Ron Paul: Rand Paul and I Are about 99% the Same

Transcript

Geraldo Rivera: I’m very delighted to welcome back to the program the former Congressman from Texas, the former candidate for president of the United States, the father of someone who is talked about as a future candidate for president of the United States. The son is Rand Paul, the Kentucky Republican, the father is Ron Paul. How are you doing, Congressman, how’s life?

Ron Paul: Geraldo, I’m doing well, thank you.

Geraldo Rivera: I’ve read, with great interest, a couple of hours ago, that you have endorsed the candidacy of Mark Sanford, the former Governor of South Carolina, who is embattled in his race for the congressional seat in Charleston, South Carolina. What’s up?

Ron Paul: Well, he’s a good friend, I’ve known him for years, he was a good voter, and I thought he was the best candidate, so I decided to help him out while everybody else is piling on him.

Geraldo Rivera: So do you think he’s personal transgressions are irrelevant?

Ron Paul: No, I think they’re very relevant, I think some people will vote against him for that, and that’s okay. But if we always look for perfection in our candidates, we’d have a tough time finding them. I think he’s obviously the best candidate, and he certainly has his shortcomings, but I imagine all of us have some shortcomings somewhere along the way.

Geraldo Rivera: Well, everyone in this radio broadcast facility can say, “Yes, that’s true”. But it seems to me that you have set yourself up in some ways to be the anti-GOP Establishment. They forsake and cut off Mark Sanford after he got caught walking in his ex-wife’s backyard or something, and then you embrace him. Are you doing that to tweak the Karl Roves of the world?

Ron Paul: Not really, because I actually sent him the endorsement before that last story broke. And, technically speaking, I would have had to reverse it and take it away, but I decided not to, especially after having made a commitment. I think the only thing that we did was we delayed it one week so it wouldn’t be lost in all the other news. But, no, I don’t think I’m taking on anybody as much as it seems like the party takes on us who want to be a little bit determined about limiting the government and cutting spending and having a different attitude towards civil liberties, and maybe having a foreign policy more like Robert Taft. So I think they take us on as much as we take them on, I think they’re on the wrong side of many of these issues.

Geraldo Rivera: You established the Ron Paul Institute for Peace and Prosperity, to kind of continue your philosophy, your public advocacy, of a non-interventionist foreign policy. A lot of people you know are saying that this was the worst thing that could have happened for your son’s potential national aspirations. They’re throwing the usual mud at you, that the people involved are or were anti-Semitic and all the rest of that. Do you take that with a grain of salt, do you worry that it might affect your son’s possibilities?

Ron Paul: I can’t worry about it because I can’t care too much about it and I can’t change my ways, and I’m not going to all of a sudden quit doing what I’ve been doing for 30 years because I have opportunities now to actually continue. I can get on the radio once in a while, I have an influence on you and others. So I would say no, I’ll keep doing it, but I’m aware of it. But, in a way, I don’t think it hurts him. We do have some differences and the approaches will be different, but that makes him his own person. Why should it be said that he’s a clone and he has to do everything and think exactly as I have. I think it’s an opportunity for him to show that he’s an independent minded, and he has different opinions.

Geraldo Rivera: You don’t want him to forsake his dad, do you? I would hate that if my son did that, if he went out in public and said, “My dad is one thing, I’m totally different”. Do you want the same thing?

Ron Paul: No, I don’t think he will, because we’re about 99% same.

Geraldo Rivera: Yes, that’s the way is strikes me, I like you both.

Ron Paul: I think there are people who want to drive wedges through that, that’s one reason why, if somebody calls up … if you would have called today and said, “Ron, all we’re going to talk about today is where you and Rand disagree on”, I would say, “I’m not interested in that subject so much”. Because it’s other people who want to do that, they want to dwell on the differences, and I don’t think that’s that important.

Geraldo Rivera: I’m almost out of time, and I hate that I put you in this shorter segment.

Ron Paul: I know you didn’t do that on purpose.

Geraldo Rivera: I know, you know we care deeply for you. But I’m just thinking, have we recovered from the Boston bombing, are we doing enough to investigate the origins?

