War on Drugs

3611 Responses

Ron Paul opposes the War on Drugs.

On November 20, 2008 Ron Paul said in a New York Times / Freakonomics interview:

“[...] the federal war on drugs has proven costly and ineffective, while creating terrible violent crime. But if you question policy, you are accused of being pro-drug. That is preposterous. As a physician, father, and grandfather, I abhor drugs. I just know that there is a better way — through local laws, communities, churches, and families — to combat the very serious problem of drug abuse than a massive federal-government bureaucracy.”

Note: This summary of Ron Paul’s position has been determined to be incomplete! Contact us to join RonPaul.com as a voluntary editor. Help us set the record straight and keep this page up-to-date.

3,611 responses to “War on Drugs”

1. Susan Harkins

I notice quite often in posts, this erroneous ‘leap of faith’ with drug control advocates. 1)Person states that drugs should be legalized –> 2)Conclusion: Person supports drug use.

Takes a small brain to go from 1 to 2 (above). That said…

I do not believe that drugs should be used; I do not do drugs; I do not associate with drug users (aside from a few smokers and occassional drinkers), and I think that drug addicts are a burden on any society. Now for the BUT…

But I do not believe that we need a vast amount of laws and resources to control drug use. This is identical to Prohibition Era tactics, which wasted a hell of a lot of money, locked a lot of people up, and got nothing done, except appease the anal retentive ‘Puritans’ and reassure them that government was making sure that the sky did not fall on them. End result, Prohibition ended, people got drunk for six months, and then they had their fill of it. When beer and whiskey were readily available, the temptation and desire for it fell off the cliff. Now we have just a few reasonable laws, which keep order around drinking. If you drink and drive, you go to jail because you are risking the lives of others.

The same thing will happen if you legalize drugs — demand will spike for about a year and then fall off a cliff. It is human nature for this to occur, as we have already seen it with Prohibition. For those, who claim that the sky is going to fall if drugs are legalized, I believe that they have a very narrow view of human behavior and the dynamics associated with changing environments. Want some proof? How about, I load your refridgerator up with solid blocks of chocolate; measure your consumption of it 2, 4, and 6 weeks into it. Same thing would happen with drug users. Its not rocket science. We do not need to waste billions of $ on this nonsense, only to appease a few anal retentives, and reassure them that the government will not allow the sky to fall on them. Abolish the ATF, for starters.

1. Kurt

First things first. Can we all see the fallacy in terms like “supports drug use” and “demand for” drugs? A drug is simply defined as a chemical that has a psychological/physiological effect on a person. Someone who sips coffee is a Drug User, same as a suicidal roided-out wrestler.

We don’t see other personal choice issues defined this vaguely, so as to place the innocent and the ignominious under one label with a negative slant. If two 21-year old persons hug, then have sex, then hug again, then cook breakfast together, that is a Romantic Comedy. If one is 26 and the other 16, now we have a Rape and a Victim/Predator. Add/subtract five more years and we have Sicko/Looney Bin/Death Penalty. I choose this example partially because our sexual laws & customs are irrational & monstrous, but mostly to draw a simple comparison. Why not the same level of discernment in public speech about drug use? Why not qualify all drug use the way we qualify sex?

Except for a few Christian Scientists and other mystics, every man, woman & pubescent child in the USA uses drugs in a weekly, if not daily fashion, yet culturally we look down upon the “drug user” as defined arbitrarily (a user of one or more particular drugs) for monetary & racist reasons. The unspoken key: if the government/media SAY that a chemical is bad for you, it is a Drug. If they say it can be good for you, it’s Medicine. Or it’s beer and cigarettes.

Susan, if you hang out with nicotine smokers and alcohol drinkers, that means some of your friends are trapped by one of the most savagely addictive and insidiously deadly substances ever produced, and others of your friends are regularly using the deadliest and most destructive drug in U.S. history. A substance shouldn’t be labeled in a different way simply because it is legal or because a lot of people do it.

If we can all get past the artificial division the government creates between medicine, household pills/powders, soda/coffee and “drugs,” we will soon realize that drugs are already a part of everyone’s life and the false dilemma of “are drugs good or bad?” will sound as ridiculous as “Is a fire helpful?”

