Illegal immigrants are a convenient scapegoat for our economic crisis. But with free markets and private property, the need for immigrant labor becomes obvious. Most immigrants, regardless of the color of their skin, are open to the ideals of liberty: private property, free markets, sound money, right to life, low taxes, less war, protection of civil liberties, and a foreign policy designed for peace.
Ron Paul proposed the following action steps for dealing with illegal immigration:
- Abolish the welfare state. The incentive to take a job at whatever wage available must prevail.
- Establish a generous visitor work program. Once we solve the economic crisis by introducing sound money, demand for domestic and immigrant labor will rise.
- Enforce the laws on the books with more border guards. Allow states and landowners to enforce the law and provide security assistance.
- Abolish birthright citizenship for children of illegal immigrants. [Current U.S. citizens will not be affected. Instead, babies born to illegals after a future cutoff date will no longer gain automatic U.S. citizenship. They will still have citizenship in their parents' home countries.]
- End all federal mandates on the states to provide free education and medical care for illegal immigrants.