292 Responses

Transcript

Ron Paul: The financial political crisis is a consequence of excessive debt, unfunded liabilities, spending, bailouts and gross discrepancies in wealth distribution going from the middle class to the rich. No good has ever come from granting monopoly power to the state to use aggression against the people to arbitrarily mould human behavior. Such power, when left unchecked, becomes the seed of an ugly tyranny.

Neil Cavuto: Don’t look now, but Paul the Apostle has just wandered into the desert – not the biblical Paul, but the political Paul. But you’d have a very hard time distinguishing between the two, since Ron Paul supporters also have darn-near religious fervor for their unlikely leader. And why not, the former Texas Congressman and presidential candidate single-handedly galvanized a nation to think that libertarianism isn’t a crazy science. In Washington, it’s about basic math: money in, money out. A lot more money is going out than coming in, which is a bad combination. Before anyone, and I have covered everyone, Ron Paul was first [demurring] its disastrous consequences even before that guy, Ross Perot. He joins me now on the phone for his first interview as a former Congressman.

Welcome, sir, it’s very good to have you.

Ron Paul: Thank you, Neil, it’s nice to be with you again.

Neil Cavuto: At the risk of sounding smarmy and disingenuous, Congressman, I think you are among the smartest, sharpest and most [prissy] of public officials I have ever had the honor of speaking to. Now, I know that might not sound as a complement, but it is. And I wonder, with a voice like yours gone, who watches the tail, who watches all the money going out of Washington?

Ron Paul: Well, I think they’ll be many, and if I did any good at all, there should be quite a few.

Neil Cavuto: I had a hard time seeing them, Congressman, for that budget deal, Congressman.

Ron Paul: Well, how often do you see 15 people voting against the Speaker.

Neil Cavuto: Good point, good point.

Ron Paul: We used to say that if we got a 100 spontaneous phone calls in the congressional office, that meant there are about 2000 people who were really thinking about it. So if there’re are a couple of congressmen who are frustrated with the system right now, that means there were a lot more congressmen that just didn’t want to stand up and say so. No, it’s there, and I’ve tried to be the optimistic, but I don’t find that optimism in Washington, and as you have pointed out so often, I get some encouragement from the college campuses. And therefore I’m not a pessimist because I think they’re willing to listen, they’re idealistic and they know what they’re inheriting. So, therefore, I think we can pull out of this, but not with the current crop of politicians in Washington. Attitudes have to change, and that’s what I work on: changing people’s opinion, and I think to some degree I’ve had a little bit of success.

Neil Cavuto: Well, I think you have, Congressman. What I found while covering this last presidential race was that you respected people’s intelligence and the proof was during the primary caucus process. Your comments on each election night were electrifying, only you could get standing cheers and whoops from college kids, and you were talking about the money supply and the Federal Reserve. And I have been trying my entire career to do that, Congressman, and I have the benefit of a prompter, you didn’t. So hope springs eternal that this sticks and this measures and gets people galvanized. Here’s my word though, Congressman, I look at these public opinion polls where people say, “Leave the spending alone, zap the rich, leave my Medicare alone, leave my Medicaid alone, leave my Social Security alone”. Others are saying leave defense alone, just tax the rich. And I’m beginning to wonder whether we’ve gone from a country where supposedly the era of big government was over, to maybe the era of big government is back.

Ron Paul: Well, it never left, I don’t think so. There was talk of it, but I think the attack on the rich, and people have pointed out quite frequently that if you tax the rich and took all their money, it only finances government for a very short period of time. So in my farewell speech I made this point that for so many who advocate taxing the rich, it’s sort of envy. Envy is driven by destroying the people who are successful, not really helping the people. It obviously doesn’t help the people they’re taking the money from, but it doesn’t help the people who are taking the money either. Does it create a more vibrant economy, does it increase our economic activity? No. But too often people are driven by envy and they just can’t stand the success of people making money, but that’s what happens in a free market.

Neil Cavuto: I wish we had more time, but don’t you think we’ve given up the free market itself, that a free market itself is what’s being sacrificed here?

Ron Paul: Oh, I think so, and, of course, I’ve been arguing that that’s been sacrificed a long time ago. I remember getting really criticized by somebody who was criticizing capitalism and how terrible this capitalism was and I came back and said, “But we don’t have capitalism, we don’t have free markets, we have fixed interest rates, we have interventions, we have over-planning, over-spending, and deficits.” That’s not what happens in a free market, a free market is designed quite differently. So I resent the fact that they blame the problems that we have, we’ve just had all these extremists believing in Laissez-faire capitalism, and that’s why we have this mess. They’re wrong on that, and I’m trying to change people’s minds regarding that issue.

Neil Cavuto: Well, keep at it, young man. Ron Paul, I want to thank you, the last time you were here, I had a viewer telling me, “You know, Neil, when he leaves Washington, you should have him be your co-anchor”. I immediately shot and email back saying, “No, I don’t believe in any co-anchor who would make me look bad”. Congressman, thank you very much.

Ron Paul: Well, have me back some day.

Neil Cavuto: I will, I will.

Processing your request, Please wait....

292 responses to “Ron Paul’s First Interview after Leaving Congress: We Don’t Have Capitalism, We Don’t Have Free Markets”

1. b0ondockz

Yeah, a war on us to protect themselves.

