Ron Paul Reacts to State of the Union Address

455 Responses

Transcript

John Stossel: If only someone who really believed in limited government, someone who respects the dignity of the individual and individual freedom, if only someone like Ron Paul would run for president. Oh, he’s here via satellite. Dr. Paul, why didn’t you run for president?

Ron Paul: Well, John, that’s interesting, because I had a dream once that I actually did, and I had a dream that I was doing very well, and that I won the primary in Iowa. And, boy, I woke up that next morning, I went out and watched the TV, and my name was never mentioned, so I guess it was all just a dream. But I thought about it, so maybe some day I will.

John Stossel: And hence the point of my joking introduction. You were often ignored by, not this program, but many in the media. But you did get more than two million votes in the Republican primary.

Ron Paul: Yes, I was pretty pleased. Of course, you always want to do better, but I was very encouraged by the number of people, especially the young people that showed up when I went to the universities, because that’s where I have become more optimistic. I have to admit that I did watch some of the State of The Union message, and I didn’t come out of watching that very optimistic, that was rather depressing. But, in going to the college campuses, which I will continue to do, there’s reason to be optimistic. A lot of young people know what you and so many others have been talking about, it’s so different than it was when I first got into politics in 1970. A lot of people now do care about individual liberty and limited government.

John Stossel: And you and a few other congressmen didn’t attend the States of the Union, and I don’t blame you. Some of these guys show up 10 hours early to be at the end of the aisle so they can get their faces on TV. It’s a big suck-up fest.

Ron Paul: It was terrible. I watched a little bit of that tonight, and I keep thinking it’s like a circus, a joyous occasion and they’re rushing in there and getting those seats. And they’ll go in there and occupy a seat, they’ll go very early, hours and hours before. But the jumping up and down, and the ritual that they go through … “Should the Republicans get up on this one, or should they sit on their hands?”, “Oh, this is one where everybody gets up and down”, and it sounds like the world has been saved.

If you were locked in just were on that floor, it would be so distorted. But that’s the way Washington is, it’s so distorted. They live in their own little bubble and they don’t know that there’s anybody like you or anybody in your audience that might have questions about what’s going on in this country. And certainly we didn’t get any answers tonight.

John Stossel: And I know that there’s no requirement that they hold these big celebrations, the constitution just says, “The President, from time to time, shall give Congress information on the state of the union”. Thomas Jefferson wrote his, and that’s what happened for a hundred years. George Washington said 800 words, Obama said several thousand years. That depresses me, I’m going to drop that. You have retired, but are there younger members of Congress now who give you hope?

Ron Paul: Oh, yes, certainly. The numbers aren’t great, but there are 6 to 12 that are going to do a very good job, and that’s a lot more than there have been during the many years that I was there, so that’s very encouraging.

John Stossel: Do you endorse the few, like Representative Justin Amash, Senator Ted Cruz, Thomas Massie, Ted Yoho, Kerry Bentivolio and Steve Stockman?

Ron Paul: Yes, and that’s a real good start. We do need a lot more, but the truth is, after listening to a speech like that, I think we should be convinced that this spending isn’t going to quit before we have a calamity, that’s what I think is going to happen. But that doesn’t mean we shouldn’t stop trying to change people’s minds. But to think that next year and two years from now we’re going to have more members of Congress and we’re finally going to come to our senses and we’re going to vote against some of these largess for all the special interests and we’re going to bring our troops home and they’re going to repeal and restraint the president from assassinating Americans citizens and repeal his so-called right to do that, that’s not going to happen. There’s going to be a serious economic problem and a crisis here where there will be a decision made by the people, mostly the young people right now that are in college and are getting out of college, on what kind of a system we have. We have an outline, it’s been around, it’s called the Constitution, and if we would go in that direction once again, we could solve some of our problems. But it’s not going to be gradual, I think it’s inevitable that we’re going to have this financial crisis, which is going to be very, very serious.

John Stossel: The answer is in the constitution. I happen to have one here and I’m always struck by how thin it is compared to the laws that we now must obey.

Ron Paul: Right.

John Stossel: You were in Congress for 35 years, did anything get better?

