War on Drugs

Ron Paul opposes the War on Drugs.

On November 20, 2008 Ron Paul said in a New York Times / Freakonomics interview:

“[…] the federal war on drugs has proven costly and ineffective, while creating terrible violent crime. But if you question policy, you are accused of being pro-drug. That is preposterous. As a physician, father, and grandfather, I abhor drugs. I just know that there is a better way — through local laws, communities, churches, and families — to combat the very serious problem of drug abuse than a massive federal-government bureaucracy.”

Note: This summary of Ron Paul’s position has been determined to be incomplete! Contact us to join RonPaul.com as a voluntary editor. Help us set the record straight and keep this page up-to-date.

3,611 Comments:

1. the "hard" drugs are already legal I can't stand opium fiends and i see them everywhere, spending $50 a high, i have seen meth addicts jump to government speed (adderall and dexedrine) they steal from their kids who have been diagnosed ADHD, pot heads going to herbel blends, I suffer from anxiety that its so bad the stress causes my vision to black out, as some as my dr. put me on xanax they went away and my friends and family told me i much more pleasent to be around, my dr. retired and now i can't find a dr. who continue my meds because other patients abuse them, the worst part of my appointment was in the waiting room listening to people complain that the patient with the dr. was talking to much and taking to long. FIENDS!!! WHY SHOULD MY HEALTH AND HAPPINESS SUFFER?

• @starkst The answer to this, my unfortunate friend, is to not worry so much about those fiends. Doctors should be allowed to prescribe what they, in their expensively-educated minds deem appropriate. I'm sorry to hear that you are unable to have your xanex due to people abusing them. But the answer is to change the government's hardnosed opposition to what it sees as "drugs of abuse" and to allow the parents, family, and friends to be there for any addicts that come from those families. if the fiends have no friends, they can go to church or the atheist equivalent.

2. legalize drugs we just get it from the doctors personally ill do drugs and nobody is gonna tell me i cant same with anyone else its our rights to choose and stop acting like drugs are the devil g there know big deal its the law that makes it like that everyone knows it wake up come on guys really? also dare told me lies about drugs if i knowed the truth what i know know i would not have done them but if they was legal i would not have knowed of them until later in life but they was everywhere and it was ileagal and cool so i was cool to common sense that would make us rich and we would all gain truth

• @saveus lrntogrammar

• @saveus It's not easy to read this, but let's see.... You're right of course. It is not the place of government to tell you what you can and cannot consume. victim-less crimes such as sumptuary laws should not exist. Entheogens such as LSD are the "easy way" to get in touch with the Holy Spirit, or God within. There are other methods, but I dont see why responsible recreational drug use in the privacy of your own home should be illegal. First of all, it is not the government's place to tell me what I can and cannot do in the privacy of my own home. Second of all, it is not the government's place to be my mother or father. Third of all, if I want to destroy myself with something stupid like herion, which produces nothing but a cheap "body high," that is my God-given choice, my free agency. it is not the place for the laws of men to take that away from me.

3. legalize drugs. shoot on sight border jumpers. bring industry home. lighten up on arrest everyones in jail and they do it for drugs so legalize causing coruption 2 . talk so we can understand u and be a man be honest dont make promises u cant keep . work where? so money forget it were goin under obvious go in to debt jobs money and i refuse to work 4 anything less than 15 bucks an hour ill sell crack before id do that maybe thats why people do it to have a piece of the pie duuurrrrr its the only way to make money its worth goin to jail over it at least i can live like a king 4 awhile or u can live in the streets or join mcdonalds and slave and die working at like 77 years old at grill and never enjoy life like my father truck driver died and never had nothing 48 years and worked like a dog never enjoyed nothing worked all the time im not goin down that road and stop helpin over seas there country not ours mind our buissnes over here what is it whith helpin other countrys never help us unless another hitler comes back no more of this rush in superman crap ggggeeezz and our troops what are they doin over there does antone know ? cause i dont come home now!!!!! and cops do what they want need more restrictions to keep them law abiding they work for us and i hate to tell u president u work 4 us!!!!! so do what ur told. sombody stand up do something wake up please save us im gonna vote this time but if i get fooled again i will not vote again like obama i voted 4 him cause i thought he was a man and was honest joe plummer crap not cause he was black dont care if he mexican as long as he defends us whith his life he is our leader we trusted u presidents somthin bad is gonna happen if we dont turn things around my are is affected so bad u might as well be dead cause u cant have a life its sell drugs or be poor no work and its a hell hole it was a nice rich community 15 years ago ron paul i gonna watch u if u handle buissnes like a real honest man would u get my vote and talk like us will listen we dont wont to hear ur fancy words were blue color people we are more than anyone remember that! sincerly my voice respect. feels good to get that off my chest sorry if i offended anyone not mean to

• @saveus Selling illegal drugs is a cheap cash cow, and many people are willing to risk prison to make thousands of dollars a day. You are, of course, right about the government working for the people. All governments should fear their employers, the people. Ron Paul seems to have his stuff together better than Obama did. That says a lot coming from me.

