Education

773 Responses

Ron Paul works towards the elimination of the inefficient Department of Education, leaving education decisions to be made at the state, local or personal level. Parents should have the right to spend their money on the school or method of schooling they deem appropriate for their children.

On November 14, 2008 Ron Paul said in a New York Times interview:

“First, the Constitution does not authorize the Department of Education, and the founders never envisioned the federal government dictating those education policies.

Second, it is a huge bureaucracy that squanders our money. We send billions of dollars to Washington and get back less than we sent. The money would be much better off left in states and local communities rather than being squandered in Washington.

Finally, I think that the smallest level of government possible best performs education. Teachers, parents, and local community leaders should be making decisions about exactly how our children should be taught, not Washington bureaucrats.

The Department of Education has given us No Child Left Behind, massive unfunded mandates, indoctrination, and in some cases, forced medication of our children with psychotropic drugs. We should get rid of all of that and get those choices back in the hands of the people.”

Note: This summary of Ron Paul’s position has been determined to be incomplete! Contact us to join RonPaul.com as a voluntary editor. Help us set the record straight and keep this page up-to-date.

773 responses to “Education”

1. Longchamp Kate Moss Ladbroke

Its unusual for me to discover something on the web thats as entertaining and fascinating as what youve got here. Your page is lovely, your graphics are great, and whats more, you use source that are relevant to what youre talking about. Youre definitely one in a million, keep up the good work!

2. James Morrow

I always liked Roh Pauls politcal views and this post on education is absolutely to the point great job to the Ron Paul team.

3. wholesale Giants jerseys

china cheap Chargers jerseys Made In usa Outlet Coupon

4. horny matches

It discussed ‘self-actualization’ longer than it should have, which
    is a really sudden gear-away from the primary concept of the program regarding
    what to do in a relationship. As it’s a first date, make small
    talk. Because everyone makes mistakes, and those who refuse to learn from them get themselves into bad decisions.

5. cheap wall art london

Hi there! I could have sworn I’ve visited this site
    before but after browsing through a few of the posts
    I realized it’s new to me. Anyhow, I’m definitely happy I found it and I’ll be bookmarking it
    and checking back frequently!

6. avis

I think the school system really sucks. I have three children who go to school and the majority of the teachers think they can talk to your kids any way they want. now if you go and talk to them the way they talk to your child they would be upset. they feed your kids half the amount of food they need .i want to home school but i do not know how to get started since my kids are in three different grades.

1. Sally

Homeschooling is a great option and it is very possible to do it with three kids in 3 different grades. If you would like tips on how to get started, please contact me.

7. bridget Fonda nude

It’s going to be finish of mine day, except before end I am reading this
    fantastic piece of writing to improve my know-how.

8. マークバイマークジェイコ

オシアナス カシオ マークバイマークジェイコ http://wangzhecoa.onlinecheesejp.com/

9. http://essayswritingservices.tripod.com/buy-essay.html

You really make it seem sso easy with your presentation
    but I find this matter to be actually something that I think I
    would never understand. It seems too complex and very broad
    for me. I’m looking forward for your next post, I will
    try to get the hang of it!

10. jhon
  11. Brad
  12. Brad

Educate yourselves!

13. Mark Anthony Edgette

Statics prove America is the second dumbest nation in the world duck the doe and their false teaching

14. Brad

Here’s the evidence of why your not so smart!

1. Brad

Another example of the corrupt system!

15. Kylee

woah, i dont think no child left behind should be gone but i believe that teachers, parents, and kids should at least get some say in how they should be taught…. teens are bored! kids are bored! who wants to sit and listen to the same boring stuff? no body! who wants to have mean or boring teachers that either have no emotion, love giving out pointless work when we could be pursuing our dreams, no enthusiasm, no excitement, they are brainwashed teachers, and they’re brain washing kids and teenagers! we arent prepared for the real world, i have no idea how to pay bills and im not fast with simple addition or subtraction, division, or mutiplication and thats what we need most in the world, not a bunch of X’s and Y’s or E’s or F’s. no no no no, schools arent teaching us jack….. so many of my friends want to drop out because school to them is boring, cruel, teachers love using their power over us, teens and kids are CRUEL and the assignments, projects, etc., SUCK! school sucks and we need some damn good teachers who can make education fun and worth while, not boring and not worth anything…………

1. William Norman

I’m teach Algebra 1, Algebra 2, and Pre-Calculus in a public school. I formerly taught AP Calculus as well. One of the folks commenting on this site said that he or she had trouble with addition, subtraction, multiplication, and division, and we should keep the ‘x’ and ‘y’s out of it.