1. Christine

Now you’re talking. Big Pharma, the all pervasive, big pharma corporations, including the government’s interest in running drugs. We live in a harmful chemical sea… in our food (Monsanto), air (chemtrails & chemical pollutants), water (fluoride) and land (Monsanto), even in our clothing, furniture, housing materials, injected by vaccine, on and on. This is a topic worth raising until we remove these harmful chemicals from our lives. These chemicals are the root cause, the continuance and the development of many diseases and illnesses.

Since the govt is so big on healthcare, (ha! they’re interested in the profits from mandatory health insurance premiums, a totally different ballgame from actual healthcare services) you’d think they would do something about removing these chemicals. But Monsanto is tied in big with big govt. The govt and it’s partners in crimes against humanity.

2. Tom Pearl

Suasponta,
    I agree that that being under the influence is no excuse for criminal activities. Also the folks that will have to vote this change in attitude in are not going to go along with a radical revision of the present policy. Remember the majority of voters want to take no responsibility for their actions. Similar to hiding behind a corporate structure. “It’s my job”, “It’s corporate policy not me. My hands are tied.” Just because its your job doesn’t make it right. By hiding behind these entities they “FEEL GOOD” about themselves. The same mentality as the gaurds at auchwitz. Those are the people that will have to vote this in. In order for that to happen it has to be made plpable for them. They must be able to convince themselves that they are benevolent and good while helping solve the drug problem in America. Then after a few years we get ther rest. Just as our government has done since the late 1960’s.

3. Suasponta

Yes Tom Pearl, an example of the criminal justice industrial complex. However, what disturbs me is the comment “They now treat the offender as an ill person with very strict medical supervision.”

Do we treat the person who smokes tobacco or drinks as an “ill person”? When did we as Americans stop taking responsibility for our own actions as adults? The last thing we need is a class of people who, but for no action but their own, choose to do something that might not be the most healthiest habit. And treat it as a diease by doctors!

Unfortunately, We live in a society were a person can win a multi-million dollar law suit against a tobacco company for providing them the means to slowly kill herself yet, shouldn’t this set a precedence to sue other corporations for the same? Like the alcohol and fast food industries.

At least Cannabis has some irrefutable medicinal attributes, as opposed to tobacco and alcohol.

The horror, the horror, the horror….

4. Tom Pearl

The Federal “UNITED STATES” has more people in her prisons than any other country in the world. That is not to say that many do not belong there, they do. There are many though, that have committed nonviolent drug crimes because they are addicted to these drugs. Mandatory minimums and amount calculation formulas used by law enforcement have placed the people in prison for longer terms than those that commit manslaughter. Federal judges are routinely impeached for granting downward departures. Prison wardens will ruin their carreers for allowing dying inmates to leave even a month early.
    Five countries have decriminalized the use of cannibis. They now treat the offender as an ill person with very strict medical supervision. These countries have seen drug related crime diminish by 25% and their prison populations decrease by 50%.

5. jason

http://www.ancientsuninc.com http://www.powerorganics.com-www.E3Live.com-if you take this stuff you wont need drugs.

6. jason

I would like to make an alternative to cocacola,but use the real real thing. I say import coca leaves for chewing and peoples teeth will disentregrate and they wont want cocaine anymore,maybe theyll buy my coca leaf tea instead!

7. Jo

The worst thing about the war on drugs is makes innocent, peaceful people (who use and/or grow marijuana) into criminals. This in turn makes them disenfranchised, hate the police and the government whether or not they love America. Oh, and the fact that the huge black-market -> gang warfare in America.
    The best thing about the war on drugs is that it can stop, and legalizing and regulating marijuana could pay off our nation’s huge deficit.

8. Suasponta

I stand corrected on my last post and meant to state that Marijuana is a schedule I drug, same as Heroin, not Sch. II. Thanks CJ for pointing that out. And yeah, I guess they lumped Marinol into the schedule III since it’s ingested not smoked but, one would think that if the compound of THC was the factor lumping natural Marijuana into Sch. I at 8% THC and Marinol as Sch. III at 100%, a blatant show of governmental hypocrisy when it comes to drug scheduling.

And Tricia, Yes, Harry Anslinger is the same guy. The Marijuana propaganda history is a freaking joke! It went from driving one criminally insane to creating a non-motivated worthless human being if you smoke it.

