Education

20107 Responses

Ron Paul works towards the elimination of the inefficient Department of Education, leaving education decisions to be made at the state, local or personal level. Parents should have the right to spend their money on the school or method of schooling they deem appropriate for their children.

On November 14, 2008 Ron Paul said in a New York Times interview:

“First, the Constitution does not authorize the Department of Education, and the founders never envisioned the federal government dictating those education policies.

Second, it is a huge bureaucracy that squanders our money. We send billions of dollars to Washington and get back less than we sent. The money would be much better off left in states and local communities rather than being squandered in Washington.

Finally, I think that the smallest level of government possible best performs education. Teachers, parents, and local community leaders should be making decisions about exactly how our children should be taught, not Washington bureaucrats.

The Department of Education has given us No Child Left Behind, massive unfunded mandates, indoctrination, and in some cases, forced medication of our children with psychotropic drugs. We should get rid of all of that and get those choices back in the hands of the people.”

Note: This summary of Ron Paul’s position has been determined to be incomplete! Contact us to join RonPaul.com as a voluntary editor. Help us set the record straight and keep this page up-to-date.

20,107 responses to “Education”

1. Lex Rex

HI Bud,

I'm not sure how the loan policy would be affected. However, I understand Ron's position is that the federal government has no constitutional authority to manage education in any way. The 10th amendment states that "The powers not delegated to the United States by the constitution, nor prohibited by it to the states, are reserved to the states respectively, or to the people". See the top of this page for Ron's statements regarding education.

2. Lex Rex

How would Ron Paul eliminate the Department of Education? Or any of the Departments he wants to eliminate?

3. NE Carpenter

I am on the fence, I really like Ron Paul. I some questions and some concern. First, where are the states going to get monies to fund all of the public schools? How are there states going to do that if they are bankrupt. And what about states like Connecticut that has a lot of money? A child can not get a good education unless he lives in a wealthy state? There is going to have to be some money passed to the states through the Fed, even in the form of aid. So then the Fed must allocate money per state and essentially, wouldn't that be a 'department of education. Is the plan a situation where, the state has to apply for some fed assistance? Because I think we all know, it will take way too long, and that third grader who had to share a math book in his public school, will have just completed his freshman year in high school by the time that third grade class receives money for a math book, which is now made in China, and at the end of the day, the states in need will still be deprived. I do not think education is an area that we cant leave unfunded, I am not saying federally fund schools, but, you will have to explain to me how this can work. Kids and education are our future. We need smart kids, the smartest. We have huge problems and it is going to take smart kids to solve them. Sell me! I am a true independent. I will vote for any candidate. I DO NOT CARE which side he or she may be on.....because we are all on the SAME DAMN' SIDE! We are Americans. We have one of the best countries in the world to live in. I voted for Obama last time whom i believe isn't necessarily the problem. The main root of the problem is that these "sides" that people keep defining by pointing fingers, will not work together. I pound nails for a living. I am the 99%. So I shout, "HEY WASHINGTON! I AM YOUR BOSS, REMEMBER! And Ron Paul If you want my vote, you promise me that you do the job I am hiring you for, and you will work with the elected official...not, work with the republican or the democrat, or a member of any other party.

Convince me,

-NE Builder

1. Lex Rex

@NE Carpenter

HI NE Carpenter,

Many states have a budget shortfall and the Federal gov. has over 16 trillion of debt.. According to Wikipedia, "For 2006, the ED(Dept. of Education) discretionary budget was $56 billion and the mandatory budget contained $23.4 billion. As of 2011, the discretionary budget is $69.9 billion." Instead of paying for the federal level of education, let's use that money at the state level to support our students. It is my belief that all money for any government program comes from you and me. Let's bring our money as close to home as possible so we can put it to good local use.

2. edibleplanet

@NE Carpenter Since the Constitution doesn't allow for taxation and Ron Paul will work towards getting rid of the IRS you will have much more money in your pocket with which you can then pay for your kids to get the education of yours and their choosing. It all comes down to personal responsibility. When we begin the process of liberating each of us from the dictates of the "majority rules" mindset we open the doorway for personal liberty, personal responsibility and personal prosperity to flourish. Can you honestly say that it is anyone's responsibility to pay for your child's education? When you begin to look deeper at what True Liberty is and it's ramifications, you will begin to understand that it is the only logical and True Path for us to follow.

4. Thasway

I totally agree.

5. Sevag P

Sorry Ron Paul, but education is what got all politicians where they are today. Cutting it would make education even worse than it is right now. In my opinion, the United States should mainly focus on educating kids. Not depriving it!