In Algebra, the course that introduces variables and functions, arithmetic is used daily. In fact, I find that most of my students who are weak in arithmetic, especially negative numbers, gain strength in those basic skills while solving algebra problems. Well constructed math problems not only improve arithmetic efficiency in students, but also improve problem solving skills and logic.

Also, there is a positive correlation (math term) between level of math achievement and salary in the real world. Adults who completed Pre-Cal earn more than those whose highest level of math was Algebra 2. Adults who completed Calculus earn even more.

We should not rob our students of the opportunity to take upper level math courses at the high school level; however, we should offer vocational math opportunities when Trigonometry and Calculus are not a good fit.

I applaud Dr. Paul’s effort to build a quality home school curriculum, but I am concerned that some parents who are not strong in Algebra and Geometry are not highly qualified to teach those subjects, even with curriculum materials. If you are home schooling your children, and you are weak in math, please consider hiring a professional tutor to fill in the gaps.

16. Brad

No one pays attention any more!

17. Brad

Same perspective!

18. Brad

A broader perspective that everyone missed!

19. Clarion Call

[...] budgets while others are pushing to bring us back to the Bronze Age with such bright ideas as cutting the Department of Education, while simultaneously, I suggest a different [...]

20. Brad

What are the teachers teaching when thay are dumb downed and brain washed

21. Matt

Sign a petition to eliminate the DOE.

22. Electing Faithfulness part 9: Our Future is the Hands of our Students | CALEB COY

[...]  “The smallest level of government possible best performs education,” says Paul.  “Teachers, parents, and local community leaders should be making decisions about [...]

23. Alex White

You guys are missing the largest flaws in education there is. First off, the whole “The government wants to take our god away!” Stop it. Using religion as a basis for any argument will only cause you to lose credibility. Again, I am not saying that I’m atheist or whatever, I do believe in god. However, using god as an argumentive asset is never a good idea.

Ahem

Now, the problem with education is Standardized testing. Instead of creating an environment which allows students to grow into intelligent beings, schools instead drill facts into your head so you can pass a state mandated test. In Texas it is the Cscope and STAR/TAKS test. All we do is study that which the state mandates. Is there room for intelligent discussion? No. Because god forbid you try to converse about something other than what is on the state’s agenda. And that’s the problem. We don’t need more teachers, or more schools. We need better teachers and different schools.

Students naturally WANT to learn. But the educational system places you in an environment in which it is unfavorable to learn. Let me tell you this, I am 17 and I learn more in one day of sailing or working with my father than I will in an entire semester in highschool. No, that’s not hyperbolic.

Today teachers will continually tell us formulas and facts that frankly I could just google. A good example of what a proper school day should consist of: “Class, today we will build a turbine.” This way students will be able to apply things like arc length and tangents. It is this application of formulas that will truly allow us to learn. You want to know the number one question asked in Math Class? “When will we ever use this?” The answer the teacher gives us “It’ll help you in college if you want to be an engineer or a math major or something like that” Well, yes. But that doesn’t answer my question. However, if you build, or create a turbine then you will truly know when, how, and why you will use the previously mentioned formulas.

That is only one of many examples. We could go through and analyze every flaw of each core class, but the principle is the same. We need to beocme more intelligent, not more knowledgable.

Highly rated. What do you think? Thumb up 33 Thumb down 6

1. Sean

As a teacher, I really appreciate your insight and independent thinking, and I agree with most of your principles and even your complaints. However, I have one riddle for you. What do you call someone who says, “Today, we (myself and 25 teenagers) will build a turbine?” An engineer who makes at least 3 times as much as teachers do. Also, who is going to pay for the materials for assembling the turbine? The amount of spending on education is increasing almost exponentially, yet teachers are more and more limited in their supplies due to the fact that most of the money gets wasted on crap that is only designed to theoretically improve standardized test scores.
      We have the SAT and ACT. If students are scoring high enough on these tests to get them into college, and yet the professors are complaining that the students aren’t prepared for college once they get there, why is the department of education’s solution to create more and more standardized tests? Why aren’t we holding the SAT accountable for not reflecting the level of thinking required to be successful in college?
      I would love to do more hands-on things in my class, but I’d be lucky if half the students had the level of interest that you would, and lack of interest leads to destruction of property and liability. Since it’s all on the teacher, good luck to us.

