War on Drugs

Ron Paul opposes the War on Drugs.

On November 20, 2008 Ron Paul said in a New York Times / Freakonomics interview:

“[…] the federal war on drugs has proven costly and ineffective, while creating terrible violent crime. But if you question policy, you are accused of being pro-drug. That is preposterous. As a physician, father, and grandfather, I abhor drugs. I just know that there is a better way — through local laws, communities, churches, and families — to combat the very serious problem of drug abuse than a massive federal-government bureaucracy.”

Note: This summary of Ron Paul’s position has been determined to be incomplete! Contact us to join RonPaul.com as a voluntary editor. Help us set the record straight and keep this page up-to-date.

3,611 Comments:

1. I believe we will see radical changes over the next decade regarding our current drug policy...The last 3 decades have more than proven Zero Tollerance to be not only a failure but more a problem than the people it targets. As well, the old rehtoric of "drugs are bad...drugs are evil...therfore those who do drugs are bad and evil", has blown up in the face of those parents, teachers and leaders that passed it along for over 50 years. The majority of people age 45 and younger realize the lies, and propaganda that has been at the forefront of the anti-drug campaign. Many of todays voters do not support zero tollerance, and are against mandatory minimum drug sentences. Today most people are for decriminalizing personal possesion/use of marijuana, and legalizing the distribution of medically prescribed marijuana...A good start!

2. So because I was honest about having done coke and smoked pot just 3 years before my arrest and conviction I had to attend a rehab program; during which time I found myself surround by some of the most horrific stories I'd ever heard: Guys who had started drinking alcohol, smoking pot, shooting dope, even dealing before the 5th grade. Most of the time when I had to talk about my history, some would say I wasn't being honest, while others would just laugh and say I was merely a dumb rich kid experimenting, one guy called me a "weekend junky". The treatment councilor was relentless too. When I sad I smoked a joint once a day after work, or that I never delt drugs, she'd say I was lying and threaten to kick me out of the program. The program was 6 months long, there were 6 classes and I had to attend 3 times a week plus attend AA NA or some type of religious service, and once a week see my assinged primary councilor, which for me wasn't bad since he was never there.

To be continued.

3. Oh I certainly know about the dumbfounded approach to mainstream rehab. I spent 3 years in prison and had to, thats HAD TO, attend all "recomended" treatment programs; if I didn't I risked loosing the ability to earn goodtime towards an early release...I did all of my time! Now ask me why? Okay well for starters, I wasn't even in prison for a drug related crime, however during the required treatment intake eval. I decided to be honest about my past use of drugs and alcohol in my youth, which actually I never tried a drug until I was 22 ( the first time I smoked pot), and like most teens drank at high school parties. Now what landed me in a Chemical Dependency Program was that the last time I smoked pot and snorted coke was 3 years prior to my arrest...had it been 5 or more than I would not have been refered to the program. If I had known that...I had no prior record to say other wise. So from age 22 to about age 33 I "partied" with some friends and peers, mainly on the weekend. Hey I'm not saying it was smart but I did. Though during that time I was never without a good paying job, I always took care of my responsabilities, and never commited a crime to feed my "habit" which wasn't ever a habit to begin with.

To be continued...

• @Gonzo71 Gonzo if you were not a POW of the drug war why were you in prison? If, you don't mind my asking?

• No I don't mind you asking, I get asked that question alot. However, for the sake of this topic "The War On Drugs" I am going to with hold my answer for it is not relavent here.
        I shared my story to expose just how adusive our current drug policies are...Since the reason I was incarcerated had nothing, zero, zilch to do with drugs...That and to show that prison rehab is a waste of time do to insuficiant funding, but more so incompatent conselors who can't see beyond some out dated text book on chemical abuse.
        Thanks for asking.

4. Pingback: Gingrich Once Again Nails it without A TELEPROMPTER - Page 19 - Political Forum

5. You are responsible for yourself, is the message here.

The law has made "criminals" out of people who are not criminals,... just like prohibition.

If people like getting high, they will find a way to achieve that goal.

If people do not like getting high, pushing anything upon them is a waste of time.

I greatly dislike having decisions for me by others what I can or cannot do.

As long as no-one else gets hurt from my decisions, I think I should be allowed to do what I wish.

I think cell phones are more dangerous than pot when it comes to being behind the wheel.

