Ron Paul Reacts to State of the Union Address

455 Responses

Transcript

John Stossel: If only someone who really believed in limited government, someone who respects the dignity of the individual and individual freedom, if only someone like Ron Paul would run for president. Oh, he’s here via satellite. Dr. Paul, why didn’t you run for president?

Ron Paul: Well, John, that’s interesting, because I had a dream once that I actually did, and I had a dream that I was doing very well, and that I won the primary in Iowa. And, boy, I woke up that next morning, I went out and watched the TV, and my name was never mentioned, so I guess it was all just a dream. But I thought about it, so maybe some day I will.

John Stossel: And hence the point of my joking introduction. You were often ignored by, not this program, but many in the media. But you did get more than two million votes in the Republican primary.

Ron Paul: Yes, I was pretty pleased. Of course, you always want to do better, but I was very encouraged by the number of people, especially the young people that showed up when I went to the universities, because that’s where I have become more optimistic. I have to admit that I did watch some of the State of The Union message, and I didn’t come out of watching that very optimistic, that was rather depressing. But, in going to the college campuses, which I will continue to do, there’s reason to be optimistic. A lot of young people know what you and so many others have been talking about, it’s so different than it was when I first got into politics in 1970. A lot of people now do care about individual liberty and limited government.

John Stossel: And you and a few other congressmen didn’t attend the States of the Union, and I don’t blame you. Some of these guys show up 10 hours early to be at the end of the aisle so they can get their faces on TV. It’s a big suck-up fest.

Ron Paul: It was terrible. I watched a little bit of that tonight, and I keep thinking it’s like a circus, a joyous occasion and they’re rushing in there and getting those seats. And they’ll go in there and occupy a seat, they’ll go very early, hours and hours before. But the jumping up and down, and the ritual that they go through … “Should the Republicans get up on this one, or should they sit on their hands?”, “Oh, this is one where everybody gets up and down”, and it sounds like the world has been saved.

If you were locked in just were on that floor, it would be so distorted. But that’s the way Washington is, it’s so distorted. They live in their own little bubble and they don’t know that there’s anybody like you or anybody in your audience that might have questions about what’s going on in this country. And certainly we didn’t get any answers tonight.

John Stossel: And I know that there’s no requirement that they hold these big celebrations, the constitution just says, “The President, from time to time, shall give Congress information on the state of the union”. Thomas Jefferson wrote his, and that’s what happened for a hundred years. George Washington said 800 words, Obama said several thousand years. That depresses me, I’m going to drop that. You have retired, but are there younger members of Congress now who give you hope?

Ron Paul: Oh, yes, certainly. The numbers aren’t great, but there are 6 to 12 that are going to do a very good job, and that’s a lot more than there have been during the many years that I was there, so that’s very encouraging.

John Stossel: Do you endorse the few, like Representative Justin Amash, Senator Ted Cruz, Thomas Massie, Ted Yoho, Kerry Bentivolio and Steve Stockman?

Ron Paul: Yes, and that’s a real good start. We do need a lot more, but the truth is, after listening to a speech like that, I think we should be convinced that this spending isn’t going to quit before we have a calamity, that’s what I think is going to happen. But that doesn’t mean we shouldn’t stop trying to change people’s minds. But to think that next year and two years from now we’re going to have more members of Congress and we’re finally going to come to our senses and we’re going to vote against some of these largess for all the special interests and we’re going to bring our troops home and they’re going to repeal and restraint the president from assassinating Americans citizens and repeal his so-called right to do that, that’s not going to happen. There’s going to be a serious economic problem and a crisis here where there will be a decision made by the people, mostly the young people right now that are in college and are getting out of college, on what kind of a system we have. We have an outline, it’s been around, it’s called the Constitution, and if we would go in that direction once again, we could solve some of our problems. But it’s not going to be gradual, I think it’s inevitable that we’re going to have this financial crisis, which is going to be very, very serious.

John Stossel: The answer is in the constitution. I happen to have one here and I’m always struck by how thin it is compared to the laws that we now must obey.

Ron Paul: Right.

John Stossel: You were in Congress for 35 years, did anything get better?

Ron Paul: No, it all got worse. The spending always went up, and government got bigger, and there were more wars and more printing of money and more power to the Fed and more central economic planning. But that’s what you see on the surface, in the 1930s, most of the things you saw on the surface was the defense of liberty, and even Roosevelt ran on a balanced budget and a gold standard in 1932. So I think the reverse is the case now, everything on the surface looks like it’s welfarism and warfarism for ever. But I think underneath there is a smoldering desire that is growing by leaps and bounds that’s saying that a lot of people in this country have had enough of it. And I think tonight he talked a lot about gun control, I don’t think the American people are going to put up with that, and I think this awakening is coming, it’s own its way. So I would like to do my share and try and nourish that awakening.