1. Rachael

To Sean
        You are missing the point. I feel that the “turbine” comment was in fact just an example to illustrate how “hands on” approach with math is so much more substantial. Math is able to make sense when it is put to the test. Kids will also remember a lesson much longer if they have the chance to engage. That is a major component missing in the classroom. The teachers generally talk “at” the student and expect student to memorize oodles of information that the students don’t feel is useful. The style of learning currently taught in the school systems are only for two types of learners, everyone else falls through the cracks.

2. DonaldDriver

The problem with your analysis – and I have to admit it’s more constructive than most conservative “thinkers’” – is that you are removed from the realities of the teenage mindset, as well as the local flavors to education. By local I don’t just mean that kids from Wisconsin get a better education than Texans, but that within a Wisconsin school there is a huge amount of variation within each department in terms of what is being taught (which is good). Kids absolutely need structure, if you don’t know that, you’ve never taught. In order for a teacher to pull of something like building a turbine, the kids needs to know some math, some materials science, some circuits, some torque equations, etc. Now every good physics teacher is going to hit those topics, and then may speak to the engineering as a way to assemble all of the ideas in one space. I’d say in order to get a few kids into engineering and get them jobs at GE or Northrop Grumman, you’re going to need to introduce them to heavy duty math, trig, calculus, problem solving.

1. DonaldDriver

Watching a turbine being constructed will get them absolutely nowhere in terms of college – and frankly it shouldn’t. Most kids who dominate mathematically could use that knowledge to construct your turbine. The converse is not true. A kid could be mechanically gifted, but have no idea how to find a derivative. I agree that the Dept of Education could be disbanded. The problem with conservatives is that they are so fixated on teachers as the enemy that they don’t realize that they have not even understood the problem. We have schools in inner cities that are failing. Inner cities have minorities in them. It is with these minorities that the problem exist. And when I say minorities, I mean blacks and to a lesser degree hispanics. I’m not talking about Indians, not talking about asians.

1. DonaldDriver

SATs and ACTs will be useful as long as they have some predictive power about that student’s likelihood of success in college. If anything, they are probably more valuable now than ever, since grade inflation is rampant. Students graduating in 1958 almost never had 4.0 GPAs. Maybe the valedictorian, one other kid maybe. Now if you don’t have a 4.0 you’re in the bottom 70% of your class. It’s ridiculous. One last point: within every school there are teachers who have high standards, and work hard to have their kids succeed. Within a science dept, you will have teachers that push their kids, and some who don’t. Typically kids can gravitate towards the teacher that matches best with their desires. Kids who just want to pass chemistry take teacher A. Kids who will go on to take AP chem will take teacher B. No one needs to transfer to the charter school across the street. That’s a cop-out. That’s making excuses for your own mediocrity. That’s subterfuge to destabilize public education for political purposes most often linked to religious ed advocates, although I applaud you for steering clear of the topic.

24. Mike

We don’t need an educational system that teaches creation myths in science class. To borrow from Dawkins, should we teach the “stork theory” as an alternative to reproduction?

Linking the teaching of established science in science class with a state of “slavery, where government is our master” is absurd and not worth rebuttal.

The educational system need not “brainwash” us into blindly accepting things with no evidence to support them, religion does a fine job itself.

1. DonaldDriver

Exactly. Evolution is the single most important topic in biology. It is a unifying theory which allows us to integrate chemistry, molecular biology, geology, physics, genetics, behavioral science, etc. I have taught in a few districts where other teachers warned me that the community would not support the teaching of evolution. I did it anyway, because to avoid that topic would do too great an injustice to the kids. They can learn creationism in church. Faith is not science. It has no place in school.

25. April

We don’t need a Department of Education that mandates removal of the Bible from our schools and puts X-ray machines in instead. We don’t need a Department of Education that pushes evolutionism instead of teaching actual written history. We don’t need a Department of Education that tells us God is the enemy and it is our friend. What is the Department of Education going to educate us on? Is it going to teach us there is no God, only government? Is it going to brainwash us into slavery, where government is our master? I have no Master but the Lord. Yeah, kill the Department of Education. I need the Lord’s wisdom, not humans elevating themselves and strutting around arrogantly.

Hotly debated. What do you think? Thumb up 6 Thumb down 18

1. Sean

You also have the freedom to go to church. The government doesn’t tell you that God doesn’t exist, it tells you that science class is not an appropriate setting to discuss religion, art, philosophy, or music (things that are not falsifiable).

If you want God in public education, it’s not because you want God in your life (you’re obviously getting a very healthy dose of that), it’s because you want to force God into the lives of those who choose not to accept him.

