Illegal Immigration

3501 Responses

Illegal immigrants are a convenient scapegoat for our economic crisis. But with free markets and private property, the need for immigrant labor becomes obvious. Most immigrants, regardless of the color of their skin, are open to the ideals of liberty: private property, free markets, sound money, right to life, low taxes, less war, protection of civil liberties, and a foreign policy designed for peace.

Ron Paul proposed the following action steps for dealing with illegal immigration:

1. Abolish the welfare state. The incentive to take a job at whatever wage available must prevail.
  2. Establish a generous visitor work program. Once we solve the economic crisis by introducing sound money, demand for domestic and immigrant labor will rise.
  3. Enforce the laws on the books with more border guards. Allow states and landowners to enforce the law and provide security assistance.
  4. Abolish birthright citizenship for children of illegal immigrants. [Current U.S. citizens will not be affected. Instead, babies born to illegals after a future cutoff date will no longer gain automatic U.S. citizenship. They will still have citizenship in their parents' home countries.]
  5. End all federal mandates on the states to provide free education and medical care for illegal immigrants.

3,501 responses to “Illegal Immigration”

1. Gen

I have both failed and passed amendments and bills such as this one on my law forum bulletin wall at school under politically incorrect facts.

Let's hope people learn how to do their research... and that I don't get shot for it. ;)

2. jeff jefferson

I would be interested to hear the reasons from the nay voters for voting against the bill.

1. West11

Intelligence-a severely lacking quality in government.

There is a lot of talk in Washington about intelligence, but little is ever seen. ©2009

Why would someone who is "illegal" by their mere presence pay any attention to those unnecessary laws? Everybody engaging in most of those activities has already broken law; adding another crime does nothing (no deterrent effect) but puff the chest of the idiots who presented it. The law will change no behavior whatsoever. Even if it is enacted five times: no effect.

Therein lies the problem with our government--the two majorly inept parties have only two solutions: throw money at problems in hopes it goes away until someone else is elected and pass an necessary law so they can brag they did something. They have no other answers; they have no solutions; they have no commonsense. They are the essence of all problems...

1. Gen

You're right there... they won't pay attention to the law, but we need to know who in Congress is there for the people they represent, which is why people like Cornyn introduce legislation like this. It's good to look at who takes stance where. Use it as a litmus test... too many people don't pay attention whatsoever.

It's also good to have it on the books to support our law enforcement officials. Lawyers rule the world; unfortunately you have to take it back this way or war. I'm afraid the latter may happen.

3. jeff jefferson

The problem with giving birthright citizenship is that if the children are American citizens and the parents are Mexican, when you send the parents back to Mexico who will raise the children. If they take the children with them, we will have American citizens being raised abroad, so basically, when those children reach adulthood, they will enter the U.S. as a legal immigrants. This scenario would put us back into the same situation that we have now with no legal means to deal with the problem.
    I don't believe amnesty is the answer, but I don't think that rounding up ten to twenty million people and deporting them is a realistic option either. I think the only practical solution would be to offer those Mexicans that are here a chance to apply for citizenship, but make it demanding. Make them learn english, pass a constitution test, and prove that they are willing to assimilate into American society. Also, they should have to prove that they have no criminal record, and the government will reserve the right to revoke citizenship at any time. This way we could weed out those people that would be a drain on our society.

1. Gen

In that case, you may find the following senate bill interesting:

Senate Amendment 1184
      Record Vote Number 187
      Sponsor: Sen. Cornyn, John (R-TX)
      Amendment Rejected
      Vote: (46 - 51)
      Date: 06/06/2007

Official Title of Legislation:
      S Amdt 1184 to S Amdt 1150 to S 1348: To establish a permanent bar for gang members, terrorists, and other criminals.
      Vote to pass an amendment that would prohibit undocumented immigrants convicted of aggravated felonies, domestic violence, stalking, violation of protection orders, crimes against children, or crimes relating to the illegal purchase or sale of firearms, from gaining legal status. Bars legal status to immigrants who have engaged in certain forms of identification fraud.

Hutchinson (R-TX) – Yea
      Cornyn (R-TX) – Yea
      McCain (R) – Nay
      Obama (D) – Nay
      Biden (D) – Nay
      Clinton (D) – Nay
      Reid (D) – Nay
      McConnell (R) – Yea

www.votesmart.org

1. West11

NAY.

2. Dasnuke

American Citizens by unfortunate accident of birth. Send them anyway, don't want to separate that family do we?

4. Kassie Galindo

Although i agree with Dr. Paul about most subjects on immigration i HIGHLY do not agree with taking away the birthright citizenship. The parents of the child obviously cared enough about their child to take them into the country and have them born where they can have a better life. In mexico there are plenty of drug wars and the country is just not a good place to raise a child these days. At least in America they can find a good job and raise a family and pay taxes just like any other citizen.

1. Dasnuke

Oh yes, just another free ride. If the child can make good, then mama and papa can be taken care of for life. I live south of Houston, all that I need hear is the news from there to know that many of the children are not making and often don't care to make it.
      In particular, two or three generations of welfare make it a legal way of life in many of their minds - yes shocking as it sounds, I have heard generational arguments of "that's the way it is supposed to be." It's almost along the lines of some of the East Texas White poor who firmly believe in the "it was good enough for my dad, and good enough for me and for my kids too" - talking about really poor paying jobs in this case. Both arguments held in the same E. Texas Class Room.
      As I said most money goes back home anyway, and often they will scoot back to Mexico for a periods of time when they have some bucks stashed away.
      Well, just press 5 for English.

5. john

I agree with Ron Paul on all subjects except immigration.
    We were all immigrants at one time or the other. If they are to recieve our benefits they should pay for them like everyone else.

We need them for the jobs Americans are to lazy to do. We all like to eat fresh fruits & Vegtables, meat & dairy products. We like to look at manicures lawns. Most children now a days do not know the meaning of work. We as parents are the blame for that!

If there are 10,000,000 ileagal alliens & they pay 10,000.00 dollars into taxes & insurance thats per year 100,000,000,000.00 in additional revenue yearly.