Harry Anslinger when pushing for the Marijuana Tax Act, to basically criminalize Marijuana use or possession, had to get the AMA (American Medical Association) on board. The AMA would not testify before congress about the determents of Marijuana use since quite a few Doctors prescribed Marijuana for several aliments and they knew about the health benefits derived from it. They had been prescribing it for decades in one form or another. Harry sent out his FBN goons to harass Doctors and had them scrutinize their practices for anything that might be held against them. The harassment amounted to the point that the AMA finally backed off and some of the Doctors testified, under duress of losing their practice for one reason or another, in favor of criminalization. This man, was no better then a governmental Mob boss.

As I said in a previous post, if I had the chance to go back in American history and off one person, Harry Anslinger would be him.

9. Kurt

Thomas,
    As an avid user of one or two controlled/illegal substances, I can assure you that none of my using friends & I ever felt pushed to take any drug based on “the glitz and glamor of it all,” and MTV and VH1 were also absolute nonfactors; the only exception my anger and obstinacy toward MTV and VH1 for being so propagandizing *against* drug usage in general except for booze and nicotine, they parade these people on there like Steven Tyler who was a founding member of RAD, thinks he invented drugs and addiction, and that nobody could ever use drugs intelligently since he was unable to. Celebrity Rehab is a crystal clear symbol of our Big Brother state, and the violent and smug tyranny of our nationalized drug-pushing criminals who masquerade as psychiatrists. Those types of things on TV make me want to use more, and write/live/work harder. But it doesn’t have anything to do with “the glitz and glamor of it all.”

Also, I agree that the government, under the current system, benefits from people taking illegal drugs, since they get to tax the citizens more to pay for arresting and jailing them. But I don’t think many DEA guys see it that way.

10. CJ

The funny thing is that Marijuana (which averages about 8% THC)is a schedule l drug and MARINOL which is 100% synthetic THC ia a schedule lll drug.

11. Tricia

Yeah isn’t he the guy that said “Only Negros smoke marajuana and if white women smoke it they will have sex with Negro’s” how RETARDED. Let’s not forget “It’s a gateway” that to is retarded. We waste billions on a war we are not winning. RON PAUL 2012!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

12. Susaponta

Jon, it goes back further then Nixon. The Father of prohibition is Harry Anslinger who was the Director of the FBN, the Federal Bureau of Narcotics. This was the DEA prior to the DEA. This is the man you can thank for starting it all. A very, racist, moralizing, evil man. He is the one who started all the lies about Marijuana. He is the one who produced and released propaganda films like Reefer Madness. In its day this crap was absorbed by the public as being genuine fact because the government says it was so, and as far as they where concerned, the government wouldn’t lie to the people.

Nixon, another lying evil man, was basically forced to allow congress to allow for a committee to study and release a report about marijuana prior to pushing for the Controlled Substance Act in 1972. This was motivated by public out cry trying to decriminalize marijuana prior to the passage of controlled substance act which would lump Marijuana in the same category as Heroin. This governments study, a 6 month study, and the most comprehensive study done on Marijuana usage in 60 years turned out to dispel all the governments (FBN) lies about the detriments of marijuana usage. Nixon read the first 3 pages of this report and tossed it into the trash can.

You see, Nixon, a very, very evil man, was dealing with the Vietnam war protest movement and the counter culture of the time. Which the majority used Marijuana. And by disregarding the report and lumping Marijuana in the same scheduled drug class as Heroin assured a very high felony arrest rate of Vietnam War and counter culture protesters. The Bastard also awarded Anslinger for his Anti-Narcotics efforts, and created the super drug fighting force known as the DEA.

To this day, Marijuana remains a scheduled II drug, same as Heroin. And the ironic twist to this is that the FDA’s Secretary Sibilus, has the power to change it but, still no change. Also, our Vice-President Biden, another evil man, created the ONDCP (Office of National Drug Control Policy) The office of the Drug Czar. Go figure….

13. Jon

And who should we thank for this ridiculous war??? Nixon, Reagan, Bush I, & Bush II. Legalize them all.