Ron Paul: No, it all got worse. The spending always went up, and government got bigger, and there were more wars and more printing of money and more power to the Fed and more central economic planning. But that’s what you see on the surface, in the 1930s, most of the things you saw on the surface was the defense of liberty, and even Roosevelt ran on a balanced budget and a gold standard in 1932. So I think the reverse is the case now, everything on the surface looks like it’s welfarism and warfarism for ever. But I think underneath there is a smoldering desire that is growing by leaps and bounds that’s saying that a lot of people in this country have had enough of it. And I think tonight he talked a lot about gun control, I don’t think the American people are going to put up with that, and I think this awakening is coming, it’s own its way. So I would like to do my share and try and nourish that awakening.

John Stossel: He did talk a lot about gun control, but he never mentioned the word ‘drone’ once.

Ron Paul: That’s the gun we ought to really control. I think the drone missile and our drone warfare, is one of the most dangerous things. When I left Congress, in my speech I listed ‘An attack on civil liberties’ was our most serious threat. But the other thing was the killing of foreigners in foreign countries, like we’re doing in endless countries, by drones. And civilians get killed and Americans get killed and it’s so over the top, and there’s not enough talk about that. And that, to me, …

John Stossel: They do talk about it, but they do say they are keeping us safe: “Kill them there so they don’t kill us here”.

Ron Paul: Yea, that’s what they say, but every time they kill a civilian over there, you probably get ten more that are dedicated to the principles of what the Al-Qaida stands for: keep foreigners out of our land, and punish those who come here to kill us. And the war fever that is built up … I saw a statistic where we’re actually putting putting troops into probably about 35 countries in Africa because we’re competing with China. Now China has earned some money, we buy their stuff, and they’re going over there and investing in natural resources. So we’re investing by buying more weapons and going over there and putting more troops in Africa, and now they say, “Well, we’ve had this victory in Iraq and Afghanistan, so we’re going to move to the Far East and into Africa and conquer those lands as well”. And it’s going to backfire, because we will go bankrupt, and these things will have to stop and there’s going to be a lot of piling on. This is not the way to win friends and influence people by dropping drone missiles on them constantly.

Processing your request, Please wait....

455 responses to “Ron Paul Reacts to State of the Union Address”

1. ElectricTN

Sorry, but my argument is solid facts! Try doing the math and take your own head out of your ass! Please prove my piece wrong! BTW, YOU A IDIOT!

2. adri Bam

Sorry, but your arguments lose all legitimacy when you say “what a idiot” lol. Try sticking your head out of your ass.

3. Nate Herne

Until the Tea Party pulls their hands out of his ass and stops working his mouth like a puppet, he will never get my vote. Ron will always have my vote.

4. shampoolappy

Me too.

5. Patriot150792

I wonder if other Ron Paul supporters would consider voting for Rand Paul when he runs for president. I certainly would.

6. goog le

the constitution is thin compared to todays laws because it wasnt written by a pack of shyster, crooked, corrupt lawyers, judges and politicians. Truth is simple. Deception is more complex.

7. goog le

Dr. Paul might not have all the answers but at least; and its a miracle since he’s in politics but…..he tells the frickin’ truth.

8. shampoolappy

Actually he didn’t go to the UN. The owners of Ronpaul.com and Ron Paul signed legal papers when his campaign began and in the Terms it says that if there is ever a dispute with the domain than the party has to go through a process to get it reviewed. He didn’t go to the UN, he’s following the process of a legal document both parties signed. Not hypocritical whatsoever.

9. shampoolappy

Do you really think Wall Street is in check now with all the regulations it has? They caused the financial crisis and not one of them has been prosecuted for their crimes. Obama’s just in their pocket just like 99% of Washington. As for his personal beliefs, I could care less. As long as he doesn’t preach his religion and jam it down everyone’s throat (which he has never done) then I don’t see a problem with it. So what if he’s pro-life? Is that supposed to be looked down on? Anyways good luck

10. Alicia Lutz-Rolow

GOD BLESS YOU SIR…IT IS A HUGE LOSS TO THIS COUNTRY THAT YOU ARE NOT THE PRESIDENT AND WE ARE NOW GOING TO HAVE TO SHED MUCH BLOOD TO TAKE BACK WHAT YOU COULD HAVE HELP FACILITATE SOME…THANK YOU FOR YOUR COURAGE…PLEASE PRAY FOR OUR REPUBLIC!

11. Alicia Lutz-Rolow

It is soooooooooooo pathetic that the American People did not STAND STRONG behind this man…Now we will get what we deserve…ONLY problem with that is….I don’t deserve what’s coming and neither do millions of other Americans that did not sit complacent and did NOTget informed! I HATE being part of the MASSES right now…IT SUCKS THE BIG ONE!!!!!!! I HATE STUPID PEOPLE!!!!!!!