Insurance premiums would drop since paying policy holders would not have to flip the bill for free health care given by to them by the hospitals.

Yes we must secure the border to regulate future immigration but we must have a starting point,if we are to solve the problem.

Mexicans are not crossing the border to blow us up, they come to better their life. We should also try to stimulate our neighbors economy before worring about nations far away

They should learn the English language if they stay! After paying into the corrupt tax system for a couple of years they would most likely want to go back to their country.

1. Dasnuke

????
      Ever hear of Ellis Island?
      Ever hear of legal quotas?
      The crooked employers do not want them paying taxes or on any kind of book or record. Why? Figure it out. Then when you wake up you will understand that they can/will not pay benefits (which as a minimum double an employees cost to an employer hence why layoffs are the first thing done to cut costs). That better life is not a reality for the vast majority; heck most of the money they earn goes south i.e. home with never a tax paid.
      Bottom Line - Employer Greed is what keep em coming, not some pipe dream of a better life.
      And then there are all the killings that are done by the Coyotes who claim that they are gonna take those poor folks to El Norte, for a nice fee, only to get them some place and either kill them outright (they are the lucky ones) or lock them up in a trailer and abandon them to die of heat and thirst.
      Oh, we mow and upkeep our yard and home.
      Say there is an idea, lets get those folks who are sitting around drawing welfare and other government (our taxes) freebee money and put then to work doing what the illegals are doing.
      If they don't like it to hell with them, DRAFT them.

6. Jonfeld

I still don't understand ending bithright citizenship? Is that for all people? No one should be a citizen. Maybe we should have them have to pass a loyalty oath first. Or maybe check and make sure there aren't any foriegners in their family. Or any medical problems. Maybe we can then get rid of all these Brown people who keep coming over. This is ridiculous a fluid country where people enter and leave creates jobs and has jobs. Ron Paul is fine with exporting jobs because jobs don't belong to "employees" well this country belongs to it's citizens and what legal way did the Pilgrims come to this country? Or a whole host of people. Nativisim and Isolationism in our history have proven to be terrible tacks time and again. A free market but not a freedom to find a better life. This is the worst kind of fear mongering.

1. Mike

The reason for ending birthright citizenship is not to make it so all newborns are not citizens. It is to stop people who are ILLEGAL from coming in and getting healthcare and welfare from our taxpayers for free. It is rediculous to think that we should be responsible for the healthcare of the world when we can't afford it on our own. I am all for helping people out but I can't give them what I don't have. The same goes for a country.

1. West11

Ever heard of equal justice under law? Kill the birthright for one and you kill it for all.

If we start deporting all new-born's who is going to pay your SSI? [sarcasm]

7. Jackie

I wish that we could be a country all to ourselves. This country was a lot better place to live before we got so involved in the world. Charity begins at home...and this is my home...has been from birth. I've payed taxes all my life. Why should someone who has not supported this country financially waltz in and take what they want?!

8. Ryan Housley

After trying to align my views with one of the 2 main candidates for the past year, I have finally realized that I don't have to settle. There is someone out there that shares ALL of my views. I will be voting for Ron Paul in Nov. I pray that most American will do the same so that we can save our country.

9. Motorcyclek9

to SABERDOGA66...... I said the US can go ahead and put up the wall and everything but they are still going to come in. The problem doesnt lie in that there is no border security but in that we have drained their resources in their native countries. You are only trying to treat the symptoms of the problem but arent adressing the actual problem. Go ahead and put up the wall and cameras and all you want but also stop benefiting off their land and be willing to pay the higher cost for it(agricultural products mainly). If you dont know what I mean then read my original posting again.

10. saberdog66

wow, motorcyclek9, way to stay off topic. are you serious with what you're writing?? nobody blames the Latin countries for our current economic problems, at least not the informed public. the racists will always find someone to blame who isn't what they consider to be "Americans" i for one find it to be extremely shameful that a majority of the hard, blue-collar labor jobs are for the most part being worked by mostly latinos, while a vast majority of the public wouldn't even begin to consider applying for any of those jobs. my problem and what Mr. Paul is trying to explain on this issue of immigration are those illegal individuals undermining the citizenship process that so many other immigrants are following to the letter of the law. and why wouldn't we want to secure our borders anyway. you just can't go anywhere you want in europe or just about anyplace else without a passport or you leave.

but we cannot continue to allow illegals coming into the country using our hospitals to give birth and give that child instantaneous US citizenship. they are here by illegal means and have no rights to any of the benefits of this country. we have way too many of our own "legal" citizens having a hard go of things as it is. I think Ron Paul is dead-on with this topic.

11. thesmith

why don't we go to the source of the problem, Mexico's economy. If we can help Mexico strengthen their economy illegal immigrants would no long have a reason to look for greener grass. We need to be building bridges and not walls. I'm not suprized that McCain beat RP. Obama is my pick.

1. Dasnuke

I can see why B Hussein O is your man. Why don't you just hop on the next bus down there?
      Let them work on their own economy. Kill the greed and corruption there.
      Michael Savage did have a good idea; let Mexico send a couple of barrels of oil per illegal per month (free) to the states to pay for them. Lets see that could be up to 40 million bbls a month.
      That should help out the old family car.

12. Marc

I agree with every one of these points, except for the elimination of birthright citizenship.

Like you, Dr. Paul, I am a proponent of the US Constitution, and eliminating birthright citizenship goes against the 14th Amendment.

I do have a question. Is federal funding of a wall between US and Mexico unconstitutional or "pork barrel spending." If not, I feel that this is the most efficient, quickest way of curbing the illegal immigration problem.

1. Dasnuke

Gee Whizz, an Amendment can be errrr amended. If I had my way, it would require military service to be a citizen. All applicants must be accepted; don't mean that they must survive.

1. Marc

Yes, the 14th amendment is flawed; I think I would amend it to any citizen born in the United States from parents legally in the country (citizens or here on work visa type of things)... so I guess I do agree with ending birthright citizenship- I've done some thinking about it.

