Who Is Ron Paul?

1774 Responses

Ron Paul is the leading advocate for freedom in our nation’s capital. As a former member of the U.S. House of Representatives, Dr. Paul tirelessly works for limited, constitutional government, low taxes, free markets, and a return to sound monetary policies. He is known among his congressional colleagues and his constituents for his consistent voting record. Dr. Paul never voted for legislation unless the proposed measure was expressly authorized by the Constitution. In the words of former Treasury Secretary William Simon, Dr. Paul is the “one exception to the Gang of 535″ on Capitol Hill.

Ron Paul was born and raised in Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania. He graduated from Gettysburg College and the Duke University School of Medicine, before proudly serving as a flight surgeon in the U.S. Air Force during the 1960s. He and his wife Carol moved to Texas in 1968, where he began his medical practice in Brazoria County. As a specialist in obstetrics/gynecology, Dr. Paul has delivered more than 4,000 babies. He and Carol, who reside in Lake Jackson, Texas, are the proud parents of five children and have 17 grandchildren.

While serving in Congress during the late 1970s and early 1980s, Dr. Paul’s limited-government ideals were not popular in Washington. In 1976, he was one of only four Republican congressmen to endorse Ronald Reagan for president.

During that time, Congressman Paul served on the House Banking committee, where he was a strong advocate for sound monetary policy and an outspoken critic of the Federal Reserve’s inflationary measures. He was an unwavering advocate of pro-life and pro-family values. Dr. Paul consistently voted to lower or abolish federal taxes, spending and regulation, and used his House seat to actively promote the return of government to its proper constitutional levels. In 1984, he voluntarily relinquished his House seat and returned to his medical practice.

Dr. Paul returned to Congress in 1997 to represent the 14th congressional district of Texas. He served on the House Committee on Financial Services and the House Committee on Foreign Affairs. After retiring from Congress in early 2013, Ron Paul continues to advocate a dramatic reduction in the size of the federal government and a return to constitutional principles.

Ron Paul’s consistent voting record prompted one of his congressional colleagues to say, “Ron Paul personifies the Founding Fathers’ ideal of the citizen-statesman. He makes it clear that his principles will never be compromised, and they never are.” Another colleague observed, “There are few people in public life who, through thick and thin, rain or shine, stick to their principles. Ron Paul is one of those few.”

Brief Overview of Congressman Paul’s Record:

• He has never voted to raise taxes.
  • He has never voted for an unbalanced budget.
  • He has never voted for a federal restriction on gun ownership.
  • He has never voted to raise congressional pay.
  • He has never taken a government-paid junket.
  • He has never voted to increase the power of the executive branch.
  • He voted against the Patriot Act.
  • He voted against regulating the Internet.
  • He voted against the Iraq war.
  • He does not participate in the lucrative congressional pension program.
  • He returns a portion of his annual congressional office budget to the U.S. treasury every year.

On the Issues: Audit the Federal Reserve, Our Money, Taxes, National Defense, Border Security, Civil Liberties, Health Care, Abortion, Education, War on Drugs, Global Warming

1,774 responses to “Who Is Ron Paul?”

1. RFS, British Columbia

I am a Canadian, but my friends and I have always taken an avid interest in American politics. I admit that when I first started looking up the candidates I instinctively went for McCain since he was the main right wing candidate. However, I have since done a great deal of research and talked to many people on the topic, and it is obvious to me that Ron Paul is by far the best choice. He will save and improve the American economy and historically the American economy has been closely tied to the Canadian economy. Not only that but he will restore the civil liberties that America was built on. so even though I can’t vote, I urge all who can to vote for Ron Paul in ’08.

1. Gregory

How about Canadians mind their own politics and we will mind ours. Being a libertarian is also about countries staying out of other countries domestic affairs. We can all thank you for your support of Ron Paul when you become an American citizen.

1. RFS

Part of being an intelligent, aware individual is being aware of and taking an interest in politics outside of your own country. Refrain from posting any more asinine comments.