4. I know we can to my friend. We need to help each other and stop expecting the Gov't to do something about it. We have seen what they do, bust your door down, knock ya in the head a few time take you to jail, you then spend thousands of $ defending yourself and end up with a criminal record. None of this is conducive to a productive lifestyle. Just because someone does drugs does not eliminate them from being a productive citizen. Some of the most innovative and inventive people I have ever met are drug users. IF they didn't have to spend all of their time hiding from the Gov't just think of the ways they could help society. Many many many influential people from our history have struggled with drugs and addiction and still proved to successful. Throwing them in jail ruins that opportunity.

• @Logic_WINS I like you. Yes, many of my most creative and innovative friends use recreational drugs, as well. And if I were addicted to a drug such as cocaine or heroin, I would not go to the government for fear of being criminalized. I am a productive, tax-paying, law-abiding citizen, I do not deserve to be criminalized for my pursuit of happiness.

5. I believe that harmless drugs (like marijuana) should be legalized. But harmful (cocaine, heroin) can't be legalized because it would cause people to go crazy and the heart attack rate would go up like crazy.

6. Legalize it all and tax it...its the exactly the same concept of Abortion: if you illegalize it completely it just means that people are gonna do it in unsanitary conditions, hence junkies shooting up in the streets and overdosing in their apartments and robbing you for anything. Tax it and use the money for health treatment. In 10 days my uncle was cured from heroin addiction, it costed a crap load of cash but the treatment worked. Now imagine if this treatment were free with your local health insurance provider. Some countries in europe are very liberal on this issue and they don't have nearly as much drug users as we do in the states. Drugs have existed for thousands of years, they're going nowhere, just look at meth...its the new moonshine for christssake. The majority of people arent junkies so dont freak out thinking that the streets will be filled with zombies if we legalize all drugs. Its about educating your children in the end and preparing for the future.

7. i think the war on drugs should be fought by the family and community, not by the government.it is not the federal, or state government's place to dictate what is and is not allowed to be consumed.

• @coyo Um , yeah actually it is . Because if what is being consumed leads to an increase in violence, crime, or less productive-ness it hurts the country .

• @Isabelle128@coyo @Isabelle....Violence and crime are the direct result of prohibition. Period. And with all the jobs in China what will the sober populace produce? A happy stoned jobless guy is way less cranky or prone to violence than a sober one.

• @cosmos69@Isabelle128 Isabelle: if i was addicted to Cocaine, say, after it was legalized. i would not want to be forcibly sobered. i would want my family and friends, and possibly my community to intervene and stop me from destroying myself.

• @Isabelle128@coyo What drugs increase violence and crime? The prohibition of drugs is what increases the crime rate. When you get charged with possession and are facing three to five years in prison that may increase violence... You need to further educate yourself Isabelle. Look at what happened in Portugal when they decriminalized drugs....

• @Isabelle128 It really is not the government's place to parent your children for you.IF you are a parent, and you read this, let me speak directly to you. You are your children's parents, not the government.IF your children cannot be controlled and destroy themselves with recreational drugs, that isnt the government's fault. It's yours.

8. legalizing substances like cocain and heroin would be BADDD but deffinitely legalize marijuana

• @personn How would it be bad? Heroin, you setup heroin spas with nurses on staff. Cocain, well, at least we'll know that you're boss was truly using it. We all know he was. Now we have proof.

9. I agree 100% with the above quote.

10. Alcohol kills 20000 people every year, ciggarettes kill even more, so who are we to question recreational marijuana use that hasn't killed anyone, focus on cocaine, meth and the stuff that ruins familys and lives.