I wouldn't require military service - its involuntary servitude (slavery)... although we already have that through the income tax and the federal reserve, which both of course should be abolished.

a requirement of military service is far to forceful and coercive. My view is that if we have a free society, there will be an economic incentive (monetarily or utility wise) for the largest number of volunteers for military service in the case we need to fight to protect our freedoms.

I do support a wall being built, but also after some thinking, I think ending the welfare state is the quickest way to curb the immigration problem; the wall is merely a band aid on a bullet wound.

1. Dasnuke

"its involuntary servitude (slavery)" not really! It would be very, very optional. If you want citizenship, earn it- you then truly appreciate it. After all if you care enough to be a citizen, then you should have no problem with serving.
          Check the outs in the Constitution, there are/is an out regarding involuntary servitude - that is what made the Draft Constitutional. Of course part of the Citizenship/Military Service requirement would indeed be the total abolishment of the draft.
          The income tax is in the Constitution so how is that involuntary Servitude. Heck, we the people amended the Constitution to allow the durn thing.

I think that a free society would be served (and protected) by those who volunteer for Military Service and hence Citizenship.

13. PeteNelson

I agree with much of what Ron Paul stands for - enough so to write him on my ballot (a no-brainer after what the two main candidates decided to help mr. bush with his bail-out). And I do agree that ILLEGAL aliens need to be treated as law-breakers (they are, by the very definition of "illegal"). However, I personally think ending birthright citizenship is a move in the wrong direction.

I believe a strong economy comes from a strong workforce, and I believe a legitimate immigrant population contributes to a strong workforce. Tougher enforcement of immigration laws should be balanced by better enabling immigration legally. While the current birthright laws do cause a whole set of problems, I would rather see those problems addressed and solved, rather than simply throwing out this opportunity for citizenship (the very same opportunity I took advantage of when I was born!).

I believe the way to deal with immigration from other American countries is to help establish more just and equitable relationships with those countries. Help our own nation first, of course - but by helping our neighbors, we can build a more equitable America (that's two contintents, not just fifty states) for all it's citizens.

14. Joe

DoctorZ,
    Then perhaps they should not come here. If there is no chance to get here legally, then dang, fresh outta luck!

15. Joe

It seems like the wrong thing to say to get elected, but then again, Ron Paul tends to say what we all have on our minds anyway! Go Paul! I have an obama sticker, covered by a mccain sticker, covered by a PAUL sticker, to let everyone know how much we need more than just TWO TWO voices in american politics.

16. DoctorZ

No human being is illegal.

This is America, and we believe in life, liberty and the pursuit of happiness.

This reminds me of slavery; stop treating immigrants as second-class citizens. They can't come here legally; there's just no way.

Support the Constitution by supporting all immigrants on their path to freedom.

1. Dasnuke

"No human being is illegal."
      Talk about your Non Sequitur!!
      What is next, no human being is a criminal, a pervert?
      This is America alright, we believe in LAW! Or perhaps that thought is a bit above you?

1. West11

Yes, it is true, The USA is a nation of laws, not people as it was originally founded. The people no longer matter except to pay fr the extravagance of the political royalty. No different than medieval Europe.

2. 1111cb

that is why we use the term illegal immigrant. Their action of crossing a border without permission is ellegal and that makes their immigration status illegal. If you do that in any other country you get arrested and thrown in jail. We have kids in Iran illegally there in jail, no real recourse.

2. Christine

Our politicians need to follow the rule of laws and enforce them. They were written with purpose. They pledge an oath to the office of presidency to follow the constitution as well. That is not suppose to be like some marriage vows that are quickly set aside after the honeymoon is over!! (Although we see this is the case with Obama and Bush.) The American people expect the president will do as he says on the campaign trail and in the pledges he makes. There are laws governing immigation. They need to ensure they are followed so that we have life, liberty and the pursuit of happiness in this country, even for those who legally immigate to America! Otherwise, we will see a deterioration of life, liberties and the pursuit of happiness here in our land.

17. Nathan

Will people please stop quoting that stupid poem on that stupid French statue and read what, I dunno, JEFFERSON had to say about immigration? How about Hans Hoppe? That statue did not build this country; we did.

I say that as the descendant of legitimate Eastern European immigrants. Slam the borders shut NOW. Take the vote away from them NOW. They'll only vote themselves more federal benefits at our expense.

None of this requires a wall; only vigilance and determination on the part of dedicated personnel. The violence and lawlessness on the southern border must be stopped, else what is the point of any other effort at security? This is not about race; it's about not dying.

And please, for the love of God, somebody melt that bloody statue. Or at least stop using it's poetic language to support a position that would probably horrify most of the founders of our great country.

1. Roy

Amen Nathan

18. Mark Chase

Allen & Rhino,
    I don't see the conflict that you see in Ron's thinking. We have enacted laws for many things. Entry into this country as well a citizenship requirement laws are no different than any other. I do not see Ron as saying boarder security means no immigration. I see that he is saying we must have LEGAL immigration, as our laws require. We don't need to close or wall the borders, only follow our laws, require visas, check outdated visas, and not hire those who come to our country illegally. When this begins to be enforced in EACH American heart not just Uncle Sam's then the illegal immigration issue will subside. WE are the people and companies that hire and make it possible to live and work here illegally. Border security must begin within each of us.

19. Rino

I think it s a shame that RP takes this point of view on this issue. It is contrary to everything that libertarianism stands for. If I could vote in the election, Ron pauls immigration policies is reason enough not to vote for him. In most other cases, he is the guy with the ideas of the future.

1. Dasnuke

Oh yes I forgot. Libertarianism stands for pass the KY!!

1. longshotlouie

Karl would be proud

20. Allen Harris

We seem to forget that beautiful poem enscripted on the Statue of Liberty:
    "Give me your tired, your poor, your huddled masses yearning to breathe free."
    I have to disagree with RP on the immigration issue -- I live in Texas and immigrant wages are not significantly cheaper for any job worth having. I've also never lost a job to any immigrant.
    I have, however, lost jobs to overseas outsourcing that provides inferior quality work.