1. Gregory

I won’t get into a message war with a Canadian about AMERICAN politics (THIS would be asinine), so I’ll just say to all AMERICANS that there is a difference between being “aware of and taking and interest in politics outside of your own country” and “urging all people to vote” for an individual in someone ELSE’s country. (One of our Canadian friends cannot seem to differentiate) While I love that folks love our guy Ron Paul, other nation’s domestic political campaigns should NOT be the business of the United States and vice versa. The United States entering into another nation’s political process is the exact kind of thing Ron Paul has openly fought against and this is a two way street. Others nation’s citizens should stay out of ours. But I guess this is what America gets….the U.S. has stuck its head into so may other nation’s affairs that now any lughead from Canada who has done “a great deal of research” :-) feels they have a duty comment on our needs that should be “restored” or whatever. So it is somewhat America’s fault, we have helped to create these nit wits. In an odd way, I am sort of glad they exist though…they remind me and others that Canada still exists up there. I always forget about them…

1. Tobywonken

Is the name calling and stereotyping necessary? It’s childish and doesn’t do much for your credibility. I am a Canadian and I HAVE done “a great deal of research” on US politics. In fact, it has consumed the better part of these past 3 years for me. I am in the process of getting dual citizenship JUST so my support for Ron may have more of an impact.

I am also not a “Lughead” because I was born on a chunk of land a little further north than you. You need to stop seeing people as groups my friend. I check this website everyday along with about 10 other sites that support the same causes. The reason us Canadians are concerned is because the economy of the US directly affects our economy.

Our country is also becoming increasingly more deindustrialized and unemployed. In fact, my wife and I have both lost our jobs and were forced to sell our home. I will not sit back and let this North American Union rob us of our civil liberties and freedoms. We are just as in this as you are my friend. Mexico too.

You may see us as your insignificant little sister country that wishes we could someday be as wonderful as your country, but we are people. Our mothers loves us. We love them back.

I see America as the country it once was though. America was once a country that the whole world admired. Now it is hated and seen as bullies, that want to take over the world. It is the tyranny of this big government. Sometimes an outsider has a better perspective on things. End the Fed!

2. Gregory

Okie Doke.

2. John Hancock, Sr.

Dr. Paul,

You’ve got my vote. I’ve heard of you and heard of you, and finally I decided to check you out. I’m very impressed with what I’ve read and you seem like what this country needs. Aside from a good kick in the ass, that is. I do hope people will learn more about you and keep you in the runnings. You will definitely have my vote and I will do everything I can to get my friends and family to vote for you as well.

John Hancock

3. kelly

Even though Ron Paul dropped out of the race, don’t forget you can write him in! Keep the hope alive and make sure your vote counts!

4. William Wells

This is taking on a “Who is John Galt” Ayn Rand sort of feel. The nation is starving for true leadership and fresh ideas that reflect American values and the Constitution. If nothing else happens this elections cycle perhaps this will be a wake up call for the two party system. Carry the message, change Washington back to a government of the people by the people and FOR the people.

5. Richard Ross aka Joe Sixpack

Ron Paul is a HERO of the first magnatude. He is a Man with Conviction, Integrity and Honor, steadfast in his views! He speaks the Truth and has no need to flip flop on the issues and his voting record is second to none. His positions are clear. It is his party that has abandoned the Principles of our Founding Fathers. Beware the Dark Horse…. the Revolution is as strong as ever! I will take the first bullet for him!

6. Scott

I’ll write Ron Paul in. I refuse to vote for a Democrat and McCain isn’t much better than Osama.

7. Eric Kennedy

Ron,
    I know you said once that ” the repulican party has lost its way” of what it means to be repulican. I tend to agree, this is why I think you should run Independent if the repulican party in general won’t give the support you need. Then show them what a libertarian can do and run idependant! A large amount of people don’t care for Mccain or Obama so much. This is another good reason to run and give them that other option! Go Ron Paul!

8. Michael Donoho

Mr. Paul,

As a resident of Jackson, Michigan one notice signs that proudly state, ” Birth Place of the Republican Party.” Last President election the majority of of the residents of Jackson voted Democrat.
    If the birth place of the Republican party lost faith then a drastic change in the party is needed, Mr. McCann is not that person who wants to make those changes nor is he capable. He will loose if the GOP, and big government go forward with their plans. Unfortunatly the biggest losses will be in our country for people like myself who have fought and in some cases died for the principal of the freedoms you speak. Don’t give up if the GOP fails, the world, including the birth place of the Republican Party are behind you.

9. Sean Parks

Ron Paul, Please re-launch your campaign and show these politicians what America really needs! We need our freedom back, and the sooner they realize that the sooner our problems will be faced. I belive you could lead that revolution into prosperity!

10. Scott Ochodnicky

Dr. Paul, as a fellow constituent I beg and urge you to PLEASE run in the general election as an independent and make an announcement accordingly ASAP to your supporters asking them to ramp up the fight for freedom for 2008. You can win. I hear people all of the time say they don’t like either of the two candidates and they’re now trying to figure out whom else they can vote for. There’s lots of time and your supporters will work hard to raise money and gain new voters. We need you to lead and to let us know via message to supporters that you’re going all of the way!