• @mitch4545 i dont really want to get into a huge debate on any candidate's website, but let's see if i can express my position on this with any degree of eloquence.I would say that even with things like cocaine and methamphetamine, some people /need/ that stuff (ADHD that is resistant to treatment, and severe enough to completely impair the ability to live one's life, much less be a productive law-abiding tax-paying citizen)i know people who have consumed cocaine and methamphetamine, and although /some/ people are prone to abuse of these drugs, for most people who experiment with these things, it is a not like you insnufflate a single line of coke, and suddenly, you're a huge coke addict who will sell your family's possessions just for another hit.It just isn't like DARE says it is.As it so turns out, children are smarter than most of the adults i know. They know that drugs like cocain, heroin, methamphetamine, and ketamine can be abused, and what abuse does to people. getting caught in a reward-pathway programming trap is a disease.But the people who are supposed to intervene at that point are not the government, nor any goverment entity. it should be the local churches, the community center, if you're an atheist or something, your family and friends who reach out to you and intervene.

11. @Motov God Created everything! Man only, shapes, isolates and recombines natural elements. Man is incapable of actual creation.

12. Well I'll explain it this way... The murder and crime rates are worse in Mexico and South America than any place in the world, other than South Africa. Yup, worse than Iraq, Iran, Afghanistan, Pakistan etc. And as many of us know a vast majority of drugs in America come from SA and Mex. Along with the "war on drugs" we have seen a rise in violence across central America especially the borders forcing many to leave Mex and head to US. But almost just as devestating the amount of US citizens incarcerated for possession has increased 12x since '80 accounting for 22% of total prison pop.

We have been hearing for years that we need to stop the flow of drugs into America and stop the flow of guns into Mexico but "we just can't seem to stem the flow." Now it took us 6 weeks, S I X weeks, to topple Saddam Hussein's regime which is across the ocean in the middle of stink'n nowhere. We are a very capable and effective force when applied correctly. This proves we have tremendous ability to make others comply when we feel that they are a danger to our freedom/existance. Now if you follow the logic and math we can see that we have a huge problem here. US citizens put in prison for possession compiled with fleeing immigrants and smugglrs flocking across our border illegally.

• Now if our government were actually concerned with these issues, which are very pressing and directly affecting US, would it not make sense to use some of that force that took out a well funded well established regime in 6 weeks and apply it to this issue? I don't believe that is the best way to go about it of course but i am connecting the dots, or attempting to. (Legalization is the only way to truly dismantle cartels) So we have all this firepower and strength that we LOVE using in the Middle East yet we ignore the richest terrorists in the world living in our back yard? This makes no sense to any normal person.

So we have the problems, we see the affects, we also see the resources that we have that could certainly end a Cartel or at the very least leave it in shambles and make the next guy think really hard before he decided to smuggle crap into our country. So then why would one think that selling guns to cartels without tracking them and also help manage and launder their money help to put an end to the problem? The only reason this would go on is if someone is benefitting from the way things are. Money from fines, money confiscated from drug deals, they can make a "crisis" of the border and make policies directed at the issue but Designed to cash in on the situation.

• The system is set up to fail and create cash flows for those "in-the-know." All the details are right in front of us. It is not only killing Mexicans, it is killing our border agents, it's destroying families that would have a chance outside of prison, all by direct action and in-action of our governemnt, even though they know better.

I apologize for the rant. I am sure most reading this already understand the situation. I had to get it off my chest and walk myself through it one more time. Thanks...

GO PAUL 2012 TELL A FRIEND....

• @Logic_WINS Read your posts.I don't know if directly attacking the cartels in north Mexico would be cost-effective. like you said, legalizing cocaine and heroin (and establishing easy and safe methods to get rid of addictions) would be the only permanent way to end the cartels.inexpensive pharmaceutical grade recreational drugs would utterly destroy the cartels, and the war on drugs would be over."what about the people who had their lives destroyed by drugs?"My answer to this is, if you are a christian, go to a church, they'll be happy to help you lead a cleaner, more meaningful life.If you are an atheist, or if church just isn't your bailiwick, there are community centers and non-governmental organizations that could help you by giving you something like buprenorphine to treat your addiction. anyone have anything to add to the BGO addiction treatments idea?

13. Does anyone see the "War on Drugs" and the "Fast and Furious" scandal as connected?

14. There would be a lot less problems with a bag of weed.

Weedies makes people less violent.

Weedies doesn't make you pray to the porcelain god or suffer hangovers.

Weedies doesn't cause DT's

God created weedies,....Man created booze,......who do YOU trust?

