Ron Paul Reacts to State of the Union Address

455 Responses

Transcript

John Stossel: If only someone who really believed in limited government, someone who respects the dignity of the individual and individual freedom, if only someone like Ron Paul would run for president. Oh, he’s here via satellite. Dr. Paul, why didn’t you run for president?

Ron Paul: Well, John, that’s interesting, because I had a dream once that I actually did, and I had a dream that I was doing very well, and that I won the primary in Iowa. And, boy, I woke up that next morning, I went out and watched the TV, and my name was never mentioned, so I guess it was all just a dream. But I thought about it, so maybe some day I will.

John Stossel: And hence the point of my joking introduction. You were often ignored by, not this program, but many in the media. But you did get more than two million votes in the Republican primary.

Ron Paul: Yes, I was pretty pleased. Of course, you always want to do better, but I was very encouraged by the number of people, especially the young people that showed up when I went to the universities, because that’s where I have become more optimistic. I have to admit that I did watch some of the State of The Union message, and I didn’t come out of watching that very optimistic, that was rather depressing. But, in going to the college campuses, which I will continue to do, there’s reason to be optimistic. A lot of young people know what you and so many others have been talking about, it’s so different than it was when I first got into politics in 1970. A lot of people now do care about individual liberty and limited government.

John Stossel: And you and a few other congressmen didn’t attend the States of the Union, and I don’t blame you. Some of these guys show up 10 hours early to be at the end of the aisle so they can get their faces on TV. It’s a big suck-up fest.

Ron Paul: It was terrible. I watched a little bit of that tonight, and I keep thinking it’s like a circus, a joyous occasion and they’re rushing in there and getting those seats. And they’ll go in there and occupy a seat, they’ll go very early, hours and hours before. But the jumping up and down, and the ritual that they go through … “Should the Republicans get up on this one, or should they sit on their hands?”, “Oh, this is one where everybody gets up and down”, and it sounds like the world has been saved.

If you were locked in just were on that floor, it would be so distorted. But that’s the way Washington is, it’s so distorted. They live in their own little bubble and they don’t know that there’s anybody like you or anybody in your audience that might have questions about what’s going on in this country. And certainly we didn’t get any answers tonight.

John Stossel: And I know that there’s no requirement that they hold these big celebrations, the constitution just says, “The President, from time to time, shall give Congress information on the state of the union”. Thomas Jefferson wrote his, and that’s what happened for a hundred years. George Washington said 800 words, Obama said several thousand years. That depresses me, I’m going to drop that. You have retired, but are there younger members of Congress now who give you hope?

Ron Paul: Oh, yes, certainly. The numbers aren’t great, but there are 6 to 12 that are going to do a very good job, and that’s a lot more than there have been during the many years that I was there, so that’s very encouraging.

John Stossel: Do you endorse the few, like Representative Justin Amash, Senator Ted Cruz, Thomas Massie, Ted Yoho, Kerry Bentivolio and Steve Stockman?

Ron Paul: Yes, and that’s a real good start. We do need a lot more, but the truth is, after listening to a speech like that, I think we should be convinced that this spending isn’t going to quit before we have a calamity, that’s what I think is going to happen. But that doesn’t mean we shouldn’t stop trying to change people’s minds. But to think that next year and two years from now we’re going to have more members of Congress and we’re finally going to come to our senses and we’re going to vote against some of these largess for all the special interests and we’re going to bring our troops home and they’re going to repeal and restraint the president from assassinating Americans citizens and repeal his so-called right to do that, that’s not going to happen. There’s going to be a serious economic problem and a crisis here where there will be a decision made by the people, mostly the young people right now that are in college and are getting out of college, on what kind of a system we have. We have an outline, it’s been around, it’s called the Constitution, and if we would go in that direction once again, we could solve some of our problems. But it’s not going to be gradual, I think it’s inevitable that we’re going to have this financial crisis, which is going to be very, very serious.

John Stossel: The answer is in the constitution. I happen to have one here and I’m always struck by how thin it is compared to the laws that we now must obey.

Ron Paul: Right.

John Stossel: You were in Congress for 35 years, did anything get better?