1. Dominic

And another good response! I agree Allen. Let's think about building a wall around jobs going overseas rather than dividing a neighboring country. I wonder how much money that's costing us rather than jobs being lost to illegal immigrants? It's funny how that whole stance of "they're taking our jobs" resonate. They mean to tell me that a day laborer is going to take their office job? Good point!

1. Dasnuke

Good Golly! There must be a good number of jobs lost to them, else, why so many here? Perhaps to rob us of our tax dollars.
        Again, it is not a matter of them taking the jobs, it is a matter of employer greed. Greed sure seems to have come home to rest now-a-days. Nail/Jail the crooked employers, and get those jobs paying a real wage. People will take them.
        Of course a lot of people are gonna have to make a major lifestyle change. Parents are gonna have to get off their butts and parent, and kids are gonna have to stop playing World of Warcraft all day long and take the jobs.

My first job was picking cotton along side migrant workers. They were not illegal and were some of the best people I ever met. Of course machines do that now. People can be here legally and work. But this slavery at the hands of Crooks has to stop. Americans work first then legal immigrants.

21. Oleg Tumarkin

I happen to not understand what is wrong with 60 million of the world's brightest, most ambitious people moving to USA. I think that would be wonderful. It would be great for America to get some fresh blood that would rejuvinate this country. 150 years ago America was spending lots of money just to convince people to move here and the country boomed. Why not create immigration policies that are effective in bringing only the people that would actually help our economy.
    I am an immigrant and a college professor, teaching business and entrepreneurship. Through me being here, not only did I become more successful, but so did this country. The immigration system is broken keeping the good out, while the troublemakers are not quite so easily detered. We need to fix it, but that does not mean shut it down.

22. Rich

TO Bridget and Damien, Ron Paul said, "End birthright citizenship. As long as illegal immigrants know their children born here will be citizens, the incentive to enter the U.S. illegally will remain strong." ... which I think means that (new) kids of illegal aliens will not have citizenship. That doesn't mean kids of people with Green Cards (people who were allowed into this country legally) will have a problem, as they will also have a Green Card, and will either receive citizenship when their parents get it, or if they are older than 18, when they get it themselves.

23. Casual Observer

Yeah right - Walls ALWAYS work! Berlin and East Germany are great examples. And how are you gonna round up everyone whose Visas expire? Answer: A whole lot of civil liberty violations, coming right at you. The US can't live in a vacuum - no country can! The sooner we learn that it's ONE world and we all live in it together, the better off we'll all truly be.

24. Huston Reagan

I am totally discussed with how our country is being ran. Being 66 yrs old I never dreamed america could get so screwed up. Common sense is all that is required but that does not exist in our 2 party dictatorship government.

After doing some research it left me with no doubt that you are what America needs to get us back on the right track.

You will have my vote for president of the United States of America, will be voting Independent this time. "Remember Common Sense"

1. West11

Then you are mature enough to understand how the two majorly inept parties destroyed the country over the last 54 years.

What is your next step? More complaining?

25. bridget

I disagree with getting rid of birth right. It was important in founding our country and I think is too much part of our idenity to split. Though I know Paul is a lover of individualism, I don't want to be a France and I love America's rich multiculturalism too much to part with it.

1. Dasnuke

In in early founding. However in the real early founding period, people were building a country, often in a militia, and/or working and fighting for their lives along with their livelihood. Time marches on.
      They came where there was no welfare state (legally) and fought and scraped their way up the class ladder during the industrial revolution. Things were very grim, those immigrants worked and worked be it in a factory or a mine. Did you know that at the same period of time i.e. Dicken's London for example, the death rate for the poor in NYC was three times that of London?
      Those people earned every bit of their citizenship.
      However, things have indeed changed, and we need to take a new look at things. I think that after the end of World War II, we should have amended the Constitution to birthright citizenship.

Aside - If we had, Obama would have had to serve in order to earn citizenship and run for President. There would not be this flap going on about it now.

Now, take a look at how many people get involved in simply voting in this country - NOT. The number is just too sad. For most people, I feel that there is no Citizenship identity, heck, for many it is below taking for granted even.

Yep, the Constitution has to be changed regarding Citizenship; however; it will also need to be changed to protect certain rights of the non-citizen. After all, most will choose not to become citizens, if in particular it requires military service; not the peace or job corps or any other pretense of government service, but hard time military - defend this country and earn the right to vote, run for office and hold government jobs- just like those who served before us.

26. ROBERT

i think i should be a law that if you don't have working papers or a gree card you should not be aloud to enter usa ...........

robert traina

1. Dominic

then that would impact the tourism that positively impacts our economy. Not to mention that it sounds borderline racist.

27. Fady

I believe that AIPAC is the real reason why ron Paul wasnot successfull in primaries...

28. David

This November I will put Ron Paul's name on my Ballot, unless Mr Caine drops out and then it would save me the trouble.

29. Glenn Snead

I say let's annex parts of Mexico and use these annexations to prove to the rest of Mexico that joining the US is the way to go. My reasons are simple: Mexico is a corrupt place and has been for over 500 years. We will never have a stable neighbor to our south unless a responsible government is in place, real US style property rights are granted, and the criminal element is hunted down and destroyed. None of these things are likely to happen with the present power structure in Mexico. Our best option is to annex. We've rebuilt Iraq's government, military, border patrol, etc in record time and it's not our country. Imagine how quickly we could rebuild Mexcio if we owned it!

1. Dominic

Now there's a thought...honestly, one of the more interesting solutions I've heard. Not sure how it would work, but its a solution rather than kvetching about something we have no control over in the first place. Kudos!

2. El Kanijo

Glenn,
      You mentioned that Mexico is a corrupt place for over 500 years? That number will place Mexico some where in 1509 circa. Mexico was conquered in 1521, the first city will come about 5 years after the conquest. Please read before you show the world how iliterate most North Americans are. BTW you are so naive if you beleive North America actually REBUILT by now the Iraqui goverment. It is a mess over there, the iraqui goverment IS really corrupt, and it's members are a bunch of killers and opportunists.

