Ron Paul Reacts to State of the Union Address

455 Responses

Transcript

John Stossel: If only someone who really believed in limited government, someone who respects the dignity of the individual and individual freedom, if only someone like Ron Paul would run for president. Oh, he’s here via satellite. Dr. Paul, why didn’t you run for president?

Ron Paul: Well, John, that’s interesting, because I had a dream once that I actually did, and I had a dream that I was doing very well, and that I won the primary in Iowa. And, boy, I woke up that next morning, I went out and watched the TV, and my name was never mentioned, so I guess it was all just a dream. But I thought about it, so maybe some day I will.

John Stossel: And hence the point of my joking introduction. You were often ignored by, not this program, but many in the media. But you did get more than two million votes in the Republican primary.

Ron Paul: Yes, I was pretty pleased. Of course, you always want to do better, but I was very encouraged by the number of people, especially the young people that showed up when I went to the universities, because that’s where I have become more optimistic. I have to admit that I did watch some of the State of The Union message, and I didn’t come out of watching that very optimistic, that was rather depressing. But, in going to the college campuses, which I will continue to do, there’s reason to be optimistic. A lot of young people know what you and so many others have been talking about, it’s so different than it was when I first got into politics in 1970. A lot of people now do care about individual liberty and limited government.

John Stossel: And you and a few other congressmen didn’t attend the States of the Union, and I don’t blame you. Some of these guys show up 10 hours early to be at the end of the aisle so they can get their faces on TV. It’s a big suck-up fest.

Ron Paul: It was terrible. I watched a little bit of that tonight, and I keep thinking it’s like a circus, a joyous occasion and they’re rushing in there and getting those seats. And they’ll go in there and occupy a seat, they’ll go very early, hours and hours before. But the jumping up and down, and the ritual that they go through … “Should the Republicans get up on this one, or should they sit on their hands?”, “Oh, this is one where everybody gets up and down”, and it sounds like the world has been saved.

If you were locked in just were on that floor, it would be so distorted. But that’s the way Washington is, it’s so distorted. They live in their own little bubble and they don’t know that there’s anybody like you or anybody in your audience that might have questions about what’s going on in this country. And certainly we didn’t get any answers tonight.

John Stossel: And I know that there’s no requirement that they hold these big celebrations, the constitution just says, “The President, from time to time, shall give Congress information on the state of the union”. Thomas Jefferson wrote his, and that’s what happened for a hundred years. George Washington said 800 words, Obama said several thousand years. That depresses me, I’m going to drop that. You have retired, but are there younger members of Congress now who give you hope?

Ron Paul: Oh, yes, certainly. The numbers aren’t great, but there are 6 to 12 that are going to do a very good job, and that’s a lot more than there have been during the many years that I was there, so that’s very encouraging.

John Stossel: Do you endorse the few, like Representative Justin Amash, Senator Ted Cruz, Thomas Massie, Ted Yoho, Kerry Bentivolio and Steve Stockman?

Ron Paul: Yes, and that’s a real good start. We do need a lot more, but the truth is, after listening to a speech like that, I think we should be convinced that this spending isn’t going to quit before we have a calamity, that’s what I think is going to happen. But that doesn’t mean we shouldn’t stop trying to change people’s minds. But to think that next year and two years from now we’re going to have more members of Congress and we’re finally going to come to our senses and we’re going to vote against some of these largess for all the special interests and we’re going to bring our troops home and they’re going to repeal and restraint the president from assassinating Americans citizens and repeal his so-called right to do that, that’s not going to happen. There’s going to be a serious economic problem and a crisis here where there will be a decision made by the people, mostly the young people right now that are in college and are getting out of college, on what kind of a system we have. We have an outline, it’s been around, it’s called the Constitution, and if we would go in that direction once again, we could solve some of our problems. But it’s not going to be gradual, I think it’s inevitable that we’re going to have this financial crisis, which is going to be very, very serious.

John Stossel: The answer is in the constitution. I happen to have one here and I’m always struck by how thin it is compared to the laws that we now must obey.

Ron Paul: Right.

John Stossel: You were in Congress for 35 years, did anything get better?

Ron Paul: No, it all got worse. The spending always went up, and government got bigger, and there were more wars and more printing of money and more power to the Fed and more central economic planning. But that’s what you see on the surface, in the 1930s, most of the things you saw on the surface was the defense of liberty, and even Roosevelt ran on a balanced budget and a gold standard in 1932. So I think the reverse is the case now, everything on the surface looks like it’s welfarism and warfarism for ever. But I think underneath there is a smoldering desire that is growing by leaps and bounds that’s saying that a lot of people in this country have had enough of it. And I think tonight he talked a lot about gun control, I don’t think the American people are going to put up with that, and I think this awakening is coming, it’s own its way. So I would like to do my share and try and nourish that awakening.

John Stossel: He did talk a lot about gun control, but he never mentioned the word ‘drone’ once.

Ron Paul: That’s the gun we ought to really control. I think the drone missile and our drone warfare, is one of the most dangerous things. When I left Congress, in my speech I listed ‘An attack on civil liberties’ was our most serious threat. But the other thing was the killing of foreigners in foreign countries, like we’re doing in endless countries, by drones. And civilians get killed and Americans get killed and it’s so over the top, and there’s not enough talk about that. And that, to me, …

John Stossel: They do talk about it, but they do say they are keeping us safe: “Kill them there so they don’t kill us here”.