Ron Paul: No, it all got worse. The spending always went up, and government got bigger, and there were more wars and more printing of money and more power to the Fed and more central economic planning. But that’s what you see on the surface, in the 1930s, most of the things you saw on the surface was the defense of liberty, and even Roosevelt ran on a balanced budget and a gold standard in 1932. So I think the reverse is the case now, everything on the surface looks like it’s welfarism and warfarism for ever. But I think underneath there is a smoldering desire that is growing by leaps and bounds that’s saying that a lot of people in this country have had enough of it. And I think tonight he talked a lot about gun control, I don’t think the American people are going to put up with that, and I think this awakening is coming, it’s own its way. So I would like to do my share and try and nourish that awakening.

John Stossel: He did talk a lot about gun control, but he never mentioned the word ‘drone’ once.

Ron Paul: That’s the gun we ought to really control. I think the drone missile and our drone warfare, is one of the most dangerous things. When I left Congress, in my speech I listed ‘An attack on civil liberties’ was our most serious threat. But the other thing was the killing of foreigners in foreign countries, like we’re doing in endless countries, by drones. And civilians get killed and Americans get killed and it’s so over the top, and there’s not enough talk about that. And that, to me, …

John Stossel: They do talk about it, but they do say they are keeping us safe: “Kill them there so they don’t kill us here”.

Ron Paul: Yea, that’s what they say, but every time they kill a civilian over there, you probably get ten more that are dedicated to the principles of what the Al-Qaida stands for: keep foreigners out of our land, and punish those who come here to kill us. And the war fever that is built up … I saw a statistic where we’re actually putting putting troops into probably about 35 countries in Africa because we’re competing with China. Now China has earned some money, we buy their stuff, and they’re going over there and investing in natural resources. So we’re investing by buying more weapons and going over there and putting more troops in Africa, and now they say, “Well, we’ve had this victory in Iraq and Afghanistan, so we’re going to move to the Far East and into Africa and conquer those lands as well”. And it’s going to backfire, because we will go bankrupt, and these things will have to stop and there’s going to be a lot of piling on. This is not the way to win friends and influence people by dropping drone missiles on them constantly.

Processing your request, Please wait....

455 responses to “Ron Paul Reacts to State of the Union Address”

1. Mythra13

Yes I did, and thank you for writing that.

2. MrLibertarian94

I’ll look him up. Btw, if you served in the military (judging by your pro pic) thanks for your service

3. Mythra13

Government is corrupt, most institutions are. I really don’t have high expectations for it to change. However, as far as my political or economic outlook goes, I like the ideas of Webster Tarpley.

4. MrLibertarian94

Ron Paul also believes that forcing your morality on someone else through legislation does not make you a good person, He believes individuals should promote compassion for the poor through action.

5. MrLibertarian94

Plus, Ron Paul believes that welfare spending should be done by the states and not the federal government.

6. MrLibertarian94

That doesn’t sound like a bad idea except for the fact that we already have a capital gains tax. The sales tax you propose would just be the taxation of the transfer of stocks, bonds, and other securities. I’m not going to criticize the idea because it actually sounds like a good one, but Wall St does pay taxes. Also, you need to understand RP’s position. He believes the government should not do more than instructed in the constitution. He believes in free and voluntary association.

7. Mythra13

Ron Paul proposed $1T in specific budget cuts, Medicaid, the Children’s Health Insurance Program, food stamps, family support programs and the children’s nutrition program would be block-granted to the states and removed from the MANDATORY spending column of the federal budget. Is the answer to the budget shortfall really about freeing up money that goes to those in need?

How about a WALL STREET sales tax?!?!!
    Let the ones who got us in this mess pay to get us out!!!

8. MrLibertarian94

That’s not true. Dr. Paul’s immediate concern was to balance the budget, entitlement programs weren’t even on the list of depts or programs he would cut. Plus, I do had sympathy for those who are unfortunate and live on food stamps. The fact of the matter is that the US is one of the most charitable nations in the world and I’m sure there is a free market and voluntary solution for aid to the poor and unfortunate.

9. AzQtpie22

I thought I would enlighten you on a few things. Mythra is a newly Disabled Military Intel Veteran who fought for Our country! He is kind,loving,generous & a wonderful father. We both are disabled due to “others” neglegence, so the fact we are on food stamps is not something we aspired to have to do. We have 3 children as well. I’m a former RN & if you think he or I like being disabled or in poverty is beyond insane. Just thought you should know the facts :)

10. Mythra13

Face it, you’re unhappy with your life, you’ve nobody to blame but yourself. You won’t provoke me with your foolish words. I did need a laugh this morning, so thanks for that.