1. DonaldDriver

Perfect response

2. DonaldDriver

Poor April. You are very tormented and guilty. You can sit in class and ask questions still. I always invited kids to challenge the data presented about evolution. Unfortunately it is hard to refute, and it does not necessarily mean that there is no God. God and science can coexist – but it does mean that God did not create man in his present form. Now you do have a book which describes how all animals were created at the same time, and a story about an ark housing dinosaurs – but those are strories with no way of proving them. On the other hand there are millions of pages of data supporting evolution. I am confident that you will never understand the science behind evolution to understand it, so I won’t waste my typing energy – but suffice it say that if I do teach creation in high school it will be the Arapaho Indians’ depiction of the Earth being carried on a turtle’s back. How can you dispute that one. Or maybe the titans coming out of Zeus’ head. That is hard to disprove too.

26. Brad

Rand Paul what you stated on April 27, 2012 is fair but now on August 30, 2012
    I dare say both your credability is in doubt as it is well known the captain always goes down with the ship and without our captain by September 1, 2012
    I believe you we have lost our country. Our ship is leaking and will be at the bottom of the sea before the 2012 election as the world can clearly see. As of a couple of days ago you’ve kind of lost your way. It appears to me for your gain and our demise. If the fuse is lit why are you blowing on it? Ron Paul as an independant is our last true hope of 2012, it should have been 2008 but we are ready now for Ron Paul and like dominos lets tip them and watch as we and the world fall into place. After 100+ years of deception and brain washing let Ron Paul finish the renaissance of change and Freedom begin correcting over 5 generations of corruption, deceiption and greed be corrected in the future generations.

27. When Will US Attack Syria? All The Evidence to Justify Attack is Bogus! | The Santos Republic

[...] and for the elimination of the U.S. Environmental Protection Agency, Federal Reserve, and Department of Education, and the emasculation if not elimination of the Federal Trade Commission and Food and Drug [...]

28. temizlik

Sorry for the huge review, but I’m really loving the new Zune, and hope this, as well as the excellent reviews some other people have written, will help you decide if it’s the right choice for you.

29. Lasonya Decaro

Awesome share. i’m going to carefully try and apply this way of working to my website about credit cards for poor credit purposes.

30. klik

I’m curious to find out what blog system you happen to be working with? I’m having some minor security problems with my latest website and I would like to find something more risk-free. Do you have any solutions?

31. Ian

This right here is my only issue against ron paul. By this logic wouldn’t the quality of a childs education be determined by how well off the community they live in is. I think education has tons of problems but it should be used to give children unbiased nessecary information to prepare them for adulthood. Including arts and some potentially controversial subjects for no other reason than being prepared to be a functioning part of society regardless of the person they decide to be.

For example. I dont have a problem with people choosing not to believe in evolution but they should at least know enough to understand a conversation about it.

Without being aggressive if anyone would like to explain to me how im wrong in thinking this is how it would work i would love to hear what you have to say.

1. Scott

Hi Ian. I think the first thing I would say is a child’s education, as part of their overall well being, is not a collective responsibility. Case in point, you are not responsible for my three daughter’s education or the quality thereof. My wife and I alone are responsible for our children …. period.

Indeed I may need the aid of others to accomplish this great task but a transaction is required for this service (nothing is for free). You and I have no right to another individual’s services, or products for that matter (if we think we do then we believe in some form of slavery). If I can’t get the desired educational services where I am located, and my children’s education is important, I am going to have to make a decision to move or educate them myself. This all assumes I am doing my part in generating the necessary income for this required transaction. If I am not then I should not have had children.

The question is, do I have a right to force people to pay for my child’s education if I don’t want to move, educate them myself or find a way to pay for it? Forget about government for a moment. Would I actually personally invoke force on those around me to educate my children? If I say “no” to this question, then why in the world I hire and gun (i.e. government) to do so for me?

I submit there are cases where people are truly “stuck” in life and need our assistance. I get that. But you and I can better make that decision locally and offer our time, talent and resources voluntarily based in the real need.

The only time I am willing to use force on another is when they are taking another individual’s right of life, liberty and pursuit of happiness. I would do this apart from any government.

1. Ian

So it’s not that people oppose public education or are trying to cut down teachers necessarily. It’s the belief that the federal govt doesn’t need to have its hands so deep in it? I can go along with that.

I always try to look for an example of a positive time in history to model things after. Seems like American education was at its best in the 50′s and 60′s and that would attest to this policy.

Fair enough.

