Ron Paul Reacts to State of the Union Address

455 Responses

Transcript

John Stossel: If only someone who really believed in limited government, someone who respects the dignity of the individual and individual freedom, if only someone like Ron Paul would run for president. Oh, he’s here via satellite. Dr. Paul, why didn’t you run for president?

Ron Paul: Well, John, that’s interesting, because I had a dream once that I actually did, and I had a dream that I was doing very well, and that I won the primary in Iowa. And, boy, I woke up that next morning, I went out and watched the TV, and my name was never mentioned, so I guess it was all just a dream. But I thought about it, so maybe some day I will.

John Stossel: And hence the point of my joking introduction. You were often ignored by, not this program, but many in the media. But you did get more than two million votes in the Republican primary.

Ron Paul: Yes, I was pretty pleased. Of course, you always want to do better, but I was very encouraged by the number of people, especially the young people that showed up when I went to the universities, because that’s where I have become more optimistic. I have to admit that I did watch some of the State of The Union message, and I didn’t come out of watching that very optimistic, that was rather depressing. But, in going to the college campuses, which I will continue to do, there’s reason to be optimistic. A lot of young people know what you and so many others have been talking about, it’s so different than it was when I first got into politics in 1970. A lot of people now do care about individual liberty and limited government.

John Stossel: And you and a few other congressmen didn’t attend the States of the Union, and I don’t blame you. Some of these guys show up 10 hours early to be at the end of the aisle so they can get their faces on TV. It’s a big suck-up fest.

Ron Paul: It was terrible. I watched a little bit of that tonight, and I keep thinking it’s like a circus, a joyous occasion and they’re rushing in there and getting those seats. And they’ll go in there and occupy a seat, they’ll go very early, hours and hours before. But the jumping up and down, and the ritual that they go through … “Should the Republicans get up on this one, or should they sit on their hands?”, “Oh, this is one where everybody gets up and down”, and it sounds like the world has been saved.

If you were locked in just were on that floor, it would be so distorted. But that’s the way Washington is, it’s so distorted. They live in their own little bubble and they don’t know that there’s anybody like you or anybody in your audience that might have questions about what’s going on in this country. And certainly we didn’t get any answers tonight.

John Stossel: And I know that there’s no requirement that they hold these big celebrations, the constitution just says, “The President, from time to time, shall give Congress information on the state of the union”. Thomas Jefferson wrote his, and that’s what happened for a hundred years. George Washington said 800 words, Obama said several thousand years. That depresses me, I’m going to drop that. You have retired, but are there younger members of Congress now who give you hope?

Ron Paul: Oh, yes, certainly. The numbers aren’t great, but there are 6 to 12 that are going to do a very good job, and that’s a lot more than there have been during the many years that I was there, so that’s very encouraging.

John Stossel: Do you endorse the few, like Representative Justin Amash, Senator Ted Cruz, Thomas Massie, Ted Yoho, Kerry Bentivolio and Steve Stockman?

Ron Paul: Yes, and that’s a real good start. We do need a lot more, but the truth is, after listening to a speech like that, I think we should be convinced that this spending isn’t going to quit before we have a calamity, that’s what I think is going to happen. But that doesn’t mean we shouldn’t stop trying to change people’s minds. But to think that next year and two years from now we’re going to have more members of Congress and we’re finally going to come to our senses and we’re going to vote against some of these largess for all the special interests and we’re going to bring our troops home and they’re going to repeal and restraint the president from assassinating Americans citizens and repeal his so-called right to do that, that’s not going to happen. There’s going to be a serious economic problem and a crisis here where there will be a decision made by the people, mostly the young people right now that are in college and are getting out of college, on what kind of a system we have. We have an outline, it’s been around, it’s called the Constitution, and if we would go in that direction once again, we could solve some of our problems. But it’s not going to be gradual, I think it’s inevitable that we’re going to have this financial crisis, which is going to be very, very serious.

John Stossel: The answer is in the constitution. I happen to have one here and I’m always struck by how thin it is compared to the laws that we now must obey.

Ron Paul: Right.

John Stossel: You were in Congress for 35 years, did anything get better?

Ron Paul: No, it all got worse. The spending always went up, and government got bigger, and there were more wars and more printing of money and more power to the Fed and more central economic planning. But that’s what you see on the surface, in the 1930s, most of the things you saw on the surface was the defense of liberty, and even Roosevelt ran on a balanced budget and a gold standard in 1932. So I think the reverse is the case now, everything on the surface looks like it’s welfarism and warfarism for ever. But I think underneath there is a smoldering desire that is growing by leaps and bounds that’s saying that a lot of people in this country have had enough of it. And I think tonight he talked a lot about gun control, I don’t think the American people are going to put up with that, and I think this awakening is coming, it’s own its way. So I would like to do my share and try and nourish that awakening.

John Stossel: He did talk a lot about gun control, but he never mentioned the word ‘drone’ once.

Ron Paul: That’s the gun we ought to really control. I think the drone missile and our drone warfare, is one of the most dangerous things. When I left Congress, in my speech I listed ‘An attack on civil liberties’ was our most serious threat. But the other thing was the killing of foreigners in foreign countries, like we’re doing in endless countries, by drones. And civilians get killed and Americans get killed and it’s so over the top, and there’s not enough talk about that. And that, to me, …

John Stossel: They do talk about it, but they do say they are keeping us safe: “Kill them there so they don’t kill us here”.