14. Thomas R.

The war on drugs is a warped falsness that has currupted both our freedoms and our very intellects to think freely. Those who sell and use drugs are intwined in the glitz of it all. They see MTV and BET promoting these behaviors as admiral. They dont focus on the simple fact that pop-culure has unconditionally addicted people who never had a chance to decide themselves ( youths ). Are society is spiraling around a fake enviroment alotted to us by the unseen powers that control every aspect of our lives through flashing lights and consumerism.

The government wants the people use drugs becouse then peoples concerns arnt of the political type. But more of the keeping that dollar circulateing, and thus fueling the economy. These fundamental practices of the economists have failed however and the current slump is evident. While the average citizen has some money, theres only a select few who posess serious wealth, and they’ve had it for generations.

Another benifit of the government regulated drug trade is these wealthy select couldnt control all of us, but the majority, and whats a better shackle then glorified normality of the working class. Thats what it is. PLZ respond to my thoughts, I could use your opinions.

15. Tony

I was recently arrested for distribution. I am not a bad person mind you. I’m 20 years old and it was my first time ever selling pot. The state of south dakota is creating dealers to get their numbers up. They took a buddy of mine whom I grew up with and whom babysat me when I was little and turned him against me. He talked me into getting him some pot for a friend of his because he was short on cash, so being a good friend I did what I could to help out. I stress though that it was the first and only time I have ever sold the drug. I was just a regular user, smoked mainly by myself in the privacy of my own home. My (so called) friend beg’d me for several days befor I gave in. Durning this time he was selling his pills that he had gotten from a doctor or stole from someone who needed them, like his step dad. The DCI agent Steve Ardis didnt even look into it. He just took his word that I was a big time drug dealer and went for the bust. He also got a friend of mine to sell him Aderal which my friend needed. He did so by flashing 100 dollar bills infront of him, then went to his house one day which was about a block from a school and got him to sell him some, so he is looking at 16 years just for that. The CI’s name was Brian Goben, but he wasnt much of a CI because as soon as this all came out everyone knew who it was. My friend is only 18 years old, he has alot to live for, but with the war on drugs and the DCI agent wanting to get their numbers up they are creating dealers instead of going after the people that have been doing it for years. I no longer use any type of drug nor do I like being around them but something needs to be done. The government is distroying young kids lives to make it look like they are doing good. I ended up using my suspended Imp to keep my record clean and try to move on from here, but I just know it will happen again to someone else. When the government makes something illegal that just makes people want to do it. Pot is not a gateway drug, I never went any farther than that. I used for about 6 months befor all this happened. I was experamenting nothing further. I do on the other had agree that Coke and Meth should still be illegal because of what it can do to your body in the long run and the people who do those drugs are more app’d to steal what ever they can to make enough to supply themselves. As far as organic goes though I strongly feel that the government would be better of putting a small tax on it and making the profits themselves instead of spending money to put young people behind bars. I think I have made my point clear, if you have any questions you can reach me at rocket_boy6956@msn.com. Thank you for your time, and I pray for the ones that the DCI sets up to get their numbers.

16. J E M

A Government cannot control anything that is illegal. By criminalizing all aspects of recreational drugs – possession, distribution, manufacture, and use, it effectively drives the industry underground where it becomes more difficult to seek out and destroy. This criminalization also rewards those who do choose to manufacture and distribute the drugs with profits that are proportionate to the risk they are taking. These profits are passed on to the users who, if addicted, often resort to other crimes that will generate enough money to fund their habit. If the Government or law enforcement strengthens enforcement efforts or increases penalties, this merely results in an increase in the risk factor for manufacturers and distributors and subsequently their profit factor.

The plain simple fact is that the a Government cannot control anything that is illegal. All it can do is declare “war” on the substance and throw money and guns at it. It is a war that cannot be won.

Conversely, if a substance is legal, a Government can implement nearly any controls imaginable. While many might think a high tax would solve many of the problems related to drug addiction, this is untrue. A high tax would simply encourage a black market for distribution. The number one thing that needs to be done with recreational drugs is to take the profit out of it. If there is no risk there is no profit. If there is no profit there is no incentive to drive a market. Without the profiteers driving the market, the industry dies.

Without the criminality, theft crime dimishes as do the expenses and costs of pursuing, prosecuting and incarcerating the “criminals”. By the way, the unintended byproduct of any law is a criminal.