• @Motov Although I agree, your logic is flimsy - God created Jimson Weed, Oleander, Amaminta Phalloides (Death Cap mushroom) etc. I had to quit smoking weed when i was young because of lung infections that would last months. (the good old days of true Thai weed and Columbia Gold@ 30 bucks an ounce) Other than that, weed has proven to be fairly harmless. Making all drugs available and cheap removes both the glamour and the crime. Dennis Hopper used to inhale Gasoline fumes for the hallucinogenic effects. At 3-4 dollars a gallon it isn't a high that holds much interest to me. I know that if cocaine had been sold in baking soda boxes at hardware stores for five or ten dollars, I would have never had any interest in it. When cocaine and heroine (And Weed) holds the same status as sniffing glue the problem will work itself out. I know how profound one becomes on weed. (Much like alcohol) I had the recent experience of being the only sober guy in a room full of potheads and it was truly stupid conversation. (I could not stop laughing at everyone) BTW - I have a medical marijuana card, so I can buy the high potency green dope legally. Although the THC is higher, California dope doesn't compare to Thai or Colombian in terms of taste and head effect. ( I don't have lung issues because of how little I smoke. I have spent about 3/4 of my 50 years as a druggie. Smoking weed is not like eating fruit, (It isn't actually good for you!) It doesn't deserve special consideration over other drugs. They ALL should be legal period! Right now it is "America" guilty until proven rich! and "America" Land of the "Regulated" and home of the "Jailed"

• @cosmos69 I'll tell you this,.... it helps my Parkinson's Disease.

But where I live I cannot obtain it legally.

By legalizing it it would first drop the price of it considerably, You would have greater assurance of the quality of the product. And finally remove the criminal element.

• @Motov That is good news. MDMA was first developed to treat severe depression. Medicinal value is an important consideration, but, in my mind it isn't the primary rational for legality.

• @cosmos69@Motov MDMA is an interesting drug.There are websites that will extol its value to society, but we're obviously not here to talk about what MDMA can do for society.Legalizing MDMA would directly benefit our youth, in my opinion because the children of christian white middle-class families commonly will turn to MDMA when they experiment under their parent's noses.May I humbly suggest that some of the parents here research the web on what kind of people "abuse" what are known as "mollies"www.bluelight.ru is a good site for asking pertinent and frank questions about the drugs your children may be using recreationally right now as you read this.I'm not saying that to be alarmist. I just want parents to slow down and think about the stark reality of how children, seeking meaning, or finding their own way, as I have, and my younger friends do, they are finding their own path.What we can do as parents, and what I will do someday, when I have children, is Be There for our kids, and be as awesome as we can be.

15. incominggeneration

Only way that we will ever find out how the effects of the legalization of marijuana will effect America is to, in plain English, give it a shot. If you can tell the future of America through persons decisions then you should be running for president

• @incominggeneration i like that attitude.We will never really know, but I'd say, take a cue from the Prohibition Era.Yes, this means cracking open a history book, and reading (*le gasp!*), but I swear it's a fascinating read, and it would basically by like that, but in reverse/inverse.

16. incominggeneration

Only way that we will ever find out how the effect of the legalization of marijuana is to, in plain English, is to give it a shot. If you can tell the future of America through persons decisions then you should be running for president.

17. Sorry splitshotclique, you are dead wrong! The "cool factor" we are talking about is girls, expensive clothes, Rolex watches purchased with an hours pay, Luxury auto's purchased in cash for a week of flipping a few kilo's a day. Did I mention "GIRL'S?" We are not talking about a cigarette hanging from you mouth while wearing a leather jacket and looking like Marlon Brando. Legalization put's the "Homies" back in the welfare line dreaming about that 18 dollar an hour factory gig and having some respect for the hard working mother they would be sponging on. Martin Luther King would cry if he could see the the way the easy drug money has corrupted and polluted the souls and the goals of the impoverished. This modern day "minstrel show" know as the "Rap, House and Hip Hop" culture, has become nothing more than a cesspool of all that is shameful. All Races have found a home in this ego driven, base, crass, form of expression. This phenomena is most definitely a byproduct of "Drug Prohibition." An entire culture with a permanently stunted mindset fueled by drug money. "Good going!"

18. Legalizing it would not remove the "cool factor".. cigarettes are legal and i started smoking because it was "cool"... if crack and heroine was redily available, it would have a lot of people hooked and destroy lives. Just legalize marijuana for medicinal and recreational use and this country would be out of debt.