1. 1984or1776

Our schools should focus on education, not our government. Our school system was much more competitive worldwide before the Department of Education. @Sevag P

6. FreeAsianInMerica

Obviously the Dep of Education is like the EPA; they are both not doing their jobs. Though it definitely needs to be eliminated, don't we still need National standards for education? These would be few, and very broad of course, but we can't have a few states doing amazing, and others struggling.

I'm assuming if the Dep. of Edu is eliminated, states will still receive funding from the National government, spent with their discretion of course. Anyone else think it would be a good idea to have a sort of Delegates of Education thing going? As in, a majority (2/3? 3/4? 1/2?) Would have to agree on guidelines for all states to follow. As a nation, we also have to start grading harder. Kids in France are held back at least one grade in their career up to graduation. Way too many kids in my classes need to be held back in classes. In a class full of 10, 11, and 12th graders (In a nationally ranked High School) I found an enormous amount of basic grammar mistakes. They might as well be illiterate that's how hard it was to finish reading their stories.

PLEASE comment if you like the Delegates idea, or just want to discuss with me :)

7. quen10

The federal Department of Education must be booted out of the states because of its ineffectiveness. Public schools need to educate their children with the basics. The No child left behind ACT must be removed because we can't let children move on to the next grade if they didn't perform well...Many believers say that its a democratic ploy because democrats just want republican money. Dollars Do not make SCHOLARS!!!!

8. Nancy2010

Yes, the Department of Education needs to be done away with. Can anyone show that this department initiated in 1976, has been beneficial to students? Let me see the numbers showing improvment in the education of our youth. Also, please explain how they can lose so much budget without anyone spending time in prison.

9. JoeThePharmacist

Ron Paul is the last shining hope in this country. This is it. Goodbye United States if he doesn't win because it's bye bye currency. That maybe scarier than a nuclear war.

1. BenLong

@JoeThePharmacist I would completely agree. I had zero hope for America until Ron Paul showed up. It's a wonder I never heard of him in 2008!

10. glo

I think that private school promote this "gated community" mentality, what we should be striving for is are national standards that make the country competitive and give every student at equal opportunity to reach their educational goals. While it sounds great to "get those choices back in the hands of the people" this assumes everyone is equal, that we all have a fair shot at a good, quality education.

11. tale1695

@tale1695 Many state governments are beginning to introduce online learning into the state's educational curriculum. I am from Idaho. In our state, every hour that we have where students are taking classes online, the school loses money, regardless of the fact that we have to create a new 'site proctor' position in order to have the class. Students are even required to pay a fee to the state for taking an online class. States are just looking for new ways to decrease funding in the schools. In many states, education isn't even the first priority. I know our governor, C.L. "Butch" Otter, has cut education throughout the state to please his constituents in Southern Idaho. There is absolutely no better way for state governments to save money than to switch from public schools to private schools, even if it may mean a worse future.

12. glo

killing the public school system is wrong and will hurt the working class. do not privatize education!

1. Banditnation

Did you read the whole article glo. In case you missed it here's the 2nd to last paragraph, "Finally, I think that the smallest level of government possible best performs education. Teachers, parents, and local community leaders should be making decisions about exactly how our children should be taught, not Washington bureaucrats"..............No where in the article was privatizing education offered as the way out. You've already made it to the site, I question you misleading post. What are you doing here, REALLY!

13. tale1695

Getting rid of the Department of Education will only promote the private school system. Making families pay for education that most successful countries get for free and expecting to improve the country by doing so is atrocious. Having an illiterate America is no way to make our country better. It will only make it fall. Maybe the Founding Fathers didn't envision it, but that was back when education was not a very important factor in society. Could the department of education use a major overhaul? Yes! Can we run education like a business? No! That will only cause inconsistencies in knowledge across the nation, decrease our competitiveness on a global scale, and eventually put the necessity of knowledge in the hands of the wealthy. Does that make America as fair as anyone intended it to be? Will that prevent one entity from becoming too big to fail? No. It will not.

1. JayTea

Wake up , we are already illiterate.

1. tale1695

@JayTea We are not an illiterate country. We are nowhere near illiterate. Privatizing education will create illiteracy, since low and some middle class will not be able to afford education. I know that Ron Paul isn't directly proposing that we privatize education, but allowing states to decide will ultimately perpetuate the formation of these private schools. As compared to other countries, we do not stack up. Does that mean we are illiterate? No. All that it means is that we need to model our education system after those countries. Most countries with successful education systems have a government agency or an equivalent body that handles regulations on education within the country.