THANKS!

11. Gerrell Davis

I’m very upset that I’ve been kept ignorant in regards to Dr. Ron Paul!

This guy is incredible, I’ve never been this pissed off and excited about an election before.

How dare our corrupt media! How dare they unfairly broadcast Dr. Paul.

I say we make them pay.

Not violently mind you, but we should find a way to destroy them for there crimes against the american people.

I refuse to turn the other cheek while they continue to brainwash my fellow americans!

I refuse!

12. Cassandra Bachrach

Calling all Ron Paul supporters!

Let’s start today…RIGHT NOW…to persuade as many people as possible to WRITE IN Ron Paul’s name on the November ballot. Our goal, in short, will be for Ron Paul to win the popular vote for U.S. President.

A wise person once said that if you want something badly enough, you can find a way to make it happen.

IT CAN HAPPEN.

WRITE IN RON PAUL FOR PRESIDENT IN ‘08!!
    Winner of the vote of THE PEOPLE.

Cassandra
    bk2nchr@hotmail.com

13. Laurence

Dr. Paul,
    I think you should continue your march on Washington as an Independent candidate. You and Jesse Ventura would be my ideal ticket. Who was on watch when our country was taken from us? Why is “We the People” their favorite punchline? My eyes have been opened and I am awake. Run and wake the sleeping giant. There is still hope. God bless.

14. sabatov

Dr. Ron Paul is the true representative of American People. He understand the real problems what we all face; illegal invasion, not immigration, purposefull ruining our money trough inflation. They want to “prepare our children for the future jobs”. What jobs..? You call a company for help to solve a problem , you get an answer from India., and our people can not find a job here in the United States.
    Please Dr. Paul fight for us. Thank you.

15. Manirul

Dear Ron Paul,

You are hope for america. You will make dreams reality. You will restore the constitution. You will stop torture in Guantanamo Bay. You will save our troops. You will make our government trustworthy again. You will make this country a true democracy like our founding fathers wanted it to be. You will make a better future for us and our children. I ask that you do whatever it takes to become president. If you are not elected president than there is no hope for people like me and we will have to move to a better nation.

16. Matthew Anderson of Michigan

We’ve got the federal reserve printing our money and charging us massive amounts of interest to ‘borrow’ which contributes a hefty amount to our national debt. A non-government run organization whose sole purpose is to make paper plots that have nothing to back up their worth except for the number the put into the corner and how much is actually in circulation.

we have a pointless war that costs up to 720 million dollars that isn’t meant to end. Just meant to be sustained and use up more money. Where does this money come from? It is once again borrowed from the fed which places even more debt onto the mass we’ve accumulated since the fed was instated.

we are royally screwing ourselves without even the slightest care. The majority of people believe the attacks on 911(another story in itself) has something to do with the war in the middle east. Are we even still looking for bin laden? We managed to find saddam hiding in some random hole but finding bin laden seems to be a lost cause.

there’s only one candidate who can see these evils in our society and, in my opinion, sincerely wants to help eradicate them. Ron Paul is a true American. A true politician of the people unlike the opposing candidates of both parties who seem to just be businessmen.

The sad thing is Paul probably wont win. His messages will die out with the next election and we’ll all be taken through this loop again. We need to stand up for this guy. For ourselves. If Paul isn’t going to win we at least need to do everything possible to make his messages heard. To pass it down to future generations and maybe, if we haven’t ruined everything, some one down the line will be able to pick up where he left off.

He needs a fighting chance. He needs to have his word spread. The media is too busy over the controversy of the democratic race while McCain slowly creeps in from under all of it. My prediction is that McCain will win. Which trust me we do NOT want him to be president. All he wants is to continue where Bush left off.

Watch the movie Zeitgeist. You may not believe everything in there but the things stated in that documentary reflect a lot on what is happening and what is going to happen. Even if you are a devout Christian skip passed that part and watch the rest. If that doesn’t make you angry then there really is no hope for us.

Thank you Ron Paul. You have inspired a lot of people including myself. If ever I thought some one could change and save this country it is you.

You have my unending support and I pray you find your way. If there is anything I can do to help email me

remusjlupin@comcast.net

if anyone has any questions or wishes to comment on things I’ve said feel free. Even negative feedback will help

17. Brad

I am so thankful to see that someone like Ron Paul is stepping up and getting his name out to the public. People need to vote for this man and get Bush out of office.
    Finally someone who is speaking the truth!

18. The argument over “what is” : Joshs Blog

[...] the Presidential election, someone tried to change “what is”. Ron Paul, a congressmen under the GOP banner, refreshed many (including my uncle), but failed miserably [...]