2. haze kouby

Please, on behalf of humanity, anyone who was duped into voting for this retard fascist, just stay at home with your survival foods and your guns and stop bothering real people out there who enjoy life and fellow humans.

3. CryOverdage

Video ist not loading!

4. CryOverdage

Video ist not loading!

5. carven2004eca

These aren't my battles they are everyone's battles, you included. The Ron Paul movement was really starting to pick up some steam. I wish he would have stayed longer. I do understand his age but at the same time we still needed him.

6. puck30

First this was FBN, second if you watched Cavuto's show Neil was one of the VERY few that had Dr. Paul on a regular basis. Cavuto always respected Dr. Paul.

7. acotytamwiesz

I have a feeleing that prior to 2016 elections something will break in the american nation. Revolutions are never nice

8. acotytamwiesz

Neil Cavuto is a relatively early 'convert'. Initiallly being very biased, he quickly understood what kind of a man is Ron Paul, and has turned 180 degrees since that moment. Neil Cavuto is a good smart person .

9. puck30

Thanks Neil for the interview with RP. You were one of the very few who always gave Dr. Paul a fair shake. It's a shame you have to work at Fox.

10. theoremaxim

Nope, it's just a war to protect THEM. We're just collateral damage.

11. b0ondockz

If that was the case it would still be "a war on us".

12. lukasnummer1

I´ve heard he´s gonna write another book soon.

13. lukasnummer1

Don´t understand why he shouldn´t run in 2016. Age is not an argument, looking at him, listening to him.

14. BLAGASPANTS

I know, fucking crazy isn't it that FOX News of all networks would kiss is ass like this sniverling clown is.

I think they are taking the piss to be honest.

15. sksman71

Im thankful for Ron Pauls message of liberty and waking me up out of my slumber.I voted for him 2012.

16. theoremaxim

Ron Paul was a breath of fresh air in the Bush era, but he so disappointed me when he rolled over instead of broke bad. I'll not pretend to know even closely what's going on, but after several years of research I believe the war on terror isn't even a war on us. It's a war to protect the status quo powers that be in the new age where their cover is blown because of information sharing. Regarding Dr Paul, sadly, I do not trust him. On the up side, his words are better than others words.

17. Aces Bomb

Very true.

18. French Canadian

Now that Ron Paul has left the Congress, he will be able to do even more for your country than before.

He will be completly free to say everything he knows and everything he wants to say. And the establishment will be pulling their hair off their empty heads just listening to him... lol. Boy these idiots don't know yet, but they will regret the day they ignored him as a potential President. He will have more power than a President... he will wake up the whole country and the establishment will loose all of their powers.

No goverments ever enslaved informed citizens. .. it's impossible!

19. MojaveDan

FYI - Cavuto has been a long time Ron Paul supporter and is often confined to a quiet little corner of Fox news because of his support of Ron Paul.

20. swiftcoyote

*looks around* Guys...Ron Paul is gone. We're on our own now. That's why I'm running for State Senate.
    Facebook/ stevenjuccioforassembly

21. Coffeeandasmoke

Thank you Dr. Ron, for having some moral courage, and for helping us to find our own.

22. StopTheMorons

Never forget that it was the institutionalized GOP (and I don't mean the mental hospital kind of institutionalized even though it clearly could apply) that was responsible for cheating us of a Ron Paul Presidency and keeping us stuck in this Obamanation!

23. Tim E

Ron Paul woke me up. He opened my eyes and taught me so much, I am forever thankful. But political action (voting for politicians) will never shrink or reduce the government's power, quite simply because so many people are dependent (both rich and poor) on the state for living. Anarcho-Capitalism is the way forward.

24. thehotsteal

now he says he's the smartest

25. rovoojoy100

Good riddance to Gary Johnson since he intentionally stole the primary away from Bill Still! He got the punishment he deserves by only getting the 1% vote instead of the 5% votes! The American people voted for Ron Paul as a write in candidate instead of that rat bastard!

26. OvergrowDaGovernment

I say boooo to this man interviewing ROn Paul where was he the last 10 years

27. rovoojoy100

Glad Gary Johnson did NOT win at all because he is just another crook that stole the primary away from Bill Still!

28. JohnChenGoogling

He is the American with the American Free Spirit. Despite all the bad press Americans are getting around the world for their empire wars under whatever guises, he is the one shining star.

29. trlckykid

That is one ugly ass tie.

30. makeliberty

I don't trust these presstitutes for one moment. While he's helping their ratings, they love Dr. Paul. When he reaches a point in his career where he could threaten their State-endorsed, boondoggle political machine, they smugly insult him.

31. psycho26shon

Man played pro baseball. You just don't get any more American than that and we passed on his message. Woe to America:(

32. heymisterderp

Ron Paul is the best of the best.

33. heymisterderp

Ron Paul is the best of the best.

34. budee126

Ron Paul woke me up to logic and reason. I was living in ignorance before hearing this man speak. I'd vote for this man even if he was on his death bed. So long as he has a voice he has my vote. Win or lose i hope he runs again at least so his voice is heard by more people that need some waking up. Ron Paul 2016!

35. Kaptain Kanada

Bullshit. Calling us "worshipers" is a definite slander of all lovers of Liberty.