• @splitshotclique Sorry splitshotclique, you are dead wrong! The "cool factor" we are talking about is girls, expensive clothes, Rolex watches purchased with an hours pay, Luxury auto's purchased in cash for a week of flipping a few kilo's a day. Did I mention "GIRL'S?" We are not talking about a cigarette hanging from your mouth while wearing a leather jacket and looking like Marlon Brando. Legalization put's the "Homies" back in the welfare line dreaming about that 18 dollar an hour factory gig and having some respect for the hard working mother they would be sponging on. Martin Luther King would cry if he could see the the way the easy drug money has corrupted and polluted the souls and the goals of the impoverished. This modern day "minstrel show" know as the "Rap, House and Hip Hop" culture, has become nothing more than a cesspool of all that is shameful. All Races have found a home in this ego driven, base, crass, form of expression. This phenomena is most definitely a byproduct of "Drug Prohibition." An entire culture with a permanently stunted mindset fueled by drug money. "Good going!

• @cosmos69@splitshotclique The rap culture you speak of, and the way you speak of it, is completely out of line. I am a rapper and I do not promote negativity. You are taking a few very negative elements and blaming a culture. thats like me saying that all middle eastern residents are terrorists. it is your closed minded opinion that make me sick

• @Onymous@cosmos69@splitshotclique Don't be naive, Onymous. The amount of rap that's consumed by people is literally almost entirely negative garbage. Nobody's running out to buy or download the latest Will Smith CD or The Sugarhill Gang. In fact most people don't even know they exist. Get real.

• @Onymous@cosmos69@splitshotclique If Michael Franti were the most known Urban Spoken Word artist your thoughts of Rap Culture may have more merit. The Klan and other racists love the fact that the "Rap" culture and artists like Lil Wayne are oblivious to the impact of their brutal misogynist lyric. Everything that Thurgood Marshall, MLK, Malcom X, Muhammad Ali, Stevie Wonder, Maya Angelou etc have fought for "gets pissed on" by this ego driven bull$hit being peddled as art. I hope you find a way to make your brand of rap the mainstream. If drugs are legal one of the great effects will be a return to talent over "Pop culture buffoonery!" exploited for it's tabloid shock value. This will happen with the demise of the "Crack House." I work on Alvarado in LA and there are 600 local crack houses right around me. This situation provides seed money for the least thoughtful of mankind to have a voice. This "P Monster" Lyric mindset of the youth has die. This type of lyric inadvertently through ignorance of history, corroborates the mindset of "The Harrison Tax Act" of 1914, which moved cocaine to a controlled status by scaring white people into the idea that “drug-crazed, sex-mad negroes” would rape all the white girls. I work with Korean drug addicts who all mimic black culture...with the exception of one who thinks he is Latino. It is very sad to see people give up their culture wanting to be something not worth becoming.

• @Onymous@cosmos69@splitshotclique Thank you for contributing to culture, sir.

• @cosmos69@splitshotclique You know what I dream about?Creating miracle drugs that would change society, party drugs that were as safe as they were fun to use recreationally. I wish such drugs could be legally synthesized, because at heart, i'm a "playful biochemist," and creating drugs would be something I'd love to do.But we can't have any fun in this society.Even murderers get smaller sentences than, say, someone caught with a pound of a silly herb. It's a plant for the love of all that is Holy!Ron Paul, I don't know if you read these or not, but if you legalize a lot of these drugs, I'll vote for you. Keep in mind, I'd be the very first person in my family to vote Republican, so I'd be breaking a multi-generational streak for you.

19. LEGALIZE MARIJUANA!

20. if all drugs were legal and distributed for free to people who choose to use drugs; it would eliminate drug crime 100%. No money = no crime. It would put drug dealers out of work, reduce risks to users, remove the 'cool' factor for children, stop gang wars over drug 'territory' and it would save a lot of police time.

• @anON123 You are 100% correct, why is it so simple to understand and not understood by so many?

• @cosmos69@anON123 Not to mention the jobs it would add and the revenues it would create. People would gain interest in Botany classes and grow a quality product which the govt could tax

• @anON123 distributed to free? hmm. I would probably not suggest doing that. Drugs are generally expensive to synthesize. But I would suggest legalizing cocaine, heroin, mdma, and even methamphetamine, but regulating and taxing them heavily, but not so heavily that the drug cartels can charge less. We'd eliminate our country's debt.