Illegal Immigration

Illegal immigrants are a convenient scapegoat for our economic crisis. But with free markets and private property, the need for immigrant labor becomes obvious. Most immigrants, regardless of the color of their skin, are open to the ideals of liberty: private property, free markets, sound money, right to life, low taxes, less war, protection of civil liberties, and a foreign policy designed for peace.

Ron Paul proposed the following action steps for dealing with illegal immigration:

1. Abolish the welfare state. The incentive to take a job at whatever wage available must prevail.
  2. Establish a generous visitor work program. Once we solve the economic crisis by introducing sound money, demand for domestic and immigrant labor will rise.
  3. Enforce the laws on the books with more border guards. Allow states and landowners to enforce the law and provide security assistance.
  4. Abolish birthright citizenship for children of illegal immigrants. [Current U.S. citizens will not be affected. Instead, babies born to illegals after a future cutoff date will no longer gain automatic U.S. citizenship. They will still have citizenship in their parents’ home countries.]
  5. End all federal mandates on the states to provide free education and medical care for illegal immigrants.

3,498 Comments:

1. I personally do not know any Native Americans, the closest one would have been my girlfriend in sophmore year in high school who was 1/8 Cherokee but looks like any regular Irish girl. So for this many people on this website to Voice so strongly about "illegal" immigrants so blindly and with so much hate and ignorance is beyond me. How many of you are actually natives? You or your not so distant ancestors are all "wetbacks" from all corners of this world. Those off you from Northern European roots who may feel that your shit don't stink please check your closest trailer-park to look for close family relatives. I am a 3rd generation, but my parents and grand parents never let me forget my roots or their struggles and sacrifices for their American dream. It is those who are too lazy or stupid who takes their priviledge of being born in this great country for granted. I strongly agree with Ron's foreign policy because I don't believe that Israel is OUR chosen land and that we need to continously defend those who put others in concerntration camps with our weapon and our name.

2. i wrote two paragraphs, the bottom one is the beginning lol

3. The only handouts my parents ever received from the government was the hospital stay from when my mom had me and my siblings and I dont even consider that a handout since our property taxes paid for it. I should still vote and support for Ron Paul because I know its the best for my country but I am not an ungrateful child of immigrants. I can support his illegal immigration position except for the no amnesty part. I have cousins and friends who are still illegal and came here at a very young age. They speak no spanish and have no contacts in Mexico. They are better "Americans" than some "true" americans I know. The presidency cannot be won without the support of the Latino vote. We are now the swing vote. Don't believe me? Check out the 2008 elections statistics. The Latino Voting bloc breaks the tie. After all Latinos are now the biggest minority in America. The League of United Latin American Citizens will not back Ron Paul because of his position and neither will I unless he changes his position. However, for the same reason why I respect Ron Paul and extremely wanted to supported him, is the same reason why I know he will not change his position. He is a man of his word and I do not expect him to change his position, therefore unfortunately I will have to vote for Obama. I really wish I had not stumbled on the FOX page that highlighted his immigration position. I could not believe what they wrote, so I came here. But for the record, I still hope he kicks all those other republican nominees a$$e$!

• @Michael Lugo I agree with you 100%.... Ron Paul could have been a great president and could have been named among the greats like Abraham Lincoln for making a big difference in this country. I support him 50%.... The only thing is that some of these Immigration policies are inhumane. Even though he says he is for human right these policies are
      Contradicting. I know he can't change his policies at this point because he will get a lot of supporters angry. He could have won my vote, but he leaves me no choice but to vote for obama. What a shame :-(

• traditonalamerican

@Michael Lugo

If your friends are such true Americans then they should have no problem going through the proper channels to obtain there citizenship. If they have been here for years and started the process years ago they probably already would be citizens. You sound like everyother illegal immigrant. You make excuses for why you don't do things the proper way and that is why we have to go to drastic measures to keep people in check.

