Ron Paul Reacts to State of the Union Address

455 Responses

Transcript

John Stossel: If only someone who really believed in limited government, someone who respects the dignity of the individual and individual freedom, if only someone like Ron Paul would run for president. Oh, he’s here via satellite. Dr. Paul, why didn’t you run for president?

Ron Paul: Well, John, that’s interesting, because I had a dream once that I actually did, and I had a dream that I was doing very well, and that I won the primary in Iowa. And, boy, I woke up that next morning, I went out and watched the TV, and my name was never mentioned, so I guess it was all just a dream. But I thought about it, so maybe some day I will.

John Stossel: And hence the point of my joking introduction. You were often ignored by, not this program, but many in the media. But you did get more than two million votes in the Republican primary.

Ron Paul: Yes, I was pretty pleased. Of course, you always want to do better, but I was very encouraged by the number of people, especially the young people that showed up when I went to the universities, because that’s where I have become more optimistic. I have to admit that I did watch some of the State of The Union message, and I didn’t come out of watching that very optimistic, that was rather depressing. But, in going to the college campuses, which I will continue to do, there’s reason to be optimistic. A lot of young people know what you and so many others have been talking about, it’s so different than it was when I first got into politics in 1970. A lot of people now do care about individual liberty and limited government.

John Stossel: And you and a few other congressmen didn’t attend the States of the Union, and I don’t blame you. Some of these guys show up 10 hours early to be at the end of the aisle so they can get their faces on TV. It’s a big suck-up fest.

Ron Paul: It was terrible. I watched a little bit of that tonight, and I keep thinking it’s like a circus, a joyous occasion and they’re rushing in there and getting those seats. And they’ll go in there and occupy a seat, they’ll go very early, hours and hours before. But the jumping up and down, and the ritual that they go through … “Should the Republicans get up on this one, or should they sit on their hands?”, “Oh, this is one where everybody gets up and down”, and it sounds like the world has been saved.

If you were locked in just were on that floor, it would be so distorted. But that’s the way Washington is, it’s so distorted. They live in their own little bubble and they don’t know that there’s anybody like you or anybody in your audience that might have questions about what’s going on in this country. And certainly we didn’t get any answers tonight.

John Stossel: And I know that there’s no requirement that they hold these big celebrations, the constitution just says, “The President, from time to time, shall give Congress information on the state of the union”. Thomas Jefferson wrote his, and that’s what happened for a hundred years. George Washington said 800 words, Obama said several thousand years. That depresses me, I’m going to drop that. You have retired, but are there younger members of Congress now who give you hope?

Ron Paul: Oh, yes, certainly. The numbers aren’t great, but there are 6 to 12 that are going to do a very good job, and that’s a lot more than there have been during the many years that I was there, so that’s very encouraging.

John Stossel: Do you endorse the few, like Representative Justin Amash, Senator Ted Cruz, Thomas Massie, Ted Yoho, Kerry Bentivolio and Steve Stockman?

Ron Paul: Yes, and that’s a real good start. We do need a lot more, but the truth is, after listening to a speech like that, I think we should be convinced that this spending isn’t going to quit before we have a calamity, that’s what I think is going to happen. But that doesn’t mean we shouldn’t stop trying to change people’s minds. But to think that next year and two years from now we’re going to have more members of Congress and we’re finally going to come to our senses and we’re going to vote against some of these largess for all the special interests and we’re going to bring our troops home and they’re going to repeal and restraint the president from assassinating Americans citizens and repeal his so-called right to do that, that’s not going to happen. There’s going to be a serious economic problem and a crisis here where there will be a decision made by the people, mostly the young people right now that are in college and are getting out of college, on what kind of a system we have. We have an outline, it’s been around, it’s called the Constitution, and if we would go in that direction once again, we could solve some of our problems. But it’s not going to be gradual, I think it’s inevitable that we’re going to have this financial crisis, which is going to be very, very serious.

John Stossel: The answer is in the constitution. I happen to have one here and I’m always struck by how thin it is compared to the laws that we now must obey.

Ron Paul: Right.

John Stossel: You were in Congress for 35 years, did anything get better?

Ron Paul: No, it all got worse. The spending always went up, and government got bigger, and there were more wars and more printing of money and more power to the Fed and more central economic planning. But that’s what you see on the surface, in the 1930s, most of the things you saw on the surface was the defense of liberty, and even Roosevelt ran on a balanced budget and a gold standard in 1932. So I think the reverse is the case now, everything on the surface looks like it’s welfarism and warfarism for ever. But I think underneath there is a smoldering desire that is growing by leaps and bounds that’s saying that a lot of people in this country have had enough of it. And I think tonight he talked a lot about gun control, I don’t think the American people are going to put up with that, and I think this awakening is coming, it’s own its way. So I would like to do my share and try and nourish that awakening.

