293 Responses

Transcript

Ron Paul: The financial political crisis is a consequence of excessive debt, unfunded liabilities, spending, bailouts and gross discrepancies in wealth distribution going from the middle class to the rich. No good has ever come from granting monopoly power to the state to use aggression against the people to arbitrarily mould human behavior. Such power, when left unchecked, becomes the seed of an ugly tyranny.

Neil Cavuto: Don’t look now, but Paul the Apostle has just wandered into the desert – not the biblical Paul, but the political Paul. But you’d have a very hard time distinguishing between the two, since Ron Paul supporters also have darn-near religious fervor for their unlikely leader. And why not, the former Texas Congressman and presidential candidate single-handedly galvanized a nation to think that libertarianism isn’t a crazy science. In Washington, it’s about basic math: money in, money out. A lot more money is going out than coming in, which is a bad combination. Before anyone, and I have covered everyone, Ron Paul was first [demurring] its disastrous consequences even before that guy, Ross Perot. He joins me now on the phone for his first interview as a former Congressman.

Welcome, sir, it’s very good to have you.

Ron Paul: Thank you, Neil, it’s nice to be with you again.

Neil Cavuto: At the risk of sounding smarmy and disingenuous, Congressman, I think you are among the smartest, sharpest and most [prissy] of public officials I have ever had the honor of speaking to. Now, I know that might not sound as a complement, but it is. And I wonder, with a voice like yours gone, who watches the tail, who watches all the money going out of Washington?

Ron Paul: Well, I think they’ll be many, and if I did any good at all, there should be quite a few.

Neil Cavuto: I had a hard time seeing them, Congressman, for that budget deal, Congressman.

Ron Paul: Well, how often do you see 15 people voting against the Speaker.

Neil Cavuto: Good point, good point.

Ron Paul: We used to say that if we got a 100 spontaneous phone calls in the congressional office, that meant there are about 2000 people who were really thinking about it. So if there’re are a couple of congressmen who are frustrated with the system right now, that means there were a lot more congressmen that just didn’t want to stand up and say so. No, it’s there, and I’ve tried to be the optimistic, but I don’t find that optimism in Washington, and as you have pointed out so often, I get some encouragement from the college campuses. And therefore I’m not a pessimist because I think they’re willing to listen, they’re idealistic and they know what they’re inheriting. So, therefore, I think we can pull out of this, but not with the current crop of politicians in Washington. Attitudes have to change, and that’s what I work on: changing people’s opinion, and I think to some degree I’ve had a little bit of success.

Neil Cavuto: Well, I think you have, Congressman. What I found while covering this last presidential race was that you respected people’s intelligence and the proof was during the primary caucus process. Your comments on each election night were electrifying, only you could get standing cheers and whoops from college kids, and you were talking about the money supply and the Federal Reserve. And I have been trying my entire career to do that, Congressman, and I have the benefit of a prompter, you didn’t. So hope springs eternal that this sticks and this measures and gets people galvanized. Here’s my word though, Congressman, I look at these public opinion polls where people say, “Leave the spending alone, zap the rich, leave my Medicare alone, leave my Medicaid alone, leave my Social Security alone”. Others are saying leave defense alone, just tax the rich. And I’m beginning to wonder whether we’ve gone from a country where supposedly the era of big government was over, to maybe the era of big government is back.

Ron Paul: Well, it never left, I don’t think so. There was talk of it, but I think the attack on the rich, and people have pointed out quite frequently that if you tax the rich and took all their money, it only finances government for a very short period of time. So in my farewell speech I made this point that for so many who advocate taxing the rich, it’s sort of envy. Envy is driven by destroying the people who are successful, not really helping the people. It obviously doesn’t help the people they’re taking the money from, but it doesn’t help the people who are taking the money either. Does it create a more vibrant economy, does it increase our economic activity? No. But too often people are driven by envy and they just can’t stand the success of people making money, but that’s what happens in a free market.

Neil Cavuto: I wish we had more time, but don’t you think we’ve given up the free market itself, that a free market itself is what’s being sacrificed here?

Ron Paul: Oh, I think so, and, of course, I’ve been arguing that that’s been sacrificed a long time ago. I remember getting really criticized by somebody who was criticizing capitalism and how terrible this capitalism was and I came back and said, “But we don’t have capitalism, we don’t have free markets, we have fixed interest rates, we have interventions, we have over-planning, over-spending, and deficits.” That’s not what happens in a free market, a free market is designed quite differently. So I resent the fact that they blame the problems that we have, we’ve just had all these extremists believing in Laissez-faire capitalism, and that’s why we have this mess. They’re wrong on that, and I’m trying to change people’s minds regarding that issue.

Neil Cavuto: Well, keep at it, young man. Ron Paul, I want to thank you, the last time you were here, I had a viewer telling me, “You know, Neil, when he leaves Washington, you should have him be your co-anchor”. I immediately shot and email back saying, “No, I don’t believe in any co-anchor who would make me look bad”. Congressman, thank you very much.

Ron Paul: Well, have me back some day.

Neil Cavuto: I will, I will.

Processing your request, Please wait....

