Ron Paul Reacts to State of the Union Address

455 Responses

Transcript

John Stossel: If only someone who really believed in limited government, someone who respects the dignity of the individual and individual freedom, if only someone like Ron Paul would run for president. Oh, he’s here via satellite. Dr. Paul, why didn’t you run for president?

Ron Paul: Well, John, that’s interesting, because I had a dream once that I actually did, and I had a dream that I was doing very well, and that I won the primary in Iowa. And, boy, I woke up that next morning, I went out and watched the TV, and my name was never mentioned, so I guess it was all just a dream. But I thought about it, so maybe some day I will.

John Stossel: And hence the point of my joking introduction. You were often ignored by, not this program, but many in the media. But you did get more than two million votes in the Republican primary.

Ron Paul: Yes, I was pretty pleased. Of course, you always want to do better, but I was very encouraged by the number of people, especially the young people that showed up when I went to the universities, because that’s where I have become more optimistic. I have to admit that I did watch some of the State of The Union message, and I didn’t come out of watching that very optimistic, that was rather depressing. But, in going to the college campuses, which I will continue to do, there’s reason to be optimistic. A lot of young people know what you and so many others have been talking about, it’s so different than it was when I first got into politics in 1970. A lot of people now do care about individual liberty and limited government.

John Stossel: And you and a few other congressmen didn’t attend the States of the Union, and I don’t blame you. Some of these guys show up 10 hours early to be at the end of the aisle so they can get their faces on TV. It’s a big suck-up fest.

Ron Paul: It was terrible. I watched a little bit of that tonight, and I keep thinking it’s like a circus, a joyous occasion and they’re rushing in there and getting those seats. And they’ll go in there and occupy a seat, they’ll go very early, hours and hours before. But the jumping up and down, and the ritual that they go through … “Should the Republicans get up on this one, or should they sit on their hands?”, “Oh, this is one where everybody gets up and down”, and it sounds like the world has been saved.

If you were locked in just were on that floor, it would be so distorted. But that’s the way Washington is, it’s so distorted. They live in their own little bubble and they don’t know that there’s anybody like you or anybody in your audience that might have questions about what’s going on in this country. And certainly we didn’t get any answers tonight.

John Stossel: And I know that there’s no requirement that they hold these big celebrations, the constitution just says, “The President, from time to time, shall give Congress information on the state of the union”. Thomas Jefferson wrote his, and that’s what happened for a hundred years. George Washington said 800 words, Obama said several thousand years. That depresses me, I’m going to drop that. You have retired, but are there younger members of Congress now who give you hope?

Ron Paul: Oh, yes, certainly. The numbers aren’t great, but there are 6 to 12 that are going to do a very good job, and that’s a lot more than there have been during the many years that I was there, so that’s very encouraging.

John Stossel: Do you endorse the few, like Representative Justin Amash, Senator Ted Cruz, Thomas Massie, Ted Yoho, Kerry Bentivolio and Steve Stockman?

Ron Paul: Yes, and that’s a real good start. We do need a lot more, but the truth is, after listening to a speech like that, I think we should be convinced that this spending isn’t going to quit before we have a calamity, that’s what I think is going to happen. But that doesn’t mean we shouldn’t stop trying to change people’s minds. But to think that next year and two years from now we’re going to have more members of Congress and we’re finally going to come to our senses and we’re going to vote against some of these largess for all the special interests and we’re going to bring our troops home and they’re going to repeal and restraint the president from assassinating Americans citizens and repeal his so-called right to do that, that’s not going to happen. There’s going to be a serious economic problem and a crisis here where there will be a decision made by the people, mostly the young people right now that are in college and are getting out of college, on what kind of a system we have. We have an outline, it’s been around, it’s called the Constitution, and if we would go in that direction once again, we could solve some of our problems. But it’s not going to be gradual, I think it’s inevitable that we’re going to have this financial crisis, which is going to be very, very serious.

John Stossel: The answer is in the constitution. I happen to have one here and I’m always struck by how thin it is compared to the laws that we now must obey.

Ron Paul: Right.

John Stossel: You were in Congress for 35 years, did anything get better?

Ron Paul: No, it all got worse. The spending always went up, and government got bigger, and there were more wars and more printing of money and more power to the Fed and more central economic planning. But that’s what you see on the surface, in the 1930s, most of the things you saw on the surface was the defense of liberty, and even Roosevelt ran on a balanced budget and a gold standard in 1932. So I think the reverse is the case now, everything on the surface looks like it’s welfarism and warfarism for ever. But I think underneath there is a smoldering desire that is growing by leaps and bounds that’s saying that a lot of people in this country have had enough of it. And I think tonight he talked a lot about gun control, I don’t think the American people are going to put up with that, and I think this awakening is coming, it’s own its way. So I would like to do my share and try and nourish that awakening.

John Stossel: He did talk a lot about gun control, but he never mentioned the word ‘drone’ once.