• @traditonalamerican Its not that easy... One of the points that I do agree with Ron Paul is to make it easier to obtain visas and papers in order to encourage people not to cross illegally. But for the people that are here it is difficult or else don't you think they will be doing it already. For my friends situation they have to leave the country between 7 months to 10 years... He has a kid that goes to school and a wife that he supports. He has no family in Mexico and does not have enough money to start a life over there. And like everyone that loves there family it is had to separate for ten years if that were to be the case. So what do you suggest???

• @traditonalamerican@Michael Martin Luther King made excuses, John F. Kennedy made excuses, Paul Revere made excuses to disobey the crown, the founding fathers of this great country made excuses to become "terrorist" and rebel against the crown, the truth is just because an action is illegal, doesnt make it wrong! I agree lets fix the immigration problem but since we ALL agree that there is an immigration problem, how the F can you expect for someone to follow it? You can build a fence, you can patrol the rio grade, you can send troops to the border, you can set the border on fire and use land mines to stop people from crossing over, but the truth of the matter is that as long as the US southern border is Hell, you will still have illegals crossing over to the US. Even if it means risking their lives! OOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOo and dont you even get me started on DOING THINGS THE RIGHT way, when the entire libertarian view is founded on liberty! These illegal immigrants are just expressing their liberty of migrating and ignoring the federal government liberals so much hate

4. What a shame....I was really looking into Ron Paul. I like his foreign policy and domestic policies. I was really enthusiastic about him. I was going to have a hard time deciding between him and Obama, but now I can not vote for him. I know I should vote for him because his policies can really do good for American but I first and foremost a sympathetic human being. Of course most Americans will never understand what it is to be an illegal immigrant. They only hear what the mainstream media tells them. Let me educate some of y'all. First, illegal immigrants pay all the same taxes you do. Come on do you really believe the IRS will allow 10-20 million people live without paying taxes? The only difference between an illegal immigrant paying income taxes and a legal person is that they do not receive an income tax check at the end of the year. The GOV keeps all that extra money. Hospitals and schools get payed by housing and sales taxes which we all have to pay regardless of your status. Not to mention the billions and billions of dollars illegals pay into social security and will never have a chance to collect, so there is some more extra funding for the gov. Second of all, if any of American realized the poverty in Mexico or other countries you wouldn't blame them. You tell your child he cannot eat today or have a piece of candy because there is no money and, explain to your child why you live in a house made with occasionally heated water to take showers in. Living in conditions like that how can you blame them for coming over? The Legal Process takes at least 5 years but average 10 years to be able enter the US. You think the economy is bad here, in those countries there is no such thing as unemployment or government help and, in those countries like Mexico, the recession never ends. My cousin works in a factory in Mexico and makes $8 american dollars a day. You try living off of that and I bet you would be the first person to try and jump that border to the land of opportunity. Just to give you an idea on how determined these people are here is my parents story: my mom and dad left Mexico at the age of 18 by themselves, not knowing if they will see their parents ever again, not knowing what to expect when they got here to the U.S. My mom swam across the rio grande 5 months pregnant, risking my older brother's life and walked 200 miles. With only the clothes on their backs and ten dollars because they knew anything would be better than the hell they came from.

5. I was proud that we didn't have to check in with anyone when traveling to or from Canada and I hoped it would be like that on our southern border too. (It was just like going to another state.) Does Ron Paul think that the states in the United States aren't really states because we can travel freely? That's just nuts.

6. @Daniela_Madriz Illegal mean Illegal . "They" brake our law as soon as they step foot across the border. They deserve nothing from the American people. GET IN LINE AND WAIT LIKE EVERYBODY ELSE. And once there LEGAL I/we will not have a problem.

