Ron Paul: Gold Is the Ultimate Money

Transcript

David Asman: Well, the Fed announced it will continue pumping money into the economy, while the leaders in Washington still can’t balance the budget. Our next guest spent years battling policies like these when he was a Congressman, will his legacy live on? Joining me now on a Fox Business exclusive is the man, the legend, former Congressman Dr. Ron Paul. Dr. Paul, it’s great to hear from you, how are you and what have you been doing with your time since you left Congress.

Ron Paul: Just waiting on your call. I’m delighted to hear from you.

David Asman: We’re going to call everyday from now, you’re going to get sick of it.

Ron Paul: I’ve been pretty busy travelling and talking about … what are the things I talk about? I talk about the Fed, the economy, the fixing of the interest rates and all of the bizarre things that we’ve been living with, and why the Fed helped us run up that deficit and all those kinds of things that I think you’ve heard about.

David Asman: One thing that you haven’t been doing, unfortunately, is grilling Ben Bernanke like you used to do when you were a House member. And there was one classic exchange between you and Ben Bernanke, let’s just play the exchange and then I want to get you to it and current events. Play the exchange.

Ron Paul: Do you think gold is money?

Ben Bernanke: No, it’s a precious metal.

Ron Paul: It’s been money for 6,000 years, somebody reversed that and eliminated that economic law.

Ben Bernanke: Well, it’s an asset. Would you say treasury bills are money, I don’t think they’re money, either.

David Asman: So Ben Bernanke doesn’t think gold is money or a currency. But when you look at what happened in Cyprus, where the government was considering – and it still may do it, to some extent – going into your bank accounts and literally confiscating money that you have already earned and already paid taxes on, don’t you think that more people in the world are going to think of gold as money?

Ron Paul: Absolutely, and that’s the nature of government. When they get into trouble, they try to raise taxes, which is confiscation, but this is a little bit more blatant in the way they were doing it. But I’m just wondering what’s going to happen, whether they’re even going to open up those banks again. Instead of arguing whether they’re going to take 6% or 10%, they might be arguing, “When are we ever going to not open up these banks again”. So I’m sure it will happen, but I’m not amused by these kinds of things, it happened in the depression and at different times. In the ultimate test gold is money, not because I say its money, but because history has proven that. And if you really want to know the ultimate money, think of the countries that get into trouble and people try to leave their borders. You think you can give a paper dollar or a paper currency to bribe somebody at the border? No, you need gold, because gold is the ultimate money.

David Asman: Today, Ben Bernanke was been questioned a lot about QE2 and bond purchasing, about printing money to purchase government bonds, which, of course, helps the politician to pay for things he doesn’t have money for. But that idea of Quantitative Easing is running out of juice, and even people who have been supportertive of Bernanke are saying so now. Do you think that that policy might change in the coming months??

Ron Paul: It’s going to change, but not because they want to do it deliberately. Because, let’s say if today he would have announced, “We have a new policy. We think we have overdone it and we are going to gradually withdraw, we’re only going to buy 80 next month and 50 the next month”. I think that would have panicked the stock market. What we’re witnessing now is the result of this wild Quantitative Easing, pumping all the money into the bonds and the stocks, and at the same time we have 50,000 people in New York City that are homeless, we have 48 million people on food stamps. And free market economists claim, and I tend to believe them, that the real unemployment rate is probably close to 22%. So this pumping and Quantitative Easing has not solved our problems.

David Asman: Well, you mentioned the stock market, obviously it has helped the stock market go to greater heights, because if you feed free money to the stock market, they love it, they can borrow at no interest rates and make more money on deals, etc. But sometimes a company’s stock will go higher when they fire people, that happened recently with American Express, they fired thousands of people and their stock went up 5% – 6% in one day. Doesn’t trying to prop up the stock market contradict Ben Bernanke’s policy of keeping unemployment down?

Ron Paul: Yes, and I think there are two reasons for stocks to go up, one might be because the company is cleaning up its act and maybe firing people they don’t need, or there’s just a lot of money there participating in a bubble, such as with houses or with stocks, especially like the NASDAQ bubble. But that’s where the money is going, and fixing the price of money is the big deal. Many a times I watch these press releases and am fascinated with them where they go down second by second, and what is the announcement? On probably the most important price in the whole world, and most economist declare, “We don’t believe in price fixing”, but this is price fixing at its worse and everybody hangs on that, Wall Street hangs on it, and yet it’s completely foreign to the free market.

David Asman: Dr. Paul, we only have about 20 seconds, but as I said, people around the world realize the currency is not where they want to put their trust anymore. When you can look at Cyprus and you can look at what’s happening here, do you think the voters might turn back to a gold standard or something where the currency used is worth its weight in gold?