11. Realman Inuniform

Your name is appropriate – “Mythra13″, since you so ignorantly spew myths like: “We could’ve gotten straight to starving out Americans who rely on food stamps”. Which just so happens to not only be factually incorrect, but grammatically as well. It’s people like you that really disgust me. You act like if it weren’t for government force people would die in the streets. Strange I never see any of you volunteering at the food bank with me… Guess you’re only charitable with other peoples money…

12. william sewell

It’s painful to listen to how correct he is, yet nobody got in while he was running.

13. Sept11Discovery

If you really want to fight the Criminal Federal Reserve…then you have to cheer and show support for Iran, North Korea and Cuba in any USA war aganist them…..because what do you really think the USA wants….they want Control of these Countries…..

Either Support North Korea and Iran…or Support the Criminal USA Federal Reserve…..which is not Federal it is private….you cant have one foot on both sides of the fence america….

14. bizzwoofer

you don’t think Obama has been breaking constitutionality? You’re wild!

15. ElectricTN

We are trying to impeach him btw! He is a communist and never EVER should of been allowed to be in office. His entire life is a secret, all records sealed, he appeared out of thin air.. My vote is IMPEACH!

16. ElectricTN

What ever man. I have wasted enough time on this subject. Think what you will.

17. adri Bam

I’m sorry but you still don’t seem to understand how foolish you sound. If Obama and Romney were having a political debate and Romney ended his argument with “and Obama, you’re a idiot!” then do you know how ridiculous it would loo?. Typos, a lack of grammar and randomly spewing that Obama is breaking constitutional laws (he’d be impeached if he was) isn’t the right way to argue against the guy. I’m a conservative too, but there are right proper ways to argue, and then there’s petty name calling

18. Mythra13

We could’ve gotten straight to starving out Americans who rely on food stamps, if only Ron Paul had gotten elected. Now we need to wait for President Obama to get people with the death of a thousand cuts. I suppose the republicans could still hurry things up and continue the defense of those poor super wealthy global elitists. (sarcasm intended)

19. ElectricTN

I feel much better now mate.. No such thing as a Idiot? “An idiot, dolt, or dullard is a mentally deficient person, or someone who acts in a self-defeating or significantly counterproductive way, an utterly foolish or senseless person.” Yea mate, you fit the bill. How is that for justification? Facts validate my point, not opinions , nor a grammar Nazi nitpick pointing out redundant grammar flaws “known as typos”. Where are your facts? Have none? Another Obama twat! Go figure.

20. adri Bam

I’m perfectly justified in criticizing your choice of word. Not to be a grammar Nazi here, but there is no such thing as “a idiot.” Calling someone an idiot in no way validates your argument. And I’m not the “other idiots” friend either. There are better ways to get your point across than name calling, mate. I respect your opinion, but please learn proper spelling if you wish to start a political debate over Youtube.

21. kommisar

Was this the whole thing? It seems to cut off at the end.

22. NoName NoFame

obviously the real racist is you

23. blotto85

Your mom was late for her abortion. Put a plastic bag over your head and take a nap

24. NightSailor

Obama had one of the longest State of the Union speeches. George Washington had the shortest State of the Union. Of course he never told a lie.

25. Robert S

You are an imbecile.

26. JoeyL4321

The truth is in the people, all the people in the world. Our governments hold falsehood, and they spread lies that some truthful people end up believing. Ron Paul supporters are awakened and truthful all across the board.

27. vipero00

Ahhh… much better.

28. realhiphop087

Looks like the election pulled some dirty tricks to cheat out Ron Paul.

29. Eugene Park

COME TO CAL POLY SLO

30. Eugene Park

COME TO CAL POLY SLO

31. brmillgr

You literally did what you chastised me for in my prior post. Ok lets see, NDAA and The (un) Patriot act violate amendments 4, 5, 6, 9 and 10.

32. Avery Williams

Time for World Equality!

33. mikee758

Excuse the Presidential PUN but things in America arnt just getting worse they are getting darn right DARK.

34. Silver Mune

Now that is a fact and not a theory.

35. Silver Mune

So your saying that we no longer call the Theory of Gravity the Theory of Gravity? I am a machinist and I use theories to cut metal every day. They work, but they do not work under all conditions. Some people have never ran into similar issues as I and they have machined for way longer than I have. Some have ran into theoritical issues I have yet to encounter, and may never encounter in my lifetime. A fact will be fact when ALL observations are met under EVERY condition.