17. Sean Q Public

The Act of 1871 and re-write of our Constitution is the heart of all of our ills. The ONLY reason you see a “War On…” is due to the Executive powers granted a President in loop-holes concerning an Executives rights and powers in times of wars.

Mr. Paul Sir, would you be willing to sign in as your very first act as President an Executive order that removes all prior executive orders? Is your courage and conviction as such that you would stand up to the big international banks and those few that believe they own us?

Make that pledge… The one that JFK began (EO 11110) but was killed off before he could complete.

Bring the REAL truth to light Mr. Paul… De-INC America…

1. Christine

Yeah buddy! De-Inc. America. No more corporations as a form of doing business. They accept NO responsibility and shirk their mistakes off onto “we the people”. That’s why so many businesses incorporate. They create pollution and poverty in 3rd world countries, and America is quickly heading in that direction. By the way, the end of corporations would solve the global warming. GW amounts to another corporate bailout so taxpayers are left holding another bag of debt, corporate debts, not ours! Americans have experienced enough legalized theft, including our legal system (taking authority away from we the people). This means our federal government would need to find another form to operate under as it is a corporation as well. So is the UK’s government a corporation, making citizens “employees” they can control and “own”, making them slaves and not free men and women. Had enough of that. Now let’s get back to being ourselves again, America the Republic!

THE CORPORATION [1/23] What is a Corporation?
      Otherwise called Psychopathic, Inc.

1. Machine

Here is a great example of how Corp. Powers get away with not only pushing their mistakes off on others, but when the common Tom Dick nad Harry make a mistake and don’t have power, money and a team of high profile attorneys, they get sent up the river.