12. 3000asuka

he has one of the best ideas for foreign policy ever. and giving the state more power and federal government less, I like that idea too

13. son6of8Deutschland

It’s not about Ron Paul, it’s about the message. I can tell you this much, We could make a list of lies from politicians dwarfing Ron Pauls one mistake.

14. son6of8Deutschland

Haha. I never said that wasn’t the case. Go back and read what I typed. Who do I think builds the roads and bridges? We do, not the government. The government doesn’t invest. We invest! So when you say the government did it you’re just gargling nonsense. Did the government pay for it? No! I don’t recall you saying Japan has the highest corporate taxes. What you said is Japan has the highest taxes. You need to be clear on what you say. Or just not say anything. You’re not very bright are you?

15. 06rtm

How is his economic agenda dangerous or damaging?

16. anphernie

It’s unlikely that a spell cast by Paul would have any influence on those who already recognize that free market economics is conducive to individual economic power and freedom – ideas which precede Paul by thousands of years

17. jayrod59

Yes, you are correct and it is getting extremely close to the time to use them.

18. ivanolajozza

Minor Issue???? He totally contradicted himself by going to the UN and betrayed his followers! Good luck!

19. John Smith

>using one minor issue to subvert the entire body of a mans work and proven credibility

good goyim…..

20. ivanolajozza

Just Google “Ron Paul UN”

21. RyLoTC

curious what would lead you to believe that ron paul wants to abolish the 1st 4th and 16th amendments? or that he doesnt believe i the seperation of church and state. im not refuting your claims, just looking for the reasoning behind them.

22. nirbmtrREEEPR

Are we in opposite land today? Fix your skirt, your Mag is showing. Blah fucking blah. You think calling people names is gonna hurt our feelings. Why don’t you go ahead and make our heads explode by thinking about it, real real hard. Grunt, squeeze your abdomen & spchinter real hard. Strain! Make our heads explode! Your girlish name calling has as much effect. Go hug your mom and say your sorry for being a traitor to everything her father & grandfather fought to establish. Fucking shame on you.

23. pdc2878

The same could be said about Dr. Paul…did you ever look at his comments before assuming anything? OR do you take your notes from television and MSM?

24. king stalen

Can you please link me to some proof about this, or the source of your statement.

25. chris hawkins

The simple question that all must ask is does the Government tell you what to do or do you tell the Government what to do? To my limited mind the Government seems to be the boss.

26. chris hawkins

27. ivanolajozza

Ron Paul has filed a complaint at the United Nations against “ronpaul.com” to confiscate the domain name from his own supporters and give it to him!!!

28. ivanolajozza

God, you Ron Paul supporters still hanging on even after this man’s recent demands he took to the UN!! HAHHAHHHHAAAAAAA……

29. Travis Costa

You can’t argue with people of this primitive caliber. Really anyone that has to resort to name calling as their primary method of argument isn’t worth the time of day. He’s probably a mole for the establishment to push his fascist communist agenda anyway.

Taxation being a constitutional amendment is one thing, taxation without representation is another. I don’t like taxes either, but it can be legitimated by acceptable services rendered. Acceptable has been surpassed by collectivism.

30. 20alphabet

This man tells the truth!

31. ElectricTN

Thanks for proving my point and your ignorance..

32. ElectricTN

Really? The patriot Act was put into place by the Bush administration and kept in place by the Obama administration. That alone destroyed the 4th amendment. Who again is wanting to destroy the 2nd? Oh yes thats right Obama, same as the 1st and the tax cuts on the rich which is the 16th amendment!!! You are so far off base and your facts are 100% incorrect! What a idiot!

33. Atoms Molecules

Oh cut it out you dope, wRong Paul wants to abolish the 1st, 4th and 16th amendments! I like how you RonBots never mention that, you simply sweep it under the rug! Don’t be Hypocrites, wRong Paul doesn’t like certain parts of the Constitution! He is anything but a Constitutional champion, he’s a senile kooky little dope!

34. eggsdabomb

the global elites don’t want someone like Paul who makes sense and doesn’t want to take our rights way… they want a puppet ( Bush Clinton Obama) FUCKING POWER THIRSTY SCUMS!

35. tommydhammer

Abolish the minimum wage, deregulate and allow small businesses to be competitive, lower the capital gains tax, remove all tariffs on all countries, abolish the fed.

1 7 8 9 10 11 13