1. Charlie

El Kanijo,

Please do your own homework before you go bashing someone else. Under U.S. protection Iraq has had its first free election in decades. The infastructure in Iraq is a hell of a lot better than it has ever been. Job opportunities are open for men and women of various religious backgrounds. The problems in Iraq right now are not caused by Americans, they are caused by those who wish to keep the people of Iraq in a form of slavery by refusing education, forcing labor, and denying civil rights.

Way to be a hypocrite, congraultations on showing yourself to be the dumbest form of life on the planet.

30. Amanda

I support Ron Paul 100% on all issues.

1. West11

Lemmings are the reason the nation is crumbling as it is. Accept no other's as your thoughts--that's brainwashing.

1. longshotlouie

Race card lemmings as well.

31. Damien

I don't agree with getting rid of the birthright. You can still squash illegal immigration without doing that. It's not the fault of the child that they had parents willing to break the law to get a "better life". I think if parents do this they get a choice. Take the child back home with them but the child is still a citizen and can come back when ever they want or leave the child. I'm sure most parents would take the child back with them and the ones that choose not too probably shouldn't be allowed to have kids anyway.

32. Jack

Hi Pete,

To address your last question, "Why does illegal immigration matter?", let me start by saying that first, it is illegal, meaning that it is against the laws of the United States. There are many reasons why the law was written and is in place, but it is not meant to be punitive. what it means is that our country provides a legal means and set of procedures to be followed by anyone, regardless of race, religion, gender, etc., to become a citizen, and therefore qualify for all the rights and priveleges that are afforded one. The main issues today are that illegal immigrants siphon tax dollars from legal citizens in many forms; education, medical care, food stamps, and other forms. Do you think this is fair? Unfortunately, the procedures for becoming a citizen are long and cumbersome, and I do not think that is fair either. Overall, the system is in need of repair. Do you have any ideas? If so, then please run for office! :o)

1. West11

Jack, you failed to mention that alleged illegals do work lazy Americans will not do, that they are taxed at the same rate as their natural peers (and they really ask for a refund making them a high tax-paying group), they live in fear of deportation every day (despite what the media says), their motivation is a better life for their families--not breaking the law, most are more industrious and religious than the natural citizenry which makes them potentially better neighbors than the whiners who denounce them, the incidence of crime and drugs among illegals is no higher than other groups but they get caught more easily because they cannot blend like middle-class trash and their lazy offspring, that this nation was built by immigrants--not natural citizens, that the original immigrants stole the entire country from its true natural inhabitants, that race factors heavily in the hatred by whites toward illegals, that the right of freedom of movement is guaranteed and shutting the borders illegally infringes on that right (no matter what our socialist government says), people in the US are mono-linguistic and culturally bland (not mention myopic in their thinking) which plays into their inability to accept difference for its benefits, that Mexican heritage is a strong part of what is considered "the West" yet US citizens fail to acknowledge that reality, when people discuss illegals it is a code word for Mexicanos even though the president has illegal relatives living in the US.

If one has not experienced a US embassy from outside the US, then they have no idea how meaningless their existence is to the US government. The idea that anyone, without IBM, MSFT or some other politically connected group, could legally immigrate is a fallacious absurdity.

The picture of immigration is far from clear and all points are debatable if discussed with an open mind (a rarity). The current debate and the hatred of alleged illegals in the white community is fueled primarily by the fact that those racists can no longer legally focus their mal-intent on blacks. Whose next? The Hmong?

1. longshotlouie

Your race card is tattered.

2. Charlie

West,

You're an idiot. Plain and simple. Illegal immigrants are not taxed, I'm not sure what fairy tale world you live in that makes you believe that *ILLEGAL IMMIGRANTS* give into the system in which they so feverently rob from, but in this little place I call *REALITY* that simply isn't true.

I understand that you are biased because you blame the government for your misfortune. You blame the "white man" for your streak of bad luck. When in all actuality you need to point the finger no farther than your own mother and father, and at yourself. Had you been raised with better values, better morals, and a better drive of personal responsibility, you would probably be a better citizen of this nation. As it stands now, you're just another screw up mooching my tax dollars.

1. Dawn

*applauds Charlie*

Indeed, West is a buffoon. I'm betting he's a liberal heart-bleeder living in a bubble. Mr. West, I hate to break this to you but...white people aren't the ONLY folk fed-up with the Illegal situation. There are many Hispanics here in Texas whose ancestors came here LEGALLY who consistantly speak out against illegals.

My point is, before you go flapping your jaws and labeling all of us white people racist and/or ignorant, perhaps you should actually get off your mother's couch and go talk to some everyday hard-working LEGAL Mexicans. I'll even be happy to point some out to you if you care to come visit. You see, unlike you, I believe in being INFORMED straight from the source.

3. kitty

West11,

Your points are the same ones that I brought to the table, and anyone who has had contact with these people can attest to. Fear and prejudice is the only valid reason someone would bash another the way you have been for bringing up what is really going on. Most people do not wish to open their eyes, it might change their life. I hope that you, Pete, actually research both sides of this argument, and find the truth for yourself. I do agree with RP that there should not be any social service benefits for immigrants, but I feel that social services should be junked anyway, so that point does not really matter, then. If there is to be true reform, many of our systems should be thrown away and begun anew, since reforming them does not work, we have tried it ever since they were created.

1. Dawn

I'm sorry Ms. Kitty, but fear and predjudice doesn't factor into MY opinion of illegals. How dare you imply such? First of all, ma'am, I live in a state that is innundated beyond measure by illegals. People whom I would give my last shirt to help IF they obtained citizenship LEGALLY. Secondly, there is a right way and a wrong way to ask for help. The right way is to be HONEST. The wrong way is to sneak into this country like a thief in the night and abuse our generosity by leeching off our system of health care, welfare and the like. There again, if these people were HONEST and waited in the INS line like the rest of the HONEST people out there, I wouldn't even bat an eye helping them.

So, you ma'am, owe people like ME who cannot get any help from the social system if I ever NEEDED it because the system is already over-run by illegals, an apology. Take your fear / predjudice comments and slap yourself in the head for being yet another narrow-minded nincompoop.

