292 Responses

Transcript

Ron Paul: The financial political crisis is a consequence of excessive debt, unfunded liabilities, spending, bailouts and gross discrepancies in wealth distribution going from the middle class to the rich. No good has ever come from granting monopoly power to the state to use aggression against the people to arbitrarily mould human behavior. Such power, when left unchecked, becomes the seed of an ugly tyranny.

Neil Cavuto: Don’t look now, but Paul the Apostle has just wandered into the desert – not the biblical Paul, but the political Paul. But you’d have a very hard time distinguishing between the two, since Ron Paul supporters also have darn-near religious fervor for their unlikely leader. And why not, the former Texas Congressman and presidential candidate single-handedly galvanized a nation to think that libertarianism isn’t a crazy science. In Washington, it’s about basic math: money in, money out. A lot more money is going out than coming in, which is a bad combination. Before anyone, and I have covered everyone, Ron Paul was first [demurring] its disastrous consequences even before that guy, Ross Perot. He joins me now on the phone for his first interview as a former Congressman.

Welcome, sir, it’s very good to have you.

Ron Paul: Thank you, Neil, it’s nice to be with you again.

Neil Cavuto: At the risk of sounding smarmy and disingenuous, Congressman, I think you are among the smartest, sharpest and most [prissy] of public officials I have ever had the honor of speaking to. Now, I know that might not sound as a complement, but it is. And I wonder, with a voice like yours gone, who watches the tail, who watches all the money going out of Washington?

Ron Paul: Well, I think they’ll be many, and if I did any good at all, there should be quite a few.

Neil Cavuto: I had a hard time seeing them, Congressman, for that budget deal, Congressman.

Ron Paul: Well, how often do you see 15 people voting against the Speaker.

Neil Cavuto: Good point, good point.

Ron Paul: We used to say that if we got a 100 spontaneous phone calls in the congressional office, that meant there are about 2000 people who were really thinking about it. So if there’re are a couple of congressmen who are frustrated with the system right now, that means there were a lot more congressmen that just didn’t want to stand up and say so. No, it’s there, and I’ve tried to be the optimistic, but I don’t find that optimism in Washington, and as you have pointed out so often, I get some encouragement from the college campuses. And therefore I’m not a pessimist because I think they’re willing to listen, they’re idealistic and they know what they’re inheriting. So, therefore, I think we can pull out of this, but not with the current crop of politicians in Washington. Attitudes have to change, and that’s what I work on: changing people’s opinion, and I think to some degree I’ve had a little bit of success.

Neil Cavuto: Well, I think you have, Congressman. What I found while covering this last presidential race was that you respected people’s intelligence and the proof was during the primary caucus process. Your comments on each election night were electrifying, only you could get standing cheers and whoops from college kids, and you were talking about the money supply and the Federal Reserve. And I have been trying my entire career to do that, Congressman, and I have the benefit of a prompter, you didn’t. So hope springs eternal that this sticks and this measures and gets people galvanized. Here’s my word though, Congressman, I look at these public opinion polls where people say, “Leave the spending alone, zap the rich, leave my Medicare alone, leave my Medicaid alone, leave my Social Security alone”. Others are saying leave defense alone, just tax the rich. And I’m beginning to wonder whether we’ve gone from a country where supposedly the era of big government was over, to maybe the era of big government is back.

Ron Paul: Well, it never left, I don’t think so. There was talk of it, but I think the attack on the rich, and people have pointed out quite frequently that if you tax the rich and took all their money, it only finances government for a very short period of time. So in my farewell speech I made this point that for so many who advocate taxing the rich, it’s sort of envy. Envy is driven by destroying the people who are successful, not really helping the people. It obviously doesn’t help the people they’re taking the money from, but it doesn’t help the people who are taking the money either. Does it create a more vibrant economy, does it increase our economic activity? No. But too often people are driven by envy and they just can’t stand the success of people making money, but that’s what happens in a free market.

Neil Cavuto: I wish we had more time, but don’t you think we’ve given up the free market itself, that a free market itself is what’s being sacrificed here?

Ron Paul: Oh, I think so, and, of course, I’ve been arguing that that’s been sacrificed a long time ago. I remember getting really criticized by somebody who was criticizing capitalism and how terrible this capitalism was and I came back and said, “But we don’t have capitalism, we don’t have free markets, we have fixed interest rates, we have interventions, we have over-planning, over-spending, and deficits.” That’s not what happens in a free market, a free market is designed quite differently. So I resent the fact that they blame the problems that we have, we’ve just had all these extremists believing in Laissez-faire capitalism, and that’s why we have this mess. They’re wrong on that, and I’m trying to change people’s minds regarding that issue.

Neil Cavuto: Well, keep at it, young man. Ron Paul, I want to thank you, the last time you were here, I had a viewer telling me, “You know, Neil, when he leaves Washington, you should have him be your co-anchor”. I immediately shot and email back saying, “No, I don’t believe in any co-anchor who would make me look bad”. Congressman, thank you very much.

Ron Paul: Well, have me back some day.