1. Banditnation

@tale1695@JayTea Now that's a tall tale. Our Federal education system is debunked. To quote Ron Paul Here, and the article you should have just read before posting, " We send billions of dollars to Washington and get back less than we sent. The money would be much better off left in states and local communities rather than being squandered in Washington." I wonder what type of education you received that allows you,Tale-wagger, to go around making up what "you" think this article is saying. You have the RIGHT to speak out on how you fell, but I have the RIGHT to call you an Idiot. The Education System will be better off in the Hands of the states. Will be easier to fix problems without the Newt's in Washington creating ways to "scrape off the Top".

2. tale1695

@Banditnation@JayTea Well, "Banditnation", I would like to point out that I did not in any way, shape, or form write a summary of this article, as you suggested I did. I was discussing the possible outcomes of getting rid of the Department of Education. Also, I would like to inform you that you have not informed me or anyone else of anything. You only restated what the article said. You did not make any new points. The basis of your argument was to personally attack me as opposed to my stance. It was quite obviously off topic. I didn't call you an idiot. Why are you calling me one? I have received a very good education so far (probably quite similar to the one that apparently entitles you to free speech), so don't call into question my education when you are the one who can't spell "feel" or use an apostrophe correctly. I do know how to recognize faulty logic.

3. Banditnation

I only repeated what the article said because you, obviously, Misread what Dr. Paul said. I will apologize to you publicly, I'm sorry for calling you and Idiot. You most certainly are not. But accusing me of faulty logic, do you know what the U.S. reading level is, and why the news is broadcast on a 5 grade reading level. They have intentionally Dumbed down the populist. What's the big hang up on Private schools. Have you looked at the test scores of kids coming out of private schools. In case not, they are higher than public schools by far. I ask you now. Why do you think that is?

4. tale1695

@Banditnation Well, I have correctly accused you of faulty logic. You used what is called a "red herring." The big hang up that I see with private schools is that there will be many people who will not be able to afford it. An education for everyone is better than an education for the rich. I am not saying that the education system we have now is working. We need federal education reform. Putting choices like these into the hands of the states will create private schools. Also, if you look on a global level, you will see that a large amount of nations that do have higher test scores have a federal department of education and free public schools. They also have a higher standard for becoming a teacher. Increasing teacher standards and more careful selection of teachers will increase competition, which will translate to higher test scores globally, as opposed to nationally. We are on a fast track to nowhere if we continue to become better at competing nationally as opposed to being a better global competitor.

5. Banditnation

@tale1695 Fact: in 2004/2005 school year, the government spent $9,266 per-student per year. That's $1000 per month* "about"* 6 years ago. You could get 1 teacher to every 5 kids. Or 10 kids. Average private school tuition for 2008/2009 was $10,045. I would like you to explain your opinion that leaving education to the states will create private schools. Ron Paul is not for privatizing public education. I believe you have him confused with George Bush's voucher idea. He believes its not the roll of the 'Federal" government to make decisions like that. On a global level, the public education systems in countries with a welfare state like ours, are as bad if not worse than ours. But Not all public schools have bad test scores. I do not agree with privatizing the public school system. But, I think the public system should look at the reason why private schools do so well. Discipline.

6. tale1695

@Banditnation Many state governments are beginning to introduce online learning into the state's educational curriculum. I am from Idaho. In our state, every hour that we have where students are taking classes online, the school loses money, regardless of the fact that we have to create a new 'site proctor' position in order to have the class. Students are even required to pay a fee to the state for taking an online class. States are just looking for new ways to decrease funding in the schools. In many states, education isn't even the first priority. I know our governor, C.L. "Butch" Otter, has cut education throughout the state to please his constituents in Southern Idaho. There is absolutely no better way for state governments to save money than to switch from public schools to private schools, even if it may mean a worse future. Do you think that they will try and continue funding a program that they already don't like? They see no profit, therefore no point.

7. Banditnation

@tale1695 Did you copy and paste your response from the thread after this one. LOL..... you did. Are you a spam bot? Anyway, You didn't answer my question. Restate: Explain your opinion that leaving education to the states will create private schools? Now Another question for getting caught, Explain you opinion on a worse future with every kid going to private school, after previously agreeing that students in private schools do better?

8. tale1695

@Banditnation Yes. I did copy and paste it. However, I did it because I think it answers your question well. My state, as well as many other states, don't find education spending to be a priority. If they could get rid of all or most state funding for education and put it towards something that they will profit from, they would most likely jump on board. If schools can't get funding from the state, they will get money from the attendees, thus creating a private school. I do think that children in public schools would do better. However, how many parents are going to invest into education when they cannot be forced to, especially low-class families. Education for the wealthy doesn't create a better school system. It only sets us up for failure.