33. Claude

Pete,

Check this out:

Illegal immigration is in the process of turning the US into a third world country with a small ruling elite, a small middle class and an impoverished majority.

Almost everyone will be worse off, except the ruling elite (a divided and poor people is easier to keep under control) and illegal immigrants who are still better off than they would be in their home countries.

Therefore the policy should be "no amnesty", "secure the borders", and "give them incentives to return home".

34. Pete VanKlaveren

My name is Pete VanKlaveren and I'm an 8th Grader at Alderwood Middle School in Lynnwood, Washington.

I am doing a research project and my essential question is "How Does Illegal Imigration impact the US, and what should the policy be?"

I was wondering if you could share your opinions with me, to answer a few questions. If you can't, do you know anyone who could?

What do you think some large impacts are from illegal immigration on the US?
    What sould the policy be on illegal immigration?
    Why does illegal immigration matter?

Thank you very much for taking your time to red this. I look forward to hearing from you.

Sincerely,
    Pete VanKlaveren

35. Thomas J.

Ron Paul on the Immigration Question:

1. Roberta Neilan

For those of us that are deeply concerned about the devastating effect of illegal immigration, I suggest you organize and express your opinions. We can no longer trust our government.
      E-mail your complaints and concerns to you representatives. This can help you start your own campaign to stop the madness of illegal immigration.

Also, join an organizaton to act in mass. The best grassroot activism group is NumbersUSA.com. They will get you started and empower you to actually make a difference. At least check out the site.