Neil Cavuto: I will, I will.

Processing your request, Please wait....

292 responses to “Ron Paul’s First Interview after Leaving Congress: We Don’t Have Capitalism, We Don’t Have Free Markets”

1. 0999080809

Ron Paul your a founding father. People who don't understand have watched to much tv. And they have become sheep

2. TheAnonymouslyTrue

Freemasonry is nothing to fear. Go to a local temple and talk to someone who's part of the mix. You'll find it's not all the internet stuff, but don't take my word for it.

3. TheAnonymouslyTrue

Yep.

4. slayer198450

This kooky senile twat just recently SHAT on his principles! I think he has become too senile now! What do the latest headlines say you ask? "Ron Paul asks the UNITED NATIONS For help to get control of RonPauldotcom website"! HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HAH HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA!

5. SexedUpAtheist

He retired.

6. Ellenlife Oneearth

Use that 1st Amendment right while you have it.

7. noidonotgofish

Sorry if the truth is such a hard thing for you to handle.

8. abcdefghijklmnopqrstuvwxyz

Sorry if the truth is such a hard thing for you to handle.

9. IAMHEWHOAM

Ron Paul is a bucket of vomit poured over a mound of maggot infested roadkill.

10. IAMHEWHOAM

Ron Paul is a cocksuckin' faggot!

11. gf8509

Trade in your soon to be worthless paper for silver and gold. Big Banks are doing it.

12. gf8509

Ron Paul = Thomas Jefferson

13. chris c

The best guy in America

14. Brendan Smith

All you non-interventionists, please sign and share my petition on We The People! Vote this comment up so people can see!

wh(.)gov/VPz4

15. ArmorKingEmir

was he kicked out of the congress or what happened? he is the only American politician who has any sense in him

16. John stewart

if there was,just a few more politicians like him,,the world would be so much better,,can only hope the minions wake-up in time.

17. craig stewart

18. Dusty Mulligan

Wow so much rp hate on here. Troll away people. It is you right to do so.

19. Disappointed

RP let us down.....

20. Phl3xable

When did he sell out? When has he lied?

21. JeremyP694

It's true, I thought Ron Paul was legit but after doing the research (I should have done this before) he is nothing more but a sell out and he's like the rest of the politicians who speak lies. Don't be deceived just because he reveals a few evil things this country is up to means nothing. Ron Paul uses a tactic called selective honesty, where he'll reveal a few small truths all while concealing huge lies.

22. Phl3xable

If you say so.

23. JeremyP694

Ron Paul's father was a Freemason and Dr. Paul has said himself many times that he respects the organization and has been to many of the open meetings in his district. His wife, Carol is a member of the Velasco Order of the Eastern Star and maintains her membership in the Freeport area lodge. Their daughters, Lori and Joy, were both Rainbow girls, another organization associated with Freemasonry. Therefore, Ron Paul is a joke and phony.

24. valban

didn't with shit.....? please, elaborate. if you meant didn't shit than I'd have to say good on you for knowing this information.

25. valban

It's amazing how you cleverly insulted so much you forgot to make a real point.

26. Axiomaticness

You realize your comments show your lack of intelligence right?

27. IAMHEWHOAM

wRONg Paul is a fuckin' asshole! I'd piss in his face and pinch a loaf on his pointed fuckin' head! You want that dipshit to be your President? That fuckin' ludicrous! Marilyn Manson would make a better President than wRONg Paul! What a load of bullshit! He's just a wannabe guru cult leader and you fuckin' Paultards are the laughing stock of the United States!

28. illyas1

lol now Neil Kavuto is waking up to the fact that ron paul was our last hope... fuck you!! what did he do to get ron elected during the primaries. not a god damn thing! *in sam l voice*

29. Priscilla Sieckman

If the founding fathers picked a man to lead the USA today, they would pick this man

30. ThePragueman

The only thing I disagree with, is that capitalism(the way it's resented now) IS A HUGE PROBLEM. It is an ugly form of GREED BASED capitalism. The ugliest kind that is killing the middle class and destroying jobs.

1. Frederic

Greed is good.

31. ThePragueman

Now they are kissing his ass when he's out. lol

32. ThePragueman

we'll see how insane he was, when your out in the streets fighting, for a loaf of bread, when nobody got jobs, and the value of the currency is shit.

33. HighHorns

Dr. Ron Paul will, for many decades to come, remain the very best congressman in this country's history. Yes, I am including our founding fathers.....they did not have to stand alone for the cause of liberty, they all appreciated it and understood it.....Dr. Paul has had to endure this battle alone. He is a very wise and very brave man.

Unfortunately, there is no aptitude test prior to voting.....

34. newyorkfan16

THANK GOD your're NOT IN CONGRESS! GET OUT OF MY COUNTRY YOU FACSIST CUNT!!

35. Graffitinyc1

I'm proud to know that Ron Paul's message has managed to get across the entire country. Millions and millions of people are waking up and understanding that our Federal Government is rotten to the core. Once we have enough decent and educated Americans awake, our struggle will begin and all those who voted for Obama will pay immensely.