7. When will everyone understand that citizenship has nothing to do with where you live. For example, I was born in Germany to U.S. parents on an airbase. I had dual citizenship until I was 18, which is the same type of citizenship babies of illegal immigrants would have - dual citizenship for Mexico and the U.S. THERE IS NO REQUIREMENT THAT THE BABY HAS TO REMAIN IN THIS COUNTRY. Even though I had German citizenship I moved with my parents to the U.S., just like babies born here can move back wherever with their parents. At 18 the now adult can make a final decision on what country they want to be a citizen of and begin with signing up for military service (men and women) and paying taxes.

8. mark smith minnesota

The local police should have the authority to arrest and deport. Send Mexico the bill for the jail and deportation cost's

We need the jobs they are stealing. They work for less and still get assistance from the gov,

• @mark smith minnesota Well for one Mexico don't have enough money to spend on that. If local police stated Doing that many people will be angry and start riots. No one is stealing jobs. What it is, is that there are less jobs out there. I read about a company that took their company to china and layed off 100,000 American employees. Yet
      No one blamed them for taking away those jobs. Instead of blaming immigrants go and address the government or these companies that are taking away the jobs. Of course they work for less they have no other choice. I never see any Americans there with them trying to survive like them.

9. @CarolFryer It is true that the government is spending money in many places that they should not be. There is huge amounts of waste going on. Waste is part of the reason I don't feel simply trying to increase the boarder control is enough or the first thing that needs to be done. As long as there is a need for workers in the US and a surplus of workers elsewhere we will always have illegal immigration issues. That is why I feel we need a guest worker permit program- one that would allow these workers to be taxed.

10. @jjohn Yes I did take responsibility for all the immigrants that I sponsored. Amazingly none of them cost me or the US government any money. The one is now serving in the navy and the other is a citizen that is contributing to society. As to the comment of my halo turning into a dunce cap I never proclaimed I was being a saint an angel or anything else, rather sharing my personal experience- not simply taking the word of others never experiencing this process.

11. Totally agree with you workinman2. This country has got to put the brakes on and reevaluate several things including immigration that are destroying what being "American" is all about.

• and what is being "American" all about? America is the melting pot of all cultures, as far as i know, "American" is all about foreigners and their cultures, oh yes and being tolerant of each other.... am I correct?

@Billinglady

12. One more thing..... WE HAVE TO LEARN "SPANISH" TO GET JOBS THAT WE ARE QUALIFIED FOR.....THINK>>>>>BILINGUAL>>>>> not Polish, Japanese, Chinese,Italian,... but "SPANISH" now that should be an indicator that we have accepted too much ...but they are not required to speak the language here, this should be the other way around, bet you better learn their language there!!!!!!!!!!!!

13. @ ALICIA, here's the deal, we understand the desperate attempts to "CAPITALIZE" on opportunities but, this is the point, have no illusions that the immigration laws here have not been "MANIPULATED" in "SPANISH"... so if we have children in the U.S. they can't kick us out because our children will be "'citizens"....not so and, this is an immoral teaching of parents to their children to be "LAWBREAKERS" !!!! Don't we have enough "CITIZENS" here that already break the "LAW" we surely don't need outside help and we don't sneak drugs into this country we use them manufactur them and are no better than anyone else in that matter,but people seem to think that because of their intentions to work or make a better life for their families that they can be justified for breaking the "LAWS" of "TODAY"they say to "BLACK" people get off the 500 year old slave boat then "MEXICANS " and all other "ILLEGALS" need to get out of the "PITY PARTY"....look at the rules and laws of Mexico why should we accept anything less, I feel sorry for the children of "ILLEGAL IMMIGRANTS" but if the parents are "ILLEGAL" that makes their children "ILLEGAL" too...bet we can'y pull that in "MEXICO" and furthermore I could care less about people taking risks to survive here ...."JUST DON"T COMPLAIN WHEN YOU GET CAUGHT" cause when we (CITIZENS) get caught we get separated from our families too. "FOR BREAKING THE LAW" period!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

• @WORKINMAN2 you're right the law is the law. But that don't mean it is right. Some time ago there were whites treating blacks and other minorities terrible watch the movie "the help" and would I say that was right. Just because it's that law don't mean it's right. Laws can change and we need to change these laws cause they are inhumane. Just think about this: an "illegal" immigrant that was raised here since birth, born in Mexico doesn't know any Spanish grew up knowing nothing but the American culture and is a straight A student... U mean to tell me u would kick that person out to a country that he or she has no idea how to it is. Why are they suppose to do if they aren't allowed to be here and can't survive over there. ???