2. RICHARD FLOREZ

this is an posting i was replying back to someone i wanted to share it with you extract what you can and bring it forward to there attention it is first stating about what is at hand nearing our border in texas...HOW FAR FROM THE BORDER IS CIVILIZATION ON THIS SIDE IN TEXAS? SOUNDS PRETTY BAD....YOU KNOW WHAT WOULD DISCOURAGE THEM IS CEAZE UP THERE POSSESSIONS, HOUSES, CARS, AND EVEN BELONGINGS THAT ORANIZE THEMSELVES IN THESE MATTER AND AUTION THEM OFF, THE MONIES AND POSSESSION CAN GO BACK INTO THERE ENFORCEMENT AND MAYBE SOME BONUSES IN THESE DRURASTIC TIMES WHICH WOULD BE INCENTIVE FOR THEM TO KEEP THEMSELVES FROM BECOMING CORRUPTED....THAT WOULD BE DISCOURAGING KNOWING THAT THEIR MONEY ISNT GOING TO GET THEM FAR...PEOPLE THAT GAIN MONEY THROUGH ILL GOTTEN GAIN DONT LAST LONG ENOUGH TO ENJOY IT WOULD DISCOURAGE OTHERS FROM JOINING OR OTHERS FROM FORMING. I NOTICED THEY HAD A TIP LINE SOMEWHERE TO REPORT SUCH PEOPLE, THE PEOPLE NEED TO FORM A COMMUNITY WATCH BUT A REAL LOW PROFILE ONE TO GUARD THEMSELVES FROM THERE THREAT(POSSIBLY AT A LATER TIME DEPENDING ON HOW BAD THE SITUATION IS IN THERE AREA). . THOSE PEOPLES EYES NEED TO BE OPEN AND KNOW THAT THERE COPS OR WHATEVER THEY HAVE ARE THERE FOR THEM. THEY ARE NOT COMBATING WITH THEM FOR NOTHING. IF THEY WANT PEACE THE COMMUNITY NEEDS TO COME TOGETHER AND BE EYES AND EARS FOR ONE ANOTHER, THEY CAN GO ABOUT DAILY BUSSINESS AS USUAL BUT PAY ATTENTION AS TO WHERE THESE CRIMINAL LIVE AND WHAT IS THERE DAILY ROUTE BUT ON THE LOW-DOWN SO THEY DONT GET THREATEND THEMSELVES. THEY CAN USE T.V OR RADIO'S TO BROADCAST TIP LINES TO REPORT CRIMINAL CONDUCT.
      THE QUESTION THAT I WOULD ASK MYSELF IS WHAT ARE THEY RAGING WAR FOR, DO THEY WANT TO GET ACCROSS THE BORDER OR IS IT THERE COUNTER ATTACK BECAUSE THEY ARE NEARING TO RAID THEM.
      I GUESS TO CLEAN THIS UP WOULD BE LIKE THE BOY THAT WALKED ALONG THE SEA SHORE AFTER THE STORM AND THROUGH THE STARFISH BACK INTO THE SEA ONE BY ONE, EVEN THOUGH THERE WERE SO MANY. ONE CARTEL AT A TIME NOT JUST THE LEADER! BLOCK BY BLOCK, CITY BY CITY. IF ITS ANYTHING LIKE AMERICA WE HAVE COPS AND SHERRIFF'S TO PATROLL EACH CITY WHICH LEADS ME TO THIS CONCLUSION IF THEY WERE MAKING BETTER USE OF OUR TAX MONEY AND DOING THERE JOBS IN WHICH THEY GET PAID FOR BY THE PEOPLE THERE WOULD BE ALOT LESS CRIMES. AFTER ALL THAT IS WHY WE PAY OUR TAXES! I WENT TO THE SHERRIFF DEPARTMENT HERE IN SAN JACINTO AND WHEN I DROPPED OF A LIST OF PEOPLE'S ADDRESSES AND TOLD THEM WHAT IT IS FOR THEY LOOKED AT ME AND SAID WHO WAS I? LIKE I AM NOBODY TO INFORM THEM. I THOUGHT THAT IS WHAT COMMUNITY WATCH IS FOR! TO MANY SHERRIFFS IN THIS LAND AS WELL THE INDIAN CASINOS HAVE CURRUPTED THEM AND NOW THEY TRAVEL TO DIFFFERANT CITYS IN WHICH GIVES THEM AN ADVANTAGE FOR AN INSIDE SCOOP FOR RAIDS SO THEY DONT GET RAIDED OR PAY OFFS, IF WE DONT WATCH OUT IT WILL BE NO DIFFERANT THEN MEXICO ITSELF. COPS ONLY WORK WITH WHATS IN THERE CITY SHERRIFFS ARE MORE BROADER AND ARE MORE PRONE TO TAKE CORRUPTION IN OTHER CITY'S AS WELL. THE INDIAN RESERVATIONS NO LONGER HOLD CONTRACTS WITH THEM SO THEY ARE NO LONGER ABLE TO PATROL THERE LANDS COPS DO RAIDS, HAVE SWAT, AND GIVE TICKETS. WHATS BAD IS EVEN THEY ARE BECOMING CORRUPTED ALSO. I BELIEVE THE INDIAN RESERVATIONS STOPPED THE CONTRACT WITH THE SHERRIFFS DEPARTMENT FOR THE USE OF A COVER UP!
      I HEARD WHEN PEOPLE GET PULLED OVER THE SHERRIFFS EVEN HAVE THE GUTS TO SAY THAT THEY ARE NOBODY TO RAT OFF THOSE INDIANS, AND THIS IS WHAT THEY DO TO THE MEXICANS THAT ARE HEAR, BECAUSE THEY FEEL THAT THEY HAVE NO RIGHTS, HOWEVER A TICKET COMPARED TO SOMEBODY KILLING SOMEONE OR SELLING DRUGS AND AMMO TO PEOPLE IS A WHOLE LIGHT LIGHTER MATTER. TALK ABOUT SWALLOWING A CAMEL AND CHOCKING ON A NAT. A WINKING ONLY AT A LIGHT MATTER AS IF ITS NOTHING. DONT KNOW WHY I AM WRITTING ALL OF THIS BUT I DID.
      ........................................................................................................................................
      THE SAFETY OF OUR BORDERS IS A VERY IMPORTANT ISSSUE, BUSH DID START BUILDING THE WALLS AND ALSO ADDED MORE BORDERPATROLS AND I BELIEVE THEY ARE STILL HIRING MORE FROM WHAT I HEAR.
      WHEN CHOOSING BORDER PATROLS I FEEL THAT THEY SHOULD ONLY USE AT LEAST 2ND AND 3RD GENERATION AMERICANS SO WE KNOW THEY ARE FAMIALIAR WITH THE LAWS. WHICH MEANS THERE PARENTS NEEDS TO BE AN AMERICAN FOR AT LEAST 30YRS. THIS WOULD HELP CLOSE THE WINDOWS OUR OWN BORDERPATROLS OPEN FOR DRUG DEALERS TO PUSH THROUGH AND AS WELL BRING OTHERS OVER.....
      I HEARD A STATISTIC THAT SAN BERNADINO COUNTY ALLOWED 600,000 PEOPLE TO BECOME US CITIZENS IN 7 YRS. THAT IS ALOT OF PEOPLE AND IN MY OWN OPION TO MANY. EVERYBODY KNOWS THAT THEY HAVE BIG FAMILYS.
      DO THE MATH JUST THINK IF WITHEN 30 YRS ALL 600,000 PEOPLE HAD AN AVARAGE NUMBER OF CHILDREN OF 4 THAT IS 2,400,000 PEOPLE IN SAN BERNADINO COUNTY ALONE....NOW THINK OF HOW MANY OF THEM GET WELFARE, LETS SAY AT LEAST HALF OF THE 600,000 PEOPLE WHICH IS 300,000 (IN MY OWN OPION MORE LETS JUST USE THAT AS AN EXAMPLE) FAMILY OF 4 GETS ABOUT 700.00 A MONTH ON WELFARE AND TIMES THAT BY 300,000 THAT IS 210,000,000 A MONTH THAT GOES OUT TO THEM ALONE.NO WONDER WHY WE ARE HAVING A CRISIS.
      NOW THINK ABOUT HOW MANY WORK SAY THE OTHER HALF 300,000 AT THEN CUT THAT IN HALF FOR ONLY ONE SPOUSE WORKING SO 150,000 PEOPLE SO THAT IS 150,000 PEOPLE THAT ARE TAKING OUR JOBS THAT HAVE JUST BECAME CITIZENS NOT TO MENTION THOSE THAT ARE NOT. AND THOSE FIGURES AINT EVEN THE AVERAGE PROBLY. CRAZY WHEN YOU THINK ABOUT IT ALOT OF OUR TAX DOLLARS IN WHICH WE HAVE PUT IN AND OUR FOREFATHERS HAVE PUT IN IS BEING USED FOR WHAT OTHERS DID NOT PUT IN. NO WONDER WHY THEY WONDER IF WE ARE GOING TO HAVE ANY MONEY FOR SOCIAL SECURITY IN THE FUTURE. THE PROGRAM THEY NOW HAVE IS NOT A SELF-SUFFECCIENT PROGRAM TO KEEP AMERICA OUT OF THE DEFFICIT. I GUARENTEE I CAN HELP WRITE ONE UP THAT CAN WORK!
      ALSO BORDER PATROLS, POLICE DEPARTMENTS, SHERRIFF DEPT. ALL SHOULD HAVE A FAMILY BACKGROUNG CHECK BEFORE HIRING. IF THERE FAMILY MEMBER IS A KNOWN TO SELL DRUGS USE THAT ONE TO TRAIN HIM WHEN THEY GO OUT TO DO A RAID THIS WOULD ALSO DISCOURAGE THEM FROM BEING THE INSIDE SCOOP AND BECOMING CORRUPT.
      ALSO THE BORDER PATROL SHOULD ONLY HIRE 2ND AND 3RD GENERATION AMERICANS OF COURSE THE ONES THAT ARE LONGER THEN THAT. THIS WOULD HELP THEM BECOME FAMILIAR WITH THE LAWS AND ALSO HELP CONCENCRATE THEM FROM THE CORRUPTION IN WHICH THEY HAVE LEFT THAT WAS IN ANOTHER TOWN. BIBLE DOES STATE THE GENERATION CURSE FALLS TO THE THIRD AND FOURTH GENERATION. THIS MEAN IF YOU WERE TO USE THE 2ND GENERATION BOTH PARENTS WOULD HAVE TO BE A CITIZEN FOR 30YRS BEFORE THEY CAN BECOME AN OFFICER, BORDER PATROL, MAYOR, CITY COUNCIL AND SOFORTH. THERE ARE PLENTY OF JOBS IN WHICH THEY CAN WORK FOR THE TIME BEING TILL THERE YEARS ARE IN.....SAME THING FOR CASH-AID/WELFARE MONIES THIS WOULD HELP DISCOURAGE THEM FROM ABUSING THE SYSTEM AND BRINGING MORE OVER OUR BORDERS, AS WELL AS ALLOWING THEM TO PUT IN ENOUGH TAX DOLLARS IN TO START TO RECIEVE SUCH MONIES FROM OUR SYSTEM, THIS IS IN MY OPION WOULD BE A START FOR A SELF-SUFFICENT AMERICA.HELPING TO END OUR DEFICIT....I HAVE PLENTY OF MORE IDEAS OR MORE THAT I THINK WOULD HELP BRING THIS PLAN TOGETHER I AM GOING TO SEND THIS ALSO TO MIKE HUCKABEE AS WELL TO MAKE SURE THIS IS LOOKED INTO. I NOTICE YOU DONT HAVE A CONTACT EMAIL SO IS THE REASON I AM SENDING THIS TO YOU HEAR I MAY END UP GOOGLE SEARCHING IT TO PASTE THIS THERE AS WELL, WELL RON PAUL GOD BLESS AND I WILL BE LOOKING FORWARD FROM HEARING FROM YOU....