Ron Paul: Yea, that’s what they say, but every time they kill a civilian over there, you probably get ten more that are dedicated to the principles of what the Al-Qaida stands for: keep foreigners out of our land, and punish those who come here to kill us. And the war fever that is built up … I saw a statistic where we’re actually putting putting troops into probably about 35 countries in Africa because we’re competing with China. Now China has earned some money, we buy their stuff, and they’re going over there and investing in natural resources. So we’re investing by buying more weapons and going over there and putting more troops in Africa, and now they say, “Well, we’ve had this victory in Iraq and Afghanistan, so we’re going to move to the Far East and into Africa and conquer those lands as well”. And it’s going to backfire, because we will go bankrupt, and these things will have to stop and there’s going to be a lot of piling on. This is not the way to win friends and influence people by dropping drone missiles on them constantly.

Processing your request, Please wait....

455 responses to “Ron Paul Reacts to State of the Union Address”

1. Vote4RandPaul2016

Ron Paul ran as a Republican and Sen. Rand Paul is a Republican! And, the letter you're talking about was never written by Congressman Ron Paul it was writeen by a staff member!

2. aguafinatv

You sound like a pussy!!!

3. aguafinatv

WTF is your goal with your corny comment. Libertarian is the movement. Please don't make ridiculous comments. Because your trying to sound smart.

4. aguafinatv

FUCK O'Bummer, Dumbney and Clinton.

5. aguafinatv

Dr. "SIR" Ron Paul is still my PRESIDENT.

6. Platewarp

Ron Paul is the best! Have you guys seen the RT video about the CIA trolls that go around to online forums lying and supporting government viewpoints?

7. getagriponreality64

I'm not for Obama. Don't assume so quickly.

8. getagriponreality64

Alright, I will drop it

9. DimitriEnerjak

Curious... who is your first?

A man who's already killed 3,500 innocent people in unlawful drone strikes (documented - don't even need to take my word for it), systematically destroyed every constitutionally protected freedom afforded by our founding Bill of Rights (no more trial by jury, no more haebus corpus, no more free speech, no more privacy, no more right to bear arms, etc), bombing multiple countries we're not even at war with...

...or someone who wants to leave you alone?

10. JPMaynes

Ron Paul is the biggest supporter of individual liberty. If he supports individual freedom, how could he be racist? Do some research yourself and stop expecting everyone to just hand you the answer.

11. PrudenceWright

google "Ron Paul: The Weakening of the US Constitution" It's on fora.tv

click on part 17 "Q6: Denying Racism"

12. getagriponreality64

If someone can prove me wrong this racist part about Ron Paul is false then prove me wrong with an actual source and I will shut up. I just heard about his racism very recently.

13. getagriponreality64

If he said sorry about it then I would just forgive and forget.

14. getagriponreality64

Hey you are right he would fix a lot of things but I don't like racists bro. I'm sick of all racism.

15. getagriponreality64

It will only come to that when it comes down to point where I have no choice but as long as I have a choice. He isn't the first.

16. getagriponreality64

I'm not anti libertarian and you can do several Google searches on his racist letters.... so i'm not making up anything.

17. Vote4RandPaul2016

You need to fact check your "racist" comment because it's not true! I hope you will join us in getting Sen. Rand Paul elected in 2016! If not, read about the NDAA, CISPA, FISA, AIPAC, Federal Reserve, US Foreign Aid, Executive Orders, and the list goes on and on, but check out at least one of the above-mentioned. Have a wonderful day! :)

18. NoName NoFame

(contd) i would much rather a president who makes politically incorrect comments from time to time but works to empty the prison of non-violent " criminals"
    then a truly scarey president who make NO POLITICALLY INCORRECT STATEMENTs at all times, but works to fill our prisons so that america imprisons more of its citizens than Russia or China. Human Rights Violations ARE actually important issues.
    Political correctness is what keeps disingenuous politicians with smooth snake tongue in power!

19. getagriponreality64

So you trust a dirtbag nice. There's a reason why libertarians gets bad rep and this is one of them

20. NoName NoFame

the letters where he talks about the rationale of fearing black men about 20 years ago because they can run fast after they snatch your purse??

oh yes it was probably not " politically correct" in this politically sensitive climate - but seriously are you saying that him having said that outweighs the clowns in washington handing out trillions of tax dollars to their crony friends and bankrupting the country and killing the middle class???

your priorities are so screwed up - i'm speechless

21. Vote4RandPaul2016

Well, thank you! I worked very hard on Ron Paul's shot at the White House, but now I'm working even harder to get Sen. Rand Paul elected! We're all in this together...it's our country and we must get it out of the hands ov evil men!

22. berizzle

In a country that is collapsing as a carbon copy of Rome we are supporting those killing children all around the world because the other person who says that we should not kill children may or may not be racist? SMH

23. krismcc94

Hey get a get grip on reality like your name says

24. getagriponreality64

I'm talking about his racist letters.....

25. TheWilderwun

Ron Paul has changed my life forever!!

26. pdc2878

Only in America someone who wants to pardon African Americans from prison arrested for non violent crimes so they can be with their families and lead a normal life are called "racist". How is Obama helping minorities? Or African Americans for that matter?

27. getagriponreality64

And a racist, so no.

28. Jessablanca

I've missed the good doctor. I can't wait to tune into "Ron Paul's America" radio commentary/ podcasts on March 18th! He is an inspiration.

29. 1GodOnlyOne

Mine too!

30. mistisblu

As long as there are rothschilds rockefellers warburgs royal family and soros family members alive there will be war and corruption. They are the spawn of satan. The only way this entire world will live free again will be after Jesus makes his return fights satan and wins. I do believe the secound tribulations has started. The pope has resigned and St. Peters was hit with a bolt of lighting. May God Bless the souls who are saved and may God have mercy on those who are not. God Bless everyone.

31. Jason Moatz

If only we could have had Ron Paul in his 2nd term right now instead of Obama... just imagine the country we could have.

Rand Paul 2016!