John Stossel: He did talk a lot about gun control, but he never mentioned the word ‘drone’ once.

Ron Paul: That’s the gun we ought to really control. I think the drone missile and our drone warfare, is one of the most dangerous things. When I left Congress, in my speech I listed ‘An attack on civil liberties’ was our most serious threat. But the other thing was the killing of foreigners in foreign countries, like we’re doing in endless countries, by drones. And civilians get killed and Americans get killed and it’s so over the top, and there’s not enough talk about that. And that, to me, …

John Stossel: They do talk about it, but they do say they are keeping us safe: “Kill them there so they don’t kill us here”.

Ron Paul: Yea, that’s what they say, but every time they kill a civilian over there, you probably get ten more that are dedicated to the principles of what the Al-Qaida stands for: keep foreigners out of our land, and punish those who come here to kill us. And the war fever that is built up … I saw a statistic where we’re actually putting putting troops into probably about 35 countries in Africa because we’re competing with China. Now China has earned some money, we buy their stuff, and they’re going over there and investing in natural resources. So we’re investing by buying more weapons and going over there and putting more troops in Africa, and now they say, “Well, we’ve had this victory in Iraq and Afghanistan, so we’re going to move to the Far East and into Africa and conquer those lands as well”. And it’s going to backfire, because we will go bankrupt, and these things will have to stop and there’s going to be a lot of piling on. This is not the way to win friends and influence people by dropping drone missiles on them constantly.

Processing your request, Please wait....

455 responses to “Ron Paul Reacts to State of the Union Address”

1. sfiorare

not only are you an idiot, you’re a nut case

the federal reserve hasn’t ever been bailed out

if you think it has, show me some evidence of it

you probably don’t know how to do that so let me show you how it works

assertion: the federal reserve gives all its net-profits to the government

google: Federal Reserve Sends Record $88.4 Billion Profit To Treasury In 2012 – 03/15/2013

March 15 (Reuters) – The Federal Reserve sent a record $88.4 billion in profits to the U.S. Treasury last year…

2. brianbirc

classic shill statement smell you a mile away
    (you idiot, i’m not sticking up for the fed, i’m sticking up for the truth)
    US DOES NOT PRODUCE GOODS we produce war
    China produces the crap you call goods and india produces services
    MADE IN AMERICA is mostly on things that explode overseas LOL
    you know better and getting a paycheck does not make it cool no matter how many people are doing it it is a scum job do something else and sleep well and have some pride please.

3. brianbirc

classic shill statement smell you a mile away
    (you idiot, i’m not sticking up for the fed, i’m sticking up for the truth)
    US DOES NOT PRODUCE GOODS we produce war
    China produces the crap you call goods and india produces services
    MADE IN AMERICA is mostly on things that explode overseas LOL

4. brianbirc

classic shill statement smell you a mile away
    (you idiot, i’m not sticking up for the fed, i’m sticking up for the truth)
    US DOES NOT PRODUCE GOODS we produce war
    China produces the crap you call goods and india produces services
    MADE IN AMERICA is mostly on things that explode overseas LOL

5. brianbirc

classic shill statement smell you a mile away
    (you idiot, i’m not sticking up for the fed, i’m sticking up for the truth)
    US DOES NOT PRODUCE GOODS we produce war
    China produces the crap you call goods and india produces services
    MADE IN AMERICA is mostly on things that explode overseas LOL

6. brianbirc

they bailed out the fed from the real estate bubble popping not last year. If it was borrowed money they would pay it back. THEY CREATE A PROBLEM WE BAIL THEM OUT They give themselves bonuses They lend money out of thin air. Forty percent of tax dollars pays them interest. BANKSTERS DONT SPENT TIME DEFENDING THE FED SHILL YOU ARE A PAID GET A LIFE

7. sfiorare

you idiot, i’m not sticking up for the fed, i’m sticking up for the truth

the fact is that the united states produces more goods and services than any other country

a bankrupt country couldn’t do that

and again, the fed earned an 88.4 billion net-profit, last year

why would they need to be bailed out or borrow money?

the fed lends money, they don’t borrow it

if you’re going to talk about the fed, take an economics class and stop being so stupid

8. brianbirc

Stupid shill or are you black?
    Ron Paul is most likely the most honest politition to grace this country never flip floping for 30 years.
    Dont confuse him with Obummer

