The 2011 Ames Straw Poll took place on August 13, 2011 at the Hilton Coliseum on the campus of Iowa State University.
Ron Paul came in a strong second. The Congressman gained 27.65% of the vote, closely missing Michele Bachmann’s 28.56% by only 152 votes, but easily surpassing Tim Pawlenty, Rick Santorum, Herman Cain and other candidates.
Ames Straw Poll Results
- 28.56% (4,823 votes) – Michele Bachmann
- 27.65% (4,671 votes) – Ron Paul
- 13.57% (2,293 votes) – Tim Pawlenty
- 9.81% (1,657 votes) – Rick Santorum
- 8.62% (1,456 votes) – Herman Cain
- 4.25% (718 votes) – Rick Perry (write-in)
- 3.36% (567 votes) – Mitt Romney
- 2.28% (385 votes) – Newt Gingrich
- 0.41% (69 votes) – Jon Huntsman
- 0.21% (35 votes) – Thaddeus McCotter
- Of the remaining 218 votes, 162 were presumably cast for random minor write-in candidates, and 56 were presumably invalid.
16,892 total votes.
Ron Paul’s campaign chairman Jesse Benton said:
“Dr. Paul is surging in this race, and today’s results show the strength of his grassroots support and top notch organization. These straw poll results, our growing poll numbers and our strong fundraising shows that our message is resonating with Iowans and Americans everywhere.
Our message was the same in 2007 as it is in now in 2011, but this time we have quadrupled our support. That means our message is spreading, our support is surging, and people are taking notice. We are uniting a coalition of longtime supporters, fiscal conservatives, constitutional conservatives, independents, tea party and anti-big government activists to take on the Washington establishment.
Today, Ron Paul has emerged as a top tier candidate and is a serious contender to win the Republican nomination and the Presidency.”
Ron Paul’s Weekend in Ames, Iowa
Ron Paul gave several speeches and interviews during his visit to Ames, Iowa:
- Ron Paul’s Pro-Life Speech in Ames, Iowa
- Ron Paul’s Soapbox Speech: Uphold the Constitution and Defend Liberty
- Ron Paul Gaining Momentum in Iowa Straw Poll
- Ron Paul: Rick Perry Will Dilute the Establishment Vote
- Ron Paul Rockstar
- The Fed Is the Counterfeiter of Last Resort
Mainstream Media Ignores Ron Paul, Removes Him From “Top Tier” of GOP Candidates
Despite Ron Paul‘s near-victory at the Ames straw poll, the mainstream media completely ignored him on Sunday and Monday to an extent that the silence became a story of its own:
- Jon Stewart of The Daily Show did a segment to call out the media’s disconnect from Ron Paul.
- Jack Cafferty of CNN risked his job by courageously making an unscheduled announcement about Ron Paul’s strong performance.
- Finally, Piers Morgan and Judge Napolitano invited Ron Paul to their shows on Monday evening…
- …and on Tuesday, Ron Paul appeared on Fox News to explain his positions and talk about his plan to change the course of history.