9. Banditnation

@tale1695 Well, its the people of your states fault for allowing your elected leaders to do this. I'm sure the people of your state know what's best for your students wouldn't you agree? The reason its corrupt is because corruption always starts at the top. Washington in this case. I need you to start giving facts or logic, you've done nothing other than throw around opinions of what you think would happen. You use words like parents cannot be forced to, and education for the wealthy. Talk about substance please. Here's my opinion-The Knowledge of the world is out there, but the Leaders understand that if you had a truly great education they wouldn't be able to guide you, mold you, terrorize you, put fear in you, steal from you, decide for you. Its not up to the Government to mold the people, its the family and community. Your not helpless, but your very uninformed, or you are the type of person that will talk for a while, but never truly say or talk about anything.

10. tale1695

@Banditnation @tale1695 I don't see why you don't get my point. My argument is valid and you fail to recognize that fact. Parents not being able to be forced to pay for private education is a fact. You can't make them do that. Everything that I have said about my state is a fact. Now, I ask you what would your argument be without opinion. It drives my comments just as it does yours. Show me the substance. Was it the lack thereof that caused you to attack me as opposed to my position? I am using logical and rational thought processes. I have provided facts and opinions, just as you have. I'm done trying to convince you of anything because it is obviously a lost cause, and, "Quite frankly my dear, I don't give a damn."

11. Banditnation

@tale1695 I cannot get your point because i understand that your wrong, plain and simple. But I don't think your capable of changing your mind. You most certainly could never change my mind when I've done my homework on this issue and know where you are wrong. Which I've pointed out. I never said that parents should be forced to pay. Reread what I've said, not what you think I've said. And you have not answered any of my questions. Your dodging them, I believe. because you don't have any facts to stand on. Your opinion is wrong. I checked into your state, Idaho in case you think I'm lying, and when you say "If they could get rid of all or most state funding for education and put it towards something that they will profit from, they would most likely jump on board" is an opinion. Fact- You are uninformed, and will stay uninformed as long as you make up your own reality, filled with half truths and your opinions formed from those half truths. Your trying to change peoples minds without facts. Do your research. Present facts, and have an open mind. I guess coming from a village of 800 people didn't teach you that, or how to disagree without giving up. Ron Paul stands behind what he says. Prove me wrong tattle tale! I wait for your humorous response. They have not let me down yet.

"Voting for the lesser of two evils is still voting for evil"

2. mkd5097

To privatize the schooling system gives parents the ability to choose where and how their children get educated. That is freedom. For my parents to be told that they must send their children to a particular school because they live in a certain school district is wrong. To open the schooling system up and privatizing it not only creates jobs, it allows for competition. Competition in the area of education is what you should want. It lets me look at a number of different schools and weigh my decision based on the quality of their education, price, and any other number of factors, then make an educated decision. This competition not only raises the level or quality of education it lowers the costs of schooling. To privatize the schooling system does not mean that all of the sudden you will be paying $30,000 a year for your kid to go to elementary school. With more schools and options to choose from will drive the price down. Another perspective is that it will give all of the tens of thousands of education students an opportunity to work. All of the education majors that I have come across in college have been terrified about finding a teaching position in a school. By privatizing the system lets these young teachers have the option of starting their own small school and working rather than being forced to look for another job in a different industry because of the shortage of positions.

3. dbouthy

@tale1695 Ron Paul is a fan of small government. It is obvious that our current education standards are not up to par with other advanced countries and Doctor Paul is merely stating that we privatize education in the sense that we let the states decide what they do with the tax dollars we already give them as opposed to giving that responsibility to Washington where our money is used for things much less important than our education. Like bombing foreign countries.

4. Furious C

@tale1695
      Nothing is free, everyone pays for each child's education, in this nation and all others. Doesn't it say something that we have 'free' education yet many pray to win some lottery to have the privilege to pay a large amount of money for a good education? It is a sad state of affairs that we are in. Shifting education to a state level may cause inconsistencies, especially at first, but the successful states will be models to the less successful and the nation as a whole will benefit. I lost all faith in public schools when my wife became a teacher a few years ago. Something must change....in my opinion we must get parents more involved and shift more of the responsibility for education to them, where it belongs.

5. klk777

I agree! And he forgets about the kids that are born to mothers that are addicted, underage and impoverished. What about the kids that are born into families so poor they can barely survive, let alone pay for college without assistance? Some people have been through so much ( and by no fault of their own) because of their social and economic backdrop, that by the time they become young men and women , they need some support in place in order to educate themselves. We have thousands of doctors, engineers, nurse’s and teachers that are productive tax paying citizens because they had access to federal funds .