19. Elijah Jordan Henry

Hello, Dr. Ron Paul
    I am seventeen, about to turn eighteen. I will vote for the first time in November, and you will get my vote. Everything you say makes sense, and is in line with the Founding Fathers’ originally intended interpretation of the Constitution. Every time I speak with someone about politics, (which is often), I bring your name up. I usually manage to get them to promise to google you, and find out what you are all about. Most people seem to be unreasonably consigned to “settling for” one of the three politicians being pushed upon us by the mainstream media… It is absolutely appalling. Hardly anybody realizes that there are true statesmen, like you, alive today, and that they can vote for somebody with the insight and wisdom to save America.
    YHWH bless, and
    Maranatha

1. barry

good to hear, this too will be the first person i vote for ever,

30 years old and i never had a reason to vote until now.

20. Liz

after growing up with Regan, I can now after the last 8 years of spend, spend, spend and a needless war say that I am not a Republican. I’m a Conservative looking for a candidate who has a brain and will stop running our country into the ground. Obama is NOT the answer either, people. I think so many people are wanting something different, they are not seeing that we are getting set up for another Jimmy Carter. I think many Obama supporters need to read Ron Paul’s section about how higher taxes will crush the economy. Most of them are so hell bent on penalizing those who have more than they do, they don’t realize how higher taxes for everyone will hurt them as well. Thanks Ron – I think we’re screwed either way in Nov., but will be voting for you.

21. Nathan

Keep it up. I’m not a republican, but I will most certainly be voting for you this year. If you’re not on the ballot, I will write you in, and I hope all the other Ron Paul supporters would do the same. Your vote is never “wasted”, no matter whom you vote for.

22. Wilma

Please stay in the race we need you to overcome the terrible mess the others have gotten us into. No one else seems to care. ( only for their power ). No thought for our BEAUTIFUL COUNTRY and what it was founded on. They are destroying it very fast. I hope it is not to late for a turn around. Wilma

23. Calvin Scott

I am an Obama supporter, but, for what it’s worth, you are my second choice. I see your belief in the U.S., and that you are willing to share your thoughts even when others may disagree with them. Being able to stand up, surrounded by far-right conservatives, and denounce the Bush administration and call for the end of the iraq war is a bold, and admirable act.

Stay in the race, and present a better alternative for Republicans.

1. wayen

so hows that “hopey-changey” working out for you?

2. Gregory

If only Obama had been the “better alternative” for the Democrats.

24. Will Staudt

Ron Paul is the ONLY candidate in my 23 years as a registered voter that I have agreed with on EVERY issue! We as Americans should not ” have to settle for ” the other candidates just because our parties tell us they are “the right choice”. I am a lifelong Democrat, but I vote for what I believe in. Ron Paul will be my ONLY choice come November. My friends and family are with me on that as well.

25. Prakesh Dhuro

Hi Ron–

You seem cool and clean. Keep it up, brother.

26. Syndi Sego

I need to get some ron paul signs, you put on the ground. How much are they and how do I get them? I have 4 little kids and they are all for Ron Paul, and i want to put signs in my yard for them. Thank you!

Syndi Sego

27. amy

Congressman Paul:

Please keep fighting and running in the race. I have a 20 year old who will be allowed to vote for the first time this year, and he wants no other candidate than you. He says that if there is not a write-in blank where he can write “Ron Paul” then he simply isn’t going to vote this time around. I consider myself personally I guess mainly a *constitutionalist* and a sort of centrist libertarian, if such a thing exists… The “big three” candidates aren’t getting it, certainly nobody in this current administration gets it, and I don’t understand what is so difficult: our Founding Fathers GOT IT RIGHT. They didn’t whip out the Constitution overnight; they took their time with it, a long time, and in their wisdom they tried to imagine or foresee any possible problemm that could arise in the United States from the documents they completed and signed. There are, of course, they couldn’t have really planned for… (illegal immigration)? But if you read their documents and think like them if you are able and imbued with that much intelligence – and you are, sir, Dr. Paul, I believe, you can use the knowledge they’ve expressed to solve most any problems. Will we *ever* go back to what was intended for this country? The things that you so wisely have spoken of? They got it right. What we are experiencing now is corruption, idiocy, the good ol’ boy system … well, you’re a Texan like I am and you know about the presidential family and certain ties they have. When will America open their eyes and see? My son assures that that your message is “getting out”, that it might take some time, that you might unfortunately have passed the ideal age, but that it is being very much embraced by many young people and their numbers will grow. You Are In The Right, Dr. Paul. I cannot say that about any other candidate. I wish for you the best; I was very anti-Republican until my son sent me to your site and had me just read where you stand. My first thought was, “Wow, that’s really what they had in mind when they wrote the Constitution…” And he was like, Exactly, and that’s why he gets my vote. I am so proud of you for running on this platform; I do believe, let me say again, I do believe that someday soon, this message will catch on. Never give up. I know I won’t. My son. (He met you, by the way, at an appearance in Tyler or Shreveport or somewhere near there. He told you, “You are the one who inspired me to go to medical school.” You talked about how good that was and talked about your granddaughter who was nearby. Well, Doctor Paul, my son does indeed start pre-med next month. You helped him reach that decision. He wants to do research in Neurology. Thank you for the fantastic ideas you have given all of us who are listening; I have wanted to say what you’ve said for years but didn’t have the words. And thank you for influencing, to whatever degree, my son, who’ll begin LSU in June. Bless you, much happiness to you and yours. You are much admired. Thanks, Amy in Longview, Texas