14. @mjrAK47 Aint that the truth, for sure.

15. In reply to the statement about genetically engineered seeds to destroy the farming in South American nations, Ive read about this. We have all seen how the manufacturing has worked over the last 50 years or so. Things are created to fall apart faster and faster so even if the price stays even on something you have to replace it much faster. With food the price is held and its more processed and you get less in the package. With clothing, the material is thinner and cheaper and the designs are targeting the youngest of Americans. And the material to sew things yourself has gone sky high. I read about these people engineering seeds to become impotent by the second planting or so so that poor nations would have to go back to get fresh seed again more quickly instead of saving their own, because their own just is no longer potent. So this is not just with Mexico, this is a world wide thing that has been going on for many years. My gutt tells me that this genetic engineering of seed and pumping animals and fowl with growth harmones to fatten them up is slowly killing us. These people are not only slapping us in the face but God himself. They are saying, God, you didnt do it good enough. We will help you whether you want it or not, whether they want it or not. But that is a whole other issue. To blame illegal immigration on that is a farce, because this is all over the world, not just Mexico and South America. Its Africa, its across the seas. Everywhere.

I do blame our own government , because they have been encouraging it for a long time.

16. @Daniel Monge Just a reminder to everyone. Not all immigrants , illegal or otherwise are from mexico. Remember Canada? They are also considered immigrants. Anyone who is not from the UNIT ED STATES OF AMERICA and comes from a DIFFERENT COUNTRY is an IMMIGRANT. It is NOT unfair in ANY way to the Mexican's as EVERYONE who wants to move here from a different country will have to go through the SAME process! To the idiot spewing non-sense about America Hates Mexicans and they do a shitload for this country - America doesn't hate Mexicans. It hates having to carry the ILLEGAL ones on its already broken back, SAME GOES FOR IMMIGRANTS FROM CANADA, AFRICA, MADAGASCAR,RUSSIA,POLAND,ITALY, YOU NAME IT - THEY ARE CALLED ILLEGAL FOR A REASON. Get off your racial profiling high horse because nobody is listening.

17. For all who are bleeding hearts for anything "ILLEGAL" no matter the intention take a look at the "LAWS" concerning "ILLEGAL IMMIGRATION" in Mexico for starters or any other country for that matter........

Under the Mexican law, illegal immigration is a felony, punishable by up to two years in prison. Immigrants who are deported and attempt to re-enter can be imprisoned for 10 years. Visa violators can be sentenced to six-year terms. Mexicans who help illegal immigrants are considered criminals.

The law also says Mexico can deport foreigners who are deemed detrimental to “economic or national interests,” violate Mexican law, are not “physically or mentally healthy” or lack the “necessary funds for their sustenance” and for their dependents. ANY QUESTIONS?

18. A true libertarian/ free market stance would stress open legal immigration to all law abiding people. The idea of free trade across borders includes labor.

• @Aaron Webster First of all, no it doesn't and I don't know who put that idea in your head that somehow Libertarianism trumps the preservation of the Republic but for argument's sake, when it comes to living in a welfare state where there are goodies to be had for the asking, when people draw these benefits who didn't pay into the system, the state goes into the negative. Sound familiar?

19. BTW I came across a website called change.org and I posted a petition on it regarding E-verify and HR2885. It received like 85 signatures, yet the website change.org has hundreds of petitions from illegals demanding their rights and their freedoms in the US and all those petitions received thousand upon thousands of signatures. Says a lot about their determination and agenda.

20. Well stated James! Illegals come here for a better life but not because they want to an American.