293 responses to “Ron Paul’s First Interview after Leaving Congress: We Don’t Have Capitalism, We Don’t Have Free Markets”

1. Kaptain Kanada

It’s called “national socialism”.

2. dreamwarrior22

these kind of comments are what give me hope. in 2008 me and ONE other friend were diehard Ron Paul supporters. we were 19 at the time. In 2012 I had COUNTLESS friends who could rant about the federal reserve for hours on end, and in 08 they had no clue what the reserve was. People are waking up. We just have to keep spreading the word.

3. BradNC11175

Ron Paul and his followers are like a hand full of dollars in a store house full of dimes. By a dollar I mean a dollar from back in the day when paper money was actually backed by something and by dimes I don’t mean 90% silver pre 1965 dimes, I mean the dimes of post 64 that aren’t worth a crap. The end game is and has been here for this country for some time and Ron Paul may have been the last guy (economically speaking) who could’ve fixed what is broken). America you will get what you deserve.

4. cdltpx

I hate when they blame gun violence on lack of gun control when it was GUN CONTROL that caused the shooter the ability to kill more people. They still have not taken steps to protect our children they need armed teachers and bus drivers.

5. morgall

Neil Cavuto is kissing ass, now that he knows that the shit is going to hit the fan..

6. IansProdDeluxe

We have a nasty crony capitalistic system plus corporatism and a little bit of socialism and communism

7. MercuriallyStatic

Don’t forget about how his head was shown to 40000 roaring Roman citizens. The twilight of empire truly births forth frightened blood and spectacle.

8. Nick Brown

I LOVE just LOVE how Neil is Praising Dr. Paul now that the election is over. wat a douche.

9. 1uneek

He has moved from being a threat now. Fox feels safe now.

10. draingone

fuck money fuck gold I kno where it comes from da ground on earth & God gave man land if ppl want 2 idolize it den others will always feel like dey hav da upper hand on us so let dem hav it we want freedom & dem off da throne money we don’t hav only brings us mo problems so y not go back 2 what one kno & bring back education.&.humanity

11. LibertyAndFaith

SIGN MY PETITION TO IMPEACH OBAMA if he attempts to use executive powers to ban any firearms including “assault weapons”! The link is below. I had to add spaces in order to post it here on youtube, so you will need to remove the spaces from the address in order to use it.

h t t p : / / w h . g o v /QuZ0

12. TrippingTheTube

Love Ron Paul.

13. draingone

same ppl who put bush in office is da same who made sure Paul didn’t win

14. kingnizzle2000

For all the fake news reporters on fox… Neil is hands down the real deal

15. thekoollemon

hmmmmmmmmmm

16. deathguitrst

yeah neil cavuto has always been a ron paul admirer

17. Victor Morales

God bless you Ron Paul :) We all love you and what you’ve done for all of us. Have a great retirement and a first class trip to Heaven when your time comes. Which I hope isn’t soon because we all love hearing what you have to say. Now it’s our turn to finish what you’ve started. And lets hope it gets done as soon as possible.

18. goldcurrent1

Death to the NWO.

19. Chaaazz2008

Neil always had Paul on and has liked him for a long time.

20. WOLFENCT

I love how Fox News is kissing Paul’s ass now when they ignored and ridiculed him both times he ran for President. What a joke!

21. ustfu

I enjoyed your books, like Liberty Defined and End the Fed. Please write more books if you have time.

22. defkon99

A Great MAN!!

23. mykovn

In Vietnam they make $10-30 USD a month for working in factories, store clerks, etc and they’re a communist country but each household owns their own land and home, unlike here in America. Such bullshit.

24. ReeferRevolution

Ron paul 2008

25. BNotAffraid

If even HALF of the individuals supposedly representing us in government were like Ron Paul, we might be in better shape than we are today. God Bless Ron Paul and may He have mercy on this sleeping nation… because once the guns are gone, the elite that run this world will not.

26. ThanhGio

Ron Paul woke me up to the political machine. In 2008 i voted for my party. In 2012 I voted for a man i believed in. I will never waste my vote ever again, even if i know the person i vote for will not win; because its my vote, and my voice.

27. qwertyman321

he’s a old man, you can’t expect him to fight your battles for you.

28. carven2004eca

Ron Paul how could you retire? You were awakening so many people, myself included. You were showing that there still was hope and a chance to save our country. We need someone like you to follow.

29. dhfhs2

Trollception

30. PersonalJesus348

I’m sad to say if it wasn’t for Paul I probably be with the rest in saying “REGULATE MILK PRICES” though now I can see how ridiculous it sounds. Keep them out!

31. Sub Hektik

Presidential winner before the fact that the Republicans through out his voters

32. Michael Phillips

Don’t listen to ju88ff, he’s a faggot like the rest of the sheep!

33. Void Mech

The only people who “need” government assistance are those with permanent disabilities that absolutely cannot work. Nobody “needs” food stamps to live. End all these entitlements.

34. Tom Lupul

Thank you Neil Cavuto for giving Ron Paul the credit he deserves.

35. hotfudgemoney

I think Ron’s a lot more relaxed now that he’s no longer campaigning and good for him. Love you, RP.