Ron Paul: Yea, that’s what they say, but every time they kill a civilian over there, you probably get ten more that are dedicated to the principles of what the Al-Qaida stands for: keep foreigners out of our land, and punish those who come here to kill us. And the war fever that is built up … I saw a statistic where we’re actually putting putting troops into probably about 35 countries in Africa because we’re competing with China. Now China has earned some money, we buy their stuff, and they’re going over there and investing in natural resources. So we’re investing by buying more weapons and going over there and putting more troops in Africa, and now they say, “Well, we’ve had this victory in Iraq and Afghanistan, so we’re going to move to the Far East and into Africa and conquer those lands as well”. And it’s going to backfire, because we will go bankrupt, and these things will have to stop and there’s going to be a lot of piling on. This is not the way to win friends and influence people by dropping drone missiles on them constantly.

Processing your request, Please wait....

455 responses to “Ron Paul Reacts to State of the Union Address”

1. Cheyemos

HAHA! Get real, man.

2. Cheyemos

Yup, you're a moron.

3. kolya

Have a great day...

4. robodril1

OK Blah blah blah, have a nice day. It is really not that hard to be a good person.

5. jtnoodle

oblama hates freedom, liberty and the constitution, so there.

6. OperationNavajo

You know who makes Libertarian ideology? The Cato Institute. Know who sits on the Cato Institute's board of directors? David fucking Koch the King of the Robber Barons himself. So the Libertarians are presenting themselves as an alternative to the 2 parties they themselves corrupted in the first place. Fucking idiots all round.

7. OperationNavajo

If the Ron Paul had his way..No interstate highways, schools, libraries, prisons, clinics, egual rights, food regulations. food labeling, FBI, CIA, EPA, DOT, OSHA ,national parks and more...... He also wants to end the fed so a private company could be the Central Bank.

8. Adrian Bartolome Delgado

Ron Paul is an unbelievable hypocrite, after making countless speeches about how the UN is threatening american sovereignty, he goes and uses the UN's protocols to try and get the domain name for RonPaul org/ com, i mean get real! the owners asked for $250,000 and Ron Paul supporters called them "greedy", are these guys pro-free market or communists? please, give me a break this guy is no better than any other politician.

9. ArmorOfChrist777

I'm a chemical engineer...please...

10. steveybee1

RON PAUL kicks ass, everyone else sucks ass.

11. aguafinatv

Please leave the DR, PR Cuba, Panama and Brazil out of this. They have absolutely nothing to do with this. Mexicans and black Latinos have ALWAYS been cool with each other. They have the same culture foods traditions, and religion. That's why they get along. Plus, what do you mean "based on their starting"?

12. don logan

they aint rich anymore mate, they owe 16 trillion, most of it to china lol

13. guapgueezee

son tarados moira su historia son gente barbarian nosotros somos Latinos los que le dieron luz al mundo esa gente son como animales .. piratas cosas asi.. nada mas nada meno y racista y quieren dividir al latino y moreno porque conocen nuestro poder.. especialmente en nyc

14. guapgueezee

I am Latina and mulatto like may latinos from DR PR Cuba Panama Brazil etc .. blacks do show animosity towards mexicans i agree but it is based on their starting it with their gangs from hell and from el slavador..lo veo enlos canales latinos..obama is biracial i doubt he has bigotry against himself..and blacks feel resentment when they have high unemployment and study after study shows how ppl throw away black resumes and only hire because affirmative action if not they wouldt hire at all

15. French Canadian

The Ruthless State of the Union: The Current Crime Boss Speaks

16. mykehauwke

ladies and gents, the President of the USA right there.

17. rxantos

Dado que piensas que los americanos que no saben español son idiotas. No tendrás ningún problema de que se obligue a hablar en inglés a la gente en los países latinoamericanos. Acaso no es la misma situación?

Uno no debe proponer el imponer cargas a otros que no esta uno mismo dispuesto a cargar. El hacerlo lo convierte a uno en hipócrita.

18. rxantos

Is is really doing that?

Think. Who is getting the largest share? The people? Bullshit.

Those who own the political parties are the ones getting the biggest share. Meanwhile useful idiots get crumbs. Once they get the 2nd amendment, they will not even get that.

19. aguafinatv

I agree.

20. Dr Plan

u're right, i am very lucky to get to know about this site. i know one thing for sure, it's way easier than i thought do a few surveys and boom a few $100 extra in your bank every week. i got it from here. you can also try it: bit.ly\WLTOLu

21. MegF142857

Nah, let's just be bilingual. In Europe many folks speak and understand multiple languages, so why not the US doing the same. My Mom's first language was Spanish, but she learned English when she started attending school where that was the language required. My Dad's first language was English, but later as an adult he became fluent in Spanish. I would keep English our primary language in the US, but why not learn two languages?

22. MegF142857

FBI stats?

23. MegF142857

FBI stats?

24. imankhafan

US Government is the richest government in the whole world, why shouldn't government help its people in this bad economy.

25. MegF142857

"We"? Some of us voted for him and even donated to his campaign.

26. john ruiz

Spanish, idiotas, spanish... Marcos Rubio para presidente. spanish will be the official language

27. UnbelievablyGauche

i wish john stossel wouldn't talk to us like we were 5 years old

28. mecher3k

Denies evolution and is no different from any other bigoted republican.

29. fujinofkissmyanthia

a lot of us did

30. fujinofkissmyanthia

a lot of us did.

31. Karu

Ron Paul should do an interview with Nat Larson.

32. Charlie Hale

Ron Paul is a republican..Get over the idea that he is anti both parties...lol Ted Cruz......seriously?

33. Charlie Hale

34. Charlie Hale

I HAVE DOCUMENTS!! I HAVE DOCUMENTS!! Put down the Alex Jones and go outside for a while and go into the real world. FBI stats? LOLOLOL

35. gregkahuna1

How does he hate science?

1 4 5 6 7 8 13