Ron Paul: That’s the gun we ought to really control. I think the drone missile and our drone warfare, is one of the most dangerous things. When I left Congress, in my speech I listed ‘An attack on civil liberties’ was our most serious threat. But the other thing was the killing of foreigners in foreign countries, like we’re doing in endless countries, by drones. And civilians get killed and Americans get killed and it’s so over the top, and there’s not enough talk about that. And that, to me, …

John Stossel: They do talk about it, but they do say they are keeping us safe: “Kill them there so they don’t kill us here”.

Ron Paul: Yea, that’s what they say, but every time they kill a civilian over there, you probably get ten more that are dedicated to the principles of what the Al-Qaida stands for: keep foreigners out of our land, and punish those who come here to kill us. And the war fever that is built up … I saw a statistic where we’re actually putting putting troops into probably about 35 countries in Africa because we’re competing with China. Now China has earned some money, we buy their stuff, and they’re going over there and investing in natural resources. So we’re investing by buying more weapons and going over there and putting more troops in Africa, and now they say, “Well, we’ve had this victory in Iraq and Afghanistan, so we’re going to move to the Far East and into Africa and conquer those lands as well”. And it’s going to backfire, because we will go bankrupt, and these things will have to stop and there’s going to be a lot of piling on. This is not the way to win friends and influence people by dropping drone missiles on them constantly.

Processing your request, Please wait....

455 responses to “Ron Paul Reacts to State of the Union Address”

1. mjs1231

THE ELECTION WAS A FRAUD, THE ESTABLISHMENT CHEATED.

OBAMA IS A FRAUD, ALL THESE THINGS EFFECTED BY THE CORRUPTION AND FRAUD. THEY WILL NEVER BE ADDRESSED.

IM PRETTY SURE AMERICA IS JUST ABOUT TO BE OVER.

2. Atoms Molecules

I disagree, here’s why… Ron Paul was told by the owners of that website that he could have full control of the site for $250,000. Ron Paul could have engaged the other party in a free market transaction and paid the $250,000 to gain full control of the site! But instead Ron Paul filed a UDRP complaint with the UN asking them to help him gain control of the site! Ron Paul should have stuck to his principles and accepted the Free market trade by paying up! But he didn’t!

3. FictionalTruths

Disputes over websites are always supposed to be settled with an Arbiter. All Ron Paul did was file the necessary paperwork in complience with the law.

4. FictionalTruths

He create very low paying jobs in the public sector and workers were expected to send most of the money home with their families. He rose up taxes while at the same time putting careful regulations on who gets how much food, gas, etc. Creating new jobs doesn’t mean a damn thing when the jobs barely pay anything at all, taxes are sky-high, and people can’t use what little money they have left on supporting themselves because everything is rationed.

5. Atoms Molecules

*Double FACEPALM* You actually think that Roosevelt could have stopped Pearl Harbor? LOL LOL! Roosevelt raised taxes and brought down the unemployment rate. War itself contributed to creating some jobs sure it did, but overall, Roosevelt’s tax hikes also contributed greatly to the economy, as opposed to the Wall St swindlers who were stealing from dead investor’s widows! Keeping in mind that Ronnie the Senile turd wants virtually ZERO regulations for Wall St!

6. FictionalTruths

*facepalm* THE FED IS ALREADY PRIVATELY OWNED!!!

7. FictionalTruths

*facepalm* Roosevelt left the U.S in huge debt that had to be payed back with Eisenhower’s 90% tax rate. Roosevelt basically said “fuck it, we’ll pay the money back later”. Roosevelt could’ve stopped Pearl Harbor, but he let it happen to create a Wartime economy which actually made the depression worse because while more people were employed, Rations made the Standard of Living horrible. Your right, Roosevelt was a master politician. Just not a good president.

8. Atoms Molecules

RonBots are retarded I know you dopes disagree with allowing the government spend money but, how do you idiots propose that we create jobs? You need to take a cue from history books, we need to create programs that can create jobs! You don’t create jobs out of thin air! And, currently existing companies, ie Apple, are not going to create American jobs! Apple is going to create jobs in China! And don’t give me that bullshit about our taxes being too high, Japan pays the highest taxes you idiots!

9. Atoms Molecules

Nope, I’ve been reading history books, now prove me wrong, I DARE YOU!

10. FictionalTruths

Sound’s like someones been watching too much AmazingAtheist…

11. aguafinatv

Not even close buddy. I live in a town where it is like 50% white and 48% Mexican and we live in peace and harmony. If your pathetic and ridiculous comment had any truth it would show in my town. A couple of blocks from where I live a white dude and a Mexican dude recently opened a Mexican-American restaurant head chef is of Mexican descent and recent culinary graduate. If those 2 races hate each other we would not be doing things like this. You sound like CNN and MSN spreading lies.

12. Atoms Molecules

wRong Paul sucks my ASS!