John Stossel: He did talk a lot about gun control, but he never mentioned the word ‘drone’ once.

Ron Paul: That’s the gun we ought to really control. I think the drone missile and our drone warfare, is one of the most dangerous things. When I left Congress, in my speech I listed ‘An attack on civil liberties’ was our most serious threat. But the other thing was the killing of foreigners in foreign countries, like we’re doing in endless countries, by drones. And civilians get killed and Americans get killed and it’s so over the top, and there’s not enough talk about that. And that, to me, …

John Stossel: They do talk about it, but they do say they are keeping us safe: “Kill them there so they don’t kill us here”.

Ron Paul: Yea, that’s what they say, but every time they kill a civilian over there, you probably get ten more that are dedicated to the principles of what the Al-Qaida stands for: keep foreigners out of our land, and punish those who come here to kill us. And the war fever that is built up … I saw a statistic where we’re actually putting putting troops into probably about 35 countries in Africa because we’re competing with China. Now China has earned some money, we buy their stuff, and they’re going over there and investing in natural resources. So we’re investing by buying more weapons and going over there and putting more troops in Africa, and now they say, “Well, we’ve had this victory in Iraq and Afghanistan, so we’re going to move to the Far East and into Africa and conquer those lands as well”. And it’s going to backfire, because we will go bankrupt, and these things will have to stop and there’s going to be a lot of piling on. This is not the way to win friends and influence people by dropping drone missiles on them constantly.

Processing your request, Please wait....

455 responses to “Ron Paul Reacts to State of the Union Address”

1. aguafinatv

Reparations should be for Native American including the what we call the Latinos they are the ORIGINAL inhabitants of the Land we know as America. Everyone else are just foreigners. Blacks belong in Africant and Anglos are from Europe.

2. Ihateregistrations1

You are obviously ill-informed and scarcely educated. Think as you will. Others will pick up where your stupidity has slogged you down.

3. Atoms Molecules

No Scientist has ever claimed that eh, you sure about that you fucking retarded pile of shit? LOL You RonBots are fucking stupider than a fly turd!

4. Terra Rising

I can't speak for other Paul supporters, it would depend on what Rand Paul stands for and his actual voting record in congress

5. Silver Mune

You need to go and look up gravity and evolution and read up on them. No scientist or physicist will claim either one of them as being a fact. But keep believing what you will, I do not care. You are, after all, an idiot.

6. Atoms Molecules

You keep up with Physics, yet you just said that the Laws of Gravity are a Theory? ROTFL ROTFL! I've heard some retarded shit in my time, but this one qualifies as beyond retardation! ROTFL! Also, Evolution is a fact, not a theory you effing retarded pile of monkey turds!

7. Paul Von

When I see the quality of debate and behavior as depicted in these comments, I can only hope mankind becomes completely sterile soon. Most of you are mentally deranged, ignorant, and abusive of this forum. I do not wish you luck.

8. Silver Mune

And BTW, I have yet to mention Ron Paul in my comments to you. I was pointing out that evolution is a theory. Really, you are going to be very embarrassed once you find out that you are a clueless little shitpile who has been posting a bunch of ignorant and uneducated comments about subjects you know nothing about.You are actually talking with someone who keeps up with science... well mostly physics.

9. Silver Mune

In fact, you should perhaps research the definition of theory so you may gain some idea of what you are talking about.

10. Silver Mune

Fuck you

11. Silver Mune

Why don't you go and pick up the latest physics text and read through it and perhaps you'll learn something. You really think your smart, but you really have no idea what the hell you are talking about. Yes, Sir Isaac Newton's Laws of Gravity ARE THEORIES.

12. DartmouthAlum96

Ron Paul is a turkey!

He thinks we should use the Constitution as an outline for running the nation? What a joke! The Constitution is just an old piece of paper with the signatures of some dead white racist males on it.

The only mission of the U.S. should be to encourage diversity and provide reparations to womyn, African-Americans, and Latino-Americans who have been historically oppressed by white men.

The American people agree with me! Obama needs to be made President for Life!

13. Atoms Molecules

Really? So since gravity is just a theory, hows about you find the tallest building and jump off of it? Hey you'll be fine, after all, Gravity is not a fact its a theory right!? LOL You RonBots are the biggest bunch of tards I have ever come across! You idiots defend wRong Paul like he is some kind of messiah! Pull your heads out of his ass!

14. Silver Mune

Um, dumb fuck, evolution is a theory. So are the Laws of Gravity. So are the laws of Thermodynamics. So too is General and Special relativity. However, everything you have been spewing is hypothesis... correction absolute bullshit.

