regulation.

Understand that economic freedom is freedom. Resolve not to get in the way of voluntary contracts between consenting adults. Stop bailing out failed yet politically connected companies and industries. Stop forcing people to engage in commerce when they don’t want to, and stop prohibiting them from buying and selling when they want to. Stop trying to legislate your ideas of fairness. Protect property rights. Protect the individual. That is enough.

There are many more resolutions I would like to see my colleagues in Congress adopt, but respect for the Constitution and the oath of office should be at the core of every single member’s of Congress due in 2013.

1. IAMHEHOHAM? What kinda name is that?

2. Gun grabbers have very little visible support.

Please call and urge your Congressman and Senators to oppose all Anti-gun legislation.

Tell your Congressman and Senators that you will be watching their vote on this issue, tell them "You could never support anyone who voted restrict to our gun rights in any way." tell them. "That this issue is your top priority" urge them to "Vote against any Anti-gun bill."

3. Gun grabbers have very little visible support.

4. EPIC FISCAL CLIFF ANALYSIS --------------> watch?v=r2tqx3vgi2E

5. Passive resistance is the only answer to government tyranny. But hold on to your guns just in case.

6. indeed... ron paul is a type of weave, however I would argue that he is Sateen not Satin since we all know that he is composed of short-staple yarns as opposed to filament fibres. I'm glad we addressed this important issue that is often brushed under the carpet in these debates

7. "Power To The People" you draft dodging dope fiend! Go start a "Paultard Commune" and smoke crack and shoot heroin to your heart's content! It's losers like you who gave America a bad name in the first place! You jitbags are not the solution, you're THE PROBLEM!

8. You're a horse's ass. Get back in your flying saucer and go back to 'Planet Stupider' or wherever the hell you come from.

9. You again? No, you cannot suck my dick. How many times do I have to tell you that I ain't gay! Now leave me alone, you fuckin' queer!

10. And yet nothing in your rant is an argument.

11. Not the last... but the 1st of a new generation of great patriot Americans.

12. Thank you Dr Paul for all of your years of service and dedication. May you have a happy retirement and may you and your family be blessed with much joy and happiness. You will be missed. Thank you for all you have done and for speaking out when others would not.

Namaste'

13. I voted for you in the Illinois primary. Thanks for all the hard work over the years!

14. Ron Paul... the Greatest US President America never had !

Highly rated. What do you think? Thumb up 11 Thumb down 0

15. Control freaks, like Obamalini, love preemptive wars. They get to force people to live their way or kill those that refuse to! It's a "progressive's" dream come true!

16. Another loony control freak who doesn't like being told he should stop trying to impose his will on others! Was it Ron Paul saying that the drone strikes should stop or was it the addiction to non-stop pre-emptive wars that control freaks like you have ?

17. liberal tolerance.

18. Honorable Ron Paul Thank You for your service to our Country in Air Force and Congress. Because of you I am ashamed to say I voted for a Texas Republican as a lifelong Jacksonian Democrat. Hell,... Ohios Republican Party even tried to hit me up for donations after they destroyed my small free and independant taxi business for the sake of the big cab company in town that keeps them lubricated.

It was Air Force Academy docs that 1st stitched me up as a brat in 1st grade.
    I appreciate your proper medical diagnosis of what is truly the root cause of our economys sickness.
    I always felt safe in Air Force medical hands.

My childhood (Vietnam war era) love of Japan will never allow me to agree with everything you propose but as a former Ft Knox tank driver i have no respect for any politician that has no courage to defend the Peoples precious metals with mouth and career.

I embrace new Japan PM Shinzo Abe support of our alliance but fear he seems to be a Central bankers wet dream come true. I feel fear like it's 1938 all over again.

You have my patriotic love and i deeply regret your retirement.
    If you ever get to Columbus look me up. If the corperate fascist jesus nazi wing of Ohio republican party ever makes repairations and restitution for destroying my business i would walk through their door a new member. Maybe you can persuade them here in Franklin county. I put country before any party even though I was a Navy orphan with ancestry in the same Wexford Ireland as my beloved JFK. I went to Wellfleet Mass elementary when he was President. Imprinted like a baby duck. He was the first human i ever grieved for. Ironicly one of my kin is the local Republican Party chairman. I'm dissapointed but at least he's an Irish Republican! Pog Mo Thoin.

Take care whenever mentioning Article One section 8 to also include section 10 because that clause is the most damning evidence against monopoly money.
    No one gets to vote for monopoly money Guvnors. Article 10 mandates elected State Government where all real economy is local, as the only legal tender authority according to section 8 National Standards.

Love and Blessings on your retirement.
    and Thanks again for your heroic service to Country and Constitution.

For God and Country
    Pro Deos Et Patria

19. I love Dr. Paul! He speaks truth!

20. Happy New Year Dr. Paul and Family! More Power and Good Health to you and family.