9. brianbirc

what a joke, you have no clue what you’re talking about
    WE ARE THE BANKRUPT ONES FROM PAYING THE FED AND BAILING OUT THE FED AND THE BANKSTERS THEN GIVE THEMSELVES BONUSES. They are criminals from their begining making a false emegency that took us off the gold standard. They continue to rape the country for profit and how much bailout money did thet pay back? Many people lost out with out a bailout. Your pretty stupid skicking up for those bastards

10. sfiorare

only if you like nut case liars

11. sfiorare

what a joke, you have no clue what you’re talking about

the federal reserve earned a 88.4 billion net-profit last year

is that what you think bankruptcy looks like?

the federal reserve system is not owned by anyone and is not a private, profit-making institution, it’s an independent entity within the government, having both public purposes and private aspects

google: FAQs: Fed Basics – Federal Reserve Education

12. brianbirc

that tax could have been part of the bailout 1% would solve a lot of problems I SAY DECLARE BANKRUPT ON THE FED OR CHARGE THEM WITH FRAUD MAKE THE FED FEDERAL

13. Don Jusko

He get my vote

14. Ginger Creager

We love you Dr.Paul!

15. spiceyone66

We love you Dr.Paul!

16. HumanDrillBit

So true! Dr. Paul = VERY likeable!

17. Mythra13

Combine all of that with a WALL STREET sales tax and it sounds like a plan to me! :D

18. brianbirc

I think he would cut some foriegn aid uneeded military bases shut down the industrial war machine audit the fed (I say fine the fed and jail some banksters) Keep us out of WW3 by not supporting assault on Iran. End the war on drugs costing so much. Do somthing about mental health instead of wasting money on gun control. End the spying and right to kill without trial. Stop torture. Stop overseas manufacturing without tariffs bringing jobs back home.Much before taking entitlements from poor,

19. brianbirc

Ron Paul and the Judge would have been the best thing that happened to this country. Obamma’s Hope and Change BS transparent administration. Promise to restore our right to privacy but instead sighn away due process giving himself the license to kill. Running guns to drug cartels and more troops to wars he promised to end immidiatly costing untold needless murder. The bastard has the nerve to use kids to promote his vision of disarming the US citizens. Using media to demonise gun owners. FUBA

20. jgizzy

8:01 “…win friends and influence people by…” Dale Carnegie! Best book ever.

21. AzQtpie22

One of the reasons America is in such trouble, is ignorant, rude & hateful individuals like yourself. I have no clue how you are a Nurse or how you took the Nurse’s Creed/Oath? We are called upon to be compassionate, helpful, respectful, have high integrity & loving. I see none of those qualities in any statement/post you have made on anyone’s channel. Honestly, I feel sorry for you & anyone you come into contact with

22. AzQtpie22 .

23. Qtpie Shanan

24. AzQtpie22

Like I said in my previous post to you…I too am a Nurse. I must say how disgusted I am that as a Nurse & a supposed professional, that you behave in this manor. Attacking a Disabled Veteran & spewing hate & lies. You haven’t got the slightest clue what my husband does & did for this country. He definitely does “Not” have a victim mentality, but it seems as if you are a hateful individual. You troll on other channels & only know how to run your mouth on things you know nothing of. (cont’d)

25. AzQtpie22 .

26. Qtpie Shanan

27. MRFlipy

Such a likable guy, and he speaks the truth. I wish we the people didn’t let them fuck him over, now it’s just us

28. Equilibrio

29. AzQtpie22

I thought I would enlighten you on a few things. Mythra is a newly Disabled Military Intel Veteran who fought for Our country! He is kind,loving,generous & a wonderful father & Friend to many. We both are disabled due to “others” neglegence, so the fact we are on food stamps is not something we aspired to have to do! We have 3 children as well. I’m a former RN & if you think he or I like being disabled or in poverty is beyond insane. Just thought you should know the facts :)

30. AzQtpie22 .

31. Qtpie Shanan

32. Mythra13

You try to provoke with your replies, insinuate that I have bad grammar, then call me a troll? I’m a disabled veteran and you call me a loser? You’re just an insulting little man, clinging to his guns and unproven libertarian ideals.
    For the record, I DO care what happens to the poor, even if I can’t go volunteer at a food bank, like you CLAIM to.

33. Realman Inuniform

Nah, I’m good. I’m an accomplished nurse and a professional within my field. You on the other hand are an internet troll. Like I said until you proactively do something, I don’t won’t to hear your BS on the plight of the poor. Victim mentality 100%. Best of luck to ya… loser

1 11 12 13