The Judge & the Bomb
        by Judge Miles Lord
        The following is a statement by U.S. District Judge Miles Lord at his sentencing of two persons
        convicted of destroying war-related computer equipment at a Sperry plant in Minnesota.
        It is the allegation of these young people that they committed the acts here
        complained of as a desperate plea to the American people and its government to stop the
        military madness which they sincerely believe will destroy us all, friend and enemy alike.
        As I ponder over the punishment to be meted out to these two people who were
        attempting to unbuild weapons of mass destruction, we must ask ourselves: Can it be that
        those of us who build weapons to kill are engaged in a more sanctified endeavor than to
        see who would by their acts attempt to counsel moderation and mediation as an alternative
        method of settling international disputes? Why are we so fascinated by a power so great
        that we cannot comprehend its magnitude? What is so sacred about a bomb, so romantic
        about a missile? Why do we condemn and hang individual killers while extolling the virtues
        of warmongers? What is that fatal fascination which attracts us to the thought of mass
        destruction of our brethren in another country? How can we even entertain the thought that
        all people on one side of an imaginary line must die and, if we be so ungodly cynical as to
        countenance that thought, have we given thought to the fact that in executing that decree we
        will also die?
        Who draws these lines and who has so decreed?
        How many people in this democracy have seriously contemplated the futility of
        committing national suicide in order to punish our adversaries? Have we so little faith in
        our system of free enterprise, our capitalism, and the fundamental concepts that are taught
        us in our constitutions and in our several bibles that we must, in order to protect ourselves
        from the spread of foreign ideologies, be prepared to die at our own hands? Such thinking
        indicates a great deal of lack of faith in our democracy, our body politic, our people, and our
        institutions.
        There are those in high places that believe Armageddon is soon to be upon us, that
        Christ will soon come to earth and take us all back with him to heaven. It would appear that
        much of our national effort is being is devoted to helping with the process. It may even be a
        celebration of sorts. When the bombs go off, Christ won’t have to come to earth—we will all,
        believers and nonbelievers alike, meet him halfway.
        The anomaly of this situation is that I am here called upon to punish two individuals
        who were charged with having caused damage to the property of a corporation in the amount
        of $33,000. It is this self-same corporation which only a few months ago was before me
        accused of having wrongfully embezzled from the U.S. government the sum of $3.6 million.
        The employees of this company succeeded in boosting the corporate profits by wrongfully
        and feloniously juggling the books. Since these individuals were all employees of the
        Class of Nonviolence 159
        corporation, it appears that it did not occur to anyone in the office of the Attorney General
        of the United States that the actions of these men constituted a criminal conspiracy for
        which they might be punished. The government demanded only that Sperry pay back a mere
        10 percent of the amount by which the corporation had been unlawfully enriched. Could it
        be that these corporate men who were working to build weapons of mass destruction received
        special treatment because of the nature of their work?
        I am now called upon to determine the amount of restitution that is to be required
        of the two individuals who have done damage to the property of Sperry. The financial
        information obtained by the probation officers indicates that neither of the defendants
        owes any money to anyone. While Ms. Katt has no assets, Mr. Laforge is comparatively well
        endowed. He owns a 1968 Volkswagen, a guitar, a sleeping bag, and $200 in cash.
        The inexorable pressure which generates from those who are engaged in making a
        living and a profit from building military equipment and the pork barreling that goes on
        in the halls of Congress to obtain more such contracts for the individual state will in the
        ultimate consume itself in an atomic holocaust. These same factors exert a powerful pressure
        upon a judge in my position to go along with the theory that there is something sacred about
        a bomb and that those who raise their voices or their hands against it should be struck down
        as enemies of the people, no matter that in their hearts they feel and know that they are
        friends of the people.
        Now conduct of this sort cannot be condoned under the guise of free speech. Neither
        should it be totally condemned as being subversive, traitorous, or treasonous in the category
        of espionage or some other bad things. I would here in this instance take the sting out of the
        bomb, attempt in some way to force the government to remove the halo with which it seems
        to embrace any device which can kill, and to place instead thereon a shroud, the shroud of
        death, destruction, mutilation, disease, and debilitation.
        If there is an adverse reaction to this sentence, I will anxiously await the protestations
        of those who complain of my attempts to correct the imbalance that now exists in a system
        that operates in such a manner as to provide one type of justice for the rich and a lesser type
        for the poor. One standard for the mighty and another for the weak. And a system which
        finds its humanness and objectivity is sublimated to military madness and the worship of the
        bomb.
        A judge sitting here as I do is not called upon to do that which is politically expedient
        or popular but is called upon to exercise his calm and deliberate judgment in a manner best
        suited to accomplish and accommodate and vindicate the rights of the people acting through
        its government and the rights of those people who are the subject matter of such actions.
        The most popular thing to do at this particular time would be to sentence them to a 10 year
        period of imprisonment, and some judges might be disposed to do just that. [Thereupon,
        sentence was imposed: Six months in prison, was suspended, six months on probation.]
        I am also aware of the thrust of the argument which would say this would encourage
        others to do likewise.
        160 Class of Nonviolence
        If others do likewise, they must be dealt with at that time.
        I am also impressed with the argument that this might in some way constitute a
        disparity of sentence, that you individuals have not been properly punished for your offense
        because some others might not be deterred from doing that.
        I really wonder about the constitutionality of sentencing one person for a crime that
        may be committed by another person at another time and place.
        It is also difficult for me to equate the sentence I here give you – for destroying
        $36,000 worth of property, because you have been charged — with those who stole
        $3,600,000 worth of property and were not charged, demoted, or in any way punished.
        My conscience is clear. We will adjourn the Court.
        Reprinted from Northern Sun News

18. Ray Harris

Just de-criminalize it, take the money out of the equation and all the social issues go away. The drug lords are no different then Wall St. or Washington, DC . It’s all about the money.

19. Will O'D

RON PAUL You hold the power to Legalize Pot it is not a Bad thing people know this issue very well, It would benifit our Country as a whole increasing revenue after imposing a slight tax on the Plant that God gave us!!!!!

20. Ryan from California

Lets treat this as a health issue! Lets free up our resources

21. longshotlouie

WSJ: U.S. Marijuana Legalization Only Solution to Mexican Drug Cartel Crisis

22. SS

Coming Feb. 15th

‘How Weed Won The West’

23. Ryan Mc

I am 42 years old, retired Airforce. I never smoked marijuna until after early retirement from the military. I have smoked cigarets since I was 16 and I am addicted to them. I use to suffer from debilitating migranes followed by nausua. After I began smoking MJ I have not have not had a migraine since. although i do not smoke MJ on a regular basis (around 1 every 3 to 6 months) I do not think it is as addictive as cigarets. I have never wanted to use any other HARDER drug. I would like to be free to purchase a pack of LEGAL TAXED MJ Cigarets at my local corner store or Bottle shop. We are supposed to live in a free country, but we don’t. Legalization of MJ WOULD remove the profits from the underground market and give income to the country I swore to defend. Weather you agree with my position or not dosent matter. What does matter is my freedom to chose for my self.