Ron Paul: Well, probably not, but I don’t have the information on what they exactly have done. I think investigations, whether you’re investigating assassinations or whatever, most of the time cover up blames. It’s not so much that somebody conspired to do these things, but I think so often what they do is make sure nobody gets blamed. If somebody goofed up, then you won’t hear about it. So investigations are fine if they’re revealing the truth.

Geraldo Rivera: We got to leave you, Congressman, so sorry. I hear you.

1. Thanks for the comment.

2. Allowing weed doesn't mean you plan to do it yourself.
    Business owner has every right to decide what goes on in his business and property. It's a good thing that you reject racism, but it's quite the other to FORCE other people to maintain same view as yours.
    And your #2 and 3 doesn't even have any contents. It just says to research to agree with you.

3. I have been asked to PROVE my opinion that Rand & the Tea Party are simply the new face of the old KKK. So here goes. 1) Educated Americans KNOW the CRA of 1964, makes it ILLEGAL for a business owner to post a "Whites Only" sign. Rand STILL believes stores have a "right" to do that. 2) Research the dozens of hateful, racist TP rally vids here on YT. 3) Research the racist e-mails from PROMINENT TP Leaders, members& supporters like Mark Williams, Marylyn Davenport & Carl Paladino. Thank You.

4. I have been asked to PROVE my opinion that Rand & the Tea Party are simply the new face of the old KKK. So here goes. 1) Educated Americans KNOW the CRA of 1964, makes it ILLEGAL for a business owner to post a "Whites Only" sign. Rand STILL believes stores have a "right" to do that. 2) Research the dozens of hateful, racist TP rally vids here on YT. 3) Research the racist e-mails from PROMINENT TP Leaders, members & supporters like Mark Williams, Marylyn Davenport & Carl Paladino. Thank You.

5. I have been asked to PROVE my opinion that Rand & the Tea Party are simply the new face of the old KKK. So here goes. 1) Educated Americans KNOW the CRA of 1964, makes it ILLEGAL for a business owner to post a "Whites Only" sign. Rand STILL believes stores have a "right" to do that. 2) Research the dozens of hateful, racist TP rally vids here on YT. 3) Research the racist e-mails from PROMINENT TP Leaders, members& supporters like Mark Williams, Marylyn Davenport & Carl Paladino. Thank You.

6. I have been asked to PROVE my opinion that Rand & the Tea Party are simply the new face of the old KKK. So here goes. 1) Educated Americans KNOW the CRA of 1964, makes it ILLEGAL for a business owner to post a "Whites Only" sign. Rand STILL believes stores have a "right" to do that. 2) Research the dozens of hateful, racist TP rally vids here on YT. 3) Research the racist e-mails from PROMINENT TP Leaders, members & supporters like Mark Williams, Marylyn Davenport & Carl Paladino. Thank You.

7. Just shows how much you talk out of your ass. Bachelors in Computer Science thank you very much.
    Just like you "assumed" there & failed, you fail the same way in life & your comments on here.
    Good luck with life, you're going to need it skippy...

8. Krugman and Bernanke are like Hitler and Stalin

9. I would suggest that Rand and his supporters endeavor to catch up to the Present first.

10. I would suggest that Rand and his supporters endeavor to catch up to the Present first.

11. Personally, I think it's kinda sick that the media keeps trying to drive a wedge between Ron and Rand.

12. What about tomorrow's modern America where people have more property rights and less government interference?

13. I'm black and I'm fine with that. If that business makes the stupid decision his business is sure to fail. No one, except for a few whites, would serve as customers to that business. Rand Paul looks pretty good for 2016; he'll definitely beat that smelly old hag Hillary because she reeks of establishment, and Rand Paul is fresh.

14. LOL...I see that GED is really coming in handy for you!

15. LOL...I see that GED is really coming in handy for you!

16. Stop talking out of your ass. Post the proof or STFU & GTFO douchebag fucking troll!

17. Rand Paul, like his father Ron, STILL (in the year 2013), believe its ok for businesses to post "Whites Only" signs in their windows. There's no way in the world he will EVER be President in todays MODERN America.

18. Rand Paul, like his father Ron, STILL (in the year 2013), believe its ok for businesses to post "Whites Only" signs in their windows. There's no way in the world he will EVER be President in todays MODERN America.

19. Your mother is a whore.

20. Your mothers a whore.