Ron Paul: I really think so, because that’s what history has shown, that ultimately once the government destroys its currency, they have to go back to something more trustworthy than a politician’s promise. And I go to a lot of campuses, and the younger generation are very much attuned to this, because I think they understand monetary policy a lot better than my generation did when we were in college.

David Asman: Dr. Ron Paul, it’s always great to have you, we will call you more frequently. By the way, how’s your son doing, is there anything you disagree with him on?

Ron Paul: I think he’s catching on pretty well, I think he’s doing great.

David Asman: Are you for his immigration policy?

Ron Paul: I haven’t got a hold of that yet, I’ve written my policy up, and I think it does pick up a lot from my book “Liberty defined”, I have a whole chapter in that. It’s not an easy subject for anybody to deal with, but it will be interesting to see how that shapes out.

David Asman: It’s a tough nut. Dr. Ron Paul, good to see you, thanks a lot.

1. My very own twin produced 15 million gold coins and decided he was remarkable. He kept it secret though I pleaded with him even so I found tips on how after I examined his internet history. Hahaha... Busted. He got great at buying and selling using the Zappo Fifa Gold System (Google it!) Me telling you this is gonna annoy the hell outta him...

2. 1:03 skip to it

3. Earn up to 3000$+ per month for real with FIREPA.COM

4. Bitcoin is a nice place to be until we have real money again.

5. I'll agree with you on that mate, I mean "any commodity" literally colud be used as "money", it's the acceptance of it generally, totally agree.

6. Stop wasting your time and start making real money now with FIREPA.COM
    Its real money and fast: Its paying me more than $3.000 monthly.
    Check it out.

7. 1) Gold has not "held it's value" any more than any other commonly used commodity on the market, including gas. 2) The value of gold is denominated in dollars, so measuring the value of gold in dollars then saying that the dollar has lost its value is sort of silly. i do agree that the dollar is losing its value, but measuring it by the price of gold is pointless. if you measured it against the CPI of houses you'd think that the dollar had suddenly gained a lot of value, which clearly isn't true

8. 1) gold is NOT a "superconductor" 2) being a conductor or insulator or semiconductor is irrelevant. 3)being shiny is just as irrelevant as being dull. 4) i already knew paper has no intrinsic value. 5) most people would choose the equivalent amount of cash over gold because gold is an illiquid asset. 6)the CPI for gold does not indicate that it should be 'the standard' any more than the CPI for housing. it's incredibly dangerous to only tie the value of the money to commodities that form bubbles

9. Same here guys, I think most like minded people voted this way.

10. Gold has held it's value, it's the dollar that has lost value, therefore making everything more expensive (including Gas, duh!) and meanwhile the price of an ounce of gold in DOLLARS skyrocketed.........

11. wrong, it's a superconducter. Which makes it VERY important for your computer and this technology based society.

It's also shiny, and not arbitrarily printed by corrupt fucks who don't care about you.

FYI: no intrinsic value in paper either, as a matter of fact, if you put a dollar and an equal amount of gold next to it, adjusting for CPI for the last thirty years, a dollar and piece of gold for each year respectively.

You'd see exactly why people hate paper money now.

12. Almost like the sequel to the movie that turned me onto the liberty movement, a fitting end for a diplomatic career!

13. haha, sounds like his retirement is going AWESOME!

14. ..............................

15. What is this obsession with gold?

16. why do you keep asserting gold as being 'better money'? it's far more difficult to work with than fiat. most of the value produced by an economy cannot be reflected by gold as it is a scarce resource, whereas a fiat money system can grow steadily with the advancement of a nation's economy. yes, fiat can fail miserably, but it has far more to do with political instability, economic and fiscal policy than it has to do with fiat money. the more important debate is about ending crony capitalism.

17. there is no such thing as intrinsic value but gold is a better money than the keyboard you are using and it is better than pieces of government paper too

18. imagine if they had had fiat

19. I don't see why you would want to bring up the Romans as an example, considering their silver and gold money became totally debased.It's a good example of how the value of money isn't really tied to the availability of an arbitrarily chosen commodity, but rather it has far more to do with political pressures and personal preferences.

20. "In this modern era, it doesn't have to."
    I agree.
    "Malthusian Detected...explain how we got this far, or why you think it can't get into the trillions"
    I'm not a "Malthusian" just because I make a plain observation. If you reproduce faster than you can acquire resources to sustain yourself, then you're going to be in poverty or possibly die off. I think it's obvious 'how we got this far', and I never said it can't get into the trillions.
    "Any country on EARTH would prefer payment in gold." No.