24. GEORGE

I found your blog on google and read a few Thanks for the information you mentioned here, I’m looking forward to see your future posts. Cheers !! My blog http://backpacking.blogono.com/

25. longshotlouie

“Unthinking respect for authority is the greatest enemy of truth.”
    ~ Albert Einstein

1. Idiot Wind

Hello Longshotlouie! I haven’t been on the web log for awhile but remember your very informative, insightful and well researched posts on the abortion blog on this site. You inspired me to reach deeper into an understanding of the life we’ve been given to live on this planet. Our constitution allows us the right to life, liberty and the persuit of happiness. Our democracy says this country should be run by the people and for the people. My two questions at this time are: Will this country ever pass a law to stop the holocaust in our own backyards? My second question is: Why does the government not see a “pot of gold” by legalizing, regulating and taxing marijuana? Our country could get out of debt by defeating prohibition and saving our jails and prisons for the real criminals.
      Theses are my two hopes. That sanctity of life will reappear and after being born, being able to enjoy the life God gave us. Happy Hannukah, everyone :)

1. Dylan Cyr

I totally agree!!!!!!!!!

26. Suasponta

Sean, we are a nation of drug users, and obviously you haven’t figured that out. Pharmaceutical companies and doctors are the “social drug pushers” but, I guess that’s OK by you since the TV, Actors and the FDA says it is. Every other commercial that’s forced into our faces or shoved into our ears is about taking a drug for whatever ailment that ails you. Don’t think for 1 second that your brand of hypocrisy doesn’t stink or runs from the light of day.

27. sean

It’s funny how the people on drugs argue for legalization while the people not on drugs (voting citizens) are against the legalization of drugs. Of course the voting citizens are going to make a difference in the law of the land. There is an interesting lack of social individuality when it comes to drugs. Remember, there has to be a social movement by the people in order to change anything.

1. Nate Y

Social individuality is just another confused and confusing term. Something a Professor with a post-modernist bent would assign to his teaching assistants for research.

Your statement that “It’s funny how the people on drugs argue for legalization while the people not on drugs (voting citizens) are against the legalization of drugs.” is so absurd it can be safely dismissed without a second thought. I know plenty of people who have never done illegal drugs (myself included) who are completely in favor of legalization. But such arguments miss the heart of the matter. If you accept the ethic of liberty, if you believe that the individual is sovereign, then you have absolutely no reason to argue against the legalization of drugs. If people have thier liberty, they are free to do whatever they want with their own bodies. They are free to enjoy the benefits and suffer the damages of drug use.

2. Bill

Sean the social movement right now to legalize Marijuana is probably greater than the movement to keep it illegal….maybe you should do some research bfore you post something ignorant buddy!

28. Suasponta

One other tidbit of info that probably most reading and posting comments here were unaware of; Our current Vice-President was the architect of the ONDCP ( Office of National Drug Control Policy ) The Anti-Marijuana Governmental Propaganda Office.

29. Suasponta

Idiot Wind, why should you feel like a criminal because of your Christian beliefs? Breaking a man made law like this, has nothing to do with God’s law. Some laws are so wrong, so asinine, like the criminalization of marijuana and Hemp, that even the law makers themselves can’t put up a good argument for them anymore. Their more worried about losing their political seat by appearing soft on crime because the government has associated marijuana with crime for so long, when the truth of the matter is that prohibition is the basis of crime itself. The law markers and law enforcement have bolstered the myths and lies concerning this issue for so long that to jump the fence and become a proponent of decriminalization, or legalization of marijuana, would be the equivalent of having to admit that it was all lies from the conception of criminalizing Hemp and Marijuana. And, in essence admit the policy was wrong and it was all propaganda, and basically apologize to the American public for being hypocrites and not really representing the people, but the law enforcement agencies that perpetrate the prohibition of Marijuana. If you would like some history concerning this please go this website: http://theunionmovie.com/TheUnionWeb.html watch the dvd and it will open your eyes to the history of marijuana prohibition. The man responsible for paving this road to hell was Harry Anslinger. If you have never heard of him then you need to. He was the architect of marijuana prohibition. If I could go back in time and off someone to change the course of history for the better, Hitler would be first on the list, Anslinger a close second.