28. Michelle

I was watching the “Who is Ron Paul” video. It honestly moved me to tears. My heart breaks for what has happened to this country. It is so far from where it should be. It makes me sick. He represents everything I stand for. I wish people would get the message. Honestly, during the debates, he was not given any fair chance by the media. He was treated badly and cut off mid sentence over and over again. He is a decent man with integrity. This is the type of president we need. The three still in the running are not worthy to lead this nation. Thank you Ron for being the voice of reason.

29. Tara

Please Mr. Paul…..stay in the race. This military town in NC needs your help. Too many are dying. We need someone to stop it.

30. Jamey D. Olsen

Stay the course. I really believe you are the best choice for president and believe in what you talk about.
    I have talked with many people and a lot of the public does not know who you are and are planning on voting for the person they dislike the least.
    A few people I know have been trying to educate these people, but again if people do not know who you are and what you stand for it is hard to convince these people to rock the vote.
    If you have it in you power try and get more publicity, and ads of some form.
    Some myspace.com, youtube.com videos would be a start to influence the generation I am refering to.
    Good Luck Sir.

31. Jenni

Thank you for trying to help keep the American Dream alive. I am not sure when the republican party stopped having the values that you hold, but I am glad to see someone standing up for the free market!

32. Cris Solana

Ron Paul rocks. He is a true republican – for the republic. He is firm in his voting record and he wants to decentralize the power of the federal government that has led us into this war, inflation, “recession”, as well as, becoming the most hated nation on the face of the planet as of late. I sure do hope that people wake up and realize that they need to look at candidates voting history and not just their popularity to get this country back on track.

1. Mike Koch

Ron Paul is not a republican(sorry) He may run on that ticket. If Ron is what I think, then he’s Libertarian

1. Wild Blue

More Republicans should be Libertarians…

33. Chris Beringer

As far as additional videos go, you should post every time Ron Paul questioned a Fed Chairman. It’s very interesting to note that Ron Paul was worried about an inflationay bubble back in July and warned Ben Bernake about it. Of course, he wasn’t listened to, but if you track the things that Ron Paul feared happened, happened (gas prices out of control, food prices out of control and a worthless dollar). Unlike most policy makers who wait for problems to happen and then address them, Ron Paul anticipates them and tries to solve them before they get out of control.

If they don’t post them here, they are easy to find on You Tube. Just type Ron Paul / Ben Bernake and those videos pop right up.

34. michael cislo

hey ron paul please stay in the race for president because my grampa really votes for you

35. Kevin Frankel

Please stay in the race Ron Paul we cannot have these other candidates win the white house. We need a fresh view on how politics are done. We need people to understand that taxes take away money from themselves and the war effort is just dragging and hurting our economy. People need to understand if we pull out of the war, the world will not come to a conclusion. Please more visible so that people can see your serious about being in the presidential race. Have a great day

1. Greg

The only good man in politics.

2. Jim Allen

When will we see Ron Paul for the Senate? Your true conservative voice would serve Texas well in the Senate. I’m afraid your colleagues who currently hold the office are “more of the same” and don’t really understand conservatism. Our government needs balance and it seems that we only get intolerance from most of the Republican Party these last many years. I’m sure the gold standard and no IRS won’t occur while I’m alive, but someone needs to be pounding a desk with those ideals where it can be heard! Not to marginalize the Congress, but 1 of 100 can be heard where I think your voice is being lost in the growing sea of the House.
      Kay Bailey Hutchison says she is stepping down in October or November…

1 2 3 32