15. Silver Mune

The dumb ass is talking about your grammer. When they have no other tool to use, they resort to pointing out errors in our grammer. They never once consider that you might be writing in a second language.

The proper grammer would be, "What an idiot"

16. Silver Mune

I have yet to meet a liberal who isn't a poster child for the insane. They are so dumbed down that they actually believe the made up stories that they themselves conjure up.

17. James Paul Shelburn

Time to convert to a Parliament type of president. One party with 25% of the vote does not represent 51% of abstained majority. Duopoly is not a numerical majority. No single person should have the power to make policy for 70%+ of people that didn't vote for the elected offal.

18. Patriot150792

So my conclusion is, most Ron Paul supporters would NOT vote for Rand Paul.

19. Michael Kelley

Ron Paul should come back to the University of South Florida in Tampa! He had a great speech. Would love to hear him speak again down here in Florida!

20. Terra Rising

Israel can support themselves. I am sorry but all foreign aid needs to stop until all the problems here in America is cleaned up. What good is it if the rest of the world moves forward while the USA as a nation moves backward?

21. LeonWevans

Where is the second part"?

22. cirisimo

ohhh.... u brainwashed people please open your eyes and listen what stands beyond... i am worried whats gonna happen in Europe and the whole world when people gonna realize whats going on in america same in UK same everywhere one world government is that our future ???? doesn't really want to watch tv anymore cos everything u go across is biggest crime to the world :( :( :(

23. IceDragon978

Are you insane?

24. Minuteman1969

Guys, I cant say for sure but trolls like Atoms Molecules are probably government agents using that information warfare identity-management software, R.I.O.T. - The globalists and their minions are scared of the liberty movement and the people who lead it! They are scared of the well-led constitutional militias out there like the Indiana Militia Corps, they are scared of what the people will do to them when we take back America (...Nuremberg Rules apply)!! Just take names, etc for later!!

25. Atoms Molecules

Oh great another Fema reject! Religion has never affected how politicians vote right? Damn you RonBots are stupid beyond belief!

26. kylescotternest

so ron paul is a unelectable becasue of his religioius beleifes now whos an idiot. you must be a republican or democrat. spoiler alert their the same system. enjoy fema

27. Patriot150792

What's wrong about supporting Israel? They're our closest ally.

1. Oscar Yeager

They're are closest ally huh? Ally is not the word that comes to mind when I think of Israel. Tell me what we get for our never ending support of Israel? We give them multiple billions a year, weapons, food, soldiers... And all we get in return are our best and brightest coming home in body bags from constantly warring with Israel's enemies. I hate to use the old addage of brainwash but it perfectly applies here, we are completely brainwashed by the Israeli agenda.

28. da324

What the fuck does being a creationist have to do with being a politician? What matters is upholding an oath to defend the Constitution, nothing else. How old are you 12? Aren't you capable of having a discussion without calling people names?

29. Atoms Molecules

Nope, The Creationist Dr Paul is very irrelevant now! He now retired to a life where when he needs something he asks the UN for help, something being, him gaining control of Ronpauldotcom! HA HA HA HA

30. mykehauwke

Still afraid of Dr Paul?

31. Atoms Molecules

I like how the cumm drinking RonBots defend wRong Paul the faggot on everything! I remember once I told a retarded RonBot with the brain of an Amoeba that wRong Paul is a joke because he is a creationist! The RonBot tried defending his messiah on the idea that Evolution is not a fact but a theory! HA HA HA HA HA I had fun replying to that one, WHAT A DUMB SHIT! FUCK WRONG PAUL THE CREATIONIST RETARD!

32. Atoms Molecules

Stop sucking wRong Paul's dick and take your head out of his ass!Ronnie the Senile twat claims that we should follow the Constitution, yet the retarded old fart wants to allow retards like Rick Perry to dictate what couples should do with their unwanted fetuses! He wants to ban federal courts from hearing cases on the matter, gee I wonder if Rick Perry will respect the couple's privacy in terms of abortions? Hence doing away with the privacy clause in the 4th amendment you cumm guzzling retard!!

33. Atoms Molecules

I like how you simply pull out of your loose and crusty ass hole the assumptions that I watch Fox News and Msnbc! And I also like how you simply flapped your gums and allowed all of the excrement to exit your pie hole without providing any facts of your own! Typical RonBot! Now go ask that whore you call mommy why she didn't swallow her brother's load, if she would have, you wouldn't have been born you fucking retarded waste of oxygen!!

34. james boykin

no he is nothing like his father he signed the ndaa making it legal to kill american citizens and he is a supporter of israel

35. james boykin

you are a very misinformed idiot stop watching fox and msnbc you have been brainwashed and have no facts to base your opinion on