1. Idiot Wind

Thank you, Suaspanta. Not just for being on my side, but for the information and link. I haven’t had a chance to go to the link yet, but will. I think well informed adults should be able to use hemp and I don’t know that in my lifetime it will be legalized; I doubt it. I don’t go out looking for it every week or so, but buy enough to last me 3 to 4 months, and I do it at home, in the evening. I don’t drive or take it with me whenever I go somewhere. Sometimes the laws make you a prisoner in your own home. It shouldn’t have to be this way. Thanks again.

30. Idiot Wind

I believe marijuana should be legalized, both for the medical needs and recreational use of the user. It should be available like alcohol and cigarettes, which are both drugs. Think of the waste of taxpayers money on putting a marijuana user in jail. I agree that the harder drugs, such as heroin, cocaine, methamphetamine, should still be outlawed. Our first president grew it in his backyard. Let’s put a tax on and legalize marijuana; let the states grow and sell it, like alcohol and nicotine. It’s foolishness to make a person a criminal, if he works all week and wants to relax at home on weekends– this should not be a crime. And the help it gives to people like me, who suffer with fibromyalgia, arthritis and depression, should not be a crime. I feel like a criminal, and that in itself is criminal. My psychiatrists and doctors agree with me that it does help, but being a Christian, I feel guilty. Someone, please, do something about this. Thank you.

31. Keith

The federal government simply has no constitutional authority to prohibit individuals from consuming any substances. That’s all that needs to be said. I would not want to see it enforced at the state level either. Communities should decide such matters locally, without any interference from the federal agencies. In cases in which there is no violent behavior, it should be dealt with as a medical or pychological problem, not a criminal case requiring punishment.

32. Mike

I hate this new Puritanism. I like to drink a glass of bourbon and smoke a cigarette once a week after a week at work. Now, thanks to Nazi-esque legislation like HR 1256, my brand of cigarette is banned. I’m a 30 year old man, not a child. It’d be nice if the government treated me that way. Now, I could either A) buy the cigar version of my favorite cigarette, which is 6X worse than cigarettes becaause I’m used to inhaling or B) importing them from some shady vendor in Indonesia. Kudos to teh gov’t for trying to make criminals out of law-abiding citizens.

33. Michael

“The ‘war on drugs’ is winnable by starting a nation-wide drug testing program whereby everyone is tested once a month.”

Are you nuts? That would cost a fortune and most drugs are out of your system in a couple days so that would do absolutely nothing and lets say it did. If somebody wasn’t clean, what would we do, Lock them up? Then we would be right back where we started. Wow, the ignorance never fails to surprise me with some people. Not legalize, decriminalize. Addicts are not criminals, they are human beings with a disease that should be treated as such. Stop spending on jails and slave labor and put clinics in there instead to help them. Most want help.

34. Chris Taylor

Drugs don’t make people commit crimes, bad perception of reality makes people commit crimes, recreational drugs can produce that bad perception, but so can Legal antidepressants. The truth is that people in suffering should have the right to choose what way they diminish suffering, Be it drugs legal or illegal, meditation or what have you. There are just as many crimes committed due to addiction to money or sex or hate as there are committed to get high. Adding suffering to people that are only trying to find a way to reduce their suffering is the largest CRIME of all. DO i think all drugs should be legal, yes. So many other forms of addiction are legal, and any Buddhist will tell you, WHAT EVER YOU SUPPRESS IN SOCIETY WILL ONLY ASCEND. You suppress porn it ends op everywhere. You suppress sex, rape happens. You suppress drugs people start killing each other over them. The future of this world is going to be very unpleasant if people don’t find a way to produce FORGIVENESS and COMPASSION, That includes our government. We will be the cause of our own suffering because we cannot let go of grudges and revenge. SECURITY IS AN ILLUSION, SOME DAY DEATH WILL COME TO EVERY ONE, accept it, and be free.

1. Reese

I could not agree more, bro. Well said; props for that.

35. Reese

wow, and another thing. daniel, to be blunt about it, you should be admitted…or at least see a psychiatrist. it’s people like you that have me horrified at what the future of america could be. get a clue…you are crazy….psycho.