2. Michael Braud

Based on your argument, no one should help anyone, anytime, for anything.
        If I see a person being disenfranchised by the state government or the federal government, but it is not disenfranchising me, I should do nothing to help that person.
        Part of “promoting the general welfare” as described in the Preamble of the Constitution is a responsibility to properly and uniformly educate every child in America, regardless of socioeconomic status, allowing all the chance to achieve at the same levels later in life.
        It is most definitely the state and federal governments’ responsibilities to ensure this even distribution of education.
        Your “right” to teach your child whatever you want to teach them ends with putting them in public education. Your “right” to providing your child with more than other children ends when you accept the government’s hand out of borderline free education.
        When you put your child in state run education facilities, you are just as much a part of the educational welfare system as all of the people you are saying you shouldn’t have to help.

1. DonaldDriver

As a former teacher I obviously defend education as an institution, but education was not originally an inherent right for all. It was begun almost immediately as a way of keeping kids from falling into the Devil’s hands by having too much idle time. It was a way of keeping kids occupied in the colonies when there were no chores to keep them out of trouble.

Conservatives now just want vouchers to afford them a larger tax deduction to allow them to send their kids to a religious school for cheaper than they’re paying right now. I say that if you’re getting a tax break (tax expenditure), you need to obey the same rules as all other schools taking tax dollars. All kids are admitted then, and all kids have a right to teacher’s aides if they are struggling with a subject. If they need an interpreter, the school needs to supply one. If people need to spend more tuition to fund those kids’ tutors, so be it.

Now if you don’t want to abide by those rules, you don’t get tuition vouchers.

3. DonaldDriver

Scott – you’ve reasoned this out well, but I would use the same response that I used in the right to life forum: we live in a society which includes food stamps, medicare, medicaid, social security disability insurance, unemployment insurance, etc. Get rid of all support networks, and I can agree with you on some level. People will so motivated to learn that I think the rest will take care of it itself. The fact remains though that if you live in Arkansas, and your entire state does not teach biology, or science for that matter, because of some local beliefs, then you may not graduate one engineer, scientist, computer programmer, doctor for a generation. Arkansas will likely be that much poorer because they don’t value education. Now if I have to pay for your lack of foresight, I have a big problem with that. Education is going to be more and more important in the U.S. as we lose our last few remaining manufacturing jobs. I don’t trust huge swaths of the country to spend any money at all educating kids – like the state of Florida. If I’m 90, I vote for no schools at all.

1. Ian

So this isn’t a matter of states rights and smaller govt. Its all about everyone for themselves and economics determining who gets an education and opportunities?

2. DonaldDriver

Scott has used all the phrasing from libertarian dogma, and pretty well I might add. I do think that there are times when people might spontaneously decide to form a school district, supported by taxes. Anyone who did not want to partake in that district would be free to move to Mississippi where taxes are very low in part because the state has decided that education is not important. I am making that statement up, but the point is don’t move to Vermont if roads, hospitals, and schools are not important to you.

I would challenge Scott on one point. If Scott chooses to home school his kids and he does a poor job, and his kids cannot read or write, and they have no marketable skills, do I have to support those kids? If you get rid of medicaid, medicare, welfare, food stamps, and all other forms of social support, then I can agree with him. As long as we as a country take care of those human failures, I cannot support his thinking. Compulsory education is important if we all pay for those miscreants.

1. Cam

Ron Paul is the man.

32. Debora Albero

I like what you’re doing here, but I have to take issue with your assumption that “If the Lord was with him, wouldn’t he have avoided the crash altogether?” First of all, the Lord works in mysterious ways. Other than that, this is just the dude’s reverend thanking God for his friend’s safety. You’re trying pretty hard if you’re going to pen even his reverend as in on it all. And I’m not saying that you should ignore him just because he’s a reverend and supposed to be a good person, I’m just saying that the reverend is going to be pretty far removed. He probably just showed up at the hospital to see his friend, talked to him before reporters got there, and then was the only person the reporters could interview at the hospital.

33. This Site

Get pleasure from the entry you given.. Best Seo Expert Orange County Resource http://www.orange-county-seo.com Liking the weblog.. thanks for your insight Isn’t it fantastic when you acquire an excellent publish? sure, investigation is paying off. Pro Seo Expert Orange County Resource

34. sildenafil citrate medication treat

Hi, Neat post. There’s an issue along with your web site in web explorer, could check this… IE still is the market leader and a huge portion of other folks will leave out your magnificent writing because of this problem.

35. david ramos sento la tua mancanza

You made some very first rate factors there. I regarded on the web for the dilemma and located many people will associate with together with your internet site.