As a bike rider, I know that,.... Their attention is not on the road. Even when they are looking at me

I find myself slamming on my brakes to avoid them.

We need to apply common sense,

The first amendment protects our freedom of speech, it doesn't remove your responsibilities

of that right.

For example,.. if you yell "FIRE" in a crowded building when there is no fire, be expected to get arrested. Same thing applies to slandering. Abusing this right will get you into trouble.

This is what I mean by applying common sense.

6. Not true. I had my best times drinking underage but the moment you turn 21, it is just somehow duller. if your dumb enough to try a legalized heroin or meth, then OD and we can get that gene out of our gene pool. We partially stoped evolving correctly when we made drugs prescription only and made drugs illegal. A dumbass who wants to "thin" his blood because he wants too takes warfarin WITHOUT MD supervision should be out of the gene race. Hopefully he didnt reproduce yet. If you don't know what i'm talking about, pick up a science book. Adults who force meds onto their children are the exception - thats wrong.

We don't live in a free country, we live in "sort of a free country". Talk to your children. Let people make their own bad choices. Let freedom ring baby!

7. Legalization is tantamount to endorsement. If drugs are legal, more people will use them. That is bad for society. That's the bottom line.

• If that were true,(Which it most definitely is not) Portugal would not continue it's current policy. Portugal has decriminalized "ALL" drugs and finds it beneficial to society five years into their policy. Thomas Jefferson grew and smoked his own opium. Go ahead and practice your puritanical mindset. Tell people how they should live and what they should think while you pretend to be free. The DEA actually had Jefferson's poppy garden destroyed. A National Treasure trampled under the feet of madmen. I wonder what Jefferson would have thought if he had been around to see it. If he had been, he would have been handcuffed with his face shoved in the dirt and a gun pointed at his head. That may be the world you condone, but I am an American, "A Jeffersonian American!" The flag you try to wrap yourself in fits a little too tight!

• do you think speed limits prevent speeding. Or the alieviation of stop sines will prevent people from making consiouse desissions. Do you think antigonizing governments prevoke rebeliouse nature. I do not do drugs nor do I drink; but, I do not think that I would do drugs that were previously illeagle if they were to be legalized. You sea; I believe that the founding fathers built this great nation by the help of Gods devine providence and furthermore do believe in free morale agency and God forbids us to hold our oppinions to other people and make it Law such as the Jews did to the Christians in the bible. So I do not endorse drugs just mans choice to follow God or put plessures of this world in the place of him. Some people never get the chance to search freely and unhindered by other influences because they are criminalized and sent to jail to be subjected to bodily harm and also spiritual harm, then they are expected to be able to function in a sosciety that will not employ them beause of their criminal history wich can lead to depression then to more drug use. So this is somthing that you might find contraversial. Or you might just be totaly ignorant of these problems or you might need to get busy telling others that do drugs that it sucks to be you, you made a decision the federal government did not approve of. They just sent you on a downward spiral instead of helping you.

@captainkudzu

• @captainkudzu

Not true! What is bad for society is the ignorant retoric that has made obtuse minded people beleive that a zero drug tollerance policy will solve the issues surrounding supply and demand.

Legalize, Regulate, Educate!!!

8. Pingback: Why Ron Paul Will Not Get the Republican Nomination | All Latest News

9. Pingback: Why Ron Paul Will Not Get the Republican Nomination (ContributorNetwork) | Breaking News Today

10. Pingback: Why Ron Paul Will Not Get the Republican Nomination (ContributorNetwork) @ fbcheat.com

11. Pingback: Why Ron Paul Will Not Get the Republican Nomination (ContributorNetwork) | Elections News

12. Pingback: Why Ron Paul Will Not Get the Republican Nomination (ContributorNetwork) | News Bulletins

13. I am pro-marijuana. I personally don't care for it, but it is no worse than alcohol and cigarettes, in my opinion. I fully believe we should legalize it, allow for marijuana farmers to grow fields like tobacco and tax it every way we can. If we stop fighting it and start taxing it, perhaps we can see a huge benefit to our budget crisis.

14. Pingback: http://learningwiki.net/groups/cat3chemistrysingaporeaugust2011/wiki/5258b/Any_time_it_really_is_time_to_check_out_Boca_Raton_people_may_possibly_wish_to_take_a_look_at_top_quality_houses_in_the_region.html

15. Pingback: Minecraft Texture Packs