13. Atoms Molecules

Oh please, Ad hominems aside, Keynesian economics has been put to the test! And guess what? What do you think Roosevelt did during the 1930′s for the economy? Now that that’s been established, how much of Roosevelt’s efforts were a simple waste of government funds? Roosevelt created programs that provided jobs for Americans, and I know you RonBots will never accept the fact that Roosevelt made the right decisions! Roosevelt was a master politician 10 times over that senile dope wRong Paul.!

14. angelzngods

You should seriously consider running in the next presidential election…… oh wait, never mind.

15. spoada

Doctors make better leaders that liars, I mean lawyers.

16. Taylor Chambers

What do you mean you need welfare? Did someone tell you to spend all your money? Dollars, worthless? That’s impossible! China? HA! They’ll never be competition. This is America. And other tales of deception from King (Big Government) Cnut.

17. Taylor Chambers

Well, then you should know that Austrian Economics is rooted in tangible scientific results, unlike keynesianism. Your Ad hominem attacks discredit your own arguments.

18. Taylor Chambers

Obama claimed once that the founders had “a blind spot”. I think they did. They never foresaw their words would be twisted in such a way. Of course, Obama is nothing but another puppet, for failed government policy.

19. lalaboards

Hea lets make everyone equal !!!!! That will fix the economy.Equality sucks individuality and free market ROCKS.Welfare is a prison whose walls are made of of EBT plastic.Keep your whole pay check.Vote Liberty.Self determination not self limitation.

20. chrisj1011

\ California Mexicans are the most racist, towards whites at least

21. SoullessDictator

As mayor of NYC and promoter of nationwide programs backed by Hollywood, it’s my job and the job of my Jewish comrades, Dianne Feinstein, Chuck Schumer, and Rahm Emanuel, to support government taking swift and bold action to strip people of their freedoms.

22. RunPaulRevolution

Obama is destroying the Constitution. The 1st, 2nd and 4th Amendments are all under attack by a President who studied Constitutional Law. Did he go to school to learn how to uphold it or to destroy it. When he was sworn in he promise to uphold our Constitution. He has done everything to destroy our Constitution.

23. tblackhandful

fuck off with your religious crap this is about politics

24. Atoms Molecules

Wow you RonBots are really committed, I give you credit for that! Even though Evolution is a FACT not a theory, you still defend wRong Paul on creationist grounds! Speaking of transitions, shall I point you to Australopithecus Afarensis, the fossil that was discovered with Human and ape qualities? Keep in mind that such fossil is 3.2 Million years old and was discovered over 100 years after Darwin’s origin of species! LOL You creationists make me laugh..!!

25. Atoms Molecules

26. sssssjjjj1

don’t you think DNA, since it is a code, shows design, and anything but random activity..Darwin said if cells and human biology wind up being more complex than previous though the theory would fall through, and also said the fossils would have to show tens of thousands of transitional remains of fossilized skeletons going from species to species…wing to leg for instance…but 0 are found….You have nothing but the luciferians pushing it. It’s the best theory going, but seriously inadequate

27. Atoms Molecules

Pull your head out of wRong Paul’s creationist ass!

28. perdue1111

aguafinatv…I don’t trust what the F.B.I. wants us to believe. They are part of the undermining of America. There is much frustration in society, today. Obama and his superiors, “The Elitist” want to divide us as much as possible so we fight among ourselves because WHEN WE ARE UNITED TOGETHER is when we become a POWERFUL FORCE to fight for our freedom and the right to bear arms! WE MUST REMEMBER THIS! They want civil unrest so they can throw ALL OF US of ALL RACES into FEMA Camps, or worse!

29. Michael Ahonen

Ron Paul makes too much sense. Chief tells it like it is.

30. EgadsNo

I suppose you think its unscientific for him to not blindly accept the entirety of a theory he is not familiar with just because people tell him to do so- yea I see you really respect science

31. EgadsNo

“hates gays” He was going to take away advantages the married had over non married people- thats more then the idle words offered by everyone else in terms of civil liberties. “atheists” Thats really a spurious claim. “Science” since he is for stem cells, I assume you refer to a highly edited video that cut out all of the context. That being a display of perfect scientific reasoning. He said he did not know the entire theory parameters, more specific about mutual exclusivity in theories.

32. EgadsNo

You should not have to expect someone to say sorry for something they did not do. Do you really expect a congressman and doctor to have read every newsletter when people in congress do not even read every page of a bill they vote on? Dr. Paul is pretty darn good at prioritizing things and I would expect he put reading bills ahead of a publication he affiliated with amongst dozens of writers.

33. Primo Knoxville

Pull your head out of your ass.

34. Atoms Molecules

I like how in the head of you RonBots, Ron Paul can do no wrong ever! HA HA HA Accept reality you dopes, wRong Paul has requested that the UN use their authority to give him back control of the Site! Why didn’t wRong Paul just pay the $ 250,000? Because he’s a senile hypocrite!

35. Cheyemos

So you just proved your own point wrong. You’re using counterproductive logic. But that probably went over your head, am I right?

1 5 6 7 8 9 13