1. El Kanijo

Mr. Florez,
        By your last name, and the way you express yourself in your comments above, I will be assuming you are a 4th of 5th generation in the USA right? well, let me tell you that being a 4th or 5th generation has NOT help you write in English. I have never see SO MANY misspelled words, and lack of proper grammar. YOU definitely could not be hired by the INS. And please Mr. Florez NO ONE writes in upper case, unless you want to EMPHASIZE a point.

1. Band Together

I agree, but this is my take. I think that with the way things are going "now a days", we have no choice but to keep silent. We are crowded with these men and woman that cross our boarders! I live in Houston,Tx and I have to say that even though it is not as bad here as it is in San Antonio,Tx. I for one feel I have no voice.
          They crowd our welfare lines and hospitals! They have bill boards and radio stations and t.v. stations that are more like a 2:1 over our english. If the Goverment wants more money, lets start taxing them more! I hknow it comes off as hate a little bit but the line has to be drawn.
          They come here and rape our way of life and expect us to pay for your kids and teach them in our schools while our own children come home and tell us that they don't understand something their teacher teaches them cause it's in spanish! Sorry I kinda outburted there. But something has got to give. Do we lay back and watch our nation cont. to ignor us as our state falls to crime and drugs? I think not!
          We need a strong person that listens to the people. You don't see German t.v. stations or French! Why Spanish? If they love our way of life some much, why is it that when they get here they try to make it look and feel like Mexico? Damn we should just envade Mexico throw in a Burger King and a Wal-Mart say it's Texas and everyone would be happy!

I would love to hear from you Ron Paul and let me know what you think? Thanx everyone.

John S.
          Houston,Tx.

1. Christine

We dont' reward lawbreakers. They have to follow the law if they want to become citizens. Our government is at fault for not drawing the line at the border! English IS America's language. I used to work for DSHS in Community Services. Foreigners would call in their native language and expect I would know what the hell they were asking for! No English, No help.

I worked for a community college favoring minorities from every land. The Director signed letters approving "free money" for them to pay for their college education. It is policies like this that are so very wrong. The money comes from Americans (taxpayers) who would like to go to college themselves, and could if our government didn't give our money away to others who have not contributed to our country and may not after graduation! They can take their free college education back to their homeland to benefit themselves and their native country or compete in our job market for our jobs.

2. West11

Please learn some Internet etiquette, especially if you expect anyone to read your thoughts. On the web, caps are the equivalent of shouting. No one listens to shouters. Hence, your message fell on deaf eyes ...

3. Basia

Can't read your too loud post. Stop using the capital letters if you would like your posts read!

3. omar garcia

This country has put the majority of its ppl down in the dumps a divided country is easier to rule your not going to loose your job house everything we have worked so hard to obtain no instead we cry like babies complain to our selfs no one can help us last time i checked the ppl make this country if a sea of people demand for change dont expect the goverment to do it their in it for them selfs just like an average person LETS STAND UP TOGETHER AND DEMAND CHANGE AND NOT ACCEPT"OH WE HAVE TO DISCUSS IT IN A COMITEE"what a load of BS all this change should of came years ago but we were living it up now we are all in the hole and we shouldnt be divided lets be open about it as citizens to all our issues in our country WAKE UP AMERICA OUR COUNTRY IS BEING STOLE RIGHT UNDER OUR FEETS {omargarcia480@yahoo.com} i got tons of ideas right or wrong lets have a much needed debate within the people not senators or represenatives or the president he is only pres.for two terms 8 years can do alot of damage thank u for reading my people of american FREEDOM COME WITH A PRICE {REVOLUTION}WHO IS WILLING TO STAND

4. kitty

I disagree with this considering our nation was built by "illegal" immigrants. I believe a better option would be to offer nationalization to all immigrants that wish it. We should be humanitarian in this as well. How can we quote the words on the statue of liberty and then offer these types of solutions?

1. Charlie

It must be interesting to be so ignorant. Offer nationalization to those who chose to ignore our laws and regulations? Seriously? You can't be that dumb.

This nation was not "built" by illegal immigrants. This nation was built by people who came here, worked hard so the next generation could have a better life. If they didn't learn English they didn't get out into the public, they didn't expect the nation to bend to their inability to assimilate. They understood that they were giving up large volumes of their lives for a better tomorrow for their children.

The illegal immigrants of today don't share that quality. They expect workplaces to have spanish speaking employees, they expect hospitals to take care of them on the taxpayer dime. It's complete BS, and people like you who offer up nothing more than a bleeding heart are more of a problem than the solution.

Please, for the love of America, go suck start a pistol. You are hurting this nation more than you are helping it with your uninformed, under-educated ideals.

1 2 3 42