6. edibleplanet

@tale1695 Or maybe it might open up pathways where children can actually get an education in something that interests them instead of the standard "wage earning" education they've been getting. If I were to hire an individual, I would much rather higher someone because of their inherent desires to pursue and succeed in a certain career than to hire someone simply because they need a paycheck.

14. StevenEdbrooke

Some things you guys should know. Statisticly, people do not stay on welfare. There is an incredible stigma in this country on taking government money. Statisticly people also tend to use welfare as a way to stay off the street and get a job which helps the economy. That being said, the average tax pay pays $400 a year on welfare for people and $1400 on corp. welfare. Ron Paul is the only canidite who has a plan to do something about that which is why I support him.

This education idea is a mess though. How is a state like Oklahoma going to compete with a state like california in education? It is going to make the rich states richer and the poor states poorer

15. SeekingKnowledge

How will this help education? I live in Mississippi, one of the poorest states in the union. I live in a community that charges large property taxes to support education and I own 3 houses within the county. I am happy to support the educational system here because these children will be our future leaders and I want them to be educated and well-informed. I fear that if we do not have some sort of government funding, my children will be unable to get a quality education. You may say that I should leave Mississippi, but this is my home. I think this may be good for larger, richer states, but it would devastate the poorest states and create a massive educational gap and push these states even further into poverty.

1. JayTea

@SeekingKnowledge How has unfunded mandates helped Mississippi?

16. whenwillitstop

I send my son to elementary prison every day here in California. where they have a program called NO CHILD LEFT BEHINED. In 2nd Grade they tried to teach him single digit addition, to double digit addition to single didit multiplication, to double digit multiplication, to decimals, then to fractions... IN TWO AND A HALF WEEKS!!!! They expected for him to read MINIMUM 80 words a min. and have a classroom of 30 children. With less days in the school year. ( DO TO CUTBACKS). My child was lost. He was struggling amazingly with no prevail. when I brought this up to the school,they suggested our DR. shuold evaluate him and get him on MEDICATION!!! ( During Just Say No To Drugs Week). At the end of the year they passed him on to 3rd grade! and they said he was at a begining 1st grade level? HMMM... No child left behind... PLEASE WAKE UP!!!

17. Chicken Cutlets Bra Inserts

Websites we think you should visit...

[...]although websites we backlink to below are considerably not related to ours, we feel they are actually worth a go through, so have a look[...]…...

18. R863C

FoxTec...

[...]the time to read or visit the content or web sites we have [...]...

19. service seo

Read was interesting, stay in touch…...

[...]please visit the sites we follow, including this one, as it represents our picks from the web[...]…...

20. fake medical marijuana card in colorado

Medical Marijuana Dispensaries...

[...]the time to read or check out the content or sites we have linked to underneath the[...]...

21. 16 top medical marijuana strains

PotSpot 411...

[...]Neat sites we check out[...]...

22. medical marijuana dispensaries near me

Medical Marijuana Dispensaries...

[...]here are some links to websites that we link to because we believe they are worth visiting[...]...

23. how to cure yeast infection naturally

Blogs ou should be reading...

[...]Here is a Great Blog You Might Find Interesting that we Encourage You[...]…...

24. Affiliate Cash Snipers

Read was interesting, stay in touch…...

25. bread maker machines

Websites we think you should visit...

26. Boca Raton Homes For Sale

Superb website...

[...]always a big fan of linking to bloggers that I love but don’t get a lot of link love from[...]…...

27. outdoor wilderness survival

Awesome website...

[...]the time to read or visit the content or sites we have linked to below the[...]…...

28. Mauritius Villas

Awesome website...

29. ty tha artist

Cool sites...

[...]we came across a cool site that you might enjoy. Take a look if you want[...]…...

30. single people meet

Websites we think you should visit...

31. custom essay

Sources...

[...]check below, are some totally unrelated websites to ours, however, they are most trustworthy sources that we use[...]…...

32. dating service for free

Websites you should visit...

[...]below you’ll find the link to some sites that we think you should visit[...]…...

33. Keurig b60 review

Visitor recommendations...

[...]one of our visitors recently recommended the following website[...]…...

34. how to cook

Websites worth visiting...

[...]here are some links to sites that we link to because we think they are worth visiting[...]…...

35. Cleaning Hammersmith

Recent Blogroll Additions…...

[...]usually posts some very interesting stuff like this. If you’re new to this site[...]…...

1 5 6 7 8 9 11